View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

    9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

    48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

    2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

    44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

    13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

    14 10.77%
Page 20 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253070 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 1415
  1. #381  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    It isn't hurting Sprint if a customer keeps their service with Sprint because AT&T, for example, is so much more expensive for frankly inferior service.
    It can hurt Sprint actually. Not only just in time spent on customer support when you call up to see if your new phone is going to work with your employee referral plan etc. (not saying you do that, just generalizing), but depending on how much data you use, you add additional strain to the network when they're probably in all likelyhood making next to no profit off your account (when you figure in how much they're subsidizing your handset for, tower costs, roaming agreements, paying all the people who work for them, and so on and so forth.)

    If there's a ton of people who are probably having heavy use of the network pretty consistently since its usually more tech savvy people who have SERO in the first place, it could possibly be better for them if you go to another network rather than stay with them. I realize that if you have SERO you want to keep it for as long as humanly possible, but I'm surprised Sprint hasn't just ended that program entirely. (As in, tell everyone on it they have 3 months or whatever their legal people say, to change their plan if they want to stay with Sprint, or if not, just letting them go to another network with no termination fees or anything.)

    As for your second argument, that people will realize that things are cheaper with Sprint and switch to them because of the SERO plan... well I've got news for you, even without the SERO plan Sprint is cheaper than every competitor, even T-mobile who doesn't even have nationwide 3G.
  2. #382  
    Every other thread on Sprint Users Forums on Pre end up degrading into the Sero debate. Not just whether it will be allowed, but some anti-sero person arguing that it is loosing money for Sprint, you don't deserve it, go live under a bridge.

    If Sprint didn't make money on Sero accounts, why would they offer them to start with? Why would some executive say, let's create a plan that looses us money?

    It's plainly obvious that they don't make the margin they would on a regular user, but Sprint is bleeding customers. They need to hold on to everyone they can. If I can't keep my Sero, I'll either stick with my Centro or take a hard look at what AT&T and Apple will come up with for the next version of the iPhone. If sprint lets me keep Sero, I won't consider switching or other devices.
  3. #383  
    Is it true that those of us on the SERO plan won't be able to use our $150/2 year rebate without changing the plan?

    Anyone forced to do this?
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
  4. #384  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    If I can't keep my Sero, I'll either stick with my Centro or take a hard look at what AT&T and Apple will come up with for the next version of the iPhone. If sprint lets me keep Sero, I won't consider switching or other devices.
    If you can't keep SERO you'll go to AT&T, how does that make sense. You're not willing to pay at the least the cheapest everything data plan, but you're willing to double what you're paying now to go to AT&T.
  5. #385  
    Well here's how I think of it. Right now I'm paying like $35 out the door. Iphone plan starts at $70. Cheapest Simply Everything Data with Sprint is ... $70. Even if I missed it by a few dollars, either way I'm going to be paying roughly twice what I pay now for the same service.

    I really like Apple products in general. Right now from where I'm standing the Pre looks like a better device. But my guess is the next iPhone will have a few cool tricks up it's sleeve.

    The reason I don't have an iPhone today is because I'm not going to pay at least twice what I pay now for service.If I decide I want to spend twice as much because I can't live without the latest and greatest anyways. I will take a long hard look at both devices I will wait and see what Apple has in store, and not rush into getting a Pre on launch day.
  6. #386  
    Or I may stick with my Centro, until Sprint FORCES me off Sero. Depends on my whim, and whether Sprint eventually forces me off Sero.
  7. #387  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It can hurt Sprint actually. Not only just in time spent on customer support when you call up to see if your new phone is going to work with your employee referral plan etc. (not saying you do that, just generalizing), but depending on how much data you use, you add additional strain to the network when they're probably in all likelyhood making next to no profit off your account (when you figure in how much they're subsidizing your handset for, tower costs, roaming agreements, paying all the people who work for them, and so on and so forth.)

    If there's a ton of people who are probably having heavy use of the network pretty consistently since its usually more tech savvy people who have SERO in the first place, it could possibly be better for them if you go to another network rather than stay with them. I realize that if you have SERO you want to keep it for as long as humanly possible, but I'm surprised Sprint hasn't just ended that program entirely. (As in, tell everyone on it they have 3 months or whatever their legal people say, to change their plan if they want to stay with Sprint, or if not, just letting them go to another network with no termination fees or anything.)

    As for your second argument, that people will realize that things are cheaper with Sprint and switch to them because of the SERO plan... well I've got news for you, even without the SERO plan Sprint is cheaper than every competitor, even T-mobile who doesn't even have nationwide 3G.

