View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

    9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

    48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

    2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

    44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

    13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

    14 10.77%
Page 14 of 71 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192464 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 1415
  1. #261  
    All you would need is the SE shared data plan for 170 (comes with first two lines plus 19.99 each additional line). That is if they require the SE plans. As of now, I have an email confirmation that plan works with the Instinct and Pre.
  2. #262  
    At&t requires the data plan for the iphone, its not that far of a stretch that sprint would have some requirement for their flagship phone as well. If anything it will require an "everything"plan that has all data/sms included but I seriously doubt the SE of 99.99 will be required. Most of their front line devices now require the 69.99/89.99 everything 450-900 respectively to operate or atleast receive the rebate. Sprint, more than likely will push for the 99.99 & palm will resist hoping to sell as many as possible in compitition for iphone. Either way I'm gonna ebay my current line up to get it
    Powah to the Headset Jockeys!
  3. #263  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Where in my post did I say I was going to leave Sprint? I just said that Sprint would be foolish to alienate their current/longtime users. I stated that Sprint's plans were cheaper than the competition and that they would bring in new customers. The idea is to lock in as many of the existing customers as well. Why not? It's a lot cheaper to retain your customer base with this kind of inscentive than to sign new people on. Just because other carriers do something, it doesn't mean that Sprint needs to do it too. Be creative.

    Please read the posts before you start blasting away.
    I have to agree that your tone suggests (to me) that you would leave Sprint. (hence usage of the term Alienate - which is a pretty powerful term)
  4. #264  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    Let's look at the economics here. If an SE plan is required, I will need to pay an additional $70/mo for this phone (vs. my $30 SERO plan). Over the course of 2 years, the overall cost of this phone will be just under $2000 (70 x 24 + price of phone). As much as I really want this device, I cannot justify that expense.
    Agreed.
    But lets flip that and multiply the $2000 by 500,000 subs (new and old) who don't mind going to the SE plan because its still better than the alternative from other carriers.
  5. dsei's Avatar
    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #265  
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    Agreed.
    But lets flip that and multiply the $2000 by 500,000 subs (new and old) who don't mind going to the SE plan because its still better than the alternative from other carriers.
    So the question is what's more important, selling as many Pre's as possible or maximizing Sprint's revenue through up-selling contracts. Palm has lot riding on the Pre doing very well so I have to believe they are pushing Sprint to sell as many as they can. They will do this by being flexible with their contracts. Like others in this thread, I am willing to pay close to retail for this phone as long as I can stay on my SERO plan.
  6. erwos's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #266  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    So the question is what's more important, selling as many Pre's as possible or maximizing Sprint's revenue through up-selling contracts. Palm has lot riding on the Pre doing very well so I have to believe they are pushing Sprint to sell as many as they can. They will do this by being flexible with their contracts. Like others in this thread, I am willing to pay close to retail for this phone as long as I can stay on my SERO plan.
    If there's a revenue sharing agreement, ala the iPhone, the entire equation changes. That's what most people are failing to consider.
  7. #267  
    So, I'm considering getting the Pre, but only when I'm up for the 22 month upgrade thing which is July for me. However, I'm on a family plan (from like two years ago, so its not listed on sprint at all now).

    I was wondering if I'll be eligible to get it if i buy an unlimited data pack add-on to my current plan. Which would be way better than shelling out an extra 100 bucks a month.

    Or do I have to get two individual plans? Like one basic and one everything data?

    thanks,
    Gerard
  8. #268  
    Based on the price the unlocked 8 gig iPhone 3G commands in France (EUR799) and Hong Kong (HKD5400) - the only markets where unhacked, unlocked, no-contract iPhones are sold - I don't expect the unsubsidized price of a Pre to be under $600.

    I would still happily pay this price if I could keep my SERO plan.
  9. #269  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    So the question is what's more important, selling as many Pre's as possible or maximizing Sprint's revenue through up-selling contracts. Palm has lot riding on the Pre doing very well so I have to believe they are pushing Sprint to sell as many as they can. They will do this by being flexible with their contracts. Like others in this thread, I am willing to pay close to retail for this phone as long as I can stay on my SERO plan.
    Thats a very good point....hmmmmmm

    You have 2 companies struggling. I am sure they had to come to some sort of agreement. Sprint can't afford to keep all of these really unprofitable low-margin plans (like the ones we have) and survive. But Palm needs volume.
    It will be interesting to hear the details. I can't imagine a significant number of folks would hold off on a Pre because of the SE plan. Yes there are those on this board (and for any other phone it would include me too), but as we all know, the folks that surf forums and message boards like this one are few and far in between compared to the market at large. I hate to say it but I don't think we are in Palm OR Sprint's target audience.......
  10. #270  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    So the question is what's more important, selling as many Pre's as possible or maximizing Sprint's revenue through up-selling contracts. Palm has lot riding on the Pre doing very well so I have to believe they are pushing Sprint to sell as many as they can. They will do this by being flexible with their contracts. Like others in this thread, I am willing to pay close to retail for this phone as long as I can stay on my SERO plan.
    oh, yeah. And I am with you 100%! I would pay close to retail to keep my current plan too.
  11. #271  
    What's a se plan? Sorry if it's a dumb question.
  12. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #272  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdangles18 View Post
    What's a se plan? Sorry if it's a dumb question.
    Simply everything by Sprint. It's unlimited minutes, data, text, GPS navigation for $99/month.
  13. dsei's Avatar
    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #273  
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    Thats a very good point....hmmmmmm

    You have 2 companies struggling. I am sure they had to come to some sort of agreement. Sprint can't afford to keep all of these really unprofitable low-margin plans (like the ones we have) and survive. But Palm needs volume.
    It will be interesting to hear the details. I can't imagine a significant number of folks would hold off on a Pre because of the SE plan. Yes there are those on this board (and for any other phone it would include me too), but as we all know, the folks that surf forums and message boards like this one are few and far in between compared to the market at large. I hate to say it but I don't think we are in Palm OR Sprint's target audience.......
    Hard to say. Maybe they'll be smart and offer a compromise. Get a nice low subsidized price on the phone but with a higher priced SE contract.. OR take any contact you like but pay a higher initial price for the phone. I think that would make most people happy. I would be at least...
  14. #274  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Simply everything by Sprint. It's unlimited minutes, data, text, GPS navigation for $99/month.
    Dang that's a little expensive . So it's like a iPhone plan? If the plans r going to be 100 bucks and up then that might be the reason I don't switch with sprint..
  15. #275  
    You don't need to get the SE Unlimited Minute Plan in order to have the Instinct guys!

    You could go for a limited minute but with an unlimited everything else package. They are cheaper by a lot!
  16. #276  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    Hard to say. Maybe they'll be smart and offer a compromise. Get a nice low subsidized price on the phone but with a higher priced SE contract.. OR take any contact you like but pay a higher initial price for the phone. I think that would make most people happy. I would be at least...
    I rather pay a lot for the phone then pay a lot for a plan since my parents pays for the bill and I'll pay fir the phone .
  17. #277  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Yeah, pay more than double than what I am right now ($30) for 50 less minutes a month.
    I want the Pre but not enough to pay almost $1,000 over 2 years.
    Sprint really doesn't want this thing to work do they?
    Make it easy, if you are already on Sprint, you can keep your existing plan and get the Pre for $250 after rebates.
    If you're porting from another wireless carrier, you have to get the SE plan and pay $150 for the Pre.
    Give your existing customers an incentive for sticking with you while millions of others bailed for the ATT iPhone or a VZW phone.
    Generally I thought you always kept your contract as in place...
    You just extend its term.

    Might require extending your contract for 2 years is all.

    Unless they require a service you do not already have in your contract I can not see them forcing you into a new contract.

    Worst case senerio you buy a Pre off the net at a reduced price, install it on your plan and no need to worry about extending your contract..

    Now I wonder if the Pre will come out 4g Capable as Sprint is going to be pressing people to go to the 4G when available as it is A LOT faster and will relieve a lot of pressure off the normal cellular network. Since they are trying to market 4G as a replacement for DSL and Cable broadband you may see the return of "true" unlimited data plans again...

    Rodney
  18. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    Generally I thought you always kept your contract as in place...
    You just extend its term.

    Might require extending your contract for 2 years is all.

    Unless they require a service you do not already have in your contract I can not see them forcing you into a new contract.

    Worst case senerio you buy a Pre off the net at a reduced price, install it on your plan and no need to worry about extending your contract..

    Now I wonder if the Pre will come out 4g Capable as Sprint is going to be pressing people to go to the 4G when available as it is A LOT faster and will relieve a lot of pressure off the normal cellular network. Since they are trying to market 4G as a replacement for DSL and Cable broadband you may see the return of "true" unlimited data plans again...

    Rodney
    The whole point of this thread is that there is a rumor that Sprint will require an SE plan to activate the Pre, just like the Instinct. Doesn't matter if you buy it through Sprint or off Ebay, when you try to activate it you will be required to have an SE plan.
  19. Devtodi's Avatar
    Posts
    250 Posts
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    #279  
    how much faster is 4G compared to EVDO- will that speed be necessary to manage a more complicated device such as the Pre?
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

    Roi Batty


    palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
  20. #280  
    Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
    how much faster is 4G compared to EVDO- will that speed be necessary to manage a more complicated device such as the Pre?
    Google is your friend:

    http://mobileinsight.blogspot.com/2008/01/3g-vs-4g.html
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions