View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Someone explain this to me - how much data do you get on those SERO plans?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Someone explain this to me - how much data do you get on those SERO plans?
    Unlimited EVDO data.
    This is the most important question in determining whether I will ultimately purchase the pre. I am in a $50 SERO plan. I realize this plan is probably not realistic going forward but I will not switch to the Simply Double plan at $100/month. That would make this a $1,400 - $1,800 phone for me over my two year commitment. An absolute no go for me. I'd just pickup another 755p of craigslist or ebay and move along.

If sprint doesn't require a plan switch then I would probably pay the $399 price that's been floated around.
    With the Instinct I was forced to get an Eveything plan, but not necessarily the most expensive one, Simply Everything. I got the $69.95 Eveything Data plan, which included unlimited text, GPS and internet, but only had 450 monthly minutes of voice.

I posted some complications I had with this arrangement in a similar thread yesterday, but the bottom line is that I returned the Instinct within 30 days. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably buy an Instinct off of eBay, then risk an ESN swap on my Family Share plan.

If I were on SERO, I'd do the same for the Pre: buy it aftermarket, the activate the ESN on Sprint's website rather than go through CS.

I fully expect Sprint to require an Everything plan for activating the Pre.
    Every time a new phone comes out these rumors start about Sprint forcing you to upgrade your plan. All you do is buy the phone then call the business support to swap the ESN and you never even talk about your plan. Its really simple as long as you avoid the regular customer service reps.

I have the same plan that I have had for 6 years and sprint has never made me change it even though I always get the latest phone. 4 lines, 1500 anytime minutes, unlimited data, unlimited text, free roaming, free long distance all for $99. Heck, I don’t even have power vision. I have the old PCS vision on all 3 lines.

When the 700p came out the rumor on these boards was that if you did not upgrade to powervision you would not EVDO speeds. Turned out to be BS just line the SE rumor for the Pre will.

I guaranty I will be able to get the Pre and keep my plan the same. Plus I will get $150 off for loyalty premier customer.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Sprint will try to maximize profit to the extent possible. Really, this is no different than paying a premium for the hottest gizmo at Toys R Us.

Clearly, both Palm and Sprint have been poring over Apple's playbook and are trying to replicate the success. And for both companies, I think it's less about trying to keep existing customers happy, and more about attracting a whole new set of customers.

I think it will all come down to how 'hot' the Pre still is at the time of launch. It there is a strong buildup of demand/excitement prior, they'd be foolish not to require a premium plan. But Sprint and Palm are not exactly marketing dynamos so I've gotta wonder how that's going to play out...
    The only plans that allows the instinct is the Everything Plus plan (New Sero) and the Simply Everything plan. But there are exceptions to this rule. Some users has gotten clueless Sprint reps to activate it for them but that isn't common. Either way, I expect it to be very tough for the old sero plans to get the device imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    The only plans that allows the instinct is the Everything Plus plan (New Sero) and the Simply Everything plan.
    Thats not true. My son is using the Instinct on my plan mentioned above.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    If you quote the rest of the paragraph, I recall saying there are exceptions.
    Granted that some existing Sprint customers can work their way through the maddeningly convoluted and inconsistent customer service system to retain cheap plans from years past. I don't know what percentage of total customers are in that group but I doubt it is large given the recent mass exodus of customers (3 M in 2008?). The Everything plans have not appeared to work.

I think the big question is how many new and existing customers are going to be attracted to an expensive phone and plan, no matter how much marketing is poured into it, given the huge loss of personal investments and rising unemployment. A depression is no time to be pushing premium services. By the time the Pre is available let's hope Sprint has come to their senses with some realistic plans--that goes for the other carriers, too!--and stop trying to charge people for services they rarely use and overcharging the rest. I'm already looking at pay-as-you-go plans (Sprint does not even have one) because $70+ per person per month for phone services is impractical any longer.
    Pre-what?
    I don't get it. Sprint is still cheaper than any other service, even with the 'Everything' plans. I know people have had SERO for cheaper, but you've been getting by on plans that are absolutely ridiculous. Honestly I don't know why they just don't force all SERO customers to switch. Even if most of them left Sprint, it'd do wonders for their profit since I'd be willing to bet you're costing them money.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't get it. Sprint is still cheaper than any other service, even with the 'Everything' plans. I know people have had SERO for cheaper, but you've been getting by on plans that are absolutely ridiculous. Honestly I don't know why they just don't force all SERO customers to switch. Even if most of them left Sprint, it'd do wonders for their profit since I'd be willing to bet you're costing them money.
    They've already came up with a solution to make the sero customers switch. Force them to upgrade their plans if they wanted to get certain devices.

Getting by eh? LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo View Post
    Granted that some existing Sprint customers can work their way through the maddeningly convoluted and inconsistent customer service system to retain cheap plans from years past. I don't know what percentage of total customers are in that group but I doubt it is large given the recent mass exodus of customers (3 M in 2008?). The Everything plans have not appeared to work.

I think the big question is how many new and existing customers are going to be attracted to an expensive phone and plan, no matter how much marketing is poured into it, given the huge loss of personal investments and rising unemployment. A depression is no time to be pushing premium services. By the time the Pre is available let's hope Sprint has come to their senses with some realistic plans--that goes for the other carriers, too!--and stop trying to charge people for services they rarely use and overcharging the rest. I'm already looking at pay-as-you-go plans (Sprint does not even have one) because $70+ per person per month for phone services is impractical any longer.
    Agreed. But I never thought that people would actually go for the high cost of iPhone ownership, and we know how that turned out (yeah I realize the Pre is not the iPhone and that the economy has gotten worse).

Figuring out just how much you can get away with, in terms of charging people, is more of an art than science. We'll see...
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That depends on what services are being used. Carriers make huge profits on messaging even though it costs them almost nothing. They make big profits on unused voice minutes as well. Data is more complex and some of the a-la-carte plans can get expensive but that does not mean Sprint's Everything is a good deal for most customers. I don't think price gouging by phone carriers is going to be tolerated much longer.
    Pre-what?
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    this is a repost that i did on the 'other thread':

i have been with sprint since 1997 and like others on here have said, i WILL NOT change to a higher dollar plan just to use this phone, nor will my wife. i have the 800w and she has the 700p. we both like our palms... i would gladly pay more for the phone, her probably as well, but NOT more for the monthly bills...

please sprint, don't punish your long-term, loyal customers by making them pay higher monthly fees just to use a new device. let the ship jumpers, if anything, pay for the current/new plan prices...
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Now that SERO is a done deal, can we transfer a new phone to the account or will Sprint force us to sign up for another plan? I would love a Pre but am wary about giving up my 755p if I have to enroll in a more expensive monthly plan. Anyone know?
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    If sprint forces me to upgrade my sero plans, I will simply buy the phones off ebay and/or pay retail at palm.com.

Sprint is losing existing customers left and right, I doubt the last thing they want to do is to drive away more existing customers.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    SERO is more important than the new device.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    ya, you may be able to buy the phone off ebay or palm, but will they let you activate it and get it going????
    I think Sprint would have a hard time telling you that you can't activate your phone with your existing plan. I could see the upgrade to EVDO, but this time there's nothing the new plans have that's tied to the hardware of the phone.

Sprint is not providing you with any extra service, how can they justify asking you to upgrade your plan? If they try, an easy conversation with retention should get that fixed.
Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast