View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 15 of 71 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202565 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    from that article it looks like 4G will not be available for the Pre when it comes out...
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Chatted with SPrint people last night, they have the answer for people with a Family plan with Data. I currently have 4 phone with 2 on a Data plan (755p) and two other phones plus $20 for unlimited texting for all my phones. My current plan is no longer offered, I think it is called Vision Data, $15 each for data. The new plan with Pre, they would get rid of my $15 and replace it with either the $25 or $30 plan depending if I wanted all the SprintTV and some Active Sync for the more plan.

So for me it will cost roughly $10 more per phone or in my case it will be $20 to get 2 new Palm Pre's and still stay on my current plan. Can't wait until my contract is up in May.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmglouis View Post
    So, I'm considering getting the Pre, but only when I'm up for the 22 month upgrade thing which is July for me. However, I'm on a family plan (from like two years ago, so its not listed on sprint at all now).

I was wondering if I'll be eligible to get it if i buy an unlimited data pack add-on to my current plan. Which would be way better than shelling out an extra 100 bucks a month.

Or do I have to get two individual plans? Like one basic and one everything data?

thanks,
    Gerard

Though I can't say for sure, I'm reasonably certain Sprint won't modify your existing plan. They'll allow you to keep it. But if you want to modify, they'll want to move you to one of their new plans. You'd have to check with CS, or better yet, Retentions.
    It's going to be a tough choice if I have to change to a SE plan from my great SERO plan.

For me Sprint has been great. At least I have a few months to think about if it's worth while to pay up.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrad425 View Post
    Chatted with SPrint people last night, they have the answer for people with a Family plan with Data. I currently have 4 phone with 2 on a Data plan (755p) and two other phones plus $20 for unlimited texting for all my phones. My current plan is no longer offered, I think it is called Vision Data, $15 each for data. The new plan with Pre, they would get rid of my $15 and replace it with either the $25 or $30 plan depending if I wanted all the SprintTV and some Active Sync for the more plan.

So for me it will cost roughly $10 more per phone or in my case it will be $20 to get 2 new Palm Pre's and still stay on my current plan. Can't wait until my contract is up in May.
    So the pre plan might be 25-30 a month? That doesn't sound bad.
    Based on this image, seeing that the Pro does not require an SE plan (regarding the rebate), hopefully that's good news that the Pre won't as well.

http://www.treocentral.com/images/ad...1232619712.gif
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Just a word of warning for those thinking of grabbing the Palm Pre when it ships...
    Since late 2008, all PDAs activated on Sprint must be tied to a Simply Everything plan. The folks at dan@sprint.com told me there are no ifs, ands or buts on this one, so unless they do something different with the Pre, you'll have to get Simply Everything or Sprint's backend systems simply won't allow the phone to be activated. If you activated a PDA before that time, you're grandfathered.

I activated a used HTC Diamond in November under a pre-existing plan with a $15 data pack add-on. Today, I was told that I had somehow fallen through the cracks because of a glitch in the system and any PDA activation from this point forward would trigger the Simply Everything restriction.

I suppose if your contract is up for renewal and you whine and threaten to leave, they may put you on a retention plan. However, I understand the idea of retention incentives may be nearly extinct.

I've heard rumors that the Pre won't require Simply Everything, but given the phase-out of data packs for the currently available PDAs, I doubt they'll reverse course.

I have tried to squeeze out information about Pre data plans, but the folks at dan@sprint.com insist they have no knowledge of what plans will be compatible with the phone. If anyone has any inside info, please come forward.
    Me thinks it will be a case by case thing. The official line will be a Sprint Everything plan. Some may get lucky in getting grandfathered in though.

Personally, i've no problem with the 99.00 plan. I think the cheapest plan is 59 through the employee referral plan (formerly sero). Considering the cheapest iphone plan is 70+ a month with limited text, its not too bad and you'll be paying about 170 a month with at&t for the same 99 plan at sprint.

In the end, sprint has to make some money and if at&t can get away with robbery here, sprint needs to make it up somehow. They won't do it by keeping 30 a month sero plans.
    There's a reason why Sprint is laying off 8000 workers, but cell phone usage, in general, is increasing. Yeah, Sprint is getting the Pre, but they need to make some money and stay in business. I bet you will see a lot less of the "discount" plans from Sprint.
    99.00 a month is still better than any thing out there.
    But what about the $69 SE plan (it isn't unlimited minutes, just 450). Does this not count as a Simply Everything plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    you'll be paying about 170 a month with at&t for the same 99 plan at sprint.
    I am paying $30 for unlimted data from AT&T and $10 for the additional line on my family plan. Not sure where you are getting $170 from.
    This was from a post on SU back in March of 08 concerning this:

"Alright, obviously you guys are too confused and as a result, start complaining and ranting with no idea of the situation.

Here's the deal:

The PDA requirements only applies to those interested in the NEW PLANS. If you go with a PowerPack, PowerPack Family, Basic, or Free Incoming, the old rules still apply. The old rules are that you are not required to get a data plan on a Smartphone, but if you want the MIR you have to have a data plan of $25 or higher. You can choose either none, or any data plan ranging from $15-$30/m.

If you're interested in the new Talk/Message/Connect plans, those WILL NOT work with a Smartphone. You have to either choose an old plan and customize based on what you want or choose an Everything plan.