    Hm. I don't know the actual economics, but let's assume Sprint isn't a bank, and thus not contentedly losing other people's money. SERO is used to bring customers in from other carriers - they got me that way. Once you're in, you're not likely to stay with the "$30" plan - few people need so few minutes. Even while on it you're going to ring up a few extra $ -- excess minutes, phone insurance, perhaps Nav. More important to Sprint is they've now won a customer who may be a heavy cell phone user and who will buy larger plans and multiple lines. That's business Sprint would never have gotten in the door otherwise.
    According to the WSJ, customer churn is a major cost for wireless carriers. That may also include the advertising and to bring business in or back. I have no doubt they have a solid $$ case for every one of those plans; given that Sprint continues to lose customers SERO is probably a bright spot for them.
  8. jagowar's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    #388  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Well here's how I think of it. Right now I'm paying like $35 out the door. Iphone plan starts at $70. Cheapest Simply Everything Data with Sprint is ... $70. Even if I missed it by a few dollars, either way I'm going to be paying roughly twice what I pay now for the same service.

    I really like Apple products in general. Right now from where I'm standing the Pre looks like a better device. But my guess is the next iPhone will have a few cool tricks up it's sleeve.

    The reason I don't have an iPhone today is because I'm not going to pay at least twice what I pay now for service.If I decide I want to spend twice as much because I can't live without the latest and greatest anyways. I will take a long hard look at both devices I will wait and see what Apple has in store, and not rush into getting a Pre on launch day.
    Just a FYI at&t's plan is significantly more if you match them service for service.... the biggest one is txt messaging. sep from sprint includes unlimited texting where to add it to an iphone plan will be an extra 20 bucks. So you would be paying significantly more if you match services (doesnt matter as much if you dont txt). We will see what apple has but I dont see them exceeding what palm has managed to do.
  9. #389  
    It costs more to get a new subscriber then it does to retain the ones you have.
  10. #390  
    I wouldn't necessarily be more likely to get an iPhone. I would have more hesitation to get anything. If they tell me I can keep my plan I wouldn't think twice about getting a Pre and renewing my contract for 2 years.

    If I'm going to be paying $70 for either ATT or Sprint, then I will hesitate to get the Pre, and wait to see what the next iPhone brings to the table. Maybe it will offer me something Pre won't.

    Once AT&T and Sprint are the same price, it's not so clear to me I should jump on a two year contract renewal.
  11. #391  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It can hurt Sprint actually. Not only just in time spent on customer support when you call up to see if your new phone is going to work with your employee referral plan etc. (not saying you do that, just generalizing), but depending on how much data you use, you add additional strain to the network when they're probably in all likelyhood making next to no profit off your account (when you figure in how much they're subsidizing your handset for, tower costs, roaming agreements, paying all the people who work for them, and so on and so forth.)

    If there's a ton of people who are probably having heavy use of the network pretty consistently since its usually more tech savvy people who have SERO in the first place, it could possibly be better for them if you go to another network rather than stay with them. I realize that if you have SERO you want to keep it for as long as humanly possible, but I'm surprised Sprint hasn't just ended that program entirely. (As in, tell everyone on it they have 3 months or whatever their legal people say, to change their plan if they want to stay with Sprint, or if not, just letting them go to another network with no termination fees or anything.)

    As for your second argument, that people will realize that things are cheaper with Sprint and switch to them because of the SERO plan... well I've got news for you, even without the SERO plan Sprint is cheaper than every competitor, even T-mobile who doesn't even have nationwide 3G.

    I disagree. We are talking about 500 anytime minutes and free nights and weekends. Every customer gets free nights and weekends anyway. Text is virtually no cost to them. Data may be used heavily by some, but not by all. Is the data really costing them any more if the SERO user is using available bandwidth that Sprint may have? I am sure they make money from overage fees from some SERO users as well as any add-ons, TEP, ring tones, etc. Plus, take into consideration of the people that may signup with Sprint becasue all of their friends/family may be on Sprint (including some of those SERO customers). The only thing that is hurting Sprint is the customers they dont have as well as the customers that they lose. There is no argument that they are not making killer money on Sero plans, but they are not losing money. There was a reason they had SERO. That reason was not to lose money on every new customer for every month as long as they had this SERO plan. Contrary to some people's beliefs, they DID intend for anyone to be able to sign-up. Alot of employees bent over backwards to signup SERO users. There was Sprint employees that asked for employees email address when signing up and if they didnt have one, the Sprint employee put the generic one in. They used it to pull customers in the door. So I guess all the SERO users that left other networks for the sole reason on the SERO plan should now get spit in the face and terminated with a couple months notice? Get real. If I leave Sprint tomorrow, there expenses are still the same, but there revenue will be down by $127 for my three Sero lines with add-ons. But if I am here tomorrow, there expenses are still the same and they have the additional $127 revenue. You may disagree, but this is how I see it.

    EDIT: I also dont think they should force me to pay more for the same plan with a different name and price tag to use the Pre. I would be willing to pay more for the Pre to keep the SERO paln. However, if they make you drop SERO, I will just pass on the Pre and keep my 755p on SERO.
  12. #392  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Every other thread on Sprint Users Forums on Pre end up degrading into the Sero debate. Not just whether it will be allowed, but some anti-sero person arguing that it is loosing money for Sprint, you don't deserve it, go live under a bridge.

    I really like Apple products in general. Right now from where I'm standing the Pre looks like a better device. But my guess is the next iPhone will have a few cool tricks up it's sleeve.

    The reason I don't have an iPhone today is because I'm not going to pay at least twice what I pay now for service.If I decide I want to spend twice as much because I can't live without the latest and greatest anyways. I will take a long hard look at both devices I will wait and see what Apple has in store, and not rush into getting a Pre on launch day.
    I'm not anti-SERO, I just don't think you're looking at the economics of the situation. Sprint isn't doing very well financially. It makes sense for them to force users to change plans to something that makes a higher profit, which is exactly what they (might) be doing.

    You're sort of trying to argue both ways here, saying that if Sprint wasn't making enough money then they'd get rid of people who are on it, but then you say that if Sprint tries to force you to change plans because they're not making enough money from it, you'll do everything you can to keep it.
  13. #393  
    Does anyone know if Sprint will give additional discounts to customers on the Everything Plus Plan if their employer has a discount, or is the Everything Plus plan the max allowed discount ? I have a current 23% discount through my employer and wonder if I switch to the Everything Plus, can I still get the 23% on top of it ?
  14. #394  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm not anti-SERO, I just don't think you're looking at the economics of the situation. Sprint isn't doing very well financially. It makes sense for them to force users to change plans to something that makes a higher profit, which is exactly what they (might) be doing.

    You're sort of trying to argue both ways here, saying that if Sprint wasn't making enough money then they'd get rid of people who are on it, but then you say that if Sprint tries to force you to change plans because they're not making enough money from it, you'll do everything you can to keep it.
    No, no, I'm saying if they LOST money of it, rather then at least making a few bucks, they would have never created the plan to start with. Sprint isn't stupid. Most of the cost for Sprint is fixed anyways. They have to pay the same amount to lease the tower in the neighborhood whether or not I'm a customer.

    So they are probably at least making something from me. I buy an occasional app from them, and some extras now and then to sweeten the deal.

    If they force me to pay for a plan that's the same price as the competition, Then their is a 50/50 chance I will see something interesting somewhere else and go there. That's $30 less a month for them, and the same for all the SERO family members I signed up.

    Bleeding customers doesn't look good to the stock holders. Sure ideally they'd like to get me to pay more and not loose me as a customer, but if they kick me off my plan, they are taking a gamble.
  15. #395  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexx View Post
    Does anyone know if Sprint will give additional discounts to customers on the Everything Plus Plan if their employer has a discount, or is the Everything Plus plan the max allowed discount ? I have a current 23% discount through my employer and wonder if I switch to the Everything Plus, can I still get the 23% on top of it ?
    From what I've heard, it seems to vary depending on their mood. I do know they aren't allowing the discounts on the $99 everything plan. Well that's the general consensus. An odd ball here and there claims they got it.
  16. #396  
    Quote Originally Posted by compneo View Post
    So I guess all the SERO users that left other networks for the sole reason on the SERO plan should now get spit in the face and terminated with a couple months notice? Get real. If I leave Sprint tomorrow, there expenses are still the same, but there revenue will be down by $127 for my three Sero lines with add-ons. But if I am here tomorrow, there expenses are still the same and they have the additional $127 revenue. You may disagree, but this is how I see it.
    First of all, I hate to say it, but Sprint has absolutely no obligation to you... at the very least, not more than they have to their shareholders. But secondly, you're making the assumption that every single SERO plan would be gone. And I think once those customers get past the anger of it all if it was to happen to you, then they'd realize that Sprint's plans are still cheaper than the competition and quite a number of them would stick around. Someone mentioned the iPhone cheapest plan also being $70 but iPhone's $70 plan doesn't include GPS, texting, and their nights and weekends only start at 9pm and only last until 6am.

    Maybe my statement that Sprint should do definitely it was a little strong, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised either. The question would be whether they wanted to take that risk or not, but for every customer who switches from SERO to even the cheapest Everything Data plan, that's one other SERO customer that they can afford to lose.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 02/13/2009 at 09:04 PM.
  17. #397  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    First of all, I hate to say it, but Sprint has absolutely no obligation to you... at the very least, not more than they have to their shareholders. But secondly, you're making the assumption that every single SERO plan would be gone. And I think once those customers get past the anger of it all if it was to happen to you, then they'd realize that Sprint's plans are still cheaper than the competition and quite a number of them would stick around. Someone mentioned the iPhone cheapest plan also being $70 but iPhone's $70 plan doesn't include GPS, texting, and their nights and weekends only start at 9pm and only last until 6am.

    Maybe my statement that Sprint should do definitely it was a little strong, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised either. The question would be whether they wanted to take that risk or not, but for every customer who switches from SERO to even the cheapest Everything Data plan, that's one other SERO customer that they can afford to lose.
    Well I am under contract for what its worth, but if they want to change my price, then I hate to say it but I have no obligation to stay with them. It is not anger of any sort, but I had Sprint around 10 years ago, and the service was garbage and I had billing problems every single bill. I left them and I was currently at T-Mobile on pretty good plans, but the SERO with EVDO made me pull the trigger to switch back to sprint and give them a shot. My sister has a T-Mobile plan with about 2500 extra minutes a month that I could easily put three phones on for 9.99 per line. So there is no anger here. Also, I am not interested in the iPhone so I could care less about the plans AT&T require.

    My point is that they made the plan for a reason and they are making money off of it. It is no different to all the grandfathered plans they have. If Sprint wants to kick off all SERO users, fine with me. They just better be ready to sign up a whole lot of Everything Data plans. It will hurt them more than keeping us and that is why we are still here. The only thing they will do is try to force upgrades for some newer high-end phone. They know we will be a Sprint customer as long as we have SERO. I may be just a little SERO user, but they have gained many customers from me.

    Another point I want to mention, and this is not necessarily directed towards you. It seems there is more anger/jealousy from the long term loyal Sprint customer that could not get SERO because they were existing customers and they would have to jump through hoops to get it. Add the customers who didnt know about SERO, or came to Sprint late. That is the majority of angry customers when it comes to SERO. In my opinion more so than the SERO customers "afraid" of loosing their accounts.
  18. #398  
    Quote Originally Posted by compneo View Post
    Well I am under contract for what its worth, but if they want to change my price, then I hate to say it but I have no obligation to stay with them.
    Oh, definitely agree there, which is why any change they made would have to free people from their contracts. Though out of curiosity, wouldn't you have to pay an extra fee to get data on that extra line if you added yourself to your sister's T-Mobile plan? And then maybe another extra fee for texting? And I was just using the iPhone plan as an example. I'll admit that I don't know much about the family plans, but for individual plans with data and texting, which I assume most of us on here want/need, Sprint's Everything plans are all much cheaper than the other carriers.

    Quote Originally Posted by compneo View Post
    Another point I want to mention, and this is not necessarily directed towards you. It seems there is more anger/jealousy from the long term loyal Sprint customer that could not get SERO because they were existing customers and they would have to jump through hoops to get it. Add the customers who didnt know about SERO, or came to Sprint late. That is the majority of angry customers when it comes to SERO. In my opinion more so than the SERO customers "afraid" of loosing their accounts.
    I agree here too mostly. I mean, yes, I did try to get onto SERO and because I was an existing customer Sprint wouldn't let me. However, I'm bitter towards Sprint because of that, not any of the customers who are on SERO. The way I see it, if you're saving money then good for you, but at the same time I'm also very happy with my plan and service and don't want Sprint to go under either. They're on very shaky financial ground, and it just wouldn't surprise me if at some point they did have to be a little more forceful in getting people off of the SERO plans.
  19. #399  
    Her plan has unlimited text and data (but on EDGE) on all lines including add-ons. That is a grandfather plan she is on since they were VoiceStream i believe. I prefer to have SERO over the T-mobile option due to the EVDO, palm phone options, and all the people on Sprint I know that I converted to Sprint. I do think it was crappy that existing customers cound not get SERO. Personally, I would have ported numbers out and back into new SERO accounts. I understand most people would not want to deal with that though.

    Believe me, I dont want them to go belly up either. I want them to thrive so I can keep my SERO plan.
  20. #400  
    the everything 450 plan is soo great for those people who loves to check email and go online all day long..

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions