View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 45 of 71 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast
    10% per year is not even close. And the numbers for Q4 last year indicate the defections are slowing as the loss actually was not as bad as investors were predicting, we will see how the long term projections look. Meanwhile, the everything plans are a good value and Sprint needs to get more customers on them because their operating costs are fixed regardless of the number of subscribers on the network. The Pre is their means of doing so. If people want it and it is a big draw they will be able to turn the tide. Additionally, everything plans provide a means of simplifying billing and reducing billing complaints (e.g., why was I charged so much for all this data) as another commenter noted was a past problem, so that adds another win for Sprint.

You argue that prices for the hot new phone are the same across carriers, I would argue that that opinion only holds if you ignore plan rates. Yes the equipment costs will be the same, the costs of plans will vary widely.

I also think your argument falls apart somewhat, you agree that having the hot phone matters but then you claim that it was the everything plans that sprint though were the draw not the instinct. If it worked that way, your claim about the instinct's failure being due to everything plans would make sense. However, if the phone leads sales then your argument falls apart. It was a weak phone for what it was advertised to be. Yes some people probably balked at the thought of the everything plan, but they are probably significantly fewer than the people who just didn't like the phone.

Yes you are opposed to everything plans and would love to keep your existing contract, you may still be able to but don't expect the new contract price for it. And if they don't allow it, you get to choose. Jump ship for an iPhone or a G1 or a Storm and pay more on those contracts, keep the existing phone and rate, or jump to Pre and change plans. Sprint needs subscribers but it also needs them paying, the only way to get people to pay more without pissing everyone off is to use major releases to push service, like it or not. If Sprint grows its subscriber base 10m per quarter but doesn't see a any decline in its loss column (or worse an increase in losses), then what does it matter that they are serving that many more people?
    To some silly as this may sound but have you ever heard of Ma Bell? Business is Business, now they may have come from railroads but they're still trying harder & it is great to read your intelligence that those who cannot afford or wish to be with certain carriers may learn the differences, don't stop. Thanks
    yeah im pretty sure the palm pre will not work on the sero plan

i have the sero 500 plan and would LOVE to have the pre but im just not seeing it happening

its a bummer but i guess its nice to see my $30 bill every month haha
    Did you think you would pay 30 bucks a month for cell service forever? Welcome back to reality.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I wonder if this gets merged into the "Plans" thread since every discussion over SERO seems to get moved there?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    10% per year is not even close. And the numbers for Q4 last year indicate the defections are slowing as the loss actually was not as bad as investors were predicting, we will see how the long term projections look.
    Sprint had 53.8 million subscribers at the end of 2007, their number at year end 08 was 49.3 mil. Their quarterly defections remained at 1.3 mil so I don't see where you're drawing your data from as there is no slowdown in customer losses. Their quarterly loss was lower than expected which is credited to several cost cutting measures they've enacted and lower than expected write-offs of assets. Long term projections are 'good' as in their losses are lower than in previous quarters, but they're still losses and not insignificant ones at that ($1.6 billion for Q408)

Meanwhile, the everything plans are a good value and Sprint needs to get more customers on them because their operating costs are fixed regardless of the number of subscribers on the network. The Pre is their means of doing so. If people want it and it is a big draw they will be able to turn the tide.
    The Everything Plans are competitively priced relative to other plans with similar bundling from other carriers, making them a strong selling points to new customers looking for unlimited packages and willing to come to Sprint. The downside is the Everything Plans aren't as customizable as other carriers (they sell each function: texts, data, minutes as options), but they're reasonably priced. The Pre is a method of drawing them in to Sprint, and if its functionality lives up to the promise, it'll be a strong seller. I've said this previously, I see it having stronger than G1 sales, but not by much and don't see this alone being a game changer or tide turner as you describe. I'm certain the sales hype will be there at the launch (records sales figures, supply can't meet demand, best selling phone yet) and it will all sound familiar to anyone that remembers the coverage on the Instinct launch of which many of us were skeptical of. It'll take a couple of quarters to see the full effects, but I expect, based on some of the decisions Sprint makes (which are further addressed in the below), it'll simply slow down that loss. To again restate, the EPs are great, for new customers.

Additionally, everything plans provide a means of simplifying billing and reducing billing complaints (e.g., why was I charged so much for all this data) as another commenter noted was a past problem, so that adds another win for Sprint.
    I find this to be an interesting argument, but one I'm highly skeptical of. Sprint's billing systems are automated. Some complaints I've read of online are that some form of fraud is going on where Sprint is doubling charges every so many months, etc. I stopped seeing stories like this a little over a year ago and it appears this issue has mostly been resolved. I don't recall seeing a post on someone commenting about data charges, but if they're an existing customer on an unlimited plan, I don't see why switching them to an Everything Plan unlimited data would be any more beneficial in avoiding this situation from happening. Glitches happen (ie. the two guys in PA that were charged $26,000 for text messages). If you somehow think this links to older plans, it's an interesting theory. You're only really avoiding this if you're on the SEP, but again, those guys had unlimited plans too and it happened to them, so that point is kinda moot.

You argue that prices for the hot new phone are the same across carriers, I would argue that that opinion only holds if you ignore plan rates. Yes the equipment costs will be the same, the costs of plans will vary widely.
    You're mistaken here. My reference was to the plans. There's not a significant variance between them and there's a scale from those devices that demand the highest premium. Apple is at the top, followed by BB, G1 and the untested Pre. Let's say all existing cell phone plans were cancelled. You had to go in and sign a new contract and buy a new phone. The Pre is definitely on my list, however my approach is more a wait and see. But if the 3rd gen iPhone were out and we're talking a $15 buck per month difference, I'd likely go with that device. Fortunately, Sprint has me on a midrange plan and I'm sticking with them for the moment. Again though, if all plans got wiped out, most folks would jump to AT&T.

I also think your argument falls apart somewhat, you agree that having the hot phone matters but then you claim that it was the everything plans that sprint though were the draw not the instinct. If it worked that way, your claim about the instinct's failure being due to everything plans would make sense. However, if the phone leads sales then your argument falls apart. It was a weak phone for what it was advertised to be. Yes some people probably balked at the thought of the everything plan, but they are probably significantly fewer than the people who just didn't like the phone.
    I think you're mistakenly combining two separate statements and drawing the incorrect conclusions.

The Instinct was to be an iPhone Killer. I think everyone here agrees it was sold as such and ultimately was very far from that idea that was promised. As a device it was in my humblest of opinions, a pitiful competitor to the iPhone. Sprint thought they had something with this phone and tried their damndest to sell it as their iPhone. They also cooked up this idea for Everything Plans as great alternatives to the iPhone plan and all the other Smartphone add on plans out there - the EPs were sold as a 'value package'. The Instinct was never a true smartphone competitor, however its lower plan pricing did draw in some users seeking an iPhone like phone, however, my statement regarding the plans was intended for existing Sprint customers who had data / text features and balked at the idea that you'd need an Everything Plan to activate that device. That said, yes, some new customers did balk at the thought of the required plan for the Instinct and rightfully so. It's one of the least 'smart' phones I've seen out on the market and wouldn't justify its cost to most users.

Yes you are opposed to everything plans and would love to keep your existing contract, you may still be able to but don't expect the new contract price for it.
    Again, I think you're taking a comment of mine out of context. I'm opposed to seeing existing customers asked to upgrade to Everything Plans. I think the EPs are great for new activations. The impression I get is that several of the people who have issues with SERO / older plan users have either upgraded with Sprint recently to EPs or are new Sprint customers with EPs and think since they're paying the EP pricing everyone else should as well and by not doing so are part of Sprint's financial problem, ie. your paragraph 1 about pushing existing users to higher priced plans. In my opinion that is a terrible approach. On a related note, I'm very interested to hear why you feel we shouldn't expect new contract pricing. I'm not fully opposed to it as my issue is with raising the monthly rate however, I'm curious to know why you feel new contract pricing wouldn't be available as normal if we're allowed to keep our older plans with the Pre? Is this a fairness issue you see that EP holders are paying a higher monthly rate and therefore older plan holders shouldn't get new customer pricing?

And if they don't allow it, you get to choose. Jump ship for an iPhone or a G1 or a Storm and pay more on those contracts, keep the existing phone and rate, or jump to Pre and change plans.Sprint needs subscribers but it also needs them paying, the only way to get people to pay more without pissing everyone off is to use major releases to push service, like it or not.
    Yes, I think we all know what the options are here. Looking at my usage, I'd estimate paying $65 at Tmobile, $80 at Verizon, and $85 for the iPhone plus my company discount for the device of 15-20% (can't recall which it is for ATT).

