Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got a letter from Asurion which increases the deductible on all smartphones (treos, centros and likely Pre ) to $100.00.Double the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    just got a letter from asurion which increases the deductible on all smartphones (treos, centros and likely pre ) to $100.00.double the price.
    wow!
    I just emailed Sprint my displeasure on this change. Look, if you go one year without a claim ($84) and then pay $100, this costs more than just buying a replacement from eBay! Bottom line, they think they're so smart, but I bet the lose a large number of TEP customers. I know they lost this one.
    Yea, I'm glad I saw this post, thanks. I only read the part on the front letter that mentioned the improvements they've made and then just filed it. I think it might still be good to buy when you buy a phone new to the market, but after the phone has been available for a few months, the ebay purchase price would probably make it a better idea to self insure.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Geez! Thanks for the post, I haven't got that letter yet...
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Yea, I'm glad I saw this post, thanks. I only read the part on the front letter that mentioned the improvements they've made and then just filed it. I think it might still be good to buy when you buy a phone new to the market, but after the phone has been available for a few months, the ebay purchase price would probably make it a better idea to self insure.
    I agree 100%. $50. was reasonable, but doubling that price just doesn't make financial sense to me.

Since my wife and I have 800w's, and since getting a replacement shouldn't be too tough/expensive on ebay/craigslist, I'll be cancelling my insurance.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Yep. I was able to confirm this with a Sprint Employee today. He said this will be taking place in the next 2 months..Also doing without my insurance...It's just not worth it...I'm a Fix it guy...I'd rather buy a broken one on ebay and use the parts to fix mine..

Brian
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
    I haven't gotten the notification yet, but it seems when so many devices only cost $99 to start with that a $100 deductible is overkill.

Is it enough of an account change to void your contract?
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I think it might still be good to buy when you buy a phone new to the market, but after the phone has been available for a few months, the ebay purchase price would probably make it a better idea to self insure.
    I think that is good advice.
    With ebay and upping the one year discount from $75 to to $150, TEP with the the new $100 deductible makes little sense except possibly the first few months on a new to market device.

I have had about 45 phone years ( three lines for over ten years and five for three years). That would cost me $4000 in Tep. (7x12x45 plus tax) and I would have used it perhaps six times at an average value of $200 a claims (estimating high at $300 replacement minus $100 deductible) meaning I woudl have gotten a $1200 benefit for a $4000 expense.

Essentially it is always good to self insure a non catastrophic loss. the only mitigation against this:

- are underwriting of legal representation (the insurance companies lawyers negotiating with the other insurance company, plaintiff or in court)

- Insurance companies negotiating lower prices (you see this in your health insurance)

- underwriting of your costs by people paying the same as you for less benefits. (this used to be the case with phoen insurance where people buying the cheap phones also bought tep at $7 and had the same deductible)
    Last edited by aero; 02/22/2009 at 06:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I haven't gotten the notification yet, but it seems when so many devices only cost $99 to start with that a $100 deductible is overkill.

Is it enough of an account change to void your contract?
    No I dont think this is a material change as you can simply drop TEP. But Sprint has made many material changes the last few months so you can get out of ETF for other new charges you see sneaking into your bill.
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by nitido357 View Post
    ...and Treo Pro already listed too! Thanks for the links...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    So today...I call CS...Tell them I want to cancel the Insurance...the Operator was like...are you sure you want to that sir...I reply...Yes..I am Sure...Ok you do know you won't have any insurance anymore...Yes Sir I know...Ok I will remove the insurance just be Very,Very,Very Careful with your Sprint Phone...Gee....Go Figure CS

B
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
    I must say I have gotten my money's worth on the insurance in the past, but at $100 it no longer makes sense, just canceled mine.
    If this change doesnt go into affect til April, why are people canceling their insurance now?

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse View Post
    If this change doesnt go into affect til April, why are people canceling their insurance now?
    Agreed. (I was gonna comment on that, too. )

I will be canceling it, but not until the last minute, just in case...
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    I thought it might be because people would eventually forget(this isn't really something urgent), so they thought they'd better do it now while the thought is still fresh. Just speculation though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I thought it might be because people would eventually forget(this isn't really something urgent), so they thought they'd better do it now while the thought is still fresh. Just speculation though.
    I agree about the cancel forget thing......BUT dont most/all modern phone/pda devices have calendars that let us set um reminders???
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    ...and Treo Pro already listed too! Thanks for the links...
    I got my letter today, along with a booklet listing the new plan, phones, rates, etc. But it didn't mention the Treo Pro anywhere. That booklet doesn't look anything like the link that is referenced in this thread.

And what the heck is the Treo Pro model called Jones that is listed?

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Please realize that the $100 deductible is for lost/stolen, water damaged or excessive physically damaged phones. If you have TEP, you can still go into a store and have it fixed/replaced free of charge. This is only if you go through Asurion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast