View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I understand that exceptions can be made (as I know several myself have been made)... I just wasn't sure if the SE would be the default for all accounts including Corporate ones.

That has been confirmed already.
    Confirmed? Where? I've seen nothing but speculation regarding the Pre.

The only thing I've seen confirmed is that some people have gotten the Instinct without an SE plan, even though it theoretically requires one.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Confirmed? Where? I've seen nothing but speculation regarding the Pre.

The only thing I've seen confirmed is that some people have gotten the Instinct without an SE plan, even though it theoretically requires one.
    I was referring to the Instinct requiring SE as a default for corporate plans. Breathe.... relax.... it'll be okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I was referring to the Instinct requiring SE as a default for corporate plans. Breathe.... relax.... it'll be okay.

LOL.... really.... If anything has been confirmed it is that Instinct=SE plan, unless your lucky or someone claims they have it and doesnt
    Quote Originally Posted by compneo View Post
    LOL.... really.... If anything has been confirmed it is that Instinct=SE plan, unless your lucky or someone claims they have it and doesnt
    Read the thread. There's a least one poster who's corporate account has Instinct's without SE plans. And my call to Sprint elicited the info that I could upgrade to an Instinct on my Family Plan (under a corporate account) without changing to an SE plan. So I guess it has NOT been confirmed that the Instinct = SE. Yes, in most cases it does, but not all.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Meyerweb,

I believe that rep saw the benefit in waving the SE requirement to extend your contract (there is an entire matrix of calculations that go into your value as a customer with Sprint). I am assuming they saw your value of subsidizing the Instinct coupled with your current plan as greater than requiring you to take the SE requirement. I am willing to bet however, if you went online and ordered the Instinct on your own (without Rep confirmation) and then tried to activate said Instinct, you'd be sorely surprised you are required to get the SE plan. I am sure after speaking with a rep you could actually have it removed, but it isn't automatically something you'd be able to receive.

So, it is confirmed policy that Instinct = SE. What isn't confirmed is what requirements are necessary for someone to have that policy waved.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    I think that requiring an SE plan is foolish. That is to say that they could upsell more current customers by not requiring them to change plans IF they already have unlimited data. Requiring new customers to get a SE plan would still probably save many of them money over everything plans required by other carriers.

The key here is not to alienate your current customer base while luring others over with a great phone on a decent plan. To those who might complain that current customers might be getting a better deal I say, YEP, and if you'd have been a loyal customer before this launch, you might have had the same perk.
    So if the Pre requires an SE plan are you going to leave Sprint and your great plan? I know I'm not going to get rid of my SERO plan to get an Iphone. AT&T's plans are way more expensive. Even if I have to upgrade to an SE plan, it is still cheaper than the other carriers. There's no incentive for me to switch unless I really want a phone the other carriers have or if Sprint's coverage is unacceptable. Neither of those are true in my case. So why wouldn't Sprint require an SE plan? They are likely going to keep you as a customer either way. And don't tell me it's about loyalty, you're with them because the coverage is acceptable and the price is cheap.
    Excellent post Dave. That is exactly why SE will be required.

Will I feel stupid if they don't require it? Nah, things always change. But if people really want this phone, Sprint is saying either pay the premium like every other carrier requires or just enjoy your low cost plan and use a different handset. It isn't an awful business strategy.

My only gripe about SE's is they aren't exactly everything (i.e. Sprint TV Xtra is an additional 9.99). Now that is irksome.
    I would just like to point out that I would be happy to upgrade my plan to one of the unlimited data plans with limited minutes for about 20 dollars more a month, but if I have to use the full Simply Everything Plan for 100 bucks a month, thats a dealbreaker for me, and I would stick with my old plan without the Pre
    Last edited by jaybird45; 01/19/2009 at 10:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    So if the Pre requires an SE plan are you going to leave Sprint and your great plan? I know I'm not going to get rid of my SERO plan to get an Iphone. AT&T's plans are way more expensive. Even if I have to upgrade to an SE plan, it is still cheaper than the other carriers. There's no incentive for me to switch unless I really want a phone the other carriers have or if Sprint's coverage is unacceptable. Neither of those are true in my case. So why wouldn't Sprint require an SE plan? They are likely going to keep you as a customer either way. And don't tell me it's about loyalty, you're with them because the coverage is acceptable and the price is cheap.
    Where in my post did I say I was going to leave Sprint? I just said that Sprint would be foolish to alienate their current/longtime users. I stated that Sprint's plans were cheaper than the competition and that they would bring in new customers. The idea is to lock in as many of the existing customers as well. Why not? It's a lot cheaper to retain your customer base with this kind of inscentive than to sign new people on. Just because other carriers do something, it doesn't mean that Sprint needs to do it too. Be creative.

Please read the posts before you start blasting away.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Where in my post did I say I was going to leave Sprint? I just said that Sprint would be foolish to alienate their current/longtime users. I stated that Sprint's plans were cheaper than the competition and that they would bring in new customers. The idea is to lock in as many of the existing customers as well. Why not? It's a lot cheaper to retain your customer base with this kind of inscentive than to sign new people on. Just because other carriers do something, it doesn't mean that Sprint needs to do it too. Be creative.

Please read the posts before you start blasting away.
    I don't understand your post then. It would only be foolish to alienate their current/longtime users if they would leave. Why would Sprint lock in existing customers at a lower rate plan if they can lock them in at a higher rate plan? Don't get me wrong, I hope I can get this phone and keep my SERO account. But looking at this from Sprint's point of view, if this phone has the demand they think it will, it absolutely makes sense for them to require an SE plan.
    Great thread, everybody. Thanks esp. to intro!

http://www.precentral.net/will-sprin...-plan-palm-pre
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I don't understand your post then. It would only be foolish to alienate their current/longtime users if they would leave. Why would Sprint lock in existing customers at a lower rate plan if they can lock them in at a higher rate plan? Don't get me wrong, I hope I can get this phone and keep my SERO account. But looking at this from Sprint's point of view, if this phone has the demand they think it will, it absolutely makes sense for them to require an SE plan.

The point is that Sprint will finally have a phone that might actually compete with, if not surpass Apple's offering. Allowing current customers that already carry an unlimited data plan to retain it (even if they require another 2 yr committment) not only engenders good will, but might also assist Sprint in stemming the flow of customers away from their brand. I think most SERO users, and other customers with family plans, or Fair and Flexible plans would be willing to pay an extra $100 (I just picked $100 off the top of my head. I'm not trying to start a rumor) for the phone if they were allowed to keep their plan. The more customers they can lock in, the better for Sprint.
    The point is that Sprint will finally have a phone that might actually compete with, if not surpass Apple's offering. Allowing current customers that already carry an unlimited data plan to retain it (even if they require another 2 yr committment) not only engenders good will, but might also assist Sprint in stemming the flow of customers away from their brand. I think most SERO users, and other customers with family plans, or Fair and Flexible plans would be willing to pay an extra $100 (I just picked $100 off the top of my head. I'm not trying to start a rumor) for the phone if they were allowed to keep their plan. The more customers they can lock in, the better for Sprint.
    I would pay extra for the Pre if it meant keeping my SERO 500 plan, I would go as high as $350.
    Of course, my contract expires in May so I'm eligible for discount pricing, but even if I didn't get it, I'd still want the Pre.
    Pre + SERO =
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    thanks Dieter for the post, i just read the article on precentral, and I'm hoping that it will not require the SE plan because Sprint would retain tons of people with this phone.

Most people probably average 40+ a month for a plan that works well for them, the SE is anywhere from 69-99 looking at that and the possibility of people that want this phone i believe sprint could be more profitable by just offering the phone as is- and either offer the 15 dollar data package with the phone or as is.

Once again, my opinion and i just woke up so don't take my word for it ;]
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    So if an SE plan is required, will you

A) Get the Pre and sign up for a more expensive plan
    B) Skip the Pre and stick with your cheap plan
    C) Leave Sprint for another carrier

My bet is most people will pick A or B. Even if some people leave out of principle, Sprint's revenues will likely go up because more people will sign up for the SE plan than leave. Many will stick with their cheap plans too, I still haven't decided yet. Sprint needs to increase their margins to compete with Verizon and AT&T and they will probably use this phone (like they did with the Instinct) to do it.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    So if an SE plan is required, will you

A) Get the Pre and sign up for a more expensive plan
    B) Skip the Pre and stick with your cheap plan
    C) Leave Sprint for another carrier

My bet is most people will pick A or B. Even if some people leave out of principle, Sprint's revenues will likely go up because more people will sign up for the SE plan than leave. Many will stick with their cheap plans too, I still haven't decided yet. Sprint needs to increase their margins to compete with Verizon and AT&T and they will probably use this phone (like they did with the Instinct) to do it.
    Again, it's not about leaving Sprint because of this. It's Sprint's ability to use this launch to secure their customer base. If they can get those with older plans to renew their contracts, it strengthens their position in the market.

As for me, I would stick with my 755 or move to either the Touch Pro, or Treo Pro. However, if I could keep my current plan and get the Pre, even at $350, I would do that. I believe many Sprint customers are in the same boat. Why not lock us in for 2 more years? Happy customer. More money for Sprint. Now that's win/win.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Again, it's not about leaving Sprint because of this. It's Sprint's ability to use this launch to secure their customer base. If they can get those with older plans to renew their contracts, it strengthens their position in the market.

As for me, I would stick with my 755 or move to either the Touch Pro, or Treo Pro. However, if I could keep my current plan and get the Pre, even at $350, I would do that. I believe many Sprint customers are in the same boat. Why not lock us in for 2 more years? Happy customer. More money for Sprint. Now that's win/win.
    There are a few strategies that Sprint could use, all I'm saying is requiring an SE plan does make some sense. It may be disappointing to those of us with cheap plans, but I don't think it will drive us away. I'll be staying with Sprint either way because they're still the cheapest and they have great coverage where I live.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Let's look at the economics here. If an SE plan is required, I will need to pay an additional $70/mo for this phone (vs. my $30 SERO plan). Over the course of 2 years, the overall cost of this phone will be just under $2000 (70 x 24 + price of phone). As much as I really want this device, I cannot justify that expense.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    Let's look at the economics here. If an SE plan is required, I will need to pay an additional $70/mo for this phone (vs. my $30 SERO plan). Over the course of 2 years, the overall cost of this phone will be just under $2000 (70 x 24 + price of phone). As much as I really want this device, I cannot justify that expense.
    +1
    The problem for me is not the pricing of the Full SE plan but its pricing with additional lines.

I just switched from and old "Fair and Flexible 2500" plan to the "Everything Data Family Plan" with 1500 mins for myself and 3 other lines. I have a 755p, my two kids have Centrols and my wife has a phone that does email and photo sending and very limited web browsing.

The loss in number of mins is not a problem since we were not coming close to using the 2500 in the old plan as all of our sprint to sprint calls were free and not only us but most of our family is on Sprint. Howeve,r I did hit roaming charges every month that will now be free under the EDF plan.

In all I will be paying S170/mo for the 4 lines with unlimited data, photos, messaging, GPS, some TV, free mobile to mobile and free weekends and nights starting at 7pm and no roaming charges with 1500 non-free talk mins This saves off of our current plans.

BUT with the full SE plan, it would be $189.99 for the first two phones and $89.99 for each of the other two for a total of $370/mo. That is too much if it was required just to get a PRe