View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 31 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Did you read the whole thing? I said it doesn't make sense and followed it with the explanation. Re-read pls.
    Yes, I absolutely saw your sentence that says, "The only thing I make out is of this gaffe is that they simply forgot to remove when they were updated the disclaimer."

Your interpretation may be correct, but it's still just your interpretation... not proof. I do find it interesting that you're basing your argument on disclaimer that has read the same way for weeks now. If your argument is based on old information, why did you create a new thread about it?
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderful View Post
    But nobody from Sprint has come out and said that the millions of customers with old plans with unlimited data will be required to ditch them. And until someone does come out and say that, the confirmation that this thread's title claims simply isn't true.
    Keep drinking that coolaid dude... if you wanna cross the Pre bridge you'd have to pay the "Everything" toll, or just park on this side with your SERO and take pictures...
    Sprint is only sells phones to make money on the service (they probably lose money on most of their handsets). They are interested in signing up new customers that the Pre will be bringing in a lot more than keeping old customers with extremely low monthly bills. But, they can't simply disallow all smartphones from old from being used with old plans, so it'll only be flagship phones that'll require specific plans, like the Instinct or the Pre (similar to the iPhone or G1).
    I can absolutely understand Sprint's reasoning behind the idea (not that I agree with it), but I don't see why in the world Palm would allow it to happen. Just like Sprint doesn't care about phones, Palm doesn't care about plans. And Palm NEEDS to sell phones in order to survive.
    But nobody from Sprint has come out and said that the millions of customers with old plans with unlimited data will be required to ditch them. And until someone does come out and say that, the confirmation that this thread's title claims simply isn't true.
    I would say what I am talking about is the eligibility for all the new/renew discounts. As far as simply activating a device, the claims that you can't activate a device on certain plans is not correct at this point.

My point is the purpose of the phone is to drive higher ARPU. To Sprint this is just an appliance, a thing to get you in the door or up sell you.

If yo want to take the hit on the sign/re-sign discounts you are lowering their cost of acquiring you and their is a good chance you can get by.
    Keep drinking that coolaid dude... if you wanna cross the Pre bridge you'd have to pay the "Everything" toll, or just park on this side with your SERO and take pictures...
    Translation:
    "I have no proof to support this thread's title. So here is some rhetoric dribble to remove attention from that fact."

I'm not getting the Pre either way. My screen was cracked, so I couldn't hold out any longer and used my 22-month upgrade to buy an 800w this last weekend. I highly doubt the Pre will be available by the time my 30 day window closes, so I'll probably be sticking with the 800w or going a totally different direction in a few weeks. Anyway, I'm saying this to point out that I have no stake in this discussion, except to point out the title of this thread is not true.
    Anyway, I'm saying this to point out that I have no stake in this discussion, except to point out the title of this thread is not true.
    I agree. Based on the title of this thread and the opening post, you would think that Sprint was asked point-blank about SERO during the webinar. IMO, the strongest evidence that SERO users will be forced to change plans is the disclaimer on Sprint's Pre-teaser page.

If anything, today's webinar made things less clear. Per the Q&A you previously quoted (emphasis added by me):
    Q: More details on which plan is necessary for Pre? A: 450 minutes/Data, 900 minutes/Data, or Simply Everything. They start as low as $69.99, up to Simply Everything. Plus business plans. There are a host of plans available. You don’t have to get the Simply Everything plan. You can choose your minutes - but we want customers to have an unlimited data plan, because we want people to have a worry free experience.
    Playing devil's advocate here...I could say, "See? They don't want to force me to change plans. They just want to make sure I have unlimited data so that I'm not dinged with unexpected data-use charges. No problem then, because my current plan already has unlimited data."
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    My $0.02:
    They are publicly saying it requires one of the Everything with Data plans, but who knows what they will say in private to SERO customers at the point of sale?
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    That's the .02 cent question
    Well not everyone who is not currently on an Everything plan is on SERO. There are folks on different plans that already include data and text. What about them (me)?

How did that Instinct run work for them..not that great i can imagine. Sigh...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    This is something I am convinced we won't know until they actually start selling them. They just won't publicly address the situation, it's not in their best interest and it sends a bad signal to investors.

We will be hearing "unlimted required" till release. But we won't have details as to what that means.

And Mr screen shot above should know that on a CSR's screen the old SERO plan now has the words "unlimited everything" in it (I don't recall the exact words of the full plan).
    Pre Available First Half of 2009, Pricing Plans Confirmed

I told you so!