Sprint needs subscribers but it also needs them paying, the only way to get people to pay more without pissing everyone off is to use major releases to push service, like it or not.
    I think here's where we have our fundamental difference you and I. I believe that paying my $55 a month rate for a plan that includes unlimited text and email and 500 minutes is fair. I've been with Sprint through the rough times and here's a promising device to upgrade to. Now I can do the Referral Program and get treated by Sprint and forum members as the next generation SERO leper and pay $60 a month to get the Pre. It's a $5 difference and it makes no difference to me, but there's an issue of principal to it. This has never been about my case, it's about all the existing non EP plan holders who whether its $5 or $20 are being told you've got to pay us more for services you've already have. You say Sprint needs subs, but it 'also needs them paying'. I and many others have been paying and the best way to **** us off is to tell us what we're paying isn't good enough from plans we made some as recently as a year ago. Right now Sprint is rolling out 4G which will be the next major shift in services offered. Sprint would be perfectly in their right to ask customers who get 4G service to pay the determined rate for that service. That's the point to get ARPU up.

If Sprint grows its subscriber base 10m per quarter but doesn't see a any decline in its loss column (or worse an increase in losses), then what does it matter that they are serving that many more people?
    Your example has flawed logic as by that same token, what if your ARPU becomes the best in the industry but you lose half your customers to get there? There are fixed operating costs that must be taken into account. These companies spend hundreds of dollars pursuing new customers. Why push existing ones away? They're still profitable to you and can and likely will raise their feature sets as time progresses (ie. 4G). It's bad business letting these people go and its disappointing seeing any educated person think that it's good business to do so.
    Last edited by Darrion88; 04/26/2009 at 06:07 AM.
    It should, we don't need another rogue thread on it.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Did you think you would pay 30 bucks a month for cell service forever? Welcome back to reality.
    HAHAHAHAHA

Have fun throwing your money away every month!

So what if we miss out on a $100 rebate that the "big boys" qualify for.

$69.99/mo or higher plan to qualify for a $100 rebate.

$69.99 - $30 = $39.99 * 24 months = $959.76. Yes. Almost one thousand dollars extra.

All to qualify for a $100 MIR.

How's that reality for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by gbm85 View Post
    So what if we miss out on a $100 rebate that the "big boys" qualify for.
    How about missing out on the Palm Pre all together? Remember, there's still a chance that Sprint won't activate the phone w/ SERO just like they did with the last major release, the Samsung Instinct.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Not another SERO thread....
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Not another SERO thread....
    At least it's not another "I won't upgrade if I can't stay on SERO" thread.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    How about missing out on the Palm Pre all together? Remember, there's still a chance that Sprint won't activate the phone w/ SERO just like they did with the last major release, the Samsung Instinct.
    That is such BS. Anyone who couldn't get an Instinct activated on SERO either wasn't trying hard enough or didn't know the right people to talk to.

The only difference SERO makes is in the discount you get for re-upping your contract.
    I blame Sprint for allowing that program to get as big as it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    URL: Everything Plus(SM) Referral Program
    E-Mail: russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com
    Last 3 of CID: 383

Reference: McGuire’s Law » Blog Archive » Psst - Have you Heard about Everything Plus?

This information was made public by Russ Mcguire on 7/16/08 in his blog. He's the VP of strategy at Sprint (whatever that means )

Whether the Pre will be on there or not? Every phone has so far..including the Instinct.
    That's very interesting. So the instinct was not on the SERO, but it was on the Everything Plus Referral plan?
    Personally, I don't care what the plans are. I just want a smartphone that works well and provides good value. For myself, it hasn't been the costs of AT&T's plans that's stopped me from getting the iPhone--it's been the limitations of the iPhone itself.

I'm probably unusual in this respect, though, because I plan on paying full price for the Pre, being locked into a 2 year Sprint contract already. And, I just don't have a problem with spending real money for real capabilities that enhance my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbm85 View Post
    That is such BS. Anyone who couldn't get an Instinct activated on SERO either wasn't trying hard enough or didn't know the right people to talk to.
    Policy is policy. The policy states that the Instinct requires an Everything Data plan for activation. I was required to change from my Fair & Flexible to activate my Instinct on launch day last June. Did you personally get through the Everything Data requirement with the Instinct? If you did, you were lucky. And not everyone is as sneaky as you are.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    And, I just don't have a problem with spending real money for real capabilities that enhance my life.
    AMEN!
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Yes.

Otherwise Sprint would be guilty of some of the biggest bait and switching of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Yes.

Otherwise Sprint would be guilty of some of the biggest bait and switching of all time.
    They say in every contract ever written that they reserve the right to change the contract at any time, and that you have the right to reject those changes and terminate your contract at no penalty. It's not bait-and-switch, it's business. You want to drive a Corvette, you've got to use the expensive oil. And if you want a Pre, well, then maybe you'll have to switch to a more expensive plan. But then again, you also don't have to get a Pre.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Just BTW... There were other plans than the $30 one...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.