Also, and this will shut a lot of people up from complaining in the future if they read this, Blackberry BIS is included with the Everything plans (450, 900, and Unlimited). If you need BES, it's $20/m extra.

One benefit of the Everything plans too is that they include Sprint Navigation, Sprint TV PREMIER, and Sprint Music PREMIER."

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...=157286&page=2
    The confusion seems to be with the term "Simply Everything Plan" There is a specific plan called simply everything which has unlimite everything. But there are two others "Everything Data" and "Everything Messaging", then there are family plans for each of those. Now every sprint smartphone requires these plans in order to get the rebate. It says so on each phone on the sprint site. If the customer doesn't want the rebate it makes sense that if they want to keep said said customer they will allow him to do another data plan without a rebate.

Fortunatley for them it was 5$ cheaper for me to switch to a Family everything data plan. For others it might be more expensive.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    In November (or Maybe December), I replaced a Treo 700p on a Family plan with a 755p. Kept the same plan, no questions asked, no problems.

Anything to do with the question about the Pre and required plans is nothing but speculation at this point. Just like most everything else being discussed about the Pre.

I believe Sprint will keep it's options open on plan requirements for as long as possible, and then make a decision based on market conditions and the competition. Unless the phone really is coming out on 2/15, I'd be surprised if a final decision has been made.

And, in spite of the rumors, I don't think the Pre will be released in February. At CES, Palm said there might still be minor changes to the hardware form factor. Given the production lead times necessary for a February release date, that wouldn't be possible. I also think it's unlikely they would release the phone without making the SDK available well before hand.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I am paying $30 for unlimted data from AT&T and $10 for the additional line on my family plan. Not sure where you are getting $170 from.
    Let's see...here's my expensive iphone plan:

99 for unlimited min
    30 for data
    20 for unlimited text

Add in taxes and fees..you get approx 172 a month...

You seem to have left out a thing or two in your at&t plan.

Now if i go with sprint...99 a month includes all that.

So silly me...you do the math.

Even the cheapest iphone plan is:

39 + 30 =69 a month with 450 minutes, 200 texts and unlimited data.

Cheapest sprint plan is 59 a month on the employee referral plan that is 500min, unlimited texting, unlimited data.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhhendu View Post
    J
    Since late 2008, all PDAs activated on Sprint must be tied to a Simply Everything plan. The folks at dan@sprint.com told me there are no ifs, ands or buts on this one, so unless they do something different with the Pre, you'll have to get Simply Everything or Sprint's backend systems simply won't allow the phone to be activated. If you activated a PDA before that time, you're grandfathered..
    False. On the Pre this is likely, but on "all pdas" this is demonstrably false.

dan@sprint.com is answered by people who know very little.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Let's see...here's my expensive iphone plan:

99 for unlimited min
    30 for data
    20 for unlimited text

Add in taxes and fees..you get approx 172 a month...

You seem to have left out a thing or two in your at&t plan.

Now if i go with sprint...99 a month includes all that.

So silly me...you do the math.

Even the cheapest iphone plan is:

39 + 30 =69 a month with 450 minutes, 200 texts and unlimited data.

Cheapest sprint plan is 59 a month on the employee referral plan that is 500min, unlimited texting, unlimited data.
    Yes I did leave out text messaging which would cost an additional $5 for 200. I think it is wonderful that Sprint includes unlimited text messaging and minutes in their $99 plan but most people probably aren't going to exceed the 200 texts and 450 minutes the $69 AT&T plan offers. Almost all the people I call are either on AT&T or Verizon (about 50/50) and nights and weekends are free so more than half my calls don't go against my minutes anyway. AT&T also has rollover minutes and we have about 4500 of them should we suddenly get the urge to talk more one month.

Admittedly most of my vacations occur outside the US and the people I call most are in network, but I don't understand why anyone would be spending $99 for unlimted phone calls unless the phone was for business use.

I do spend another $3.99 a month for cheap international calls though.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 01/27/2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: additional info
    Yes I did leave out text messaging which would cost an additional $5 for 200.
    You left out more than text messaging. You also left out voice minutes. What is your base plan that you add that $30 worth of data to? Your last post mentions a $69 plan. Is that voice and texts, or does that include your data?

Almost anyone under the age of 25 will use way more than 200 texts a month. And many young people use their cell phone as their only phone, which makes exceeding 450 minutes entirely possible.

But, given your 450 minute talk-time standard, Sprint has a Simply Everything Data plan, for $69.99:

-450 minutes, no roaming charges, free nights and weekends
    -unlimited texting, including MMS
    -unlimited data, including GPS navigation and a bunch of things I don't care about like BIS, TV, and more.

Pretty comparable to your plan, but with more features for a lower price ($74 for your plan, including only 200 texts). Hard to say Sprint is too expensive.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    When I talked to Sprint, they said that my Grandfathered Data at currently $15 would increase to $25 to $30 depending which Data plan I selected. So when I replace my 2 Palm 755P in May, the only additional cost every month would be the difference on my family data plan would be $10 each.

Compared to the Instinct, which is rarely let go unless they have the Simply Everything Plan (SE). Glad I waited until Sprint had a better phone, we have the Family Plan, and with 6 phones it makes since, with the Unlimited text for $20, plus my company discount on top of everything.