View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 25 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    I'm sure sprint will start to cave & let people move to the pre & keep existing plans.

I don't think the pre is going to be that big. Maybe I am wrong. I suspect it will be mostly palm fans most excited at launch, but there won't be much momentum beyond this group.

Here is why I am going to wait: I am concerned about the quality of the phone.

I've had the 600, 650, 700p and the centro. and it seems like outside of the 600, all had issues with hardware & OS quality.

Why should I expect differently?

To some degree, the Pre is a hail mary pass- no time left on the clock, one last desperate heave.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    But the fact is, Sprint is not going to allow us old SERO customers to use any of the new upcoming smartphones, including the Pre or their first Android device.
    Actually that's not a fact, that's an assumption. Until a SERO customer calls up to order a Pre when they are available, we simply don't know for sure.

And I read the fine print on Sprint's website, I'd say it's somewhat ambiguous.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Actually that's not a fact, that's an assumption. Until a SERO customer calls up to order a Pre when they are available, we simply don't know for sure.

And I read the fine print on Sprint's website, I'd say it's somewhat ambiguous.
    It says "Requires activation on an Everything plan with data".

How is that ambiguous? And rest assured that I have chatted / spoken with multiple CSRs and they all are told me (not said they didn't know) but told me that this phone will require an Everything plan. And I told them how my plan has "everything", but they said it's a requirement to activate the phone, even if I have a phone in hand that I purchased outright, just like the Instinct.

How is that ambiguous? And rest assured that I have chatted / spoken with multiple CSRs and they all are told me (not said they didn't know) but told me that this phone will require an Everything plan. And I told them how my plan has "everything", but they said it's a requirement to activate the phone, even if I have a phone in hand that I purchased outright, just like the Instinct.
    What's ambiguous to me is the sentence immediately after that you left out. .03 cents a minute without a data plan.

That spawns too many questions. Does that mean SERO would work but I'd get charged for data usage? Does that mean I can pay for an add-on data pack on to my SERO plan to make it work? Does that mean certain special plans are required, that may or may not have data, but not SERO? etc etc.

I'm not calling you a liar. It's just not a nail in the coffin to me. The only way Sprint would be stupid enough to strictly enforce it as you are claiming, is if they truly do not want the Pre to be a flagship phone. Because there are way too many customers that believe, as you and I do, that plans always trump phones.

I realize you talked to CSR's, but I don't trust them, or what they know. Like I said, it's not a FACT to me until someone with a SERO plan has tried to activate a Pre in his hands.

Sprint has far too many existing customers that are not on SEP. Most of those customers, in this declining economy, are not going to double their plan just for a cool phone. I have faith that Sprint realizes this, if they want this phone to be a true competitor for the iphone. If they don't, then at most they will just get a handful of new customers that have lots of money and like the newest thing, and a the existing customers that already have SEP
    Last edited by Beanis; 03/04/2009 at 09:47 PM.
    if i were sprint... i would do the following:
    for those who wanna keep their zero plans will have to pay more to get the pre...

and for those who dont mind to upgrade will pay a cheaper price which is usually the 'as low as price'...
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    If you look at Sprint's Pre page (in the fine print) it says that you will need the Simply Everything Plan. Kinda stinks, but I will most likely get it anyway, since my wife will be upgrading to a new phone too (although not a pre). A Simply Everything Family Plan with data and 1500 minutes will cost me $129, which is about $25 more than I pay now with all the add ons.
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post
    for those who wanna keep their zero plans will have to pay more to get the pre...

and for those who dont mind to upgrade will pay a cheaper price which is usually the 'as low as price'...
    As a SERO owner, I'd be perfectly fine with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post

Yeah make them pay full price!! The people who get the SE plans (i.e. me) will have to pay more anyways but over time...
    Did I miss something? You're not going to get a Pre because $60 a month for everything is too expensive, but you're signing with T-mob for $85 a month?

Is this the New Math, where less is more?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I actually have the same plan and phone as you. I will not change my plan for the Pre. If indeed what you say is true, that there is no way around it, I guess I'll be looking harder at the G1 and T-Mobile as well.
    Like the poster above I have been following the PRE and this forum diligently for about a month and a half now. I have been reading almost every thread here and feel it was about time I contributed and posted something. I am currently using a HTC touch and am completely done with it and WM 6.1 I'm actually thinking about activating my older Moto Q till I figure out what I'm going to do.

We are currently out of contract as of Feb. 1 of this year and am patiently waiting for the PRE like everyone else here. The problem is my wife needs a new phone like last week but I am waiting because that would renew our contract.

I currently have a 7 year old Sprint Free and Clear plan which is shared between my wife and I. 2000 anytime minutes and unlimited everything else for $85 (untouchable by any other carrier). They grandfathered me in every time they upgraded their internet service (3 times) at no cost. Each time I renewed my contract I made damn sure my plan would be untouched and they made it happen. I also get 21% discount because where I work. With tax and insurance for both phones my bill total is about $95.

*I emailed Russ S. McGuire who is the VP of Strategy with my concerns and or problems he sent my Email to another Rep who then contacted me. It really sounded like he was pretty high up on the food chain with Sprint. The gentleman I spoke with on the phone was again asked by Russ McGuire to contact me and make things good. He told me they honestly didn't know if they were requiring a SEP for the PRE just yet. He did say if Sprint didn't require a SEP the price of the phone would be much more to buy. He looked into my plan and told me I would be paying $19 more per month and would lose 500 minutes if they were to require a SEP. I asked if they could at least meet me half way with the lost minutes which was a no go. My only other option would be to shoot for a SERO plan and it sounds like those are being reformatted from what the Rep said.

