View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

    9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

    48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

    2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

    44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

    13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

    14 10.77%
Page 10 of 71 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 1415
  1. #181  
    I'll get it
  2. #182  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    As for the Instinct, you're wrong there, too. I just checked, and I can "upgrade" my 755p to an Instinct for $99 with no plan change required. Just a 2 yr extension to my current plan. And I do NOT have an SE plan currently.
    Get it in writing or go on and buy it and see what happens. Your plan will change and you will go back and forth with them and may or may not get it fixed.

    You are going against what 50 expert long established and highly trusted Sprint reps who post on Sprint users and howard will tell you.

    There are loopholes. They are going to look at your account. If you have ever seen these kind of account screens they are like well developed customer data screens anywhere and include a numeric metric that shows your current and future profit to the company. It includes your gross spending, your spending/usage, your payment (on time) history, your length of service, a calculation on likelihood of you leaving for another provider, and three or other factors that are in an algorithm that give you a score.

    If your score is very high, or if you get an ***** rep, you can get an Instictint not allowed by default on just like you can get discounts. (those discounts then in turn lower your score).

    If there is a requirment some people will get the Pre on Sero. Some will get it on legacy individual and Family plans even if this is not allowed.

    The question is what will happens as default. The signaling on several levels is default will be the new everything plans only. There are four or five key similarities with the Instinct and Pre not present on other smartphones:
    - Launched in a big industry event by both maker and Sprint (instinct CTIA, PRE CES)
    - Sprtn president directly ties it to ARPU (first words out of his mouth)
    - Sprint Preident ties it ti Simply Everything (second thing he said)
    - Trusted Srpint employees ay that is what they are hearing.
    - Product is tied directly to iphone by Sprint

    It does not mean it is a certainly. It means it is more likely tha prior smartphones.

    Moreover in the past Sprint clearly was thinking of limiting rebates on smart phones to only higher paid data plans. You can see that in rebate form changes that were never enforced (because Sprint knew its sales people had been telling people the new rebate would work even though new language had been added saying it said it would not creating a liability ).
  3. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #183  
    @aero

    I still contend that SERO was never intended for existing customers. If you followed the activity back in early 2006 when it was first discovered that many (most?) Sprint reps would place existing customers on SERO plans, and then watched as that loophole rapidly closed (to the point where it was no longer possible) it's clear they weren't planning for that.

    BTW, the email address thing was meaningless. The rep who put me on SERO never even asked for one.
  4. #184  
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    Actually I get a 22% employee discount through my wifes employer.
    By your definition many people who do that are scamming. In fact it is not -- it is a marketing method -- and a dirt cheap one. Spint saves more than that on your account. getting you was easy and keeping you was easy.
  5. #185  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    @aero

    I still contend that SERO was never intended for existing customers. If you followed the activity back in early 2006 when it was first discovered that many (most?) Sprint reps would place existing customers on SERO plans, and then watched as that loophole rapidly closed (to the point where it was no longer possible) it's clear they weren't planning for that.

    BTW, the email address thing was meaningless. The rep who put me on SERO never even asked for one.
    Respectfully, No I dont see it as that. Why? Because Sprint closed many loopholes at the same time -- not just SERO.

    You would have to say stacked discoutns or many retention offers were not meant for existing customers by that logic.

    They were all reduced at the same time SERO went bye bye. Spritn went from market share at any cost, scrape the bottom of the barrel for customers (I mean in profitability) in order to get some gross subscribver numbers. At some point the entire strategy made them profoundly bottomheavy. They are now trying to upsell (nothing wrong with that). how? improve customer service, tie phones to higher plans, get better phones, limit discoutns, etc. (

    Service industry that are competitive have intense and fluid market share issues. SERO was when? AT the time between when Spritn lost a lot of ground and when the market got saturated.

    I did not get sero myself but I did point out to the Rep that I could see thos sero plans were out there and it would be a shame for both Sprint and I if I had to churn my account to get an equivalent deal. This is not different than saying also: my wife gets a discount with verizon at her work but Sprint doesn't have such a discount and getting a 15% loyalty discount. DEaling and negotiating price with a seller is good for both parties

    Nw that the market is saturated all the carriers are trying a variety of strategies, less in favor is outright share grabs and more in favor is increasing APRU. No company is more focused on ARPU than Sprint.

    I've worked for companies that do this in zero sum gross number of customers games at some point. You lowball like a wolf, steal the customers, determine which you can upsell or increase profit on, and jettison, fire, throttle, or make unwelcome the rest ("firing the customer") up to a certain percentage.

    There is nothing nefarious in either the customer or company behavior. it is called "the market." I love Sprit, I think it s good value. But I also know I am a good value to Sprint despite my cheap plan.
  6. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #186  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Respectfully, No I dont see it as that. Why? Because Sprint closed many loopholes at the same time -- not just SERO.

    You would have to say stacked discoutns or many retention offers were not meant for existing customers by that logic.

    They were all reduced at the same time SERO went bye bye.
    So even though the SERO offer clearly stated (in the fine print) "for new activations only" - they were just kidding? I agree that the end result was probably a benefit for them, but I don't see how this was a planned strategy on their part. (mostly because I don't think Sprint is smart enough as an organization) But, whatever - just idle speculation.
  7. #187  
    I'm currently paying mid $70's range for a shared 550 plan with a 700P (unlimited data, 1000 txt) and Samsung M300 sharing the minutes. As long as I stay in my current payment range then I'm in. May have to stick with my 700P if my payments go beyond what I'm paying now. Chatted with a CS rep who said I wouldn't have to make any changes to my plan.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  8. #188  
    I hope for Sprint's sake, my sources are wrong.

    I can see a lot of draw for subscriber base if they don't tag a price plan onto this device.
  9. #189  
    I believe I'm on an Everything (but not SE) plan already (it's not my plan, I'm on a family plan.)

    But, I won't be up for a new phone until... October (it is 18 months for a new phone, right?) I believe. By then, two things may have happened:

    1. Different requirements for the Pre
    2. Other phone options

    I'm currently looking at the HTC Touch Pro, in case something happens with the plan that gets retentions to get us new phones (Sprint screws stuff up often,) but I don't really see that happening with the TP supply constraints.
  10. #190  
    If you have the Simply Shared with Data (as opposed to the Simply Shared with Messaging), than you are covered. There are several tiers of Simply Shared with Data, the minutes are the only thing that varies (as well as price). Yet, they should all include, data, messaging, Sprint TV, and GPS.
  11. #191  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    well this came from a sprint internal document which might suggest you'll need a simply everything plan:

    Q: What Sprint-specific features will be available for Pre?
    Simply Everything plan: $99 plan that includes unlimited nationwide calling, texting, web browsing, GPS and more.
    Value: Simply Everything plansprovide a minimum savings of $960 over Verizon and AT&T over 2 years.
    Ready Now: Sprint's in-store user experience that provides one-on-one training and assistance to set up and demonstrate a customer's phone before leaving the store.
    That says "available" features, not "required" features. If you interpret it as "required" that means you won't be able to buy it online. You'll be forced go to a Sprint store so you can get "Ready Now" support. I find that highly unlikely.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  12. #192  
    I still haven't decided for sure if I'll get even with my current plan. Still a lot of unknowns. I'll wait and see.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  13. #193  
    22 months for new phone with Sprint
  14. #194  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Your logic is flawed.

    The reason being is, as soon as you recieve the Instinct and call in to do an ESN swap, the Ensamble system (Sprin't database), will not allow the Instinct to be allowed on your plan.

    (and in this case, the Rep will ask if you wish to change your plan)
    Well, perhaps, but I called Sprint and asked, and they said no, I didn't need to change plans. So should I believe Sprint, or you guys? Perhaps the fact that I'm on a business plan makes a difference.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  15. #195  
    I'll have to pass on the Pre if SE is required. The only reason I switched to Sprint was for the SERO plan. I can afford the intital cost of the Pre (assuming $150-300), but an extra $40-70 a month is not gonna happen on my current budget.

    I'll be very disappointed, but I'll be able to pay my utility bills!

    Damn, I hope they announce it soon so I know whether or not to stay excited about the Pre!
    Last edited by decypher44; 01/14/2009 at 05:28 PM.
  16. #196  
    I'll get it for sure. Will cost much less than the iphone plan i have.
  17. #197  
    I will have to pass as well. My only hope is that they don't require the SE with the Pro as well. Is that known or not? If the Pro comes out without requiring a plan change (as the Touch Pro did) I might just get it now and sell it if the Pre doesn't require it.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  18. #198  
    Well, if somehow through loyalty discounts or retentions I'm able to limit my increase to $15/month or less then I would make the switch just so I could get on a new plan and not worry if each new phone would be allowed.

    Does anyone know if the everything plus SERO replacement plan allowed the instinct?
  19. #199  
    It is very possible your Business account is not affected by SE requirements. I used to have a corporate account and did not have to have similar restrictions on my plans.

    I hope that you don't have to, I would think there aren't any SE business plans anyway. But those aren't published...
  20. #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by decypher44 View Post
    I'll have to pass on the Pre if SE is required. The only reason I switched to Sprint was for the SERO plan.
    I'll pay however much a pre is out of contract, but I'm not giving up my $35/month plan. especially when I use less than 100 minutes a month. it's just not worth it.
    Last edited by gab2409; 01/14/2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: more

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions