View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

    9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

    48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

    2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

    44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

    13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

    14 10.77%
Page 43 of 71 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546474853 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 860 of 1415
  1. #841  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrion88 View Post
    ...
    I've thought about this quite a bit myself weighing the potential gain vs. potential the losses. When SERO was around there was the $99 unlimited plan. Why a user would jump from the $30 - 500 minute SERO and also the $50 - 1,250 SERO plan (the one that many against SERO often forget) to an unlimited plan? So now you're breaking even based on your example. But let's look at it another way. Let's say you're required the GPS add-on, or let's talk about buying Apps, or the handset, or locking customers in for longer, or accessories, there are quite a few sources of revenue for Palm as well as Sprint. Both can mutually prosper from this.
    ...
    I'm looking closely at the available plans as well, and your point that this goes beyond SERO is well taken. My wife and I are on the Friends and Family plan (I think that's what it was called), and I think that's no longer available.

    What I didn't initially understand is that there are "Everything" plans that are not the "Simply Everything" plan. The SE plan is the one that is $99. However, there are other options.

    The SERO $30 plan that included 500 anytime minutes probably compares most closely with the Everything Data plan that includes 450 anytime minutes at $69. Yes, that's more, but it's still not outrageous. Plus, it includes the GPS tracking, which I think is about $10 more on the SERO plan.

    The SERO 1250 plan you mentioned at $50 compares more closely to the 900 Everything Data plan. Again, yes it's more expensive, but we sort of expected that.

    My wife and would probably prefer to stay on the Friends and Family plan we're on; however, we're preparing to switch to one of the multiple Everything Data plan. I think we're going to end up paying about $15 more a month (I still haven't completely figured out what we've had in the past), but we are definitely going to get more features.

    No, I don't want to pay more. Yes, I understand bidness is bidness. Yes, I will like the new features if we have to pay more. Yes, I'll get used to it.

    More importantly, no, I won't be complaining about how unfair it all is.

    At the same time, I'll be expecting that my boss at work is not going to keep harping on me over the fact that I keep getting a raise every year either.
  2. Rhody's Avatar
    Posts
    703 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #842  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrion88 View Post
    Ref, I respect your argument, you lay out some very strong points. Here's a few reasons I feel differently:

    1. We're not just talking about SERO plans.
    I don't see this as an issue. When I bought a HD receiver for my DirecTV, I understood that I would need to upgrade my plan to get HD content. So, yes, new technology requires new services; however, this is a fact of life and business, and not an "issue."

    2. Apple broke the rules.
    Who made the rules? RIM and Apple have established that carriers can require additional plans to support their new technology. If you ask me, that is the rule. I have no idea what rules you're talking about.

    3. Limiting the market
    I think Palm has an agreement with Sprint that has nothing to do with individual customer plans. Palm sells their phones through Sprint for a set price, and Sprint subsidizes the costs with customers if they meet certain requirements. It's really not that complicated.

    4. Saving themselves
    If I were CEO of Sprint, I would save myself by cutting loose those customers who show that they are unwilling to add on additional services. This is like when Amp'd Mobile went out of business because they kept a lot of customers with credit problems and unpaid bills. The smart thing to do is reward the customers who pay for services, and say goodbye to the 2% of customers who demand something for nothing.

    5. Pre will be open to some / all carriers in 6 months.
    The other carriers have more expensive plans even without SERO. Sprint is competitive, no worries there.

    6. This isn't the iPhone or a Blackberry
    I don't think you have any idea what plans most HTC users are on. Sprint is pushing the Everything plans and people are buying them. I bought one. Most people have no idea what SERO is. I think Sprint would like to keep every customer, but the percentage of users with SERO plans is so low, I don't think Palm is worried about the even smaller percentage of Palm users with SERO plans.
  3. #843  
    Thank you Rhody, my sentiments exactly. What I think a lot of this stems from is not a belief that Sprint can't do this but that it is unfair in some way or that Sprint shouldn't risk losing customers. As i said above, If they make back 1 customer for 2 the very few who feel obligated to leave over this, they lose nothing. If the Palm Pre is priced well and advertised well, people will take a serious look at Sprint and this device. The rate plans beat the competition and as they say if you build it they will come.

    Sprint needs to worry about keeping customers yes, but not at the expense of long-term financial viability. If you want the new phone then you may be forced to leave your old contract. What this ends up sounding like, at least with regards to the SERO users, is people who want to have their cake and eat it too. This is in no way unfair and it makes good business sense for Sprint. It reminds me of a person in a rent controlled basement studio apartment wanting to move to the three bedroom penthouse in the same building but keep paying the same rate.
  4. #844  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Let's get serious--

    The ONLY reason most of us stay with Sprint is the old SERO plan.

    By charging Simply Everything prices for the Pre, most of us won't change phones. What's worse for Sprint is that the Pre is only a Sprint exclusive for a short time. The second it goes over to a competing phone company, if there is a lower price there, everyone who still wants the Pre will jump ship at that point.

    Sprint tried the SE rule with the Instinct, which led to its failure as the "iPhone killer."

    Sprint shouldn't make that mistake again.
    Ok, let's get serious then,

    The device may end up cheaper elsewhere, not knowing the exclusivity agreement. But the plans and long term costs will still be higher if you want a plan that covers everything the device can do on any other domestic carrier. Does it mean you may end up paying more per month? Yes. Is it more expensive than other companies? No. You want to yell about getting ripped off or paying more and how it will make you leave sprint, I don't see it happening to a significant extent. It is a nonsensical result. "I am upset about having to pay more on Sprint, so i will show them and pay even more elsewhere." If the money savings matter that much and this phone matters that much, then it would seem the economics just work. You can complain about feeling betrayed and hard done and how Sprint should be bending over backwards to keep people who receive much but pay little, but this is how they move the company forward. Like it or not, that is reality; they shouldn't be competing with themselves for customers. And, btw, as i noted before, even if some SERO people leave, they don't need a 1 to 1 ratio of new customers to make up for the few on SERO who decide to go elsewhere. And if Pre is a draw, they could be pulling in more customers resulting in higher profits.

    The SE rule didn't kill the instinct. In fact the instinct sold quite well, sufficient to justify a second version. What "killed" the instinct was the hardware sucked. The Pre seems much closer to "iPhone-killer" territory as you put it. They will have strong hardware and cheaper plans, seems to fit.
  5. #845  
    Quote Originally Posted by cscoot03 View Post
    I've been informed that my plan w/the now STP will work when the Pre gets here.
    Could you elaborate please? I'm having trouble figuring out what "my plan w/the now STP" means.

    Thanks.
  6. #846  
    zelgo - No. Wrong. I've never been on SERO, and never will be. Even on the Everything Data plan (which I will switch to when I pick up my Pre), I'll be saving buckets of cash over any other carrier. Hell, AT&T's data plan for the iPhone costs just as much as your precious SERO.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  7. Rhody's Avatar
    Posts
    703 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #847  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Let's get serious--

    The ONLY reason most of us stay with Sprint is the old SERO plan.

    By charging Simply Everything prices for the Pre, most of us won't change phones. What's worse for Sprint is that the Pre is only a Sprint exclusive for a short time. The second it goes over to a competing phone company, if there is a lower price there, everyone who still wants the Pre will jump ship at that point.

    Sprint tried the SE rule with the Instinct, which led to its failure as the "iPhone killer."

    Sprint shouldn't make that mistake again.
    Just to be clear, are you saying the Instinct failed because of the overwhelming number of SERO customers who were unwilling to upgrade? Is that the mistake you're talking about?
  8. #848  
    sorry zelgo. don't think you get it. On sero you enjoy the lowest prices possible for cell phone service. On SE plans you enjoy lower prices than the other carriers for the same level of service. So your argument is weak at best.

    You want to get serious...the Pre will utilize more of Sprint's network than other phones, most likely more than you currently utilize with a Treo. So why shouldn't they expect a higher monthly? At current usage levels maybe they can justify the SERO plans. As phones become more data intensive they need to move away from those plans to ones that ARE STILL LOWER THAN THE COMPETITION.

    I can understand being upset if you can't keep SERO, but the levels of whining and complaining is just absurd.
  9. #849  
    Folks,

    Can we move the SERO complaining to the "plans that will/may/may not work" thread, or whatever it's called.

    I am so tired of this complaint.

    EDIT: I am pretty sure the thread I was reading was merged into this one. I would not consciously open and read this thread. Trust me.
    Last edited by Homie; 04/25/2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Update
  10. #850  
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    Folks,

    Can we move the SERO complaining to the "plans that will/may/may not work" thread, or whatever it's called.

    I am so tired of this complaint.
    Ummm, that would be this thread: "Possible Calling/Data Plans - Required/Not Required/Allowed/Not Allowed"
  11. #851  
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Ummm, that would be this thread: "Possible Calling/Data Plans - Required/Not Required/Allowed/Not Allowed"
    By George I think you've got it Prereferee!! Finally something that Sero lovers and haters can agree on!! You see we are getting somewhere. Don't know where it is but I resemble your remark.
  12. #852  
    I came here for an argument...oh I'm sorry this is abuse.
  13. #853  
    Back on topic Iphones are selling out of control. They are keeping Apple and AT&T in a great position during this recession. It can not hurt Sprint to get this product in as many palms as possible to spread the word and help get market share. If this phone is what they say it is one of the most effective ways of gaining market share is to have people who very loyal to Sprint promoting this phone. Basically, if they let me have the Pre they've got me for life. As a consumer I give more respect to someone who is my peer and has my best interest in mind over someone who is trying to sell me something IE: the Sprint rep who wanted to sell the Blackberry to the person who was asking about the Pre. Being a Sero-ite a typical conversation with an Iphoner would probably go like this:

    Me: Hey you
    Iphoner: You mean me
    Me: Yes you
    Iphoner: What
    Me: Check out what my phone can do. Can yours do that?
    Iphoner: NO
    Me: How much do you pay per month and what do you get?
    Iphoner: Well this costs this much, that costs that much and the other thing adds in another cost.
    Me: Did you know that you can save 30 to 50 percent on Sprint and be on the cutting edge too.
    Iphoner: Now I do.

    Sero haters please answer yes or no. Hypothetically, if you did have Sero and were given the opportunity to get the Pre would you happily promote the phone and the good deal that Ep plan is over the other carriers. Please remember- yes or no.
  14. #854  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm looking closely at the available plans as well, and your point that this goes beyond SERO is well taken. My wife and I are on the Friends and Family plan (I think that's what it was called), and I think that's no longer available.

    What I didn't initially understand is that there are "Everything" plans that are not the "Simply Everything" plan. The SE plan is the one that is $99. However, there are other options.

    The SERO $30 plan that included 500 anytime minutes probably compares most closely with the Everything Data plan that includes 450 anytime minutes at $69. Yes, that's more, but it's still not outrageous. Plus, it includes the GPS tracking, which I think is about $10 more on the SERO plan.

    The SERO 1250 plan you mentioned at $50 compares more closely to the 900 Everything Data plan. Again, yes it's more expensive, but we sort of expected that.

    My wife and would probably prefer to stay on the Friends and Family plan we're on; however, we're preparing to switch to one of the multiple Everything Data plan. I think we're going to end up paying about $15 more a month (I still haven't completely figured out what we've had in the past), but we are definitely going to get more features.

    No, I don't want to pay more. Yes, I understand bidness is bidness. Yes, I will like the new features if we have to pay more. Yes, I'll get used to it.

    More importantly, no, I won't be complaining about how unfair it all is.

