View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast
    At this time you can replace your phone and keep SERO, even get the discounts by extending your contract if you're do. The only time you'd have a problem is on a phone that requires a certain plan such as the Instinct did with the Simply Everything plan. That's the big debate going on in another thread here that asks if Sprint is going to require the Simply Everything plan on the Pre. If they do, then you can decide what you want more, cheap plan or the Pre. I wonder if they won't do with this phone what AT&T is doing with the iphone, charge a premium over your data plan to have the Pre. I hope not, but I think everyone needs to just wait until Sprint announces what they're going to charge instead of everyone guessing.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    When the 700p came out the rumor on these boards was that if you did not upgrade to powervision you would not EVDO speeds. Turned out to be BS just line the SE rumor for the Pre will.
    really? i reluctantly upgraded to powervision when i switched from a treo650 to a 755p. don't tell me i've been paying more for nothing! i still have a pretty good deal on my family plan, so although i've been a little kooky about wanting the pre at any cost, i may hesitate if i have to pay an additional $20/mo for service.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    All I need is unlimited data and text.
    For voice, 500 is more than enough.
    I don't need Sprint's GPS, TV, radio or music.
    The SERO 500 I have is $30, the Everything Data plan, which is basically what I have now but with 50 less voice minutes is $70.
    I feel sorry for Sprint's CS reps if they make the Pre a mandatory SE or ED plan.
    I left VZW after more than 10 years for SERO, plus I converted 4 other former VZWers to Sprint.
    I brought them in $150 in monthly revenue they never would have had if they didn't have SERO.
    That should count for something if I need to speak to retentions.
    Every time a new phone comes out these rumors start about Sprint forcing you to upgrade your plan. All you do is buy the phone then call the business support to swap the ESN and you never even talk about your plan. Its really simple as long as you avoid the regular customer service reps.
    Not really. Sprint never attempted this until the Instinct, Sprint didn't hint they would do it with other smartphones as they hinted with the instinct and Pre. It was only a worry of some based on the Instinct requirement. We are not talking rumors but actual distinctions and singling by the head of Sprint himself and well as quotes in serious news outlets.

Here:
    Sprint and maker lauch new device together at high level public event three to four months before delivery (unique already) to stores with Sprint president himself intrudicing the the smartphone -- and right here talking about revenue:
    Sprint Samsung Instinct: yes
    Sprint Palm Pre: yes
    Sprint Palm 800w: no
    Sprint HTC Pro: no

Sprint President mentions Simply Everything within seconds at that event:
    Instinct: yes
    PRe: yes
    800w: no
    HTC pro: no

Serious trade publications (not rumor blogs) tie the Simply everything and the handset based on direct interviews with Sprint which they conducted (not fourth hand)
    Pre: yes
    Touch Pro: no

Sprint directly ties the handset to iPhone:
    Pre: yes
    touch pro: no

I have the same plan that I have had for 6 years and sprint has never made me change it even though I always get the latest phone. 4 lines, 1500 anytime minutes, unlimited data, unlimited text, free roaming, free long distance all for $99. Heck, I donít even have power vision. I have the old PCS vision on all 3 lines.
    Me too. That is my point you never needed one for the 800w -- but you have no Sprint iphone killer (Insticnt and Pre). people got them on plans like ours through mistakes, loopholes, but the polcy was Simply everything only -- a bump for you of $100 per month!

When the 700p came out the rumor on these boards was that if you did not upgrade to powervision you would not EVDO speeds. Turned out to be BS just line the SE rumor for the Pre will.
    Nope. Y The rumor, well founded as it turned out, at the time of 700p release. I got two 700p the first day. I had been on free unlimited wireless web which included unlimited text, converted to free unlimited 1x + unlimited text) . I got a bill with $200 in data charges after three weeks with the 700p as did almost everyone in that situation. We were all credited and changed to power vision EVDO. From May to June to July Sprint had to make many changes in the Powerrvision codes for those of us converted to EVDO for free because the codes added were removed. Everyone I know in this situation was converted to a new type of data plan option, specifically created for us legacy customers called "casual EVDO". I have "casual evdo" on five lines. Three are credited fully with unlimited text, the fourth costs $5 net and the fifth costs $10.

I guaranty I will be able to get the Pre and keep my plan the same. Plus I will get $150 off for loyalty premier customer.
    You and me and a few hundred others through loopholes and retentions. If it is mandated, 99% will not -as with the instinct
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    If sprint forces me to upgrade my sero plans, I will simply buy the phones off ebay and/or pay retail at palm.com.
    Sprint is losing existing customers left and right, I doubt the last thing they want to do is to drive away more existing customers.
    "Firing the customer" is a major term and strategy in the service business for the 10% of customers who generate less profit.

If you are long term customer with low chance of future churn they should not get rid of you even on a sero, but I am talking about their general plans, not what will happen if you call retentions three times and use charm.

Quote Originally Posted by though View Post
    ya, you may be able to buy the phone off ebay or palm, but will they let you activate it and get it going????
    People who went that route with the instinct mostly had problems, some got away with it.

Again I don't know what will happen, either whether that will be the policy or how strong they will stick to it if it is-- but the situation and direct top level Sprint signaling is unique to the instinct and the Pre and shared by no other Sprint Smartphones.
    Someone on SprintUsers.com said they talked to a Sprint CS rep who said the Pre will not require a SE plan.
    I still think it's too early to know.
    First, let's get a price, then a release date. Plans will come after that I bet.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Yes, I saw the other thread but this one, addresses it specifically and its a big issue for a lot of users. many, like me, will resign from early adopter status if sacrificing the SERO plan is the entry fee. I would rather tolerate my 755p with the cheap plan.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    I'm not on SERO, but I'm on a pretty awesome family plan that has lots of retention discounts, and I don't know what I'd get. Maybe a Touch Pro? Except the UI isn't so hot, from the 2 minutes I played with one in a Sprint store, my frickin' Centro's UI is better.

I've got over a year before it's time to upgrade, though, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    First, let's get a price, then a release date. Plans will come after that I bet.
    I'd bet the prices won't!!! How much you want to bet?

lol

Anyway, yes, everything will come in time....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    If Sprint requires a plan chg. I d def.will not purchase the
    pre.even though I'm out of contract (4lines) & have waited for the new palm device.I'll either get the HTC touch pro or switch carriers to get the new bb or g1.I simply will not get caught up in Sprints forced plan manipulation over any ph./pda.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    If I can't get the pre with my $30 a month pretax SERO plan I'll either get a HTC touch pro or just wait for the next HTC to come out (HD US version maybe?). I'm down to pay 500 on ebay for the Pre...and I think that will be the keep your SERO plan solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I wonder if they won't do with this phone what AT&T is doing with the iphone, charge a premium over your data plan to have the Pre. I hope not, but I think everyone needs to just wait until Sprint announces what they're going to charge instead of everyone guessing.
    Actually, AT&T doesn't charge a premium for their iPhone data plan. They only require that you have one (and they only offer one type for the 3G) if you purchase and activate in the store. They do offer a different data plan for the older 1st generation iPhones that is cheaper, but then it doesn't have the 3G speeds. I had one of the 3G iPhones for about 5 months. It was a great phone, but what I found really lacking was having to pay extra for text messages. With my FAN discount, I paid just over $55/month for it. I have SERO plan with Sprint and as long as I can keep that, I'll live with whatever technical limitations they place on me. I have the 755p now and it does all that I need to.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Same here, I would love to have the Pre, but would never get it if I have to give up my SERO. It is just not worth losing the plan I have with the added perks I have. I am up for renewal in May and even if it comes before, I have no problem paying full price for it as long as I keep my SERO account. If they wont allow the Pre with SERO, then the 755p stays my phone.
    Maybe we should just poll how many users are on SERO and refuse to trade it for a Pre. I'm still on the crappy 700p but since I got it at CostCo before they started the 3 month return policy, I can return it for $600 whenever I feel the need to upgrade phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxblitzrx View Post
    Maybe we should just poll how many users are on SERO and refuse to trade it for a Pre. I'm still on the crappy 700p but since I got it at CostCo before they started the 3 month return policy, I can return it for $600 whenever I feel the need to upgrade phones.
    A poll is NOT a good idea. I don't think we should bring that much attention to SERO to Sprint and give them any ideas. I like SERO too much. I would not trade SERO for a Pre, or anything else that required changing plans, I don't use my phone enough. Up until they introduced the Pre I was really wanting the Pro and I imagine I would get that if they play around too much with the plans for the Pre.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    A poll is NOT a good idea. I don't think we should bring that much attention to SERO to Sprint and give them any ideas. I like SERO too much. I would not trade SERO for a Pre, or anything else that required changing plans, I don't use my phone enough. Up until they introduced the Pre I was really wanting the Pro and I imagine I would get that if they play around too much with the plans for the Pre.
    I was really considering the PRO too. Did you do any homework on the plans for that phone? I think I'll definitely do the same if I can't do SERO + Pre
    I can tell you one thing... If they do impose an "everything plan only" policy on the Pre, don't try to buy one on eBay and think that you can do the self-service ESN swap online and sneak in under the radar. I tried it with an Instinct, didn't work! They will catch it and prompt you to choose an Everything plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    You said the magic word: Retentions

Sprint is hemoraging customers. They're not likely to do anything that would drive an existing customer away. They may try to force new customers into an SE plan (of which there are several flavors), but I doubt seriously they're going to force existing customers to change plans to buy this phone.
    They did it to me with the Instinct, and I've been with Sprint since 1998. I had to return the phone just before the 30 trial period to prevent the SE plan from becoming permanent. Talking to Retentions didn't help. They let me return the phone and revert back to my Family Share plan, but they refused to roll back the contract activation date to the FS plan I had prior to SE -- extending my contract for another 8 months.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    these stories of Sprint being stubborn give me nightmares. I love the new Pre but my 755p works fine if a little sluggish and glitchy. I mean what do we really get in the new phone- GPS, WiFi (neither that I would use) and video capability. Not enuf to give up on SERO.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    I think that I heard somebody say during one of the video'd hands-on demo's the proposed plan was "similar to the Instict". (Whatever that means)
Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast