Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's just not working out. I think i have just had enough of Sprint's Network woes. First i sucked it up that they didnt have EVDO in my area. Second it doesnt have a signal where i work. I have tried to make do by forcing EVDO and roaming on another network at work. And i am on the SERO plan so i was gonna hold out. But i am now thinking of just filing for Divorce.

What will it cost me? The ETF i know. But can i keep my 755p and use it on Verizon/Alltel if i want to? and can i keep the same number if i switch?
    I don't think you can use that phone on Verizon.
  3. UserOne
    I don't know on using the same device on Verizon or Alltel... I know Verizon supposedly places their own "modifications" to the PalmOS on their devices, so that may be an issue with a device from another carrier.

As far as keeping your old phone number.... yes, thanx to the number portability deal you can keep your old number, simply tell your new carrier that you wish to port your old number over to your new device. It may take a few days for the number to properly port over to the new carrier, during which time they will give you a "temporary phone number" so you can immediately use the new device.

Just my .02... L8R
  4.    #4  
    man, thats a deal breaker... isn't there a way to unlock the phone or something?
  5. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    man, thats a deal breaker... isn't there a way to unlock the phone or something?
    Typically, "unlocking" is done to GSM devices... I, admittedly, have very little knowledge on if this is possible/plausible on CDMA devices. I plan on doing some shopping later today, so I will try to find a Verizon or Alltel dealer and see what they have to say on the topic... hopefully, they will have a better answer than I do for ya at the moment hehe.

Personally, I have had a rather surprising & pleasurable experience with switching to Sprint, however I must admit that if they did not offer EvDO in my area and I had the issues you describe I would think twice about sticking with them as well.

L8R
    Maybe now is the time to ask Verizon about their previous announcement that they have opened their network for users to be able to use phones from other network. I know its a long shot but just maybe you can ask.
    Another option is to get a centro when you sign up with vzw and then sell your old phone on ebay. It will help with the ETF.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by UserOne View Post
    Typically, "unlocking" is done to GSM devices... I, admittedly, have very little knowledge on if this is possible/plausible on CDMA devices. I plan on doing some shopping later today, so I will try to find a Verizon or Alltel dealer and see what they have to say on the topic... hopefully, they will have a better answer than I do for ya at the moment hehe.
    I will await your progress on that. THanks!!

@cavingjan - thats a good thought if i will be able to use my 755p in Verizon.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    If it doesn't work while roaming what makes you think it will work if you move over to Verizon?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by AirData View Post
    If it doesn't work while roaming what makes you think it will work if you move over to Verizon?
    What i meant was the only connection i can get consistently is thru roaming... now i am not particularly sure if i am roaming on Alltel's or Verizon's networks when i do that.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    What i meant was the only connection i can get consistently is thru roaming... now i am not particularly sure if i am roaming on Alltel's or Verizon's networks when i do that.
    Sounds to me like you need to do a bit of research on carrier coverage before you make a jump anywhere.

I would also try another brand phone first. I just dumped my Treo for a Touch and it works where the Treo would drop calls.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
  13.    #13  
    I just dropped by both the Verizon and Alltel stores near where i live and they both said i could not use my current phone with them. Dang. Looks like i'll be stuck with Sprint...
    I guess the open network announcement is for PRPRPR $only$.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    few things-

verizon and alltell are the same difference - or will be shortly- vz boughr alltell.

sprint folks (and everyone in general) need to understand that roaming isn't a given for cdma (dont know gsm). there could be 2 other compatible carriers in a dead spot and you still might not roam. that's the whole point of the PRL's that get downloaded to your phone and updated at times. the prl is preferred roaming list. should probably be allowed roaming list. it tells your phone which towers you may or may not roam on. if your carrier believes they have 'adequate' coverage in an area they won't allow roaming on any towers around there as it costs them money. with sprint and their lack of 800 mhz spectrum that can penetrate buildings better that can be more of an issue. you might get a bar or 2 outside so sprint would consider that fine. go inside and get nothing- tough- vz might have great 800 coverage inside but its not from an allowed cell so tough- no service.

there's technically no reason a cdma phone won't work on sprint/vz/or alltell. we used to flash the roms all the time with the other brand roms to get the correct settings. but more recently vz at least stopped that by only activating serial numbers from the list they have of phones with their name on it. special especially after there "open network prprpr&$quot$;

I believe they have interpreted open network to mean WHOLESALE open- not retail. apparently their are people making devices for the vz network but you pay the device maker for use and they pay vz. the one example I saw is a meter for propane heating tanks- when they tank gets low it sends a text message to the delivery people to fill the tank. hardly what we all assumed - that we could take sprint phones amd use them on vz.

hopefully LTE (the 4g network system that vz plans for 2010 and att for 2012) is like gsm and has sim cards or some way to move phones from one provider to another.
    It's just not working out. I think i have just had enough of Sprint's Network woes. First i sucked it up that they didnt have EVDO in my area. Second it doesnt have a signal where i work. I have tried to make do by forcing EVDO and roaming on another network at work. And i am on the SERO plan so i was gonna hold out. But i am now thinking of just filing for Divorce.

What will it cost me? The ETF i know. But can i keep my 755p and use it on Verizon/Alltel if i want to? and can i keep the same number if i switch?

Hey Bulls96,
    I sent you a PM.

We may be able to help out each other
  17. UserOne
    Sorry for the delay here, work & family issues have left me with very little free time of late .

Anyways, I asked two separate Verizon dealers in my area (one just a kiosk in a mall & one an official Authorized VZW Dealer) if I could use my Sprint 755p on their network... the first one flat out admitted that he didnt know, but was willing to offer a "great deal" on a new phone. Don't know what the "great deal" was... didn't pursue that one further.

The second place I went to (the authorized VZW Dealer) immediately, said "no, it won't work"... however, I then asked him about re-flashing the ROM with a Verizon flash update. Then he said, yes that will work, but we won't flash your device for you and we're not responsible if you have any issues with the device after the reset... in other words, "we don't want anything to do with re-flashed equipment" .

Basically, the long & short of it seems that they simply want to sell you a new phone... and while they will technically "allow" you to put your re-flashed phone on their network, they aren't going to make anything else easy on you. I found it odd, that the Verizon reps I talked to always tried to only tell "half-truths" or cloud the issue when asked a direct question. Only after asking the same question three or four times (in different ways) would you even begin to get close to a whole picture as your answer. Maybe this issue is just my reps in my area, but I felt it was rather shady and always seemed like they were trying to hide something from you.

Again, sorry for the delay.... best of luck.
  18.    #18  
    wow that flashing idea is actually enticing...

wonder if anyone has done that? arent the ROM updates Palm sends out Carrier specific? you won't be able to install it if the carrier is wrong right?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    search for shadowmite
    he figured out on the older models how to flash other carrier loads on phones.

BUT as I posted above - verizon locked their computers to only allow serial numbers that they sold. so a sprint serial number won't get activated- unless things changed. because of this the activity into flashing with other carrier roms pretty much stopped.

that's the facts.

I think the vz reps are being cagey because they are just clueless and don't know the facts.

again perhaps recently they changed and took the serial number check out of their activation system- but I doubt it.

(there are folks that claim to know "the right people" to get a sprint esn added to the allowed list- but i've never seen clean clear instructions)

search a bit there is a lot of info here and over at shadowmites website.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    From time to time Sprint increases txt rate or roaming fees - that's considered material change on the contract. You can use that as a reason to cancel your contract without ETF. But I don't know if that will apply in your case, since you have SERO that already includes unlimited texting and free roaming.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast