View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 28 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
    I was a sprint customer for 7 years before switching to T-Mobile. Sprint retentions only offered me 10% off to stay then.

OF course 2 years later, after my contract with T-Mobile, I got back with Sprint, and that was 2 years ago.

It's too bad they can't look up that I was a loyal customer for that long and add it to my years now.
    Simply Everything is a WONDERFUL deal for me. I typically use 1400 minutes a month (Girlfriend and I don't bother with a land line), 500 texts, A LOT OF DATA (How do you think I am ALWAYS in these forums. It's due to my Blackberry always combing this beautiful site to hear from you wonderful people), and if I get bored because there's no activity in here: I'll even bust out some Sprint TV.

Not to mention Sprint Nav, which absolutely rocks.

SEP is a GREAT deal for me. Trying to find a comparable plan on any other carrier is a joke from what I've researched. Before SEP, I spent A LOT more on average than 100 a month. Soon, I will also have the best smartphone in the biz to add on to my wonderful plan.

Life is wonderful...
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    http://www.palm.com/us/assets/images...Navigation.jpg

Not quite confirmation, but close enough I think.
    I really really hope that those awesome folks known as "hackers" or "devs" can focus on the Pre so much so that they can get TomTom working on it, but i have doubts. I'll email TomTom directly and see if they care...
    My experiences with Telenav haven't been very good or positive.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    For some reason, to me, that picture looks like a mockup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I really really hope that those awesome folks known as "hackers" or "devs" can focus on the Pre so much so that they can get TomTom working on it, but i have doubts. I'll email TomTom directly and see if they care...
    My experiences with Telenav haven't been very good or positive.
    I agree on telnav. Dedicated programs like tomtom, garmin and navigon run on high end smartphones so much better than telenav in my experience.

but you have to remember a lot of these makers already run under a shel of WinCE so converting to windows mobile, which also has 50 million mobile device platforms already, was easy and hugely cost effective.

This is exactly the type of high end application thing for which there will be a big disinterest without tens of millions sold. There is also a problem these makers ran into with piracy.

Tenlav will have to do if you want a pre, I bet it never comes out on webOS
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I have 2100 minutes, N/W starting at 7, free data on 2 phones, 500 texts for every phone, and 4 phones for just over $100/month with taxes and fees. :-P Being a customer for over 11 years definitely helps. Sprint representatives are very interested in keeping us as customers since we've been loyal for so many years. We can usually get really good prices on the phones also.

Don't ask me what kind of plan that is, cause really we've just been grandfathered into a ton of deals. Only thing I can recommend is checking if sprint offers your company discounts. I think depending on what company you work for it can be as much as 25%.
    Did you get the special invite email to view the Palm Pre Webinar on March 12th, 2009?

Just wondering what the qualifications are to get that special email.
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    hi guys,

i have been reading this forum for 2 months now and i am anticipating the pre as much as you guys. i decided to go the opposite way the thread starter went and i am going to buy a pre..... NO MATTER WHAT!

i dont care if i have to sell my soul to vodafone for 2 years and being stuck in a bad contract. vodafone will be the carrier in europe, since t-mobile germany has exclusive rights to the iphone and the g1, of course. so there are not many other carriers around. so lets hope, the time frame between the u.s. launch and europe release will be as small as possible, because my contract is up on march 27th. and i dont want to wait too long, while using prepaid cards to bridge the time span until the europe release...
    where?
    Larry
    Thought I would share this for those concerned about having to switch to an Everything Plan (I'm concerned as well), and here's some salt to go with it.

My current plan details:
    Family 550 Talk (2 lines)
    Additional addons for my 700P:
    Sprint Power Vision (unlimited data)
    1000 sms

I've spoken to Jessica (the Sprint chat account for plans at sprint.com) a total of 3 times since hearing about the Pre, the last time being last Friday. Each time they have told me that I would not have to change my plan to get the Pre. Here's hoping I won't have to switch to an Everything Plan
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    homie, I commute with guys who use aTT tethered for use with their laptop and calls at the same time on a single plan with no extra fees. You can see dozens of roadwarriers with aTT phones hooked to their laptops while they talk on them on any amtrack ride or airport lounge..

When you are saying someone cant sit in an airport and tether and talk you are talking about Sprint's technical limits with CDMA, that are not present on ATT. On ATT you don't need mobile broadband to use your laptop and talk. You can easily do it on the single account and on your handset only.

The ability to do this is not obscure or a difficult hack, it is mainstream one click software which the New York Times has featured and explained, as a has cnet and bnet and just about every roadwarrior publication.

Sprint's inabilityt to give voice and data at the same time means you have to pay extra and get a lpatop card and laptop service ifg you want to talk at teh same time as you listed in your example -- on ATT it involves no extra data card or plan since the technology for voice and data is already there..
    hey homie!

guess what, you can only talk and tether on ATT's network IF you're in a 3G area! know how I know? I'm on ATT!

