View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 23 of 71 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
    I really don't get your rant. Were you just expecting Sprint to give you everything for $50 because they should be glad to have you? The SEP with mobile broadband is for those folks who really need anytime connections on their laptop AND they need to still make calls. No one is making you buy it - they are just offering it for the road warriors who now have it separately.

PLEASE sit down, go to both sites and then come back and show us what you can get at ATT CHEAPER. Please do this because I want to see it. I have been to ATT & VZW numerous times and I still have to pay more a month - ALWAYS.

So, either move to EUR or don't by data.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm still on AT&T and was thinking of switching to Sprint for the Pre but I don't know - someone here needs to start acting like they are actually in competition with the other carriers and attracting customers based on price. What they're charging now for stuff is so ridiculously inflated I can't believe it.>>>>

You had me til that point. It's been mentioned over and over how Sprint is much cheaper than AT&T. And yet you're on AT&T and want to whine about Sprint's plans? LOL
    agreed... if you add all the services thats included with the "everything" plans they come out cheaper than you will get pretty much anywhere else.

And personally I think the 450 min everything plan for 69.99 is a pretty decent deal (and the one im planning on moving my sero to)
    hum....where to begin.

land lines were more then this with charging for long distance and you still got nickle and dimed for....caller id, call waiting, three way calling, speed dial, private number so telemarketers dont call you, and you had to pay more for that really long cord so you could walk all over the house and talk on the phone!!!!! and forget cordless phones, all you had to do was pick one up and you could hear phone conversations from all around you, believe me my mother did it all the time.....

99 bucks for all the talking you can handle, i use my phone for work and i use a couple of thousand min a month min. i am happy for SEP its saving me a lot of money.....and i get to surf the net and text all i am forced to!!!! great deal for my money
    Not to mention Sprint Nav, Sprint TV, Sprint Radio, etc.

I think it's the best deal out there. I never have to watch my minutes or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Not to mention Sprint Nav, Sprint TV, Sprint Radio, etc.

I think it's the best deal out there. I never have to watch my minutes or anything.
    You forgot to mention better coverage + way higher data speeds vs. ATT and VZW
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    The only question is cost of tethering. I searched sprints site over..can't find a price on it. Searched web and i saw 15 a month ..last year. I also saw some saying not compatible with Everything plans.

Of course, i know you can use pdanet or similar on existing devices for free..
    Though I absolutely detest Sprint's coverage here in the Detroit area, they do have the lowest rates of the big ballers. I switched from the VERY reliable Verizon last year only because #1: I could get a better discount with them than Verizon, and #2: At the time, it didn't look like Verizon was ever going to get the Centro (wife really wanted it),

Being a Ford employee, I get a 21% discount on everything except phones and some accessories. My Verizon discount was only 13%, and applied only to the core of the service contract (minute plans). But my Sprint discount applies to sir-charges, taxes, protection plans...everything on the bill.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    I hear your frustration my man... I hear it big time. Cell plans are just way too costly. And if anybody doesn't think so it's only because they're thinking comparitively and not objectively. I mean, think about it. If you're paying $99/mo, that's nearly $1,200/yr just to talk on a stinkin' phone. That's just freakin' ludicrous, I don't care how you spin it.
    You're not paying $99 a month to talk on your phone, you're paying $99 a month to be able to talk on your phone whenever you want (within reason) and not be tethered to your landline at home, you're paying to text, to e-mail, to manage time with your calendar, to get directions, to get stock quotes and news and movie reviews whenever you want it. You're paying to communicate instantly with others when the need arises. You're paying for the ability to have 911 service in the case of an emergency.

Just how little do you want to pay for a service that costs billions of dollars to install, maintain & manage, to upgrade to provide features mentioned above (and many more)

If all you want to do is talk then there's plans out there that will accomplish that for a lot less than $99. So don't say "that's nearly $1,200/yr just to talk on a stinkin' phone" when you want to do more than "just talk".

Sheesh... Life isn't free
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    The only question is cost of tethering. I searched sprints site over..can't find a price on it. Searched web and i saw 15 a month ..last year. I also saw some saying not compatible with Everything plans.

Of course, i know you can use pdanet or similar on existing devices for free..
    I might be wrong but I believe Sprint's phone as a modem plan doesn't exist anymore and is now included in the simply everything
    I'm not sure I've been on a employee plan for like 3 years and that’s about to be over!
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Honestly after doing some more research today I think being forced into an "Everything" plan is going to be a deal breaker for me. There's no way to upgrade your current account to SERO is there? I have no wish to jump from 60/mo to 70/mo for features I have no plan on using.

That combined with the fact that my employer offers 12% off any cell phone provider except sprint is most likely going to push me away.
    sam i am-

what phone do you have and what plan are you on at what cost on AT&T?
    DeeVoc-

same question...
    phone, plan and cost at AT&T that you are trying to compare to Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    What do you get over tethering? How about using your phone while you are on the internet. Most business people who are in an airport or on the road and using mobile broadband (that is not your phone, it is on your laptop) also want to be able to make and receive calls at the same time.
    homie, I commute with guys who use aTT tethered for use with their laptop and calls at the same time on a single plan with no extra fees. You can see dozens of roadwarriers with aTT phones hooked to their laptops while they talk on them on any amtrack ride or airport lounge..

When you are saying someone cant sit in an airport and tether and talk you are talking about Sprint's technical limits with CDMA, that are not present on ATT. On ATT you don't need mobile broadband to use your laptop and talk. You can easily do it on the single account and on your handset only.

The ability to do this is not obscure or a difficult hack, it is mainstream one click software which the New York Times has featured and explained, as a has cnet and bnet and just about every roadwarrior publication.

Sprint's inabilityt to give voice and data at the same time means you have to pay extra and get a lpatop card and laptop service ifg you want to talk at teh same time as you listed in your example -- on ATT it involves no extra data card or plan since the technology for voice and data is already there..
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    homie, I commute with guys who use aTT tethered for use with their laptop and calls at the same time on a single plan with no extra fees. You can see dozens of roadwarriers with aTT phones hooked to their laptops while they talk on them on any amtrack ride or airport lounge..

When you are saying someone cant sit in an airport and tether and talk you are talking about Sprint's technical limits with CDMA, that are not present on ATT. On ATT you don't need mobile broadband to use your laptop and talk. You can easily do it on the single account and on your handset only.

The ability to do this is not obscure or a difficult hack, it is mainstream one click software which the New York Times has featured and explained, as a has cnet and bnet and just about every roadwarrior publication.

Sprint's inabilityt to give voice and data at the same time means you have to pay extra and get a lpatop card and laptop service ifg you want to talk at teh same time as you listed in your example -- on ATT it involves no extra data card or plan since the technology for voice and data is already there..
    Then really, aero, that would make Sprint's plan cost about the same as ATT's. Unlimited calls, txt and data on ATT is about $150 ($99 voice, $30 data, $20 txt) - the same price as Sprint's SEP with a laptop card. So you are not really paying "extra" at Sprint. Right? And it is not 'Sprint's technical limits' - it is CDMA's which just happens to be what the nation's #1 carrier uses too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    DeeVoc-

same question...
    phone, plan and cost at AT&T that you are trying to compare to Sprint?
    I'm on sprint (hence the question about upgrading from a normal account to SERO) with a motoq. All I need are a handful of minutes and unlimited data, what the SER offers I'm not interested in.

I was sold on the Pre until I looked into the plan it will most likely require. Through my employer I can get a G1 at a heavy discount with 12% off the monthly charge. Even w/o that offer T-mobile offers similar services to what I'm getting now on sprint (vision plan). The only difference is I won't be forced into a power user plan to use their phone.

I've been a nextel customer for 6 years and a sprint one for 1, I might try to leverage that into getting them to put me on SERO with my current number entact. However, the current feedback of those who've tried doesn't look too promising.
    Last edited by DeeVoc; 02/20/2009 at 05:06 PM.
    How much are you paying now?
    The 3rd to 5th lines don't show up as free anymore. The sero website is now correctly charging $15 per line for the extra lines...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    It'd be equivalent to having cable service at 99 a month and they come out with 60 a month plans but only if you're a new customer. I mean, if its just a temporary plan that will revert to 99 a month after a few months, then i'd have no problem. .
    Actually, all the cable companies I'm familiar with have special new-suscriber discounts. So do many other kinds of businesses. It's called marketing. And it's how companies poach from each other.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    so we can't convert existing plans? I tried and the program told me my lines were not eligible.
    Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Actually, all the cable companies I'm familiar with have special new-suscriber discounts. So do many other kinds of businesses. It's called marketing. And it's how companies poach from each other.
    Stop squishing my weak analogy..