View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 29 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
    The reason the Instinct was only released on the Everything plan was due to it's feature rich content which required a data plan to be useful. The way I see it, the Pre is no different. Not only will this phone rely heavily on the internet, it loses a lot of functionality without it. It would be a huge surprise to me if it were not restricted to everything plans...

But playing devil's advocate, we should take a step back and realize that Sprint is not the only one calling shots here. Certainly Palm does not want their precious to be held back in any way, especially by something like plan restrictions. They want and need maximum exposure. I guess it's possible in Palm's desperate state they might agree to something silly like this, but I find it hard to believe.

Conclusion? Sprint will want it to be restricted, Palm won't. Who will win?
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post
    Conclusion? Sprint will want it to be restricted, Palm won't. Who will win?
    Sprint.

My conclusion is based on Sprint Pre page's fine print: sprint.com/pre
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Sprint.

My conclusion is based on Sprint Pre page's fine print: sprint.com/pre
    And the fine print you are referring to is....?
    The key here is unlimited data.
    I already have it on my SERO plan and I have plenty of voice minutes.
    Why should I pay an extra $30 to get Sprint's GPS, TV and music, which I do not need.
    If Sprint had an unlimited text, data, voice plan for $50 (yes, I know about Boost) without the other stuff, I would go for that.
    Worst. Thread. Ever.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Pre Available First Half of 2009, Pricing Plans Confirmed

I told you so!

And here's a screenshot of Dieter's comment form the webinar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by haydur; 03/12/2009 at 01:43 PM.
    I think most people saw this coming. Just like the instinct.
  8. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    It says "Unlimited Data is required". It says nothing about a requirement to have SEP. My SERO500 plan already includes unlimited data so no worries.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    @bryanharig: True... but a few also kept arguing with me on this forum.

I mean what part of sprint.com/pre that states "Requires activation on Everything with Data plan" don't you understand?

@Ya Boi D: He was referring to them talking about Everything/SE during the presentation.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderful View Post
    And the fine print you are referring to is....?
    Ummm... THE fine print that reads "Requires activation on an Everything plan with data" on bottom of that page.

@patchs: Yes, you shouldn't have to, but you will if you want to get the Pre. Just like you have to with the Instinct today.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I think most people saw this coming. Just like the instinct.
    agreed... anybody who really thought this was going to be available on sero was dreaming. and i am a current sero sub and i have no problem paying for the everything plan to get a pre. i was planning on it anyways.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Ummm... THE fine print that reads "Requires activation on an Everything plan with data" on bottom of that page.
    ...and what does it say right after that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    ...and what does it say right after that?
    "A $0.03/KB charge applies without a data plan"

However, I think that the previous sentence rules this out. Unless you activate it with an Everything Plan and somehow weasel out to a cheaper plan (I don't think Sprint will be willing to let customers do that)

This was probably only included as part of some generalized disclaimer put in for all their phones.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Turquoise.

Seriously, I'm going to enjoy laughing at all the delusional people that at launch see this isn't SERO and are going to go "WHAAAAAAAT! I never saw that coming!"
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    As I said in another thread...

That isn't really "new" news. Its new to people that just wanted to keep ignoring things said and printed by Sprint and Palm in holding out hope for "please let us have SERO!!!!!! You owe it to us!".

Its like of like a Company going "Okay, this is coming out in blue"

and people going "well, turquoiseis kind of blue, and I like turquoise. They said blue, it must mean there will be turquoise".

and then the company going again "We think that using a single color scheme, blue, as the standard will add appeal to the device"

and people going "well yeah, a single color scheme, blue. But they could still give variety through a lot of hues of blue for the scheme. There could be navy blue, sky blue, and still turquoise! Its still a possability. They're not being CLEAR"

and then the company going "Look, its blue. BLUE"

and people going "....turquoise right?"
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    so the current sprint family plan with everthhing data and however many minutes is good for pre?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Back to the subject at hand....

Today the webcast occurred.
    Sounds like they are pushing the EVERYTHING Plans for the PRE.
    However, it also sounded like it "had to have an unlimited plan" which could mean that those of us with existing unlimited plans might still be in the hunt, without having to lose our very nicely priced existing plans.
    I did the math as well, i would have to pay over $50 per month more than i do now, in order to move to a family everything plan. I dont even have SERO. The main problem is that it makes you move ALL of the phones (even ones that are not even data capable or phones where the individual has never and will never, use data). I don't need that. I need 2 phones with unlimited data, and 3 without data, just messaging. i dont need 5 new phones. I need 2 new PRE's. I want to keep my 3 old phones, have 2 phones on unlimited data, and i dont want to pay for what I'm not using on my other 3 phones. Oooh, that sounds just like my current plan!

i went through this when the darling-wife wanted the instinct. Well, needless to say, she's still not got her instinct, as we cross our fingers for adoption of our unlimited data plan with the PRE. $50 * 12 is way too much to pay ongoing, for the PRE. I don't mind (like some of you) paying a decent 1 time charge for the hardware, but I dont need to pay $600 a year more for the data.

Anyway... mypre and precentral both have the information from todays webcast and it appears to me, atleast so far, that our existing unlimited data plans might still be usable for the PRE.

Crossing fingers.... again.
    Anyone else get the same thoughts from today's webcast?
    or do you think we'll be instinct'd (new word) which means "Pay for our new more expensive plan, or keep your old phone and deal with it".

Jme
    Last edited by jmeray; 03/12/2009 at 03:54 PM.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Quite the contrary, Dieter said they weren't going to comment on SERO. My SERO plan includes unlimited data.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I see there is this new thread on the same subject so i'll toss my 2 cents.

Seemed to me, per mypre & precentral's take on the information, was that there really is no definite answer as yet. It needs an unlimited plan. Yes, they will push the SEP, and the other EP's, but i have yet to hear anyone from Sprint say that existing plans with UNLIMITED DATA will NOT be allowed to work with the PRE.

I might be wishing, or hoping, or stupidly holding on to a dream... but until I hear Sprint specifically say "no" like they did with the Instinct, then I'm going to continue hoping that i dont have to pay $600 per year more, just to have a PRE, when i already have Unlimited Data.

If I've missed something - let me know. I'll apologize. But i haven't seen anything except "Requires an Unlimited data plan" mentioned anywhere.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    I'm absolutely not expecting the Pre to be available on SERO, but I'm still completely missing the proof that it won't be. I've still seen nothing but speculation. Of course they keep mentioning requiring unlimited data, but SERO already has this.

Final question and answer from today's seminar:
    "Q: More details on which plan is necessary for Pre? A: 450 minutes/Data, 900 minutes/Data, or Simply Everything. They start as low as $69.99, up to Simply Everything. Plus business plans. There are a host of plans available. You donít have to get the Simply Everything plan. You can choose your minutes - but we want customers to have an unlimited data plan, because we want people to have a worry free experience."

For new plans, it's absolutely true you can't get unlimited data for less than $69.99 - but I still don't see where anyone has said they won't allow old plans that cost less to be grandfathered in.