I pay $105 a month with ATT and thats only with 450 min, BES and 400 SMS. now how does that compare with Sprint's plan? I'm looking to switch to Sprint when the Pre comes out on their $60/month that includes unlimited SMS, MMS, data, BIS and 450 min. If you think using your phone as a modem is the same as a dedicated card, then you obviously have never used a card before. They are not the same. A cell phone tethered will never be as fast as a dedicated card when it comes to both upload and download speeds, search google to find some data.

What happens when you're not in ATT's 3G area and you want to go online and call someone at the same time? you're SOL! You'd be insane to use your phone as modem if you need wireless broadband connection on your laptop on a daily basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Thought I would share this for those concerned about having to switch to an Everything Plan (I'm concerned as well), and here's some salt to go with it.

My current plan details:
    Family 550 Talk (2 lines)
    Additional addons for my 700P:
    Sprint Power Vision (unlimited data)
    1000 sms

I've spoken to Jessica (the Sprint chat account for plans at sprint.com) a total of 3 times since hearing about the Pre, the last time being last Friday. Each time they have told me that I would not have to change my plan to get the Pre. Here's hoping I won't have to switch to an Everything Plan
    I would get her to notate your account with that "promise". If the Pre comes out and they try to tell you that your plan won't work, you can raise all types of holy hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I would get her to notate your account with that "promise". If the Pre comes out and they try to tell you that your plan won't work, you can raise all types of holy hell.
    I have the conversation saved in an email.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Biggest problem is that sprint LOWERED expectations when they offered SERO....

People like to go DOWN but not UP when it comes to paying for services.

After having the sero $50 plan... I can't see paying $99* for phone service and being happy about it.... lol

*My 1250 minutes might as well be "unlimited" for me....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Warning: This *might* not be kosher.

If and when tools like BitPim support the Palm Pre or access to other diagnostic menus is hacked and made public... you should be able to purchase any used (and bricked) 3G Sprint phone from eBay (around $20 to $30) and then change the ESN number on the Pre to the ESN of that bricked phone. After that, activation would be to simply change your number's associated ESN through Sprint.com. Similar to other new phones, the Pre will most likely not require any manual programming, and in case it does, you should already have access to those menus to change that info.
    Last edited by haydur; 03/12/2009 at 05:52 AM.
    As stated many times already... no one knows if we will not be able to use our SERO plans with the Pre...

Some assume no... some assume yes. It is a "wait and see" at this point. I know, I've seen the multiple posts which point to "everything" and whatever... we will know for sure on release.

Not sure why anyone would risk a brand new phone to a hack... I have a harsher work than "kosher" for the post, but whatever...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    The truth is out there buddy. All you have to do is just accept the inevitable... (read the fine print on Sprint's Pre page and talk to their CSRs.)

At this point, I am 99% certain this phone will require an Everything Plan... the 1% left is hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    The truth is out there buddy. All you have to do is just accept the inevitable... (read the fine print on Sprint's Pre page and talk to their CSRs.)

At this point, I am 99% certain this phone will require an Everything Plan... the 1% left is hope.
    I know... I've read your fud on the other threads.... and I'm not your buddy. lol

Let me see, you are not 100% sure, but you continue to push it out there... right.

But we have all seen this before... everyone reacts differently to new releases... rather interesting to see how humans react when faced with uncertainty... entertaining at least....

BTW, your post went to 0 credibility when you said you spoke to their CSRs... those people are about worthless and know less than the someone who reads the stuff on Treocentral...
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    OK, how about if I change that 99.99%?

I've been a Sprint user for years (on the SERO) and this is exactly how it happened between the time Instinct was announced and launched. Sprint put the words "Requires activation on Everything Plan" on the Instinct page, and then [on SprintUsers.com and other Instinct boards] there were people like myself who knew exactly what it meant, and people like you who kept the hope alive... So, good for you. We will probably find out for sure today. (I won't be saying "I told you so"... or would I?)

Anyway, what plan and phone are you? If it's SERO, are you going to switch to the get the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Warning: This *might* not be kosher.

If and when tools like BitPim support the Palm Pre or access to other diagnostic menus is hacked and made public... you should be able to purchase any used (and bricked) 3G Sprint phone from eBay (around $20 to $30) and then change the ESN number on the Pre to the ESN of that bricked phone. After that, activation would be to simply change your number's associated ESN through Sprint.com. Similar to other new phones, the Pre will most likely not require any manual programming, and in case it does, you should already have access to those menus to change that info.
    So if the Pre is restricted from SERO plans we may be able to use a tool that may be updated to support the Pre to do something that is definitely illegal.

Thanks, I guess.

Dont put that cart before the horse, once the Pre is out the hacking and scheming will begin. Just like with the Instinct, if it is restricted I am sure within a few weeks people will have it working on regular plans.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I will stick to my guns unless Sprint says otherwise:
    Pre will require an Everything Plan and will not work with the old SERO plans..