View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 32 of 71 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeray View Post
    My feeling, is that they will bet that new customers will be enough. Screw the existing customers, either pay more - or leave. I realize the $99 simply everything is good. However, I pay $109 for 5 phones today. 2100 minutes. 2 with unlimited data. $99 doesn't sound all that great anymore, right? Though I'd love to have the PRE, if Sprint says I'm going to have to pay $600+ more a year in order to have it... well, no phone is worth that price my friends.
    They will say it but if what is printed so far or instinct is the rule, you will be able to get around it. the question will be your purchase price on the phone, ie the applicability of discounts and rebates.
    The only thing Sprint should require with the Pre is a plan that has unlimited data.
    If you are already a Sprint customer with a plan with unlimited data (SERO or non-SERO), you SHOULD be able to keep that plan and get the Pre.
    I understand Sprint needs to make a buck but to stick it to their existing customers that already have UD plans is bull.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    They will say it but if what is printed so far or instinct is the rule, you will be able to get around it. the question will be your purchase price on the phone, ie the applicability of discounts and rebates.
    Fine, don't give me the $100 mail-in rebate, BUT, give me the $150 off I am eligible for because I'm at least 22 months into my 2-year contract.
    That's fair.
    Here's what I wrote up based on watching the webinar:

http://www.precentral.net/sprint-pla...ts-not-webinar

I wouldn't take a single line from a liveblog as gospel -- even if it is from me. Getting nuances of context is hard for somebody speaking and people often mis-speak -- add in somebody trying to transcribe and make commentary on it live and you get a lot of error. I did say "looks like" it's required but I think I moderated it later in the liveblog. In any case, the linked article there is what I think is true: unlimited data so strongly recommended that not having it going to be a huge hassle, SERO plans will likely be a fuzzy nether region where some people manage to do it, some don't.
    I've not seen and don't expect to see Sprint specifically address SERO plans. I'm not sure they'd want to draw attention to them. It'll come down to it when you buy it most likely.
  6. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Appears there is no new info on release date other than to say still on track for 1H09.
    Link:
    Palm, Sprint Give Pre Plan Details -- Palm Pre -- InformationWeek
    text:
    Palm and Sprint (NYSE: S) unveiled a few new details about the Pre smartphone and webOS during a Webcast on Thursday.

The Pre and webOS were introduced at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, and they represent Palm's best shot at getting back to the top of the smartphone market. The companies did not give a price or release date during the Webcast, but they did say the first half of the year is still the target.

Users will be able to sign up for multiple service plans but will have to get an unlimited data plan. For individual monthly plans, this means the Pre plans start at $69.99 and go up to $99.99. Pre users also will be able to sign up for family plans and business plans that enable pooled minutes.

Matt Crowley, Palm's product line manager, also demonstrated a few of the operating system's capabilities. One of the most appealing features of the Pre is "Synergy," which aggregates a user's contacts across various Web services into a single interface. For example, Crowley said if a contact changes a phone number using Facebook, the change is automatically made to the phone over the air. The Pre also is capable of searching the handset and the Internet from the home screen, which is a feature that's also present inGoogle (NSDQ: GOOG)'s Android OS.

When Sprint was announced as the exclusive launch mobile operator, some questioned whether partnering with the third-largest U.S. carrier was the right move. Crowley said Sprint was chosen because of its large 3G footprint, data plans, and the ReadyNow program. The ReadyNow program offers in-store setup of smartphones, and Sprint said it has led to marked improvement in customer satisfaction surveys.

Palm also said there would be an over-the-air application store for distributing programs, but did not offer many details. The platform uses Web standards like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, which is meant to give Web developers an easier way to make mobile apps. This also means that the Pre's gaming won't be as robust as it is on platforms like the iPhone 3G, and Crowley said the first version of webOS would be focused on casual, Web-based games.

Smartphones are becoming increasingly capable of using enterprise-grade applications on the go, and they could ultimately be replacements for laptops. InformationWeek examined this issue in an independent report, and it can be downloaded here (registration required).

ADS
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    No it doesn't only some of the discount are affected. I can appreciate you joined a few days ago, but you ought to check sprintusers. There are pelnty of people who have it on all the plans. they just won't let you do it in the store or via telesales, you can always activate an instinct on anything afterwords.
    Did you see that screenshot? It's from Sprint.com, not even TeleSales or Store (as if you can take a screenshot at those locations..).

Anyway, thanks for the reminder that I "joined a few days ago". I've actually been on SprintUsers since '05 and I know exactly which thread and which individuals you are talking about who claim to have the Instinct on their $30 SERO. They are incorrect, as proven in THAT thread. In fact the only way to activate an Instinct on any plan that is not an "Everything" plan is to post date a plan change for the next billing cycle. So you may have it on SERO for a few days, but as soon as the next cycle kicks in your plan will be upgraded (they notify you of this at activation).

