View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

    9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

    48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

    2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

    44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

    13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

    14 10.77%
Page 34 of 71 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 680 of 1415
  1. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    #661  
    ^ I won't... but believe me or not but I know people who will because they've been Sprint customers for years (years before they moved to SERO) and are simply pissed at being neglected.

    But even for myself, I can't say for how long if every new Sprint phone has the same restrictions. Also, Sprint's plans aren't the most economical anymore, at least here in NYC Metro PCS is promoting a $40 plan with unlimited calling and text and $5 more for web.
  2. #662  
    I didn't vote because there isn't an option for me (too often the case with these kinds of polls). I've got two $30 SERO lines with two Palm OS Treo's. Just to rub it in for those who are jealous, I'm also getting a 20% corporate discount. All told, not counting TEP on one phone (because I've been thinking of dropping it), $5x2 for some SMS messaging, and taxes and such, I could be paying about $56/month for both lines!!! But I pay more because of TEP and my wife's too-frequent usage of 411.

    Nevertheless, I'm watching things closely because I'm a gadget nut and I want something new. I've tried the WM devices but keep coming back to Palm OS. I'll likely be deliberating between the following phones/plans:

    1) Palm Pre. If I can keep my current SERO plan I will almost certainly get a Pre.

    2) If I have to upgrade to one of the newer SERO everything plans (e.g., cheapest one is $60), then there's a good chance that I will probably go that route. But I may just open up a new line and keep both of my existing old SERO plans, as it won't be long before I have to give in to getting my daughter a phone, so the $30 - 20% discount plan would be worth keeping alive.

    3) If I have to get a new SERO plan or, for some reason, can't even get that with a Pre, I will be seriously considering other carriers/phones, such as the iPhone w/AT&T and the upcoming T-Mobile Sidekick (854x480 resolution screen!).
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  3. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #663  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    ^ I won't... but believe me or not but I know people who will because they've been Sprint customers for years (years before they moved to SERO) and are simply pissed at being neglected.

    But even for myself, I can't say for how long if every new Sprint phone has the same restrictions. Also, Sprint's plans aren't the most economical anymore, at least here in NYC Metro PCS is promoting a $40 plan with unlimited calling and text and $5 more for web.
    I don't know if SERO plans are a moneymaker or not, but they have to be close enough to where Sprint really isn't too concerned if some people leave out of spite, that will probably be a small number. I mean really, they've been ignored? That's just silly, talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too. "Give me the cheapest plan by a third and give me the coolest phones too, oh and keep working on new technologies like wimax while you are about to go out of business". Strangle that golden goose. And if they were existing Sprint customers, they shouldn't have been able to get SERO in the first place, so they worked the system.

    I have heard comercials for Metro PCS. I have no idea what kind of coverage they have, but the name "Metro" doesn't sound like it is very big. I'll stick with Sprint.
  4. #664  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    You're missing my point. If you won't upgrade to the Pre because you have to pay $70/ month instead of $30/month, will you really go to AT&T or Verizon and pay even more than that? I think Spint is betting you won't. And SERO customers really can't complain about this decision. You can keep your plan with any other phone (other than the Instinct). It is a deeply discounted plan. Do you think it would be smart for Sprint to offer this plan to everybody on every phone (I know they did, but it wasn't advertized and it is no longer offered)? Of coures not, they would be out of business. Be happy with what yuou have, and if you want the cool new phone, pay the market value (actually the cheapest plans out there) for the services you receive.
    A few points:

    1) It is true that there are many people who are on an old SERO plan that will not leave Sprint even if they can't get a Pre with their SERO plan. The old SERO plans are simply too good of a deal. They'll make due with what they have or they'll get some other Sprint phone that lets them keep their old plan.

    2) There are also some number of people, however, who really, really want a new feature-rich phone like the Pre and have SERO. If forced to upgrade their plan, they will now consider all other options out there (per my last post), such as an iPhone on AT&T, or the G1 (Google Android OS) on T-Mobile, or something else new coming along. Sprint's public rate plans are only marginally better than AT&T's, and are worse than T-Mobile's. Is the Pre "that much better" than the iPhone? Different, yes, but in some ways better, some ways not as good. With the upcoming iPhone software update, it will likely get only better, and there may be new iPhone hardware coming out, too. It's also possible that AT&T, with this new Pre (and other) competition, may get worried and lower their rates a bit. Point being: Sprint's Everything plans combined with the Pre (whose price we still don't know - it could cost more than an iPhone) will offer some healthy competition, but aren't heads and shoulders above the competition. So, yes, Sprint may lose some existing customers here.

    3) Even if Sprint was to let you activate the Pre and Instinct and anything else on the old SERO plan, it wouldn't mean that they'd "go out of business" as you claim. SERO is an "underground" word-of-mouth plan. The average consumer knows nothing about SERO and signs up for whatever plans they see publicly offered at the store. I have no data to back up this claim, but I feel pretty confident in saying that these average consumers make up the *vast* majority of Sprint's customers, and those of us who hunt around for the SERO plans, threaten retentions with leaving in order to get discounts, etc. make up a small minority. My point #3 may appear to conflict with my point #2, but as I've said before, Sprint is definitely making money from SERO customers. They may not be making much, but they're making something, otherwise they wouldn't offer the plans at all. So, if given the choice to keep us or let us go altogether, they'd prefer to keep us. Their preferred choice, of course, is to get us to stay with them but switch to a more expensive plan, which is why they took that gamble with the Instinct, and may very likely try it again with the Pre.
    Last edited by Scott R; 03/15/2009 at 11:17 AM.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  5. #665  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    You need to climb off your bitter wagon and realize that it's not just SERO customers affected here. There are hundreds of thousands, maybe more, long time customers at Sprint that have, over the years, gotten better and better plans through their loyalty and retentions (I was one of them before I discovered SERO) that would be affected by such a silly decision by Sprint forcing new plans on long time loyal customers.

    The people that believe everyone on Sprint should be paying their current advertised plans simply because they do, are truly 'special'. That or just jealous.
    OK, I'll get on my pony. Yes, my high horse was mainly aimed at SERO folks. While I do believe that was a good thing for a while, Sprint let it get abused (no fault on the people who took advantage of it) but I tire of reading how these folks are all worried they can't get the latest phone on their $30 plans. As this topic thread suggests - it is not going to be offered on SERO. I don't think it has been determined that you will, or will not, be able to get it on your individual loyalty plan. I am a loyal customer - I have free data (on only one of 3 lines) and I get a 15% monthly discount. I lost free messaging and free N&W starting at 6 when the deals they gave me expired. And I stayed. I have never been asked to change my plan for a new phone (I get one every year) - if by chance they tell me I am going to have to pay for data to get the Pre, then I'll have to make a decision if it is worth it to me. BTW - if I decided to go to a Blackberry ($30 data plan), I have to pay the difference between that and my current free data which would be $20/mo. So, it is my decision to stick with WM and get free data. I don't blame Sprint nor do I get mad at them for some "silly" decision to NOT give me something for free. Do I deserve it? Sure I think so, but apparently they do not!

    Please, by all means, get mad, don't take this "Sprint sticking it to you" and go to ATT or VZW and then see what your bill is going to be with a PDA phone at either one of those carriers. Believe me, I have tried it. I'll take Sprint at full price and still save money.

    Now my pony is tired too, time to hit the stables.
  6. #666  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    There's one way to make sure it's not just Everything Plans, don't buy it if that is what is required. If enough people do this, Sprint would have to re-think their policy. Now, the problem is, as always, to get everyone on the same page and pull it off.
    I thought you were an ATT-loving-iPhone guy?
  7. #667  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    So why are you still here? You've already "Confirmed" that you can't get a Pre with a SERO plan and you said you weren't getting the Pre. I don't understand why you keep coming back and creating new threads about this. It's a smart business decision in my opinion. There's no way Sprint is going to lose you as a customer right? But they will probably be able to convince a fair number of people to go to an everything plan to get the Pre. I don't see how this is a bad decision by Sprint, just sucks for people with SERO plans that want the Pre, like me. Tough decision, I'm just going to wait and see how things pan out.

    Also, Manny, it's moot not mute.
    AGREE - SERO is great for those who have it and I fully support the fact that you will stay with what you have instead of paying more (that's America!), but give this SERO thread stuff a rest!
  8. #668  
    I haven't waded into this debate before but I mostly agree with dave75. Sprint probably makes very little off the SERO plans, and probably not much off the phones themselves either. From their point of view, it makes all the sense in the world to use the Pre as a carrot to get people into higher plans.