    At the same time, I'll be expecting that my boss at work is not going to keep harping on me over the fact that I keep getting a raise every year either.
    I don't see this phone adding any features someone with an unlimited plan doesn't already have. Even visual voicemail (not an announced feature & I doubt it will launch with it). It'll be a disappointment, but it'll just be business. From my perspective, this is a poor decision for the company and when I see the financial modeling that shows this as beneficial to the company as highly skeptical.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I don't see this as an issue. When I bought a HD receiver for my DirecTV, I understood that I would need to upgrade my plan to get HD content. So, yes, new technology requires new services; however, this is a fact of life and business, and not an "issue."
    Rhody, I think this is what's causing the disconnect. There is no new feature that anyone is asking for. Unlimited data is unlimited data. SD to HD is an understandable cost increase, edge to 3g is the same. So what's the 'new technologies you're arguing here? Sprint bundling services users don't want like Sprint TV? Then don't provide it and charge a fee for those who want it. The service itself is not changing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Who made the rules? RIM and Apple have established that carriers can require additional plans to support their new technology. If you ask me, that is the rule. I have no idea what rules you're talking about.
    RIM provides a service (BES / BIS) for which they are charging their add'l fee. Apple is simply charging a luxury tax as the 3g service they provide is the same as that of any other 3g phone. Apple has a niche market that is willing to spend this add'l cash to pay this. They've spent years positioning themselves as a company that can have consumers justify paying this add'l expense. There is no new 'technology' here that justifies them charging a premium for their 3g service over the standard AT&T rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I think Palm has an agreement with Sprint that has nothing to do with individual customer plans. Palm sells their phones through Sprint for a set price, and Sprint subsidizes the costs with customers if they meet certain requirements. It's really not that complicated.
    I don't understand your point here. Yeah, that's how cell phone carriers and vendors work. If you read my earlier post, I state that although it's possible they could ask for an Apple 1st gen deal, it's not likely. Otherwise, I have no idea what your point is with this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    If I were CEO of Sprint, I would save myself by cutting loose those customers who show that they are unwilling to add on additional services.
    Well, that's certainly an interesting perspective. I'm certainly glad in that case you're not CEO. Aside from the customer relations I'd see with this, this is a terrible business practice to 'fire' your revenue generators. From a growth standpoint where all carriers are looking to gain users, I certainly wouldn't understand a company shedding them for not adding services.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    This is like when Amp'd Mobile went out of business because they kept a lot of customers with credit problems and unpaid bills. The smart thing to do is reward the customers who pay for services, and say goodbye to the 2% of customers who demand something for nothing.
    Amp'd Mobile was never profitable. They were desperate for customers and signed up corpses to raise their subscriber base. Taking care of your customers is always a good move. I think Sprint is making the right move with the Sprint Premiere status, it's a good way of rewarding Sprint vets as well as those with higher priced plans. I'm not familiar with the 2% who demand something for nothing, but I imagine customers at any price point that are constantly unhappy or tie up customer service would be a good idea to remove as they did a couple years ago. I'm cautious to agree with you on this as how you determine who these 2% would be a tricky thing. But again, I'll restate, difficult customers are spread across the spectrum of Sprint's price points.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    The other carriers have more expensive plans even without SERO. Sprint is competitive, no worries there.
    Again, I'm not just talking about SERO plans, it's the tip of the iceberg. Try and imagine just how many Sprint customers aren't on Everything Plans right now. 75-85%? So you're ruling out approximately 80% as possible upgraders? Those customers who already have the minutes they want and a data plan aren't going to be very pleased with Sprint when they're told their plans have to change although they'd be using the same features (data/text/minutes) simply because Sprint wants to upsell them on it. If they decide to ask for the plan change we'll see how that goes in a couple months. I see this as being a sore point with customer relations if it happens and certainly leading to an exodus of further customers. You may not take issue with this, but any analyst / investor raises a red flag when this happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I don't think you have any idea what plans most HTC users are on. Sprint is pushing the Everything plans and people are buying them. I bought one. Most people have no idea what SERO is. I think Sprint would like to keep every customer, but the percentage of users with SERO plans is so low, I don't think Palm is worried about the even smaller percentage of Palm users with SERO plans.
    HTC has sold the Touch, the Mogul, the Touch Diamond and the Touch Pro. I may be mistaken, but with the length of time that some of those models were on the market for, I'd be willing to bet that the majority (50.1%) of their users are not on the Everything Plans. I'm not certain on this, however I'm confident my approximation is closer to reality than yours.

    And I'll state it again. SERO is one of the many plans that would be affected. If you can get absorb this fact, it would help you wrap your head around what's being discussed here.

    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Thank you Rhody, my sentiments exactly. What I think a lot of this stems from is not a belief that Sprint can't do this but that it is unfair in some way or that Sprint shouldn't risk losing customers. As i said above, If they make back 1 customer for 2 the very few who feel obligated to leave over this, they lose nothing.
    From the above, you'd be hinging the success or failure of Sprint to gaining that 1 for every two lost. Mind you that once again we're not just talking about SERO users, and again, SERO users weren't all just at the $30 monthly rate. Based on this as well as the the +1/-2 wash or or possible gain in revenue you propose above I'd say you'd be very lucky to see that kind of retention. I've left cell phone carriers for not offering a phone upgrade for the same price as a new customer so I can only imagine what anyone with an older plan would do if they were told those wouldn't work with new 'hot' phones. I'd be interested to see how many customers were that upset over the Instinct which as discussed, wasn't even all that 'hot' of a phone. You'd see a lot of customer churn with such a decision and right now Sprint and its shareholders, do not want to see more customers losses. Hesse has promised to stop this. +1/-2 is not an approach that meshes with Hesse's statement.

    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    If the Palm Pre is priced well and advertised well, people will take a serious look at Sprint and this device. The rate plans beat the competition and as they say if you build it they will come.
    Maybe. You'd hope so. I think the Everything Plans are fine plans for new customers if you can convince them to join Sprint. It's a tough sell to get them to join. The priced well and advertised well are challenges (as shown by the Instinct's lackluster campaign), it's all going to depend on that device. That said, we're talking about existing plan holders and how they'll react to this. I predict it won't be favorable if it's required.

    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Sprint needs to worry about keeping customers yes, but not at the expense of long-term financial viability. If you want the new phone then you may be forced to leave your old contract. What this ends up sounding like, at least with regards to the SERO users, is people who want to have their cake and eat it too. This is in no way unfair and it makes good business sense for Sprint. It reminds me of a person in a rent controlled basement studio apartment wanting to move to the three bedroom penthouse in the same building but keep paying the same rate.
    To restate, and I'm hoping after this post, it will be clear, we're not talking about just SERO folks here. All previous plans, Free and Clear, Fair and Flexible, Family plans, etc.

    Sprint's long term viability is dependent on having a subscriber base to begin with. If you have no customers, you can't ask them to upgrade their plans. 4G is a perfect point for this, GPS add ons, etc.

    Here's my equivalent to your apartment metaphor. You're buying a new home in your neighborhood. You've already paid off the house, it was pricey but totally worth it, however now you're told your utilities are doubled for no other reason than you've bought a new home. Same usage but just doubled. No other reason except, 'hey, you wanted a new house, there's a new utility fee for buying this.'


    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Ok, let's get serious then,The device may end up cheaper elsewhere, not knowing the exclusivity agreement. But the plans and long term costs will still be higher if you want a plan that covers everything the device can do on any other domestic carrier. Does it mean you may end up paying more per month? Yes. Is it more expensive than other companies? No. You want to yell about getting ripped off or paying more and how it will make you leave sprint, I don't see it happening to a significant extent. It is a nonsensical result. "I am upset about having to pay more on Sprint, so i will show them and pay even more elsewhere." If the money savings matter that much and this phone matters that much, then it would seem the economics just work. You can complain about feeling betrayed and hard done and how Sprint should be bending over backwards to keep people who receive much but pay little, but this is how they move the company forward. Like it or not, that is reality; they shouldn't be competing with themselves for customers. And, btw, as i noted before, even if some SERO people leave, they don't need a 1 to 1 ratio of new customers to make up for the few on SERO who decide to go elsewhere. And if Pre is a draw, they could be pulling in more customers resulting in higher profits.

    The SE rule didn't kill the instinct. In fact the instinct sold quite well, sufficient to justify a second version. What "killed" the instinct was the hardware sucked. The Pre seems much closer to "iPhone-killer" territory as you put it. They will have strong hardware and cheaper plans, seems to fit.
    The reality is Sprint is hemorrhaging customers and should not be giving giving customers a reason to go. You can think otherwise, but every analyst talks about the customer loss and how Sprint must stop this to save themselves. There are break even costs that must be covered. Even if a customer is break even (mind you SERO does generate revenue for Sprint), they are needed for the company to continue with their day to day operations.

    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    sorry zelgo. don't think you get it. On sero you enjoy the lowest prices possible for cell phone service. On SE plans you enjoy lower prices than the other carriers for the same level of service. So your argument is weak at best.

    You want to get serious...the Pre will utilize more of Sprint's network than other phones, most likely more than you currently utilize with a Treo. So why shouldn't they expect a higher monthly? At current usage levels maybe they can justify the SERO plans. As phones become more data intensive they need to move away from those plans to ones that ARE STILL LOWER THAN THE COMPETITION.

    I can understand being upset if you can't keep SERO, but the levels of whining and complaining is just absurd.
    I'm just curious to know, what makes you so confident that the Pre will consume so much data? It's all been marketing talk / hype so far as no one has actually used one yet. From what they're proposing I don't see the data usage as significantly changing. I have corporate email on my phones and that is quite a bit of data flow that goes through there with some of the documents and large files being sent through. I don't see this consuming an abnormal amount of data. Again, not just talking about SERO.

    Quote Originally Posted by hambone44 View Post
    By George I think you've got it Prereferee!! Finally something that Sero lovers and haters can agree on!! You see we are getting somewhere. Don't know where it is but I resemble your remark.
    Ultimately I don't see much of a consensus coming from this. I understand those who'd argue Sprint must do everything in their power to stay in business. I fully agree with them on this, however, I think they should have realistic expectations, one of which is to not expect their existing customers to be complacent with the required plan changes. This will be an issue for many of us. I'm looking forward to the Pre and hope everyone can take part of it as well.
  15. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #855  
    Quote Originally Posted by hambone44 View Post
    Back on topic Iphones are selling out of control. They are keeping Apple and AT&T in a great position during this recession. It can not hurt Sprint to get this product in as many palms as possible to spread the word and help get market share. If this phone is what they say it is one of the most effective ways of gaining market share is to have people who very loyal to Sprint promoting this phone. Basically, if they let me have the Pre they've got me for life. As a consumer I give more respect to someone who is my peer and has my best interest in mind over someone who is trying to sell me something IE: the Sprint rep who wanted to sell the Blackberry to the person who was asking about the Pre. Being a Sero-ite a typical conversation with an Iphoner would probably go like this:

    Me: Hey you
    Iphoner: You mean me
    Me: Yes you
    Iphoner: What
    Me: Check out what my phone can do. Can yours do that?
    Iphoner: NO
    Me: How much do you pay per month and what do you get?
    Iphoner: Well this costs this much, that costs that much and the other thing adds in another cost.
    Me: Did you know that you can save 30 to 50 percent on Sprint and be on the cutting edge too.
    Iphoner: Now I do.

    Sero haters please answer yes or no. Hypothetically, if you did have Sero and were given the opportunity to get the Pre would you happily promote the phone and the good deal that Ep plan is over the other carriers. Please remember- yes or no.
    You're not loyal to Sprint, you are with them because you are happy with the service you receive for the price that you pay. If you were not happy, you would leave.

    What does it matter if you have a SERO plan or not as to whether you would promote the Everything Plan? People with SERO plans are low on the totem pole, why do you keep thinking you're special? If Sprint had to get rid of customers for some reason, SERO plan holders would be the first to go.

    By the way I have a SERO plan and am very happy to have it, but it is a two year contract and I will have no beef with Sprint if they don't let me renew it after the two years is up or if they require me to get an Everthing Plan with the Pre. It's business, think like a shareholder, not a customer, and it makes sense.
  16. Rhody's Avatar
    Posts
    703 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #856  
    Quote Originally Posted by hambone44 View Post
    Back on topic Iphones are selling out of control. They are keeping Apple and AT&T in a great position during this recession. It can not hurt Sprint to get this product in as many palms as possible to spread the word and help get market share. If this phone is what they say it is one of the most effective ways of gaining market share is to have people who very loyal to Sprint promoting this phone. Basically, if they let me have the Pre they've got me for life. As a consumer I give more respect to someone who is my peer and has my best interest in mind over someone who is trying to sell me something IE: the Sprint rep who wanted to sell the Blackberry to the person who was asking about the Pre. Being a Sero-ite a typical conversation with an Iphoner would probably go like this:

    Me: Hey you
    Iphoner: You mean me
    Me: Yes you
    Iphoner: What
    Me: Check out what my phone can do. Can yours do that?
    Iphoner: NO
    Me: How much do you pay per month and what do you get?
    Iphoner: Well this costs this much, that costs that much and the other thing adds in another cost.
    Me: Did you know that you can save 30 to 50 percent on Sprint and be on the cutting edge too.
    Iphoner: Now I do.

    Sero haters please answer yes or no. Hypothetically, if you did have Sero and were given the opportunity to get the Pre would you happily promote the phone and the good deal that Ep plan is over the other carriers. Please remember- yes or no.
    Ok, you made the offer. You are a "loyal Sprint customer" who wants to keep your SERO plan so you can promote the Pre.

    On the other hand, I am a "loyal Sprint customer." I already have a Simply Everything Plan, and I want a Pre. I am also willing to promote the Pre.

    Now, if you were Sprint, which customer would you be more loyal to?

    UPDATE: By the way, I'm not a SERO hater. I think it's great that Sprint made this offer and so many customers were able to take advantage of it. In fact, if Sprint lets you keep your plan, then great! Consider yourselves lucky, and I'm happy for you. But the attitude that SERO customers are the most important martyrs, advocates, loyalists, etc. is just silly. This whole "Sprint, you need me!" battle cry is tired and old and disingenuous. Now you have yourselves twisting in knots trying to convince the world that it's a GOOD IDEA to do everything imaginable keep the least profitable customers. It's madness!
    Last edited by Rhody; 04/23/2009 at 10:03 AM.
  17. #857  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    ...
    Now you have yourselves twisting in knots trying to convince the world that it's a GOOD IDEA to do everything imaginable keep the least profitable customers. It's madness!
    AYup
  18. #858  
    I think if you had my plan & STP's you wouldn't say that & I think if someone had an instinct seen in the street in NY it would get mugged. what do they call it- New York Attitude? I don't have your problems. I'm patiently waiting for my 2 Pre's. You?
  19. #859  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    There is no such thing as loyalty to Sprint. You go with whomever gives you the best product and price. I, for example, changed from Verizon with its far superior coverage to Sprint because Verizon's phones weren't attractive to me at the time. I stayed with Sprint because of its Sero plan.

    The real question is if the PRE will attract many new customers just because it's a PRE. We on TC are biased because we are already Palm users. We think it's going to be a big hit--yet I have not heard a single one of my friends talk about it.

    If Sprint mandates the SE plan, I doubt most current SERO customers would switch for it. I doubt iPhone folks will either (unless people get bored by the iPhone and want something new--which is why the new iPhone will emerge soon with video calls reportedly). Sprint will depend almost completely on new customers taking on the PRE with it's SE pricing.

    And, yes, the Instinct is a flop. It doesn't matter if a second iteration has come out--the Instinct did not live up to its projections at all--flop, flop, flop. Have you actually seen one on the street? I live in NYC with its 9 million people and still haven't seen anyone with an Instinct (except a friend who bought one and promptly returned it). Sure, the hardward was bad, but so was the mandatory pricing.
    And you continue to ignore that everything plans are still cheaper than the alternative comparable plans elsewhere. If SERO users don't want to buy a Pre and change plans they don't have to. Advertising is beginning now and we will see how demand reacts. But I don't think you can argue that the price of Sprint's plans will be a major detractor when you look at the same plans on other networks. If hardware drives demand, and the Pre lives up to expectations, then people will sign up.

    The complaints about the instinct were hardware not the price of service. The price of service may have kept you away, but the majority of complaints online were about cost of device and hardware not the cost of the sprint plans.

    As i have said before, nobody is taking away your precious SERO plan. But if you want the new phone and Sprint says you need a different plan you get to make the choice. This is Sprint's way of getting rid of these old plans without forcing you out of them. Don't like it? Don't get the new phone or leave sprint and pay even more elsewhere. It costs more to keep you at that rate than to get a new customer at the higher rate.

    Sprint is being more than fair with SERO users who are demanding special treatment while paying less. But you get to make a decision that may be against your financial interest (pay a bit more on Sprint per month or pay even more on Verizon, ATT, or T-mobile). Sprint is not mandating you get this phone or any new phone really. So it might be a few less phone sales for Sprint, but the plans are where they make their money anyway and I see Pre expanding market share and not simply re-upping existing customers.

    And as much as you complain about SERO customers potentially leaving in droves over this, I really do not see that happening, and even if it does, I see them being replaced easily if Pre lives up to the hype. If it doesn't then SERO plan holders staying aboard buying the phone won't be enough to save Sprint either. Though I can't seem to gather from the various posts from SERO users if there are way too many SERO users for Sprint to **** them off without consequence, or too few SERO users to significantly impact Sprint's bottom line.

    Ultimately, this is good business for Sprint long term. Like it or not, happy about it or not. I know there was a longer post earlier in this thread criticizing this characterization, we'll see who is right. If SERO is that important don't get the phone. If that is unacceptable then take it or leave it. You priced yourselves out. Sprint still has the cheapest plans in the market without SERO. You are paying below market for the services you are getting, of course Sprint is going to try and get rid of the plan. At least they are giving you the option not forcing it down your throats and changing contracts and canceling existing plans. Welcome to the real world and economics.
  20. #860  
    You know it makes me laugh to read so many intelligent words - yet all are opinions. What really makes me laugh is the instinct only costs $129.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions