1.    #1  
    Ok as my first of I'm sure many newbie questions I'm going to ask the obvious.
    The Pre buzz has renewed my interest in a topic I've wanted clarity on for some time. I have looked and cannot find a trustworthy or recent answer to this so here goes.

Can any CDMA phone be used on any CDMA network? Specifically Sprint phone on Verizon network for me, but I'd like to know from any phone to any network (assuming CDMA, I'll save the GSM for another discussion I feel I have a little better grasp on that one).

If this is possible what is involved and what are the reprecusions?

Thank you for any insight you may have.
    Last edited by mcss1985; 01/13/2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: sp.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcss1985 View Post
    Ok as my first of I'm sure many newbie questions I'm going to ask the obvious.
    The Pre buzz has renued my interest in a topic I've wanted clarity on for some time. I have looked and cannot find a trustworthy or recent answer to this so here goes.

Can any CDMA phone be used on any CDMA network? Specifically Sprint phone on Verizon network for me, but I'd like to know from any phone to any network (assuming CDMA, I'll save the GSM for another discussion I feel I have a little better grasp on that one).

If this is possible what is involved and what are the reprecusions?

Thank you for any insight you may have.
    It is technically possible but not easy to do because device IDs (ESNs) are locked to specific carriers. You'd have to talk Sprint into unlocking it and Verizon into activating it...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    It is technically possible but not easy to do because device IDs (ESNs) are locked to specific carriers. You'd have to talk Sprint into unlocking it and Verizon into activating it...
    If I could get Sprint to unlock it or get an unlocked phone, how hard is it to get Verizon to activate? It sounds like the hard part is getting it unlocked. Once unlocked is it still a challenge to get it on Verizon?
    Quote Originally Posted by mcss1985 View Post
    If I could get Sprint to unlock it or get an unlocked phone, how hard is it to get Verizon to activate? It sounds like the hard part is getting it unlocked. Once unlocked is it still a challenge to get it on Verizon?
    It's not really a matter of if it could be done, but a matter of will the carrier allow it to be done. My experience is that Verizon will not allow Sprint phones on their network, and vice versa. Why? Most likely there are two reasons. One is competition; why should they let you activate a competitor's phone on their network when they can insist you use one of theirs. The other reason could be technical. When a carrier sells a phone, they are designed for their network, and usually have some changes internally to the phones firmware that are carrier specific. That is why you can't take a Verizon phone like the 700wx and flash it with a Sprint 700wx firmware upgrade. All you can do is ask the carrier and see what they say. The only company I know that has had success with flashing phones with new firmware is Cricket, but that is a whole other story.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."