View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868 ... LastLast
    In regard to the topic of which kind of customers are most valuable to Sprint (high-payers vs. long-loyal folks with cheap plans), may I offer an observation?

When my 700p died, I had to visit two customer service centers (to get a new 755p), and I overheard them dealing face-to-face with a long line of other customers. I was amazed at the number of customers who basically couldn't pay their bills and were negotiating partial or delayed payments and such. I don't think these were recession or job-loss crises, just people who ran up extra minutes or messages or other charges that they couldn't afford, and some seemed to be customers who did that regularly. Since I saw these customers having face-to-face conversations with Sprint, I assume that there are many more like them that deal with Sprint customer service by phone. I formed the impression that these were customers that Sprint might not mind losing.

Contrast these to customers whose bills are paid automatically in full each month. Perhaps a customer who has a low-price plan and actually pays (without adding to Sprint's customer service costs, either in-person or by phone) is better than a customer who runs up a high monthly bill but also adds to operating costs.

I think I am probably a very low-added-cost customer for Sprint, and each time I do have occasion to talk to a rep, they wind up offering me an even more attractive pricing deal. I can't imagine that I would give up the plan I have for any new device, and my impression (from Sprint's previous actions on my account) is that they are glad to have me and want me to keep my plan with whatever device I might use with them.

For what it's worth, I have a 755p and my wife's Centro on a plan with 1000 shared minutes, 250 bonus minutes per line (we never use all those minutes), unlimited Vision, roaming included, free nights & weekends, equipment protection, and a number of other features I don't think we use. It costs ~$73/month including all of the taxes and fees. That might be higher than some others pay, but it is a fine plan/pricing for me.

I have not decided whether the Pre (no matter how cute the device and UI are) is better for me than a 755p -- have to see more details about the device and available software. But I really don't think I would want to pay for a more expensive plan, and I would be more inclined to pay more up front for the hardware. I think my contract is up and that I should be eligible for renewal discounts, so I will be looking closely at the Pre after it is actually released and after all of the excitement calms a bit.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Well you see... Palm isn't stupid either. They weren't just going to just come out with a product that would easily be trumped in a year's time. The key is webOS, which, from the little that I understand of OS's, can't just be copied feature for feature in the iphone. If it was easy to modify an OS, Garnet would have been gone a long time ago.

I won't say the Pre is the ultimate phone that no one will ever be able to beat. Sure the iphone 2 could possibly be really great, but it is most definitely not an assumption of mine that I'd think the iphone2 will automatically be better than the Pre. There's just simply no information on it.
    WHAT IF APPLE RELEASES TWO MODELS OF IPHONE2 (ONE WITH SLIDING KEYBOARD AND ONE WITHOUT AND WITH SOFTWARE ENHANCEMENTS. But please make the keyboard in a sliding portrait mode or like a BB Bold; then we could see sparks really fly if APPLE were that BOLD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    In regard to the topic of which kind of customers are most valuable to Sprint (high-payers vs. long-loyal folks with cheap plans), may I offer an observation?

When my 700p died, I had to visit two customer service centers (to get a new 755p), and I overheard them dealing face-to-face with a long line of other customers. I was amazed at the number of customers who basically couldn't pay their bills and were negotiating partial or delayed payments and such. I don't think these were recession or job-loss crises, just people who ran up extra minutes or messages or other charges that they couldn't afford, and some seemed to be customers who did that regularly. Since I saw these customers having face-to-face conversations with Sprint, I assume that there are many more like them that deal with Sprint customer service by phone. I formed the impression that these were customers that Sprint might not mind losing.

Contrast these to customers whose bills are paid automatically in full each month. Perhaps a customer who has a low-price plan and actually pays (without adding to Sprint's customer service costs, either in-person or by phone) is better than a customer who runs up a high monthly bill but also adds to operating costs.

I think I am probably a very low-added-cost customer for Sprint, and each time I do have occasion to talk to a rep, they wind up offering me an even more attractive pricing deal. I can't imagine that I would give up the plan I have for any new device, and my impression (from Sprint's previous actions on my account) is that they are glad to have me and want me to keep my plan with whatever device I might use with them.

For what it's worth, I have a 755p and my wife's Centro on a plan with 1000 shared minutes, 250 bonus minutes per line (we never use all those minutes), unlimited Vision, roaming included, free nights & weekends, equipment protection, and a number of other features I don't think we use. It costs ~$73/month including all of the taxes and fees. That might be higher than some others pay, but it is a fine plan/pricing for me.

I have not decided whether the Pre (no matter how cute the device and UI are) is better for me than a 755p -- have to see more details about the device and available software. But I really don't think I would want to pay for a more expensive plan, and I would be more inclined to pay more up front for the hardware. I think my contract is up and that I should be eligible for renewal discounts, so I will be looking closely at the Pre after it is actually released and after all of the excitement calms a bit.

Dr. J, DITTO
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    < < Edited by Dieter > >

How about a little more Pooh and a little less Darth :?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    I suppose me leaving these forums would probably be best than.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Oh come on! Lighten up. The Pre stress is running pretty high. I actually cracked myself up with my comment. Hopefully you can laugh a little too.

I have to walk away to collect myself at times also.

Its tough when all we have is speculation. I'm hopeful that we get some hard info from MWC next week.

Hang in there DP! EGBOK (Its going to be OK)
    Tom
    Discussion and dialogue are good! Stay in Pooh
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    WHAT IF APPLE RELEASES TWO MODELS OF IPHONE2 (ONE WITH SLIDING KEYBOARD AND ONE WITHOUT AND WITH SOFTWARE ENHANCEMENTS. But please make the keyboard in a sliding portrait mode or like a BB Bold; then we could see sparks really fly if APPLE were that BOLD?
    I'm assuming you meant the caps as emphasis and not yelling.

But your examples are all just what ifs. Ok. What if. Then that would be interesting to see. Keyboard, cool. Software, well... depends on what kind of software enhancements your talking about. I really don't know how you expect some what ifs to change my mind to being 100% now sure that the iphone2 is going to just automatically blow the Pre away. There really is no judgement to be made until there is at least some kind of inkling of what Apple plans on doing with it.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Alright. The truth is that the only reason I use sprint is because of the SERO plan. Me and my wife both have fair and flexable sero plans and centros. I use my mostly for business and she uses hers mostly for fun. I've had the plan for over a year and I expect when I call sprint after the Pre launch I will be considered a "premier" Sprint customer and can upgrade from my Centro to Pre under the same plan, pay for the extra two years and pay the 159/179/199 price for the phones. If I have to pay a little more for the Pre, so be it. I couldnt afford to upgrade if I had to switch plans. Right now I have a 1250 F&F plan for me and a 300 F&F for my wife with all the other bells and whistles you can add for about 120 bucks a month. If I had to switch to the SE plan This would jump up to 100 bucks for me and leave my wife at about 40 to 50 bucks a month. Not to big a deal but I love the contract I'm on now.

I have to hve the Pre. Thats just me but it would still be a great deal vs. the iPhone and AT&T plan and IMHO a better phone from what I have seen.

HAving the SE plan is not a deal breaker for me but I would have a ton of loyalty if I could just upgrade the phone for a one time price.

My two cents...
    looks like it will require the plan

Sprint - Palm Pre

"requires activation on everything plan with data"
    Right now I have a 1250 F&F plan for me and a 300 F&F for my wife with all the other bells and whistles you can add for about 120 bucks a month. If I had to switch to the SE plan This would jump up to 100 bucks for me and leave my wife at about 40 to 50 bucks a month
    Their page only says an everything data plan required, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be the SPE plan. I have an everything data share plan for 129.00 with 3 lines and 1500 mins, I pay an extra 15 for the 3rd line so 144 a month. I was able to get the instinct on that plan without any hassles, kind of regretted trading in my 650 for it now, but I'm definitely getting the Pre as soon as it's out.
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead47 View Post
    Alright. The truth is that the only reason I use sprint is because of the SERO plan. Me and my wife both have fair and flexable sero plans and centros.

Right now I have a 1250 F&F plan for me and a 300 F&F for my wife with all the other bells and whistles you can add for about 120 bucks a month.
    If you two had SERO, you can be on the 1250, but the lower SERO is 500 minutes not 300. I was thinking you just thought wrong about it, but the 1250 plus the 500 SERO plans on Sprint, with all the bells and whistles, as you say would only be $79.98 per month for both. So I think you're mistaking SERO with the old fair & flexible plans for the SERO.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead47 View Post
    Alright. The truth is that the only reason I use sprint is because of the SERO plan. Me and my wife both have fair and flexable sero plans and centros. I use my mostly for business and she uses hers mostly for fun. I've had the plan for over a year and I expect when I call sprint after the Pre launch I will be considered a "premier" Sprint customer and can upgrade from my Centro to Pre under the same plan, pay for the extra two years and pay the 159/179/199 price for the phones. If I have to pay a little more for the Pre, so be it. I couldnt afford to upgrade if I had to switch plans. Right now I have a 1250 F&F plan for me and a 300 F&F for my wife with all the other bells and whistles you can add for about 120 bucks a month. If I had to switch to the SE plan This would jump up to 100 bucks for me and leave my wife at about 40 to 50 bucks a month. Not to big a deal but I love the contract I'm on now.

I have to hve the Pre. Thats just me but it would still be a great deal vs. the iPhone and AT&T plan and IMHO a better phone from what I have seen.

HAving the SE plan is not a deal breaker for me but I would have a ton of loyalty if I could just upgrade the phone for a one time price.

My two cents...
    A SE data family plan with 1500 min/month on two lines is $130/month. Not much more if you can share the minutes. Not sure if your company pays your bill.
    Wow. You guys are quick and acurate. I do have the F&F 500 Sero plan and the SE plan that dave mentioned would still be a great price. I priced an iPhone with AT&T and it was out of this world compared to Sprint...

Thanks for your replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    I'm assuming you meant the caps as emphasis and not yelling.

But your examples are all just what ifs. Ok. What if. Then that would be interesting to see. Keyboard, cool. Software, well... depends on what kind of software enhancements your talking about. I really don't know how you expect some what ifs to change my mind to being 100% now sure that the iphone2 is going to just automatically blow the Pre away. There really is no judgement to be made until there is at least some kind of inkling of what Apple plans on doing with it.
    BOLD was for emphasis, software enhancements; (cut and paste) Of course wealth of software is nice with apple. Hopefully we will see software soon for the Pre! And of course Iphone does not have replaceable battery. I was glad that Mr. Ed indicated or mentioned "Epocrates" in his statements as I am in the Medical Field and I need the Drug program on release. Thought I may have to have two devices for a small time frame.

One thing I am concerned about is that I want to be able to synch my "Outlook" addresses with my desktop, the web and my phone. It's at the desktop where I do most of the pulling of addresses to put in letters ect. Thanks for your comments
    Sprint - Palm Pre

If you look at the just released Sprint web site for the Pre and then read the fine print at the bottom it says...REQUIRES SIMPLY EVERYTHING PLAN WITH DATA.

Just as I expected...and that is why I did not get excited about the Pre's release with my $40/1000 min a month retention plan.

Cest la vie.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Everything Data with 450 minutes is what I'm hoping for.

It is $69.99.
    Tom
    It says "Requires Everything Plan with Data", not Simply Everything Plan. That implies that the Everything Data 450 and the Everything Data 900 plans should also work.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Seems it also says the cost of data without the plan.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It says "Requires Everything Plan with Data", not Simply Everything Plan. That implies that the Everything Data 450 and the Everything Data 900 plans should also work.
    thats what i was expecting and thats whats been confirmed (atleast maybe). i have no problem going to the 450 min plan.... sure my current sero plan is better but the 450 min plan isnt horrible (especially compared to at&t's iphone ripoff which is what i was going to go with until i saw the pre)