And here's a screenshot of Dieter's comment form the webinar.
    Um... NO

SprintNews on twitter today: "Simply Everything is not a requirement for the #Pre"

If that's not good enough, how about Cnet:
    "Simply Everything is not required. Recommends unlimited data plan since the Pre is so connected."
    Live blog of Palm Pre Webcast | Crave - CNET

I'm 99.99% sure you're full of it. Flame away no-life...
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

The title of this thread is an unsubstantiated lie.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    Um... NO

SprintNews on twitter today: "Simply Everything is not a requirement for the #Pre"

"Simply Everything is not required. Recommends unlimited data plan since the Pre is so connected."
    OK. Let's see this one... hmmm... just find one mention of me saying it will require "Simply Everything" and I will stop posting in this thread. Everything Plans start at $69.99, and this phone will work with those.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I would say what I am talking about is the eligibility for all the new/renew discounts. As far as simply activating a device, the claims that you can't activate a device on certain plans is not correct at this point.
    Not true. Instinct requires an Everything Plan as well. The following is what you get when u try to get an Instinct on Sprint's site:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2rdi8ac.png

And to the person who said all SERO's now say "unlimited everything" in Sprint's systems... not true either. Only the new $59.99 SERO's say that, $30 SERO's are F&F or something else, but not "Everything".
    Not true. Instinct requires an Everything Plan as well. The following is what you get when u try to get an Instinct on Sprint's site:
    No it doesn't only some of the discount are affected. I can appreciate you joined a few days ago, but you ought to check sprintusers. There are pelnty of people who have it on all the plans. they just won't let you do it in the store or via telesales, you can always activate an instinct on anything afterwords.

The discounts matter they are hundreds of dollars and that is important, but sprint doesn't care otherwise.

sprit is using this to move people to higher arpu but there are going to be ways around it by paying full price or buying on ebay.
    Sprint's naming of their plans seem to cause a lot of confusion. Many assume the 99.00 plan is needed. Comes down to that "everything" word they love to use in every plan me thinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    Um... NO

Live blog of Palm Pre Webcast | Crave - CNET

I'm 99.99% sure you're full of it. Flame away no-life...
    Link to the Tweet from Sprint:
    Twitter / sprintnews: Simply Everything is not a ...
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeray View Post
    I see there is this new thread on the same subject so i'll toss my 2 cents.

Seemed to me, per mypre & precentral's take on the information, was that there really is no definite answer as yet. It needs an unlimited plan. Yes, they will push the SEP, and the other EP's, but i have yet to hear anyone from Sprint say that existing plans with UNLIMITED DATA will NOT be allowed to work with the PRE.

I might be wishing, or hoping, or stupidly holding on to a dream... but until I hear Sprint specifically say "no" like they did with the Instinct, then I'm going to continue hoping that i dont have to pay $600 per year more, just to have a PRE, when i already have Unlimited Data.

If I've missed something - let me know. I'll apologize. But i haven't seen anything except "Requires an Unlimited data plan" mentioned anywhere.

I went to gadgetsonthego.net and I saw that it said the SEP is not required.
    It said there will be 3 pricing plans available! (unless I am blind and read just what I wanted to read) We need a release date my friends.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I think everyone has good points here.
    Yes.... everyone.
    The instinct taught us that Sprint thinks their phones are equal to the iPhone and they can tell their customers to get this "revolutionary" phone, they have to ditch their old plans (even with unlimited data) and pay $50 more per month (atleast for families) to get the same unlimited data to work on the instinct. Well, the instinct was nothing special, and it certainly didn't hold a candle to the iPhone introduction. So can they do it with the PRE?
    Certainly. They believe (again) that their new phone is revolutionary. The only problem is, AT&T isn't betting their life on a phone, and Sprint is. So does Sprint take the chance that existing users will simply sit and continue using existing phones and not generate any more revenue at all? Or will Sprint change their position, and atleast generate revenue on the PRE purchase price for existing users with unlimited data?

If I was betting my company on a phone... I would attempt to get everyone i could, onboard. Then say 2 years from now when I'm fat & happy, take a public stance to move existing users to a new plan, now that my money problems are no longer on a last ditch effort to survive. But alas, I'm not Sprint.

My feeling, is that they will bet that new customers will be enough. Screw the existing customers, either pay more - or leave. I realize the $99 simply everything is good. However, I pay $109 for 5 phones today. 2100 minutes. 2 with unlimited data. $99 doesn't sound all that great anymore, right? Though I'd love to have the PRE, if Sprint says I'm going to have to pay $600+ more a year in order to have it... well, no phone is worth that price my friends.
    Last edited by jmeray; 03/13/2009 at 09:21 AM.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Everything Plus(SM) Referral Program

These work as well...

Everything Plus™ Referral Program (unlimited data & text)

500 $59.99
    1000 $79.99

Simply Everything

Unlimited $99.99 Unlimited

Everything Plus™ Family (unlimited data and text)

1600 mins $109.99
    3200 mins $149.99