The Sprint Rep also told me they are planning on releasing a Blackberry touch screen phone on the Sprint network before the years end. He used the words somewhat like the Storm. I prodded him for more information on it but her wouldn't budge. He was a great guy that told me I could contact him at any time to check the status on the PRE and for any other concerns I might have. I have to admit I have notice a huge improvement in Sprints customer service lately.

I really don't know what I'm going to do right now and it's driving me nuts. I really want the PRE and actually quite happy with my Sprint service. They have taken good care of me and my wife for quite a while now.

Worse case scenario I am looking into T-Mobile as they seem to have the best phones lately. I don't know if they can come close to what I am paying right now but it's worth a shot.

In conclusion I am too getting frustrated with how long it's taking Sprint and Palm to come out with a release date. I understand they want a the PRE to be released free of bugs but come on. Do they really think they can introduce this awesome phone and then keep everybody waiting. I know I'm not the only one looking at other options at this point. If I can find a desirable plan and phone with T-Mobile I might just pull the trigger. The G1 or the new 8900 look pretty sweet! Verizon and AT&T are out of their minds with their ridiculous prices.

I will be contacting the Sprint rep I talked to soon to get an accurate update. I will post anything of interest.

Thanks for listening (reading)

SJBFIRE
    ^Really good post SJBFIRE. I hope you can get it all worked out and stay with Sprint AND get the Pre. Good luck to you. If worse comes to worse then I'll see if I can sell you my Blackberry.

(That's if I don't pawn it off on my Mother first)
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    SJBFire,

Thanks for that story. As I thought, they don't know if they are forcing SEP yet. It's a very tough choice for them, I imagine. they need to make money, and that's why they do it. But as the economy spirals down, most of us just aren't going to pay for a higher plan, with any phone.

I think Sprint would be wiser, in this climate, to try and get Pre's in as many hands as possible, even if they don't make a bundle on it. It will give them notoriety and make them a status symbol like the iphone - and what better competition for AT&T to have an iphone killer with a much cheaper plan?

I would be willing to pay full price for the pre, if it meant I kept my SERO 500, but I doubt they'll have that as an option.
    I also have the Sero 500 plan and i will definitely be switching to the Pre. Minutes are not an issue for me so the 450 sep will work for me. I would like to keep the Sero plan but realistically i don't think Sprint is going to give us that option. However I work at Sears and we get a 25% discount with sprint so that will make it much more bearable. For those of you who don't know, there is a long list of companies in which sprint offers discounts. You should definitely call and ask if you are eligible.

And so I wait!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Maybe I am comprehending this whole thing a lot differently, but to me it appears that if you want to qualify for the full discount on the phone you have to sign up for the simply everything plan. Since that sentence falls under the phone offer header, then you see data header there after with data usage prices referring to plans that don't include data.

So unless I am mistaken and there is a simply everything plan that doesn't include data, this would lead me to believe that a simply everything plan isn't required.

This also just appears to be a generic fine print statement and not exactly pre specific.
    Last edited by edubz; 03/05/2009 at 01:22 AM.
    I think that if they made it madatory with the Everything plan they will loose MASSIVE amounts of sales, it will be a disaster.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I think this has been pointed out before in other threads, but as the quote above notes, the fine print on Sprint's website says "Everything plan". It doesn't actually say "Simply Everything plan".

When I spoke to Sprint last month to find out if I qualified for the Premier customer program, the woman mentioned that my SERO 500 plan is listed in the computer as the "SERO Everything Plus plan". I am certainly among the group of SERO users who hope that moving to the Pre won't cost me my plan, and knowing Sprint calls my plan an "Everything" plan makes me feel a little bit more hopeful.
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Did I miss something? You're not going to get a Pre because $60 a month for everything is too expensive, but you're signing with T-mob for $85 a month?

Is this the New Math, where less is more?
    I think you missed the part where I mentioned [twice] that I am only with Sprint for the $30 SERO, and I don't even get service at home. The difference between the $60 and the $85 plan is that the later has unlimited anytime minutes compared to 500 minutes. Also, I've gone over my minutes in the past and paid a hefty price, unlimited minutes just give one a peace of mind.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kasi1222 View Post
    I think this has been pointed out before in other threads, but as the quote above notes, the fine print on Sprint's website says "Everything plan". It doesn't actually say "Simply Everything plan".

When I spoke to Sprint last month to find out if I qualified for the Premier customer program, the woman mentioned that my SERO 500 plan is listed in the computer as the "SERO Everything Plus plan". I am certainly among the group of SERO users who hope that moving to the Pre won't cost me my plan, and knowing Sprint calls my plan an "Everything" plan makes me feel a little bit more hopeful.
    Actually the $30 plan is listed as "SERO 500 Fair & Flexible" not Everything Plus Data, I think she was referring to the new $59.99 plan, which does qualify for the Pre like I mentioned in my original post.
    Actually the $30 plan is listed as "SERO 500 Fair & Flexible" not Everything Plus Data, I think she was referring to the new $59.99 plan, which does qualify for the Pre like I mentioned in my original post.
    Not that it's my place to stick up for kasi1222, but did you miss this part of his post on what the rep said his plan was listed as in the system?

Quote Originally Posted by kasi1222 View Post
    When I spoke to Sprint last month to find out if I qualified for the Premier customer program, the woman mentioned that my SERO 500 plan is listed in the computer as the "SERO Everything Plus plan".
    How would you not interpret that to mean kasi1222 is on a SERO Everything Plus Plan?
    Last edited by NachoB; 03/05/2009 at 06:33 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    If you got such bad service then its not really about the 30. You also mentioned you have a tmobile line out of contract.

Time to stop feeding the troll