View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 39 of 71 FirstFirst ... 29343536373839404142434449 ... LastLast
    In regards to the statement about sero users are still activating pda phones on sero. The other day I went to the sprint site and it allowed me to look at phones when I clicked on upgrade and today it took me to this:
    We're sorry, but the number you entered has been identified as part of the Everything Plus Referral Program (formerly Sprint Exclusive Referral Offer/SERO). Please visit Everything Plus(SM) Referral Program to complete your Everything Plus phone upgrade, or you may call an Everything Plus sales representative by phone at 1-888-882-4030 to place your order.
    This makes me a little worried.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Jesus, give it a rest with the pining for SERO plans, please! Yes they were incredibly awesome deals, but they clearly aren't sustainable for Sprint in the long run. Sprint isn't forcing anyone off the plans, but they are justified in putting conditions around upgrades that will require SERO customers to switch to newer plans. If you don't like it, switch to another carrier - the train has clearly left the station on this issue.

I'm going to be joining Sprint for the Pre, jumping ship after 8 years with T-mobile, home of the cheap (compared to most carriers) unlimited (yet nearly 3G-less) data plans and I'm totally thrilled with the price and feature set of Sprint's Simply Everything plans (especially the Sprint Referral "Everything Plus" plans). Have you seen what AT&T and Verizon are charging people for unlimited data and messaging let alone extra features like GPS Nav and TV?
    Quote Originally Posted by hambone44 View Post
    In regards to the statement about sero users are still activating pda phones on sero. The other day I went to the sprint site and it allowed me to look at phones when I clicked on upgrade and today it took me to this:
    We're sorry, but the number you entered has been identified as part of the Everything Plus Referral Program (formerly Sprint Exclusive Referral Offer/SERO). Please visit Everything Plus(SM) Referral Program to complete your Everything Plus phone upgrade, or you may call an Everything Plus sales representative by phone at 1-888-882-4030 to place your order.
    This makes me a little worried.
    That's because you were trying to upgrade a SERO plan without going through the SERO portal. If you click that link and enter the employee email and THEN select a phone to upgrade, it should go through fine (except with the Instinct). As far as I know the Everything Plus Referral Program took over SERO with the newer, higher rates, but still handles the grandfathered original SERO's.
    Now Tony, if we are such a small percentage, we can't be the reason why the company is "loosing" so much money. I think it would make sense for Sprint to want to keep these customers, give them the Pre and consider them advocates in the wild. How much money does Sprint spend on advertising a year? It has got to be many times the amount that Sero customers as group pay for their plans. So here you would have an advertising program that pays back to the company. I have found that the type of person who has found Sero has done so by scouring the internet and finding deals and posting them on consumer websites. Finding good deals and great gadgets and sharing them with masses is good thing and I do think the everything plan are still a good deal in the big picture, I just can not afford to double my cell monthly payment, thus my desire to keep Sero. I do know that if this phone is what Palm says it is, if given the opportunity to keep Sero and get the Pre I would be a tireless advocate in trying to get blackberry, Iphone, Htc users to switch to Sprint because they would save money and get a better phone. Personally it is just my nature to want to spread the word on good deals on product that can enrich people's lives. I know Sero haters are going tear this apart but I truly feel that we Sero-ites would want to spread the word on the Pre.
    The deals of old were too good to be true, and you can't get something for nothing... theres no such thing as a free lunch................SERO is dead....unless you wanna keep your old phone and plan of the dark ages....noone owes any of you SERO planholders anything, and Sprint isn't gonna live or die by SERO !
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rexx View Post
    The deals of old were too good to be true, and you can't get something for nothing... theres no such thing as a free lunch................SERO is dead....unless you wanna keep your old phone and plan of the dark ages....noone owes any of you SERO planholders anything, and Sprint isn't gonna live or die by SERO !
    If the plans were too good to be true, then why was it true? If Sprint was losing so much money on them, why did they offer them for so long?

Do I think they are ridiculously cheap? Yes of course, but I didn't hesitate to jump on it when I had the chance. The point is, I've been on SERO for almost two years and have become accustomed to paying that price for my plans. You can't tell me it costs that much more for Sprint to maintain its services now than it did two years ago.

I can understand if certain services incrementally go up in price, but I cannot justify paying double what I'm paying now for the exact same service. If Sprint didn't want people on these plans they shouldn't have offered them in the first place.

How would you feel if you were forced to pay twice as much for cable for simply getting a new TV?
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I still think there is hope. Sprint is making money off of me even if a pay $30 a month. They may only make $15 instead of $45 but that is better than me using Verizon.

If it doesn't though, how much do you guys think a SERO plan is worth? I would probably try and sell it to one of my friends who doesn't need a top of the line phone and would love to pay $30/month.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I've said this multiple times, but are people with SERO plans going to:

A) stay with Sprint and keep their current phone and thier SERO plan

B) stay with Sprint, get the Pre and pay $70/month (maybe $60 if the new Everthng Plus plans work)

C) go to Verizon or AT&T and pay $80 (Verizon) or $100 (AT&T)/month for the same services (450 min, unlimited text, unlimited data, turn by turn navigation)

I don't see people leaving Sprint to pay more for a phone they may like less. Although after looking up Verizon's prices I am surprised at how competitive they are. Their phones selection is terrible though.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    If Sprint was losing so much money on them, why did they offer them for so long?
    How about the reverse argument, if you SERO folks think the SERO plans must be such good deals for Sprint, why haven't you seen a single carrier compete with this offer? If you think these plans are so useful in aquiring and holding customers, why hasn't a single carrier created an equivalent plan to steal away other customers?

Enough with the fanciful justifications for why Sprint MUST make these plans available for people who want the Pre... either enjoy your budget plans and live with the restrictions or make your other choices (see dave75's post above).
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Galtish View Post
    How about the reverse argument, if you SERO folks think the SERO plans must be such good deals for Sprint, why haven't you seen a single carrier compete with this offer? If you think these plans are so useful in aquiring and holding customers, why hasn't a single carrier created an equivalent plan to steal away other customers?

Enough with the fanciful justifications for why Sprint MUST make these plans available for people who want the Pre... either enjoy your budget plans and live with the restrictions or make your other choices (see dave75's post above).
    I never said they were a good deal for Sprint. Personally I could care less. The fact is that they offered an incredibly low priced plan that was going to save me a lot of money, so I jumped on it. I don't think there are many people who would turn this down if given the chance.

The fact that I want to use a different device to use roughly the same amount of service from Sprint in no way affects their operating costs. The notion that they would force me into a higher priced plan is just a gimmick to get me to pay them more each month. While I understand the idea of a company looking out for their bottom line, much as I was looking out for mine when I got SERO, I would appreciate more openness when I initially switched carriers for a SERO plan. It's like a satellite TV company offering great introductory rates to get someone to switch. One of the primary reasons for switching is the low price, fully knowing that you'll be paying more at the end of the introductory period. If Sprint is going to force customers into higher priced (higher=double) plans, it's like having an introductory rate without knowing ahead of time that you'll need to pay full price at the end of the term.

It doesn't take an economist to realize that Sprint would generate more revenue from an "Everything" plan. If they are regretting SERO and are trying to kill off its users, they should have had the foresight to never come out with it in the first place.

To answer what I would do if I were forced to switch plans, I would most likely stay with SERO and keep using any phone that I could. I would love to own a Pre but can no way justify the overall cost of the phone/plan over what I'm getting now. And yes I will be very happy continuing to save almost $1000/year on my cell plans.
    Long live SERO....

Honestly, we will be able to get the Pre on SERO... no issues.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    If Sprint is going to force customers into higher priced (higher=double) plans, it's like having an introductory rate without knowing ahead of time that you'll need to pay full price at the end of the term.
    Except that this isn't a surprise. They're going to tell you that you have to upgrade your plan to switch to a new phone, just like upgrading to a fancier cable box with DVR and HD features is going to require me to pay more for more/different service. You signed a contract with Sprint for X many months and they've honored that price for X many months - they're now telling you that if you want to upgrade, you're going to have to pay a different rate. That's better than my apartment's rent going up every year even though nothing about the building has changed.

It doesn't take an economist to realize that Sprint would generate more revenue from an "Everything" plan. If they are regretting SERO and are trying to kill off its users, they should have had the foresight to never come out with it in the first place.
    Sprint probably only regrets their original implementation of SERO and the fact that you could so easily get onto it despite not being referred to it by a Sprint employee. You know that SERO stands for "Sprint Employee Referral Offer," right? Did you have a friend/family member that gave you their Sprint corporate email address to sign up for SERO? (if you do, I apologize for being an ***, but we all know that customers have abused Sprint's bungled SERO access requirements).