    This may be a stupid question, but I haven't seen it addressed here and I didn't follow the other threads. What are people on the SERO plan expecting to pay for the Pre? The phones are priced the way they are because they're subsidized by a two year plan. This underlines how the phones are carrots and not profit centers, but more importantly, offering a high end phone like the Pre subsidized under a cheap SERO plan would probably be a net loss for them. If you're expecting to pay full price for the Pre (probably upwards of $600) I think you can make an argument about keeping your plan, and not having to renew your contract either. If you're expecting to pay around $199, there's no way you can reasonably expect to continue with $30 service because Sprint's picking up the rest of the tab on the phone.
  9. #669  
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    I haven't waded into this debate before but I mostly agree with dave75. Sprint probably makes very little off the SERO plans, and probably not much off the phones themselves either. From their point of view, it makes all the sense in the world to use the Pre as a carrot to get people into higher plans.

    This may be a stupid question, but I haven't seen it addressed here and I didn't follow the other threads. What are people on the SERO plan expecting to pay for the Pre? The phones are priced the way they are because they're subsidized by a two year plan. This underlines how the phones are carrots and not profit centers, but more importantly, offering a high end phone like the Pre subsidized under a cheap SERO plan would probably be a net loss for them. If you're expecting to pay full price for the Pre (probably upwards of $600) I think you can make an argument about keeping your plan, and not having to renew your contract either. If you're expecting to pay around $199, there's no way you can reasonably expect to continue with $30 service because Sprint's picking up the rest of the tab on the phone.
    In business, it's almost always cheaper to retain your existing customers then it is to go out and get new ones. Turn over is bad. To replace the small revenue from my SERO account with a large revenue SEP holder, they have to spend money on advertising, customer support, etc etc.
  10. though's Avatar
    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    #670  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    And tell me why Sprint cares. If SOME peolpe upgrade, Sprint wil be making more money. This only affects people with low cost plans that won't leave Sprint anyways. Why would Sprint care if you get a Pre or not. The Pre is only a vehicle for Sprint to sell their services. Do you want Sprint to go out of business which would force you to go to Verizon or AT&T? Believe me, I hope I can get the Pre and keep my SERO plan, but look at it from Sprint's point of view. You will never leave, you have no leverage here. A new, cool phone is a good way for Sprint to get people up their plan.
    some of you guys are missing the point. it is NOT a good thing for sprint, as a company, to **** off customers that have been loyal to their company and have recommend dozens of new customers to them over a small handful of people that have a sero plan and want to buy a pre out of pocket. i have been with sprint since 1997 and haven't missed 1 payment. i pay for 2 lines (my wife and i) and have literally referred 20+ people to sprint over the years, if not more. if you give me the pre with my sero, i will show it off to everyone and refer MORE people to sprint. if i am forced to switch to a higher $$$ plan, that would NOT be good.
  11. #671  
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    I haven't waded into this debate before but I mostly agree with dave75. Sprint probably makes very little off the SERO plans, and probably not much off the phones themselves either. From their point of view, it makes all the sense in the world to use the Pre as a carrot to get people into higher plans.

    This may be a stupid question, but I haven't seen it addressed here and I didn't follow the other threads. What are people on the SERO plan expecting to pay for the Pre? The phones are priced the way they are because they're subsidized by a two year plan. This underlines how the phones are carrots and not profit centers, but more importantly, offering a high end phone like the Pre subsidized under a cheap SERO plan would probably be a net loss for them. If you're expecting to pay full price for the Pre (probably upwards of $600) I think you can make an argument about keeping your plan, and not having to renew your contract either. If you're expecting to pay around $199, there's no way you can reasonably expect to continue with $30 service because Sprint's picking up the rest of the tab on the phone.
    I don't expect the rebate but I DO expect the $150 off for fulfilling my 2-year contract.
    I left VZW for a Sprint SERO plan almost 2 years ago and want to keep it and get the Pre.
    I'll pay more for the phone but I will not give up this plan.
    And until Sprint says it officially, "No SERO plans with Pre" I'll hope I can keep my SERO and get a Pre.
    And like someone said earlier, what about the millions of older Sprint customers that don't have SERO but do have plans with unlimited data, do they have to change to get the Pre?
    That's why Sprint needs to honor their older, loyal customers and let them keep their plans to get the Pre.
    If you're leaving ATT, VZW or T-Mobile, then you have to get a SE plan.
  12. #672  
    Quote Originally Posted by though View Post
    some of you guys are missing the point. it is NOT a good thing for sprint, as a company, to **** off customers that have been loyal to their company and have recommend dozens of new customers to them over a small handful of people that have a sero plan and want to buy a pre out of pocket. i have been with sprint since 1997 and haven't missed 1 payment. i pay for 2 lines (my wife and i) and have literally referred 20+ people to sprint over the years, if not more. if you give me the pre with my sero, i will show it off to everyone and refer MORE people to sprint. if i am forced to switch to a higher $$$ plan, that would NOT be good.
    He's right. Since I got SERO 2 years ago, I got 4 people to switch to Sprint.
    So I've brought in $150 a month at the worst that Sprint didn't have before.
    And if I get a Pre, I will be showing that sucker off to every person I know, heck, I'll show it off to strangers too!
  13. #673  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I thought you were an ATT-loving-iPhone guy?
    I still have accounts on both. I have 5 lines for the family. 2 on AT&T and 3 on Sprint. I do really like my iPhone, maybe more so with the upcoming 3.0 update. But, I still use my 800w and really like it and one main reason I have kept my Sprint accounts is for the Pre. It may be the best of both worlds.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  14. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    #674  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    In business, it's almost always cheaper to retain your existing customers then it is to go out and get new ones. Turn over is bad. To replace the small revenue from my SERO account with a large revenue SEP holder, they have to spend money on advertising, customer support, etc etc.
    Yep. I learned that from Ryan's business school knowledge in "The Office"... it's 10 times more expensive to get new customers than to keep current ones.

    And sorry but I don't want to pay more for the phone either. It should be the same thing as any other subscriber would be paying ($150 to $250) who's at the same stage in their contract, because I am sure it will come with a contract extension and I don't mind extending my SERO contract. But, if there is no contract extension, I guess I can pay up to $400 to $500.
  15. #675  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    There are hundreds of thousands, maybe more, long time customers at Sprint that have, over the years, gotten better and better plans through their loyalty and retentions (I was one of them before I discovered SERO) that would be affected by such a silly decision by Sprint forcing new plans on long time loyal customers.
    With Sprint's current customer exodus and documented industry-high churn rates over the past 5 years, I highly doubt there are that many "long time loyal customers" - especially PDA customers. If Sprint's PDA customers are truly loyal (in the same way Verizon's seem to be), an uptick in the rates a failing company charges shouldn't seem so far out of line to those customers.
  16. dsei's Avatar
    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #676  
    I'm sure Palm has a say in this. It's in their best interest for Sprint to sell as many Pre's as possible, SERO and all.
  17. #677  
    Some people just HAVE to believe they have the answer, and anyone who disagrees with them must be wrong.

    The simple truth here is that Sprint has done nothing to clear up the confusion. They have multiple statements that conflict with each other.

    Some point to the "fact" that the Instinct requires an everyting plan as "proof" that the Pre will. Wrong on two counts. There are many, many people with Instincts on other plans, but for some reason there's a certain group of people here that prefer to believe in "facts" that are not, and ignore this truth; and the Pre is not the Instinct.

    Some of the "EP will be required" crowd quotes Dieter, ignoring his statement, on the home page of Pre Central, which says "In other words -- it looks like there won't be any hard and fast requirements but if you are looking to get a plan not enumerated above, schedule in some extra time for haggling, the hard sell, and....."

    The only thing that's really clear is that we won't know until the phone is out, and people try to get the Pre on other plans.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  18. #678  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post

    Some point to the "fact" that the Instinct requires an everyting plan as "proof" that the Pre will. Wrong on two counts. There are many, many people with Instincts on other plans, but for some reason there's a certain group of people here that prefer to believe in "facts" that are not, and ignore this truth; and the Pre is not the Instinct.
    I questioned the statements made and after hearing several folks say that the Instinct had to have the Everything Plan, I asked two of my colleagues that I know have the Instinct. Neither one has an Everything Plan. They both have the plans they had when they bought the Instinct. It's not a SERO plan, but it's simply minutes + unlimited data.They both said the EP wasn't mentioned to them when they bought their Instinct's but they were happy with their plans and made no changes.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  19. #679  
    You can condense this whole thread down to one thing. You won't know til you buy the Pre. It will vary for each person depending on who they talk to.

    And yet, expect to see posts from people who boast they got their Pre on SERO and that they're so cool. Even if they didn't..lol
  20. #680  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You can condense this whole thread down to one thing. You won't know til you buy the Pre.
    But what would be the fun in that? I mean heated arguments about pure speculation is much more productive!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions