View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 42 of 71 FirstFirst ... 32373839404142434445464752 ... LastLast
    I have zero animosity to Sero people. I got my mom on Sero, and I don't pay for my service so...

That being said, if one isn't able to stay on Sero and enjoy the Pre then you just have to suck it up. You had a good run and saved a lot of money compared to the other carriers. And fortunately you still can save money over other carriers, not just as much as before. If there is a way to be grandfathered in on the Pre, then great, but there's only so much complaining one can take. If you're that peeved, go spend more elsewhere and really show Sprint what you think. If enough people follow suit maybe they'll listen.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Exactly! This thread is completely useless. People with SERO (myself included) should never post about it, never. If you got a fantastic deal on a car once, doesn't mean you're not going to buy another car unless you get the same great deal the next time. People who don't have it, shouldn't give a darn and stay off threads about it (which there shouldn't be any anyway).
    Rick, I apologize for making you feel dissed by myself by getting off topic, but this thread is not useless. It is here to help consumers figure out what is alllowed and not allowed for getting the Pre. Any communication between members is to empower them to get the best deal possible. If there is any way that I can keep Sero and get the Pre this forum will help accomplish that. Honestly my main concern with the new Everything plans is the 40 cents a minute charge if you go over your minutes. I was recently in a car crash while traveling and dealing with lawyers, insurance companies mechanics etc, if I had the 450 EP it would have cost me an addition $120 as opposed to the $30 that I payed with the fair and flexble plan. 40 cents a minute is in no way fair or flexible, its gouging. My biggest concern is saving money, if I can not get the Pre so be it, but being a gadget fanatic I will do what can to figure out a way to get it. By the way I did get on to the Everything Plus website and it was allowing me to select PDA style phones so this leads me to keep hope alive. Once again I apologize for making you feel dissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    I wanna see SERO die just so I can see you people who rely on SERO Plans like you do oxygen, squirm. Honestly. It's like, You got subsidized plan pricing, AND you want to have the same access to everything that regular paying customers get AND even S|P customers get too. Um, sorry buddy.. Just like things in life, you need to pay the price to play the game.

Lets look at this like a TV, you think you can buy Samsungs $800 LCD HDTV, and get the same picture, feature, finish, as their $2000 LCD HDTV? Um, no.. But, judging from how you all act on here, you will CALL up Samsung, and pitch a fit to them about how you could only afford the $800 model, but are pissed, feel cheated, and entitled to have the same features as the guy who paid for the extra features, and is happy he did so.

Once again, You are on SERO, be glad you're on that. I'm a happy SEP paying customer and in return, I became a happy S|P Customer, and in return, I have no worries, and don't need to flood boards with <<edited by berd>> posts about how I won't get this phone if it's EP/SEP required, or how I'm going to leave Sprint and get the iPhone (which is funny because you'll just end up spending more on those plans anyways.. lol. You would save more money switching to a EP for the Pre, and even MORE money if you applied a corporate discount to your 450/900min plans).

Here is what I've been seeing. You have SERO, you pay less there. Nothing wrong with paying less, we all look for bargins, right? Right. BUT apparently, being on SERO Requires sacrafices such as special phones such as the Instinct AND Pre.

Sero = Limits
    EP/SEP = No Limits

If you want no limits, Pay the price for that.
    We run into each other again New Mex. And I thought you only went on these rants on the Sprint Users site. I can't imagine the users on this site haven't heard this talk before. Some folks (like myself) have plans from before the Everything Plans came out last year. I'd like to keep my old plan and like others, I'd like to know if my plan will work with the Pre. The only whining I consistently see is those who have an issue with this small percentage of users who are on the SERO plan. I'll say it again. Let them be. If you don't care about a phone working / not working on a plan, there's about 20 other threads you could be following / contributing to.

I have an email in to Sprint PRPRPR $as$ $to$ $whether$ $we$'$ll$ $get$ $further$ $clarification$ $on$ $grandfathered$ $plans$ $or$ $if$ $the$ $Everything$ $Plans$ $are$ $necessary$ $for$ $older$ $customers$ $too$. $I$'$ll$ $let$ $everyone$ $here$ $know$ $if$ / $when$ $I$ $hear$ $back$.
    Quote Originally Posted by hambone44 View Post
    Rick, I apologize for making you feel dissed by myself by getting off topic, but this thread is not useless. It is here to help consumers figure out what is alllowed and not allowed for getting the Pre. Any communication between members is to empower them to get the best deal possible. If there is any way that I can keep Sero and get the Pre this forum will help accomplish that.
    Okay, first, apology not necessary, but appreciated. I understand your point in this board helping you find a better way, that's how I got SERO, but I also believe that's how it's going to hurt me sooner rather than later. So my second point is that I guess not too many people are getting what I mean by saying people should never mention their SERO plans. It's probably too late now, I believe, but you have to think that the powers at both Palm and Sprint have people monitoring these boards. It would be terrible business if they didn't. I feel that when you stir the pot you're going to get burned. I would bet you that there are people that don't have SERO that are raising hell with Sprint on why they are letting some people have it and they can't. I'll also bet that some people have gotten mad enough to cancel their service thinking they're going to prove a point and then regret it when they're spending more with someone else. I know that from personal experience with a cable company and regret it to this day.

So what I'm saying is, where you feel the opposite (and that's fine), I feel that we would've had a better chance of getting the Pre with SERO if people on these boards hadn't stirred the pot for the past year or so. And believe me, I'm still hoping that we can get the Pre and keep it.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Disclaimer from me: I was never on SERO because I left Sprint a while ago. I would probably sign up for the EP anyway. I didn't mean to stir the pot. All I thought was that it would be good CS for Sprint to honor the plans, but I can also see why they may not want to with new phones since the new cool ones all seem to be geared toward using more services and bandwidth. The Pre seems to have a bandwidth-heavy reliance. Either way, someone will be pissed off. Either ones forced onto EP while SERO customers remain grandfathered or SERO customers forced onto EP and paying double, so there's no easy solution.

Although we still don't really know if EP will be required or if SERO will be disallowed. A lot of this is still speculation since Sprint never really said anything, YET. A lot of this started when the initial Pre printout said "Everything data plan required" or something like that, but who knows what they've decided recently. Since they won't talk to the public, we just don't know.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by hambone44 View Post
    Select Line to Upgrade
    The following errors were found while processing your request
    We're sorry, but the number you entered has been identified as part of the Everything Plus Referral Program (formerly Sprint Exclusive Referral Offer/SERO). Please visit Everything Plus(SM) Referral Program to complete your Everything Plus phone upgrade, or you may call an Everything Plus sales representative by phone at 1-888-882-4030 to place your order.
    () -
    Don't know the number?
    Select the number from a list of phones on your account
    Enter the account with the phone you'd like to upgrade
    Interesting, I don't get that at all. I do get this on the top of the list of phones when I go to upgrade

"The phone you have selected for upgrade is incompatible with your current plan(s). Please select a phone from the list shown below."

But that just might be cause my Treo is old, and no longer listed on the site. When you first signed up for SERO did you use a person's email address or the savings email ? I used a person's address.
    I think one of the big things everyone needs to remember about the SERO plans is regular customers are not just paying for the plan. Your phone plan and rate includes the cost of the phone, insofar as Sprint subsidizes the equipment. For example, the Instinct was $449 initially without contract. There were $250 of subsidies on the initial purchase ($150 instantly and then a mail in rebate for the other $100). That money comes from the plans, Sprint isn't going to be eating those losses.

Essentially, with new, higher-grade equipment, assuming these rumors of no SERO are true, Sprint is trying to stem losses on these equipment subsidies. While the differences in rates are definitely larger than the subsidies, you can bet that this is Sprint's thinking.

As has been said before, they are not taking SERO away from existing customers with their current equipment, or even with other equipment. But in the cases of their more highly-demanded/anticipated releases, they are trying to minimize losses. If you want SERO you will need to seriously think about its value to you versus your desire for the new phone. And I am willing to bet as well that if you wanted to buy the Pre at an unsubsidized price, there would be no issues adding it to an existing SERO plan. You want the upgrade price, then you need a new contract, and they can set whatever rules they want for that. It is your choice to get this phone or not, they are not changing terms for existing SERO customers.
    SERO users can not even get an instinct on their plans no matter how they received the phone. Ebay, gift, or buy for full price - Sprint's official "reason" (read: excuse) for not activating the Instinct on a SERO plan is that the Instinct requires, in their activation CS software, a customer to have Visual Voice Mail.

In other words, Sprint never said SERO users can't have intincts because they are not paying them enough a month. They claim since SERO doesn't have the visual voicemail feature on the plans, the Instinct can't physically get past the activation process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    SERO users can not even get an instinct on their plans no matter how they received the phone. Ebay, gift, or buy for full price - Sprint's official "reason" (read: excuse) for not activating the Instinct on a SERO plan is that the Instinct requires, in their activation CS software, a customer to have Visual Voice Mail.

In other words, Sprint never said SERO users can't have intincts because they are not paying them enough a month. They claim since SERO doesn't have the visual voicemail feature on the plans, the Instinct can't physically get past the activation process.
    Either way my point about existing SERO plans not being changed stands. And we have no confirmation about whether SERO will be exempted or not from Pre.

Further, in the case of the Instinct, if SERO doesn't include visual voicemail and that is the manner the phone handles voicemail, I think it might make some sense to require plans that include that feature. Unless you want SERO users complaining about not getting their voicemail. Voicemail seems slightly more integral to phone function than say sprintTV.

Again, the outrage over this seems to me misplaced. Nobody is forcing you to get a new phone and they are not changing existing SERO plans. If you want new hardware and its new features (as in the case of visual voicemail on the instinct apparently), then it seems reasonable for Sprint to require new contracts. If you are unwilling to pay for the new contract, then keep your old phone and stay with the existing contract. If this is enough to make you jump from Sprint, then enjoy paying comparably higher rates elsewhere.

This may be a non-issue and strikes me as a tempest in a teapot, but ultimately, you can't keep expecting to pay less and get more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    I think he's more saying that the SERO deal was the only reason to choose Sprint over another carrier, not that the SERO plan was the only one that these people could afford.
    BINGO...We went from a more expensive plan on VZW to Sprint because the Sprint coverage was similar but the price was a little cheaper for many more services.
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Either way my point about existing SERO plans not being changed stands. And we have no confirmation about whether SERO will be exempted or not from Pre.

Further, in the case of the Instinct, if SERO doesn't include visual voicemail and that is the manner the phone handles voicemail, I think it might make some sense to require plans that include that feature. Unless you want SERO users complaining about not getting their voicemail. Voicemail seems slightly more integral to phone function than say sprintTV.

Again, the outrage over this seems to me misplaced. Nobody is forcing you to get a new phone and they are not changing existing SERO plans. If you want new hardware and its new features (as in the case of visual voicemail on the instinct apparently), then it seems reasonable for Sprint to require new contracts. If you are unwilling to pay for the new contract, then keep your old phone and stay with the existing contract. If this is enough to make you jump from Sprint, then enjoy paying comparably higher rates elsewhere.

This may be a non-issue and strikes me as a tempest in a teapot, but ultimately, you can't keep expecting to pay less and get more.
    Yes, they can restrict phones because of a feature their plan doesn't have. It happens.

But to make those features impossible to be "add-ons" and you have to double or tripple your plan to just to acquire that "feature", is a nonsensical way of saying "we really just want you to pay more for our plans" -- and most of us SERO users would prefer that be what is said rather than the visual voicemail excuse.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Yes, they can restrict phones because of a feature their plan doesn't have. It happens.

But to make those features impossible to be "add-ons" and you have to double or tripple your plan to just to acquire that "feature", is a nonsensical way of saying "we really just want you to pay more for our plans" -- and most of us SERO users would prefer that be what is said rather than the visual voicemail excuse.
    Actually, it is a very sensical way of saying, "you got a deal, and we'll honor the deal, but we have to draw the line somewhere."

Ref, I respect your argument, you lay out some very strong points. Here's a few reasons I feel differently:

1. We're not just talking about SERO plans.
    If Sprint chooses to ask current users to upgrade their plans to Everything to get this and other phones, this is an issue. Some of us haven't even been in contract for 2 years yet. I'm happy with my plan, I have no desire to change it. I and many others feel the same way. The visual voicemail uses data to get messages, the line about this being a significant enough addition to require changing your plan isn't credible. I'd be interested to see if HTC tries a plan change like this with their Diamond2 that's just out, but I doubt it.

2. Apple broke the rules.
    The iPhone really changed the game in the cell phone industry. Besides its technological advances, one of its unfortunate results were the idea that phone companies could create special plans / requirements for select phones. It really is a great idea from their perspective. From the standpoint of consumers, I seriously take issue with this being done on the iPhone, the Instinct and with the Pre. If you have the ingredients (ie. data, texting (is texting really something that shouldn't be covered under data?, and voice minutes) in your plan, you should be able to use the phone. Sprint TV, music, Navigation aren't really options I'm interested in. So why ask a consumer to pay for these? Keep in mind, there's enough profit in there that they don't charge anything extra for Blackberry Enterprise when this add on normally costs an add'l $30.

3. Limiting the market
    If Sprint is planning to require Everything Plans for older users, then Palm will likely be asking for a) a higher than normal price for their handset, b) pushing Sprint to allow all users buy this phone with their current plans or c) get a cut of the profits as Apple did on the 1st iPhone -- (I don't see option C happening). The smartest thing Palm can do is push for option B as Sprint will be hard pressed to subsidize their pricing near Apple's.

4. Saving themselves
    Sprint has to do everything possible to retain customers, even the lower priced plan ones. Not only are you locking customers in for another 2 years with getting them on the Pre, they even run the possibility of having these customers buy more feature sets. Remember that if I have 1,000 minutes on my own plan at $50 with data, I'd need to pay $90 for the same on the Everything Plan.

5. Pre will be open to some / all carriers in 6 months.
    In 6 months I'd expect at least two of the other three carriers to have the Pre. I really don't see the other carriers asking for these plan changes for the Pre. Remember that it's not only adding a data plan, we're talking about wiping out your old minutes plan and asking you to start over at 450, 1250 or unlimited. That's just not going to happen.

6. This isn't the iPhone or a Blackberry
    Palm needs to think about rebuilding their fan base. Some users feel they were sold inferior products (issues w/ hardware / software in recent years, some don't believe Palm can mount a comeback, and some have just moved on to other products. To ask for this plan, you're asking for a bit too much of those users. This isn't a Business device yet (until they can get the proper security approvals for corporate email), it isn't the eye candy the iPhone is. If I had to guess, they'd be looking to take market share from HTC customers on Sprint. Most of those plan holders aren't on Everything Plans and I don't see them changing their minds on it.

I can think of a laundry list of other reasons as to why it would be a mistake to ask for an Everything Plan with these phones. Doesn't matter if you're Sero, Fair and Flexible, Free and Clear, etc. I don't see it making sense business-wise (potential gains for possible losses) nor from a customer relations POV. There are many of us older plan holders that will not be happy when our phones die and we're told we have to change plans to get a new phone.

I'm a big Sprint fan, I'm a big Palm fan and I'm hoping they make this available to as many users as they possibly can for the sake of both companies as well as their users and shareholders.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    SERO was out there as a perk to their employees, not their customers. Employees were allowed to give up to ten referals (I believe that was the number) to their friends who weren't with Sprint already so the friends could get this discount and thus get more users and increase revenue it didn't have. This is no different than what the airlines do for their employees by allowing them so many tripple E tickets that let those friends fly for taxes only on a standby basis. If you ever read a tripple E ticket, it says that you are not to discuss what you are paying or how you are traveling with anyone. I'm sure SERO is suppossed to be the same way, but those that got SERO couldn't help but brag, thus probably ruining the great thing that it is. I think SERO users are their own worst enemy by bragging, and not doing Sprint any good either, because, bragging about it, creates annimosity from those who don't have it. So thus, a great gift to their employees came back to bite Sprint in the a**.
    Rick, I believe I read in another post you have SERO. Did you sign up using an email address to a Sprint employee?
    I will start with the caveat that we don't know that they will be requiring the everything plans yet.
    I will say it makes some sense to require EPs as the implications of the app market is still unknown. Again, Sprint gets to set the rules on the plans, you get to decide if their decision makes sense for you. Sprint will retain and gain customers if the device is priced well and their plans are competitive with comparable plans on other networks. Sprint is already way ahead there. If people already on their network want one, they are competing with themselves. It may look bad to you but this is actually a good move from the business side of things. If they make back 1 user on the SEP for ever 2 SERO plan customers they loose for example, they could well end up even. And I doubt they will lose as many, most would probably jump for the Pre because even the everything plans are more cost effective than similar plans on other networks.
    As i noted above, nobody is forcing anybody to buy this phone. If the plans required aren't your cup of tea I am sure there are many other people who would jump at this (provided the phone is advertised and priced well). You can stick with your current phone and plan, you can upgrade to Pre and get the new plan, or jump ship to another carrier and pay even more in the long run.
    Also, we don't know if this will be on other domestic carriers anytime soon. Everything we have heard about exclusivity is mired in rumor and NDAs. For all we know it could be a multi-year US exclusive on the Pre (with other carriers having options for future webOS phones). We don't know and have to assume the decision made by Sprint would be fully cognizant of that information.
    Darrion88, out of all the SERO-Pre posts I have read on every forum I read, your's was the best in explaining why SERO subs should be able to keep their plans and get Pres.
    Thanks.
    I will start with the caveat that we don't know that they will be requiring the everything plans yet.
    Ref, I think we all know that at this point. The thread is titled as such. I'd fully believe the Everything Plans would be required if it weren't for the '$0.03 kb/ per second', 'requires a GPS add on', 'requires a data plan' as well as some of the odd wording during the webcast, most of us are wondering what will happen with these older plans.

I will say it makes some sense to require EPs as the implications of the app market is still unknown.
    I would actually think the App Store market would make more of an argument for getting more Pre's out on the market and allowing the older plans to be used. More Pre's, more Apps being sold.

Again, Sprint gets to set the rules on the plans, you get to decide if their decision makes sense for you.
    Again, I don't think there's any debate here. We all know this. It's the logic of how this decision will be made that's the topic of conversation. All the talk of the Instinct iPhone as an 'iPhone killer' seems pretty silly now in retrospect. A large part of that was the required plan change. As my earlier argument states, in order for this phone to be the winner they need, they need to sell units to as many users as possible.

Sprint will retain and gain customers if the device is priced well and their plans are competitive with comparable plans on other networks. Sprint is already way ahead there.
    That was the same thinking behind the Instinct. This isn't the iPhone. I'd expect sales figures around that of the G1 with a plan change (the G1 just asked for a special data plan to be added, not changing your minute pool). To have significant sales figures, allowing old plans are key.

If people already on their network want one, they are competing with themselves. It may look bad to you but this is actually a good move from the business side of things.
    If you could convince those users without them leaving sure, moving them up would be great. I can't think of a company that wouldn't want to make more money for the same service however, cell phone carriers don't do this for a reason. People don't like it and they leave.

If they make back 1 user on the SEP for ever 2 SERO plan customers they loose for example, they could well end up even. And I doubt they will lose as many, most would probably jump for the Pre because even the everything plans are more cost effective than similar plans on other networks.
    I've thought about this quite a bit myself weighing the potential gain vs. potential the losses. When SERO was around there was the $99 unlimited plan. Why a user would jump from the $30 - 500 minute SERO and also the $50 - 1,250 SERO plan (the one that many against SERO often forget) to an unlimited plan? So now you're breaking even based on your example. But let's look at it another way. Let's say you're required the GPS add-on, or let's talk about buying Apps, or the handset, or locking customers in for longer, or accessories, there are quite a few sources of revenue for Palm as well as Sprint. Both can mutually prosper from this.

As i noted above, nobody is forcing anybody to buy this phone. If the plans required aren't your cup of tea I am sure there are many other people who would jump at this (provided the phone is advertised and priced well). You can stick with your current phone and plan, you can upgrade to Pre and get the new plan, or jump ship to another carrier and pay even more in the long run.
    You state my point of view perfectly right there with what you've said: 'provided the phone is advertised and priced well'. To me, that means keeping your older plans. Again, I'm not talking about just SERO, there are a number of older plans Sprint provided not even a year ago that couldn't be used with the Pre. It's a hard sell getting 'dumb phone' users to pay the add'l costs for 'smart phones'. It'll be much harder to sell them a smart phone that comes with a more expensive plan just 'because'.

Also, we don't know if this will be on other domestic carriers anytime soon. Everything we have heard about exclusivity is mired in rumor and NDAs. For all we know it could be a multi-year US exclusive on the Pre (with other carriers having options for future webOS phones). We don't know and have to assume the decision made by Sprint would be fully cognizant of that information.
    You're right, we don't know. The rumor when it released was 6 months (link below):

Palm Pre: The Top 15 Questions, Answered - News and Analysis by PC Magazine

Here's what we do know: In the past Palm has not stayed exclusive with their models by their own will. In order for Palm to hit the sales figures they need to get this to be available to as many users as possible as sales projections are extremely ambitious for this device. A Lynch analyst is projecting 2.5 mil in 2H09. That's a lot of units. I'm sure Sprint was fully aware what figures they needed to hit to have a hit with the Instinct. They spent 100+ million on selling it and it was a flop. Sometimes the big companies get it wrong, and Sprint has been getting it wrong for awhile, I'd say they rival some of the auto companies with just how bad they've made some recent calls.

Ref, you raise some good points and I really feel that it can go either way on this decision right now. I do see a potential with it working out for them, however I also see a much greater risk in doing so. I hope the decision makers on this remain objective. The Pre certainly holds more promise than the Pre, but for all the reasons I posted above (added a link below for further info below) I see them making a significant mistake in launching a new device w/ new software with plan requirements.

I delve into this further on a post to another forum here: There is hope I feel for keeping our plans - Page 6 - SprintUsers.com

Losing customers at any price tier just isn't an option right now. Let's hope we get some answers soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Darrion88, out of all the SERO-Pre posts I have read on every forum I read, your's was the best in explaining why SERO subs should be able to keep their plans and get Pres.
    Thanks.
    My pleasure. I really hope it works out so that everyone can enjoy the Pre. It holds a great deal of promise and as someone that is both a tech fan as well as a believer in the rights of consumers, I really hope to see this be beneficial to Palm, Sprint, shareholders and the end users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrion88 View Post
    Rick, I believe I read in another post you have SERO. Did you sign up using an email address to a Sprint employee?
    No, I went through emails with customer service as some others on this board have. I was extremely lucky but even if I didn't get the SERO plan Sprint still would've saved my wife and myself over $30 per month from what we were paying Verizon.
    Last edited by RickMG; 04/22/2009 at 11:28 AM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I'm grandfathered in w/my plan & I've been informed that my plan w/the now STP will work when the Pre gets here.