View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 16 of 71 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212666 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    You left out more than text messaging. You also left out voice minutes. What is your base plan that you add that $30 worth of data to? Your last post mentions a $69 plan. Is that voice and texts, or does that include your data?

Almost anyone under the age of 25 will use way more than 200 texts a month. And many young people use their cell phone as their only phone, which makes exceeding 450 minutes entirely possible.

But, given your 450 minute talk-time standard, Sprint has a Simply Everything Data plan, for $69.99:

-450 minutes, no roaming charges, free nights and weekends
    -unlimited texting, including MMS
    -unlimited data, including GPS navigation and a bunch of things I don't care about like BIS, TV, and more.

Pretty comparable to your plan, but with more features for a lower price ($74 for your plan, including only 200 texts). Hard to say Sprint is too expensive.
    Not only that, for the 99 we also get Sprint TV and Navigation...oh that's right, no navigation on the iPhone...yet... Not sure about other phones, but is Navigation covered under the unlimited data plan or is just not available from AT&T ?

Either way... in order to compare apples to apples, we have to compare what we get with Sprint for 99 dollars (EVERYTHING unlimited) to what you'd have to pay on AT&T for everything unlimited. I do around 2000 text messages a month, so that measly 200 that were mentioned earlier won't cut it at all! I also use my phone for business, so forget about the 450 minutes!

Either way you cut it, the 99 dollar plan from Sprint is the best in the business.
    But, given your 450 minute talk-time standard, Sprint has a Simply Everything Data plan, for $69.99:

-450 minutes, no roaming charges, free nights and weekends
    -unlimited texting, including MMS
    -unlimited data, including GPS navigation and a bunch of things I don't care about like BIS, TV, and more.

Pretty comparable to your plan, but with more features for a lower price ($74 for your plan, including only 200 texts). Hard to say Sprint is too expensive.
    ^---This is correct and to me if you are going to price the Pre at a 199 level to compete with the Iphone you are going to have to price your plans to compete with the iphone... therefore making the Everything data plan more appealing...

Also don't forget that sprint in thier marketing these days is trying to show the value in thier plans again making cheaper plans more appealing..
    Quote Originally Posted by bender29 View Post
    It really sounds like all the pricing hasn't been worked out yet and there are ongoing negotiations between sprint and palm.

But I can't give up my SERO plan for this device, but I would try every backdoor way to get it

That said, I don't think I'd jump ship from Sprint even w/o SERO. Got sick of Verizon crippling phones and their high plans. Tmobile is a non-option. Neutral on at&t - dont care for iphone.

Sprint's network is just fine for my usage and area. As for poor CSR, I've only called in once (to port my number), and never again. And, if I ever needed to, there's always sprint ecare.
    i will pay whatever for the phone if sprint will only let me keep my sero plan!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
    SERO is more important than the new device.
    Sprint has got to be smart enough to realize that some of there best customers, are on the SERO plan. Isn't the purpose of the Pre to save Sprint & Palm from being second fiddle to at&t, verizon, apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by samadam View Post
    Yes, this is the big question everyone has, but it would be much better for you to just search the forum:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175356
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bender29 View Post
    It really sounds like all the pricing hasn't been worked out yet and there are ongoing negotiations between sprint and palm.

But I can't give up my SERO plan for this device, but I would try every backdoor way to get it

That said, I don't think I'd jump ship from Sprint even w/o SERO. Got sick of Verizon crippling phones and their high plans. Tmobile is a non-option. Neutral on at&t - dont care for iphone.

Sprint's network is just fine for my usage and area. As for poor CSR, I've only called in once (to port my number), and never again. And, if I ever needed to, there's always sprint ecare.
    ive been with about all the carriers, my least favorite being us cellular, and sprint is definitely my favorite. well, verizon is close if not tied- i like being a customer of sprint but if i had to work at either one i would go verizon all the way.

sprint just has an awesome data network with pricing and unlimited plans to go with. they cant be beat right now.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turnitblue23 View Post
    Sprint has got to be smart enough to realize that some of there best customers, are on the SERO plan. Isn't the purpose of the Pre to save Sprint & Palm from being second fiddle to at&t, verizon, apple.
    their best customers? how is paying less for more features than "regular" people who have to pay more for less features better for sprint? i would think their best customers to be the ones that pay more!
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Based on this image, seeing that the Pro does not require an SE plan (regarding the rebate), hopefully that's good news that the Pre won't as well.
    The Pre has followed exactly the same pattern as the instinct where Everything plan was required. That is the entire point.

The thread title is misleading because it is based on already debunked assertions, everything points to plan requirements
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    So let me get this straight, please help me here. I have been with Sprint since 1998. I have a plan thru retentions that is Fair * flexable for families plan of 2200 mins shares on 5 lines. THe deal I have is unlimited Data (ultimate Power vision) & unlimited Text on all fice lines for free, for life! So I pay $109.00 plus $9.99 X 3 lines (2 are free) so my total fee before my company disc is $149.99, then a $20.00 discount on top of that. I curently have two Treo 755 on that plan and three centros for the kids.

So what yall are saying is to get the Palm Pre I am going to have to give up my plan? I dont understan I already have unlimited date and text, so will I qualify? If not can retentions make me a deal since I am a Premier Custmor since 1998?

Anyone know if I have to give up this plan?

THanks
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    So does anyone have any insight on whether my plan will still work for the Pre,since I have unlimited data and text already right now? or do I have to move ta a simple everything Data plan with 1500 mins?

Basicaly right now I have thru my plan what amounts to a simple everything data and 2200 mins (it is just called another name), If they foce me to a Simply everything data plan at 1500 mins I lose 700 mins it cost me $80.00 more and I am not allowed to use my company disc of 20%. Si If force to move this will cost me $100 a month or $1200 a year, no phone is worth $1200 a year, imo.

If anyone has a answer or a Idea how to get around this please let me know. If this is the case I am thinking of being proactive and calling Sprint retentions next week and trying to get them to code if possable my Line and my wifes as everything Data family and keep my mins plan as the old fair & flexable to see if that will allow me to add the Pre. I don't know how my plan is coded now but I basicly get ultimate powervision (unlimited data /everything) and unlimited Text for free anyway). T

THanks
    I think the only honest answer at this point is that no one outside of Sprint (and maybe inside) knows for sure. There's been a lot of speculation, but in spite of the level of certainty of some posters here, Sprint hasn't said what they're going to offer.

Many point to the Instinct as the model Palm follows, and say the instinct requires an Everything plan. But that's not true. It requires either an Everything plan or another plan with a data pack add-on, and there are people here who report having Instincts on fair & flexible plans.

My guess, and it's nothing more, is that an Everything plan will not be required to use the Pre, but MIGHT be required to qualify for the rebate offered to upgraders and new customers.

To find out for sure, though, we're all just going to have to wait and see what Sprint does.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Thanks,

I do have a manager contact in Business plans / retention I have worked with in the past . Today I will give him a call and see what I can find out concerning whether I will have to make a change or if there is some Spring special thing he can do in the future to help me add the Pre to my plan. I will let you know what I find out.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Anyone have any insight on if I will lose my plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    Anyone have any insight on if I will lose my plan?
    Did you read any of the thread before this post? Maybe even the post two above yours?

The simple answer is no. Right now there's nothing but speculation. Sprint hasn't made public what, if any, plan restrictions there will be. But you'll definitely want a plan with unlimited data.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Did you read any of the thread before this post? Maybe even the post two above yours?
    Sorry tj, but I just had to wonder the exact same thing.

I don't know why we all don't just wait until something official comes out because no advise that you get otherwise can be counted on.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Sorry Your right I will just have to wait and see. I just hate the thought of having to chose between giving up my plan or buying a Palm Pre. The cost I figure would be about $100 a month or $1200 a year. One thing about the everything Data plans at 1500 min. or 3000 min. is that I also cannot use my Company Discount, that also hurts, so to make the switch is about $100 a month more for my 5 lines. Where as would I have right now is a Everything data with 2200mins, and I do not need the extra 800mins, a new phone and a extra 800mins is not worth a extra $100 a month IMO. Yall are right, I will wait and see and hope and pray I don't have to make that choice. I want the Pre more than anything, but in this economy at this time I do not think I could justify the extra $1200 a year for any phone.

Thanks again,

TJ
    I'm almost 100% sure that you won't be required to have SEP to have the Pre. I'm also 100% sure that you will need SOME sort of data plan to activate the phone though.

Now you may not get upgrade pricing if your plan is a grandfather plan. I'm a HEAVY data and voice user. So SEP works wonderfully for me. It is well worth the 100$'s I pay a month for it.

I just don't see it being realistic for Sprint to require everyone to have SEP. SEP is not right for everyone. That would be a deal breaker for many.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Thanks Pedro,

I am also a heavy Data User, thats why I already have unlimited Data andText, just don't need to add anymore Cell mins. I am happy with what I have,to keep what I have I am willing to pay full price for the phone as long as they don't make me lose my current plan. So here is hoping you are rught.

TJ
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
  19. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enter260 View Post
    their best customers? how is paying less for more features than "regular" people who have to pay more for less features better for sprint? i would think their best customers to be the ones that pay more!
    Depends on how you measure "best"--highest-revenue, most-loyal (which would be plenty of people paying less), or some other thing...

Which would you rather have--a high-paying customer who doesn't stick around, or a low-payer who stays for years? Kind of like offering a lottery winner the choice of lump-sum vs. annual payment--even though the lump sum amount is much more than one year's annual, the annual payments over time total much, much more than the lump sum.
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    So what yall are saying is to get the Palm Pre I am going to have to give up my plan? I dont understan I already have unlimited date and text, so will I qualify? If not can retentions make me a deal since I am a Premier Custmor since 1998?
    If you tried to get an Instinct on that plan you would run into resistance. Sprint has indicated they plan to do the same as they did with instinct which means under normal circumstances you would not be able to activate a Pre.

You may be able to do something with retentions as a small group of people were able to do with Instinct. but the plan is to require SEP