Also, I will post screenshots soon of you CANNOT just "always activate an instinct" on anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    It says "Unlimited Data is required". It says nothing about a requirement to have SEP. My SERO500 plan already includes unlimited data so no worries.

I have to agree, that an unlimited data and SEP are different. And gadgetsonthego.net confirmed this in his posting too. I think we are going to be lucky and do not think that the SEP will be required on old customers. Just wish they will give us a tentative release date other than 1st half of 09
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    I have to agree, that an unlimited data and SEP are different. And gadgetsonthego.net confirmed this in his posting too. I think we are going to be lucky and do not think that the SEP will be required on old customers. Just wish they will give us a tentative release date other than 1st half of 09
    Nobody is saying anything about SEP. Pre will not require Simply Everything (SEP). It will however require an Everything Plan, which start at $69.99.
    It sounds to me like Sprint, so far, has really only talked about new customer pricing. They never explicitly said old customers would have to change their plans. In fact, they said they would "strongly recommend" Pre customers have unlimited data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It sounds to me like Sprint, so far, has really only talked about new customer pricing. They never explicitly said old customers would have to change their plans. In fact, they said they would "strongly recommend" Pre customers have unlimited data.

Exactly. ....this topic is mute point until we know more...most of us had smart phones for years now and never once was I forced to change my plan to get a smartphone and its rebate. Almost anything is negotiable over the phone for existing long-term customers anyway!
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    @aero... as promised this is what you do to activate an Instinct (which has exactly the same restrictions as the Pre). And as you can see, it DOES NOT WORK!

---------------------
    Step 1
    ---------------------

http://i39.tinypic.com/11aljlf.jpg

---------------------
    Step 2
    ---------------------

http://i39.tinypic.com/25u1kxu.jpg

---------------------
    Step 3
    ---------------------

http://i43.tinypic.com/f3e5pk.jpg

---------------------
    Step 4
    ---------------------

FAIL!
    It would have been nice if Sprint or Palm had cleared up the confusion themselves at that Web conference.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I've taken this poll from SprintUsers.com... currently 65% of the users on that forum have chosen option # 2. However PreCentral/TreoCentral users are less likely to be SERO customers, so let's see what kinda results we get here.

I am already sure that Pre will not be available on the old $30 SERO plan. Although I hope it is, so I can get one... but to me $30 a month is simply too good to give up just for a phone.

Additionally, those who say that Sprint simply cannot make such a big blunder of not allowing SERO on their hottest phone, well, they've done that already once with the Instinct.
    Last edited by haydur; 03/14/2009 at 08:31 PM.
    Well, you can be sure that Sprint will take into consideration the experience of AT&T with the iPhone. Apparently, they will ill-prepared for the way that their customers would be using their iPhones. Remember the bills that contained hundreds of pages of individual access data? They weren't prepared for iPhone users that used all that bandwith for browsing, downloading, multimedia, etc. to a degree that had not been experienced before.

You can bet that Sprint is anticipating iPhone-like heavy use from Pre users and are going to price accordingly for both new and existing users. It's not like they can afford to buy market share with their financial position.
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Well, you can be sure that Sprint will take into consideration the experience of AT&T with the iPhone. Apparently, they will ill-prepared for the way that their customers would be using their iPhones. Remember the bills that contained hundreds of pages of individual access data? They weren't prepared for iPhone users that used all that bandwith for browsing, downloading, multimedia, etc. to a degree that had not been experienced before.

You can bet that Sprint is anticipating iPhone-like heavy use from Pre users and are going to price accordingly for both new and existing users. It's not like they can afford to buy market share with their financial position.
    That's all assuming, of course, that the Pre is a runaway success and sells numbers like the iphone did. Otherwise, there are plenty of smartphones on sprint using up bandwith all the time, not to mention people with broadband cards, which uses the same network.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    That's all assuming, of course, that the Pre is a runaway success and sells numbers like the iphone did. Otherwise, there are plenty of smartphones on sprint using up bandwith all the time, not to mention people with broadband cards, which uses the same network.
    Yes I have an HTC Touch on SERO and between tethering, Opera Mobile, YouTube, Orb, Google Maps etc. I use around 2Gigs a month on average. And all I see on my bill regarding that is the usage in kilobytes.
    I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    I really hope all of the "$30" SERO folks go away. I am tired of subsidizing those plans with my full price plan. I really hope you don't get a Pre on your existing plan - pay up like the rest of us.
    Last edited by bubbatex; 03/15/2009 at 11:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It would have been nice if Sprint or Palm had cleared up the confusion themselves at that Web conference.
    I think the "confusion" is only on the forums - and those with the cheap SERO plans worried over the possibility of having to pay a fair price for their service. Sprint and Palm does't own these folks anything.