View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 24 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
    I've never had a data plan before, and all the speculation about which data plan might be mandated by Sprint for the Pre really had me concerned as to whether or not I'd end up getting the device after all.

But after doing the math comparing my existing 1400-min family plan with a 1500-min Everything Data Family Plan I find I'll only be spending $19.25/mo more (with 23% Ford discount).

Disco!

Of course...This will only be a good thing as long as Sprint doesn't do as some here have speculated - force the Simply Everything plan upon Pre owners.
    I've got an original unlimited data + unlimited SMS plan. With 300 mins, I pay $44/month including fees/tax

So, not looking to change to an 'everything' plan with my next phone. I've been using a HTC mogul, the thing is crap. My 2 years is about up. Are there any recent smartphones that I can have without switching service plans? Obviously the Pre is out. A 800w might be acceptable.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Yes I just registered. But I've been following Pre news since day one like most of you guys and reading this forum each and every day for the past month and a half. But, today, I've finally decide to give up. Here's why...

I currently have the SERO F&F 500 plan for $30 with my Sprint Touch. We all know (based on Sprint's Pre page) that we would need an Everything plan, the cheapest of which is $70 per month with 50 less minutes than what I had now. I've already inquired with multiple Sprint reps and this phone is already listed in the system as requiring an Everything plan, just like the Instinct. There will not be any ifs or buts about it. So to get the Pre I would have to get that or the employee referral plan which cuts the cost to $60 but still double my cost. That's reason # 1 for not to get the Pre. I'm only with Sprint for the SERO (I don't even get good signal at my apartment!).

So I've decided to get the Android G1. I have an expired (contractless) line with T-Mobile and they are offering me the phone for $179 with $85 for unlimited everything (voice, text and data).

There are already so many apps (wireless tethering... free app!) for the Android and a vibrant development community, much like Windows Mobile (the reason why I got the Sprint Touch). Pre will take at least a year to catch up with that. There's also the bigger keyboard with the G1 (I recently tested the keyboard on the 800w, which is about the same size as the Pre, and found it to be too small) and onscreen keyboard's already available.

In the end I am one who likes the latest gadgets, save money and tinker with my phone, and I think that Pre at launch will only fit in to one of those categories.
    I actually have the same plan and phone as you. I will not change my plan for the Pre. If indeed what you say is true, that there is no way around it, I guess I'll be looking harder at the G1 and T-Mobile as well.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Yes I just registered. But I've been following Pre news since day one like most of you guys and reading this forum each and every day for the past month and a half. But, today, I've finally decide to give up. Here's why...

I currently have the SERO F&F 500 plan for $30 with my Sprint Touch. We all know (based on Sprint's Pre page) that we would need an Everything plan, the cheapest of which is $70 per month with 50 less minutes than what I had now. I've already inquired with multiple Sprint reps and this phone is already listed in the system as requiring an Everything plan, just like the Instinct. There will not be any ifs or buts about it. So to get the Pre I would have to get that or the employee referral plan which cuts the cost to $60 but still double my cost. That's reason # 1 for not to get the Pre. I'm only with Sprint for the SERO (I don't even get good signal at my apartment!).

So I've decided to get the Android G1. I have an expired (contractless) line with T-Mobile and they are offering me the phone for $179 with $85 for unlimited everything (voice, text and data).

There are already so many apps (wireless tethering... free app!) for the Android and a vibrant development community, much like Windows Mobile (the reason why I got the Sprint Touch). Pre will take at least a year to catch up with that. There's also the bigger keyboard with the G1 (I recently tested the keyboard on the 800w, which is about the same size as the Pre, and found it to be too small) and onscreen keyboard's already available.

In the end I am one who likes the latest gadgets, save money and tinker with my phone, and I think that Pre at launch will only fit in to one of those categories.
    Why would you want to get off the SERO plan.I would do it differently. I would update the Sprint Touch to Windows Mobile 6.1 ( not sure you did that) , then I would add a AIRAVE to increase coverage ( costs 5 bucks more). And I would stay with Sprint.

You are spending 55 * 24 = 1320 dollars more for switching to T Mobile over a period of two years. Besides Touch does 90% of the things that G1 does.
    You can even hack the touch to use it as a tethered modem.

Pre is a different handset , its beautiful and functional.
    Most people buy for the looks first than functionality. If you were to check the functionality there is nothing the Pre does earth shattering that the WinMo can't ( except the multitasking).
    Who cares ???
    Maybe you don't truly care but let the guy speak on a discussion board, since he didn't flame anybody but was just stating his needs.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Well i was with him on the price. I can understand he doesn't want to double his current plan.

But then he says he'll go with the G1 at 85 a month? That kinda made his first point moot. So he has a sero plan and a tmobile plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Well i was with him on the price. I can understand he doesn't want to double his current plan.

But then he says he'll go with the G1 at 85 a month? That kinda made his first point moot. So he has a sero plan and a tmobile plan.
    Not really moot... think about it....

If you are tired of the device you are on and but want/need something else, and sprint is not allowing you to keep your plan... then what do you do? You shop around and get what you want.

Lot of us like that around here... I'm month to month with my sero... I'm waiting for SOMETHING... but if sprint kicks me out to an "everything" plan, I might as well start looking around at other carriers.

But I pay $50 so for me to jump up would not be that bad... but I'd still look at other options... I think that was the OPs point....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I pay $50 also, but for 1250 minutes. To get comparable it will be almost double as well. So for me I'm trying to find new ways to love my centro. At least until the touch2 comes out.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    I pay $50 also, but for 1250 minutes. To get comparable it will be almost double as well. So for me I'm trying to find new ways to love my centro. At least until the touch2 comes out.
    I've not looked at sprint's everything plans recently... hmm... guess I would have to double my cost as well... to get 1250 minutes... had not thought about that....

Even more reason for me to look other places...

In reality, I have a good deal, so I'll more than likely "settle" on another device or simply keep my q9c.... then again, I REALLY want a device I can drop a 16 to 32 gb card into... and gets great reception like my q9c.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Not only am I going to wait for a Pre, I am also going to show it off first to all the ham & eggers that couldn't wait.

LuLz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Who cares ???
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Maybe you don't truly care but let the guy speak on a discussion board, since he didn't flame anybody but was just stating his needs.
    You know, I'm one who doesn't believe in dissing anyone's reasons for doing things, but when I was reading the post, and noticed that it was his (or her's) first and only post, I couldn't help but wonder...why post in the first place. What did this post accomplish? I'm probably not getting the Pre for the same SERO vs SE plan reasons, but until I see it in writing from Sprint themselves, I'm not going to know for sure just because everyone else is thinking that the SE plan will be required. Then after dissing Sprint for possibly allowing him to have to get a $60 plan he says he's going with an $85 plan from someone else. Sorry Phone Diva, in most cases I would feel exactly like you do too, but in this case I have to agree with Mahootzki.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Wait so the Sprint plan that you HAVE to get with the Pre costs $70 and includes 3G and 450 minutes? Unlimited texts too?
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    Wait so the Sprint plan that you HAVE to get with the Pre costs $70 and includes 3G and 450 minutes? Unlimited texts too?
    Yes I have to get it because I am currently paying $30 for the same options + 50 more minutes. And yes you will have to get [at least] that plan with the Pre (Read the fine print on the Pre page Sprint - Palm Pre).

And I am willing to pay more to another carrier [T-Mobile] because:
    • T-Mobile actually works in apartment. Sprint loses signal and drop every other call
    • The phone is available now. Today.
    • The phone is based on Linux. I can root in to it, play with it, do what I want.
    • The phone has native applications. Plenty of them already.

Yes, the truth is Pre just looks like a cooler device. It can do multi-tasking better... but I already have easy multitasking and switching on WinMo 6.1. No live "cards", but I can switch between apps with two taps. Btw, here are things that I know are cool in the Pre (cool to me, and I am sure to you too):

• Live Cards But do you really need live cards? Ease of switch is all that matters. Android/WinMo can do that.
    • Synergy in Contacts Yes, importing Facebook contacts and pictures sounds really cool. But I had over 300 friends on FB and probably one 50 of them that I actually want in my phone's contact list. Do you want everyone in your FB on your phone?
    • Universal Search WinMo does contact search as soon as you start typing. And you can put a Google search bar on your Desktop (Android) or Today screen (WinMo).
    • Synergy in Messaging One thing I will give to the Pre, you cannot do that on Android yet. Until someone creates an app that is.

Plus, when is the Pre coming out again? Anyone? (Not flaming, just curious/pissed like you that they are not announcing)
    Last edited by haydur; 03/04/2009 at 08:31 PM.
  16. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    Yea, it would included unlimited everything except for mins....
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Plus, when is the Pre coming out again? Anyone? (Not flaming, just curious/pissed like you that they are not announcing)
    No matter how many times or ways people ask... the bottom line is no one knows for sure when this phone will release....

Go to t-mobile... good luck with the g1, I only know of one person that had one and he hated it... said it was a 1st gen device all the way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    No matter how many times or ways people ask... the bottom line is no one knows for sure when this phone will release....

Isn't that the truth!!
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts

Go to t-mobile... good luck with the g1, I only know of one person that had one and he hated it... said it was a 1st gen device all the way around.
    Well I was going to get it a long time ago, SERO and the promise of an Android device on Sprint kept me here. But the fact is, Sprint is not going to allow us old SERO customers to use any of the new upcoming smartphones, including the Pre or their first Android device.

And it already has a vibrant dev community releasing cooked firmware just like WinMo. Infact, they've already released auto-rotating screen and mult-touch.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Not really moot... think about it....

If you are tired of the device you are on and but want/need something else, and sprint is not allowing you to keep your plan... then what do you do? You shop around and get what you want.

Lot of us like that around here... I'm month to month with my sero... I'm waiting for SOMETHING... but if sprint kicks me out to an "everything" plan, I might as well start looking around at other carriers.

But I pay $50 so for me to jump up would not be that bad... but I'd still look at other options... I think that was the OPs point....
    Sprint is letting add any extra service to the SERO plan for an additional price. I know a buddy of mine got it last week. He added 10 bucks and got the GPS and TV.

IMHO, the SERO plan is lot less than the 85 bucks that T Mobile offers.

I would keep the SERO plan in this economy unless I have a compelling reason to throw extra money.

I am sure Sprint will sell extra data package for existing customers on their plans and let them buy Pre
    Last edited by gbp; 03/04/2009 at 09:16 PM.