Costs increase, Sprint's bleeding money and customers all the while trying to gain new customers and build out an expensive 4G network. Their business plan is to return value to the shareholder, and having every ****, Jane, and Harry on SERO is not in their best interests.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Long live SERO....

Honestly, we will be able to get the Pre on SERO... no issues.
    Based on..........?
    theog, love the attitude. Hope your right
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Good point Captain_Hair. You're absolutely right that Sprint has honored their price throughout the term I contracted with. The difference is with the cable example I would be paying more for additional backend services: HD programming. With Sprint I plan on using the exact same services and probably around the same amount of them.

Actually I called customer service and asked if I could be switched onto a SERO plan. They happily obliged so I certainly don't classify this as abusing the system.

To put my rants to an end, I hope I can use my SERO plan with a Pre but will understand if I can't. Sprint still has cheaper plans than most but my budget stays real happy with SERO.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Sprint probably only regrets their original implementation of SERO and the fact that you could so easily get onto it despite not being referred to it by a Sprint employee. You know that SERO stands for "Sprint Employee Referral Offer," right? Did you have a friend/family member that gave you their Sprint corporate email address to sign up for SERO? (if you do, I apologize for being an ***, but we all know that customers have abused Sprint's bungled SERO access requirements).
    This is the email I used to sign up for SERO savings@sprintemi.com . I don't think Sprint was trying to prevent people from abusing this. It was an underground viral marketing campaign to stop the bleeding of customer exodus. It worked and now they are trying to upsell the people they kept with this program. Just business. They're not loyal to you and you're not loyal to them, if you don't feel like you are getting value for your money, go to a different carrier.
    My Centro and SERO combination are the best performance and value around. No way would I give up my SERO and pay twice as much for my phone/data plan just to get a new phone. I just don't believe it will be that much better than my Centro. The bigger screen would be nice, but I don't need true multitasking or wifi. I can already play music while I use my Centro for other things, which is good enough.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    It was referred as Sprint Exclusive Referral Offer today at Sprint site
    ... The fact that I want to use a different device to use roughly the same amount of service from Sprint in no way affects their operating costs...
    You don't seem to get it, they don't want to maintain their loss-leader plan. It did what it intended, it got you into their syste. Now they want to make it profitable to keep you. That's their option.

...The notion that they would force me into a higher priced plan is just a gimmick to get me to pay them more each month. While I understand the idea of a company looking out for their bottom line, much as I was looking out for mine when I got SERO, I would appreciate more openness when I initially switched carriers for a SERO plan...
    How were they not "open"? Did they somehow imply the Sero plan would apply to new upcoming phones? What did they do to lead you to believe that? How did they mislead you?

... If Sprint is going to force customers into higher priced (higher=double) plans, it's like having an introductory rate without knowing ahead of time that you'll need to pay full price at the end of the term...
    Uhhhh, 'fraid not. The you're comparing apples and oranges. No one is "forcing you injto a higer priced plan", you want a new device that MAY require tha plan. That's your choice. You would have a point if Sprint was changing the plan on your current phone.

...If they are regretting SERO and are trying to kill off its users, they should have had the foresight to never come out with it in the first place...
    Or, they don't want to kill them off, they just want to maximize profits on a new product. If that's their plan, sounds like excluding SERO would fit that plan well.

...To answer what I would do if I were forced to switch plans, I would most likely stay with SERO and keep using any phone that I could. I would love to own a Pre but can no way justify the overall cost of the phone/plan over what I'm getting now. And yes I will be very happy continuing to save almost $1000/year on my cell plans...
    But the real question remains - will you still whine and moan about how "unfair" it all is? Keep in mind, most of us won't notice, we'll be playing with our new phone...

And yeah, if you haven't discerned that yet, I'm finding the constant whining about SERO tiring as well...
    I wonder if Sprint could do this with any new phone you get through them? They could say, "you can get the new phone but your old plan will no longer work due to new features(or some excuse like that)".
    I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I've seen other carriers get away with this. They could be perfectly within their rights to deny you the Pre unless you sign up for a new plan. Since AT&T and T-Mobile never got hauled in for this, it does make me wonder.

Personally IMO, for good CS, I think they should leave current SERO customers alone(grandfather them in) and then just scrap the plans altogether for anyone new or who wasn't on SERO before. Sure it doesn't look fair to existing customers not on SERO to be forced onto EP while others are still on SERO, but the last thing Sprint needs right now is customers badmouthing them all over.

Of course, now that I think about it, the ones forced onto EP may start badmouthing them all over. No easy solutuon.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!