View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 33 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23282930313233343536373843 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I don't really care. Yo know, some people are concerned that if the phone costs $50 bucks more than what they're willing to pay, they won't get it. As good as this phone will be, it's stupid to not get it over a small matter.

Same thing with SERO. I currently have an employee discount which outweighs the $59.99 SERO plan, so I hope the Pre comes out before I leave the company.

But if it doesn't, I'm still going to get the phone. Sprint is still 20-30 bucks cheaper than AT&T and Verizon.
    I have the 99.99 Simply Everything Plan...so for me this is a mute point.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I really hope all of the "$30" SERO folks go away. I am tired of subsidizing those plans with my full price plan. I really hope you don't get a Pre on your existing plan - pay up like the rest of us.
    Translation = "Even though Sprint allowed anyone to sign up for the $30 SERO plan for nearly 2 years, I'm bitter that I never knew about it and jealous of those that did".
    I think the "confusion" is only on the forums - and those with the cheap SERO plans worried over the possibility of having to pay a fair price for their service. Sprint and Palm does't own these folks anything.
    You need to climb off your bitter wagon and realize that it's not just SERO customers affected here. There are hundreds of thousands, maybe more, long time customers at Sprint that have, over the years, gotten better and better plans through their loyalty and retentions (I was one of them before I discovered SERO) that would be affected by such a silly decision by Sprint forcing new plans on long time loyal customers.

The people that believe everyone on Sprint should be paying their current advertised plans simply because they do, are truly 'special'. That or just jealous.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I really hope all of the "$30" SERO folks go away. I am tired of subsidizing those plans with my full price plan. I really hope you don't get a Pre on your existing plan - pay up like the rest of us.
    Haha.... Sorry but looks like 9 out of 35 responders - including myself - so far WILL NOT be getting a Pre if they have to lose their SERO plans.

Why should we "pay up"? SERO was basically open to everyone with a generic referral email that was publicly available until about a year ago when the plan was discontinued. Like the poster above said, just because others are paying more for the same service under a different name like "Everything Plus Referral" or "Everything Plus Data" doesn't mean we should be paying the same.

So what it really comes down is money. Do you want the latest and greatest phone (Pre) if it means you would have to pay double my current rate ($60 instead of $30 per month)? Sorry, I'd rather get an HTC phone and keep my plan.
    There's one way to make sure it's not just Everything Plans, don't buy it if that is what is required. If enough people do this, Sprint would have to re-think their policy. Now, the problem is, as always, to get everyone on the same page and pull it off.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    I'll keep my phone or get a different phone before i spend $1000 EXTRA what i pay now per year (gotta consider my phone and the wife's). that's too bad for sprint too because everyone would see the pre and go WOW i need one of those, where do i get it? i would say, well, you can only get it on sprint. i won't be telling that to everyone that sees it if i can't get it......
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    So what it really comes down is money. Do you want the latest and greatest phone (Pre) if it means you would have to pay double my current rate ($60 instead of $30 per month)? Sorry, I'd rather get an HTC phone and keep my plan.
    So why are you still here? You've already "Confirmed" that you can't get a Pre with a SERO plan and you said you weren't getting the Pre. I don't understand why you keep coming back and creating new threads about this. It's a smart business decision in my opinion. There's no way Sprint is going to lose you as a customer right? But they will probably be able to convince a fair number of people to go to an everything plan to get the Pre. I don't see how this is a bad decision by Sprint, just sucks for people with SERO plans that want the Pre, like me. Tough decision, I'm just going to wait and see how things pan out.

Also, Manny, it's moot not mute.
    I don't have SERO, but I have a $50/mo plan that provides two lines for a Treo and a Centro with unlimited data and 1500 minutes total (more than we ever use.) If converting to a Pre on each line would require 2x$60/mo minimum, that would cost me $840/yr extra and provide fewer minutes. The price of the phones themselves would become irrelevant. I can't say that any phone would be worth that kind of raw deal.

It's not just the SERO customers that won't like such a change. It's all of the people who have upgraded from smartphone to smartphone with one company and might feel that the business from long-term customers is no longer valued by Sprint.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Also, Manny, it's moot not mute.
    I thought maybe that since it didn't matter to him, he was just trying to rant more quietly.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    I don't have SERO, but I have a $50/mo plan that provides two lines for a Treo and a Centro with unlimited data and 1500 minutes total (more than we ever use.) If converting to a Pre on each line would require 2x$60/mo minimum, that would cost me $840/yr extra and provide fewer minutes. The price of the phones themselves would become irrelevant. I can't say that any phone would be worth that kind of raw deal.

It's not just the SERO customers that won't like such a change. It's all of the people who have upgraded from smartphone to smartphone with one company and might feel that the business from long-term customers is no longer valued by Sprint.
    But you can keep that plan with any other phone. If Sprint is going to stay in business, they have to start coming close to what the other carriers charge. I don't think they are trying to screw existing customers, I think they're trying not to screw existing customers. They could easily say when your current contract expires, all new plans will be everthing plans. They haven't said that. And we don't even know for sure if this is true with the Pre. They're just trying to stay in business.
    My "current contract" ended a year ago. I have been "assured" that I can keep my plan as long as I want. If getting a Pre means "choosing" to cancel that plan and paying a rate I consider unreasonable, I won't get one. That's simple enough.

But if I keep using my 755p until it dies and if that is so far in the future that they don't have another one in inventory to replace it with under insurance/warranty, what do you think the resolution will be? It seems simpler just to let existing customers keep their existing plans, provided they have unlimited data or are willing to pay the per kb prices for all the data they would use with a Pre.
    Dr J

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    So why are you still here? You've already "Confirmed" that you can't get a Pre with a SERO plan and you said you weren't getting the Pre. I don't understand why you keep coming back and creating new threads about this. It's a smart business decision in my opinion. There's no way Sprint is going to lose you as a customer right? But they will probably be able to convince a fair number of people to go to an everything plan to get the Pre. I don't see how this is a bad decision by Sprint, just sucks for people with SERO plans that want the Pre, like me. Tough decision, I'm just going to wait and see how things pan out.
    I think after posting that you've already realized (from the response above) that SERO users are not the only ones affected by Sprint's decision. There are others who have equally low cost plans with unlimited data who will also have to lose their discounts because their plans are not "Everything" plan.

And we (the 13 votes so far) keep coming back here (just like the majority of SERO users on the Pre board at SprintUsers) because we want out voices to be heard and ensure that Sprint doesn't do a repeat of the Instinct debacle and change their mind. And of course coming back here got me assurance that I am not the only thinking this way.

And I don't think that a fair number of SERO people will get the Pre if it means upgrading, as you can see from the results.
    To be fair, what people vote now and what they'll do when the shiny Pre comes out is two different things probably.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I think after posting that you've already realized (from the response above) that SERO users are not the only ones affected by Sprint's decision. There are others who have equally low cost plans with unlimited data who will also have to lose their discounts because their plans are not "Everything" plan.

And we (the 13 votes so far) keep coming back here (just like the majority of SERO users on the Pre board at SprintUsers) because we want out voices to be heard and ensure that Sprint doesn't do a repeat of the Instinct debacle and change their mind. And of course coming back here got me assurance that I am not the only thinking this way.

And I don't think that a fair number of SERO people will get the Pre if it means upgrading, as you can see from the results.
    And tell me why Sprint cares. If SOME peolpe upgrade, Sprint wil be making more money. This only affects people with low cost plans that won't leave Sprint anyways. Why would Sprint care if you get a Pre or not. The Pre is only a vehicle for Sprint to sell their services. Do you want Sprint to go out of business which would force you to go to Verizon or AT&T? Believe me, I hope I can get the Pre and keep my SERO plan, but look at it from Sprint's point of view. You will never leave, you have no leverage here. A new, cool phone is a good way for Sprint to get people up their plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    To be fair, what people vote now and what they'll do when the shiny Pre comes out is two different things probably.
    I'll drink to that.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I remember when the Instinct was coming out and people has similar thoughts. Turned out that a lot of people did not upgrade, but luckily that phone sucked.

@dave75: Sprint is already bleeding subscribers, and they were probably not SERO customers either. So if I was Sprint, I'd rather have a those low ARPU subscribers where I make a buck or two in gross profits, than just lose those customers altogether by pissing them off about a cool phone (which btw will show up with carriers within 6-8 months of release).
    And tell me why Sprint cares. If SOME peolpe upgrade, Sprint wil be making more money. This only affects people with low cost plans that won't leave Sprint anyways. Why would Sprint care if you get a Pre or not. The Pre is only a vehicle for Sprint to sell their services. Do you want Sprint to go out of business which would force you to go to Verizon or AT&T? Believe me, I hope I can get the Pre and keep my SERO plan, but look at it from Sprint's point of view. You will never leave, you have no leverage here. A new, cool phone is a good way for Sprint to get people up their plan.
    I mostly agree with what you wrote.

I would not sacrifice my $30/500 min SERO plan for any phone -- especially one incapable of local sync of my Palm desktop data ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    as much as a price increase would suck for those on SERO, that's the reality of our economic system. Companies are gonna continually try to keep pushing prices up to increase profits. It's a business, they're not forcing anyone to get a new Pre. Also I know most people on this board are knowledgeable about data usage and the need for unlimited data with a phone like the Pre. But there will be people out there that would look at the phone and say it looks cool, with no idea how data intensive the Pre is, and will be complaining to Sprint about thousand dollar bills 30 days later. I think as a business you need to look at all your consumer base not just the techies. Is it fair for the SERO users, probably not, but they do have an everything data SERO plan. Depends on the person, in the long run, whether they wanna pay extra or not. In all reality if I had SERO and wanted the Pre, I would cave in and get it.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I remember when the Instinct was coming out and people has similar thoughts. Turned out that a lot of people did not upgrade, but luckily that phone sucked.

@dave75: Sprint is already bleeding subscribers, and they were probably not SERO customers either. So if I was Sprint, I'd rather have a those low ARPU subscribers where I make a buck or two in gross profits, than just lose those customers altogether by pissing them off about a cool phone (which btw will show up with carriers within 6-8 months of release).
    You're missing my point. If you won't upgrade to the Pre because you have to pay $70/ month instead of $30/month, will you really go to AT&T or Verizon and pay even more than that? I think Spint is betting you won't. And SERO customers really can't complain about this decision. You can keep your plan with any other phone (other than the Instinct). It is a deeply discounted plan. Do you think it would be smart for Sprint to offer this plan to everybody on every phone (I know they did, but it wasn't advertized and it is no longer offered)? Of coures not, they would be out of business. Be happy with what yuou have, and if you want the cool new phone, pay the market value (actually the cheapest plans out there) for the services you receive.