View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 22 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
    Yep, this plan is for two devices. One being a smartphone and the other being an expresscard or usb modem that one usually uses on a laptop.

Before, it cost 99 + 59 a month. Now its 149. And costs the same as the SERO plans added together. Not real big news to be honest.

Most will want a cheaper (read free..lol) option of just tethering with the smartphone.
    If I could apply a discount to the combined plan it might be reasonable. But as it stands the pricing is way out of line with ordinary customers tolerance.

A business user or tech fiend would see the small savings and be happy, because they would have one anyway at whatever price. But a normal customer wont bite until the combines price is under $100.
    Most "ordinary" customers don't use expresscard or usb modems.

Heck, most ordinary customers won't even do the 99 unlimited phone plan.

Now they might if this data card was thrown in with the 99 dollar plan. Even then, most are ignorant about data cards IMO.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Does Sprint allow you to switch from a standard account over to one of these sero accounts? I have the 1500 family share with 2 lines and one of these new plans for 1600 minutes is cheaper.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Don't think so, here is my the response I got from sprint.

Good morning TXXXXX:
    Thank you for contacting us regarding the Sprint Employee Referral Offer.
    The SERO Program is now known as the "Everything Plus Referral Program."

You have an existing account with 4 phone lines of service.
    Your Account XXXXXXXXXX
    Account type: (Public Sector-Govt Ind - CDMA Workaround) The existing phone lines are not eligible to convert to the " Everything Signature Plans."

You can have your account type changed over to an Individual-Everything Plus Referral Program account.
    The process is done through Customer Care @ 800-639-6111.
    The existing phone numbers will not be able to be converted over nor will they be able to have the" Everything Signature Plans."

All existing discounts from the Account type: (Public Sector-Govt Ind - CDMA Workaround) will be lost due to the account type being changed.
    Your existing 4 lines will no longer have the discount.

However by converting your account over any new phone lines added to your ( Individual-Everything Plus Referral Program account ) will be on the " Everything Signature Plans."

As this is an Employee Referral Program ,in order to convert your account over you will require the following:
    To receive special savings through Everything Plus Referral Program you must be invited by a Sprint/Nextel Employee.
    Provide Customer care or the Sales department with employees full name and working email address along with the last 3 digits of their Corporate Id.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you require further assistance.

Regards

XXXX XXXXXXXXXX
    Everything Plus Team
    Everything Plus Referral Program

If anybody is successful in getting their existing non SERO accounts converted over, boy would I like to know how...
    And there you have part of the basis for sprint's perceived bad customer service.

No matter how good Sprint might be, it's just downright frustrating to be a longterm customer and be told you can't get a plan that a new user could.

It'd be equivalent to having cable service at 99 a month and they come out with 60 a month plans but only if you're a new customer. I mean, if its just a temporary plan that will revert to 99 a month after a few months, then i'd have no problem.

And hearing from Sprint that for some mystical reason (that is beyond their control) they just cannot in anyway convert your plan is just BS.

The main problem? That they even have these SERO plans..
    While I do Agree the whole Sero Thing should be thrown out. Your already playing much less with Sprint then Vzw/Att. Better to be paying 99 (SN) then 179(Vzw/Att) don't ya think. Now lets not cry cause ur getting it cheaper then most other cellular subs.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It'd be equivalent to having cable service at 99 a month and they come out with 60 a month plans but only if you're a new customer. I mean, if its just a temporary plan that will revert to 99 a month after a few months, then i'd have no problem.

The main problem? That they even have these SERO plans..
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    If I could apply a discount to the combined plan it might be reasonable. But as it stands the pricing is way out of line with ordinary customers tolerance.

A business user or tech fiend would see the small savings and be happy, because they would have one anyway at whatever price. But a normal customer wont bite until the combines price is under $100.
    you can't apply discounts? Does it include to lines or can you add a 2nd line?
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    My SE Unlimited plan plus wireless is $130 per month. Tethering is nice and all, but I can't tether and talk on the phone so it's a bit defeating of the purpose.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    it is a good deal if you need it. i wish they would have had this offer when i had 2000 min for 69.99 plus unlimited texting for 14.99 then data plan for like 29.99 THEN the wireless card for 59.99.

simply everything....is what i had
    its for a broadband card and phone not tethering your phone as modem. you can do that now with your plan for $15
    cant make calls while tethering though! So for people who need to use both at the same time this is a better deal despite the price.
    Talk about crappy options.

First you had the SERO plan - 500 minutes, unlimited text and data for like $30/mo

Then they "improved" it and gave you the same thing for $60/mo.

On the non-SERO side they have the simply everything plan for $99, and now the simply everything +mobile broadband for $150.

Gee, thanks Sprint! You mean I can pay TWICE for one service? I already have EVDO rev. A on my phone, why the hell would i pay again just to be able to use it on my laptop?

Yes, I realize the mobile broadband connection is a dedicated connection for your phone, but what advantage does it honestly offer over tethering? Assuming you tether via wifi or USB, there is not bottleneck in your connection method (unlike bluetooth) and you don't need to carry an extra card/USB adapter.

So the new plan = carry more crap and pay $50 more a month for the same thing.

No thanks.

It's amazing to me how cell phone service just gets more and more expensive and they offer less and less. It is the exact opposite of what you'd expect to see in a competitive environment. I remember paying 5 cents per sms and now all carriers charge 20 cents. Oh wait, I mean 40 cents because whoever you sent it to has to pay 20 cents to receive it. It's ridiculous.

On the service side, I remember in the late 90s when cellphones were just becoming popular plans are $30/mo. Can you find that now? Anywhere? Maybe local cell providers like cricket.

My favorite part is that overseas they have all sorts of cool features like video calling but we don't get to see them until the providers can figure out how to nickel and dime us for it. Remember SMS was invented and implemented because all of the stuff to make it possible was already there - implementing it was trivial. And now for some reason you can either send a 140 character message or have a written letter hand delivered to any doorstep in America for about the same price.

I'm still on AT&T and was thinking of switching to Sprint for the Pre but I don't know - someone here needs to start acting like they are actually in competition with the other carriers and attracting customers based on price. What they're charging now for stuff is so ridiculously inflated I can't believe it.

It will be interesting to see if they are going to pull an AT&T and require you to get the $99 simply everything plan to get the pre. Old people totally miss the boat. It's like all the early iPod competitors - they had more features but they refused to compete on price. Missing the boat...

Aaaaannnndddddd ... end rant.
    I have Sero, but even looking at the regular plans, I think Sprint plans are pretty much the best of the bunch. Maybe not by as much as others would have you believe, but still. Unless your talking about those rebranded, regional operators, with crappy phones.

If I used my data connection on a regular basis, I'd get a card. Tethering is ok for here and there, but not for everyday use. I don't think they should have a 5gb data cap on the mobile cards. That seems a bit stupid.
    Pssst...there are Simply Everything plans less than $99. Don't tell anybody.
    SMS is such a crazy cash cow. It costs the operator like nothing. What a scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am View Post
    ...I remember in the late 90s when cellphones were just becoming popular plans are $30/mo. Can you find that now? Anywhere? Maybe local cell providers like cricket....
    I hear your frustration my man... I hear it big time. Cell plans are just way too costly. And if anybody doesn't think so it's only because they're thinking comparitively and not objectively. I mean, think about it. If you're paying $99/mo, that's nearly $1,200/yr just to talk on a stinkin' phone. That's just freakin' ludicrous, I don't care how you spin it.

But one thing I distinctly remember about those plans from the 90s (the mid 90s most specifically) was that $30/mo only bought you about 40-60 minutes. So, comparitively, today's rates are really much better than they ever were back in the day.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    You've got to realize that companies like Sprint are just making up for the business they lost in landlines. They will charge what the market will bear. Not only that, but they will continue to push the envelope on pricing. Eventually they will find ways to upgrade or get rid of customers with low cost plans that are no longer under contract. Enjoy them while you have them. In a couple of years that $99 SEP will probably sound pretty good.
    I'm still on AT&T and was thinking of switching to Sprint for the Pre but I don't know - someone here needs to start acting like they are actually in competition with the other carriers and attracting customers based on price. What they're charging now for stuff is so ridiculously inflated I can't believe it.>>>>

You had me til that point. It's been mentioned over and over how Sprint is much cheaper than AT&T. And yet you're on AT&T and want to whine about Sprint's plans? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am View Post
    Gee, thanks Sprint! You mean I can pay TWICE for one service? I already have EVDO rev. A on my phone, why the hell would i pay again just to be able to use it on my laptop?

Yes, I realize the mobile broadband connection is a dedicated connection for your phone, but what advantage does it honestly offer over tethering? Assuming you tether via wifi or USB, there is not bottleneck in your connection method (unlike bluetooth) and you don't need to carry an extra card/USB adapter.
    I don't think you get it. You are not paying twice for one service with this new plan. You are paying for TWO services. There are two phone lines. One for your phone. One for your laptop card.

What do you get over tethering? How about using your phone while you are on the internet. Most business people who are in an airport or on the road and using mobile broadband (that is not your phone, it is on your laptop) also want to be able to make and receive calls at the same time.

AT&T, Verizon, Sprint - they all have dedicated broadband plans and they are all more expensive than this.

Dude, Sprint is pretty much always cheaper than AT&T or Verizon. And not by 5% or something. By a third.