Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My 700p has been sitting in the drawer for a month while I've been dealing with my new 800w. I needed to use its fancy calculator so I fired it up and was surprised to discover that the data service is still working.

Is anyone else getting this little treat? Will Sprint eventually shut me off? In any case, right now I gotz me a dern cheap wireless connection card!
    It's been doing the same for my 700p & 755p...
    My old Centro's data worked for 3 days alongside my new phone. Then on the third day it stopped working. While the data did work for those 3 days the voice did not work.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Same with my Centro. been a month and data working , voice not working. Its causing me an issue. I get a voiceail and it show up on my centro but you cant access the voice mail so the green light never goes off and the voicemail icon stays.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I get a voiceail and it show up on my centro but you cant access the voice mail so the green light never goes off and the voicemail icon stays.
    You can delete the VM icon by hitting the menu-option-phone preferences and then tap on the clear voicemail icon.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Thanks RickMG appreciate that.
    I had the same thing occur on a 700p that we retired a year ago. my kid now uses it. never billed a thing, perfect high speed data.
    And people wonder why Sprint is struggling. Why not do the right thing instead of stealing from them?
    OK, asking people not to use free data that's only there because Sprint can't shut off phones properly is like asking people not to help themselves to free money lying in the street. When sprint cut me off last year for not being able to pay yet another screwed up, exhorbitant bill, my data still worked and you better believe I used it.

It's not really stealing either because they DO pay for service every month. Stealing would be trying to finagle some sort of hack to achieve free data, NOT just using data thats just there.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SueWalsh623 View Post
    And people wonder why Sprint is struggling. Why not do the right thing instead of stealing from them?
    my take is no wonder sprint is struggling- their systems are so screwed up that its apparently common knowledge they don't shut donw data on old phones.

real world is people are people and will use it. sprint should know that and have robust systems in place to prevent it.

its like a bank leaving their vault and front door unlocked on the weekends when the place is closed and not making sure to even turn on the alarm. sure its illegal- but someone would rob them eventuallly.
    Quote Originally Posted by SueWalsh623 View Post
    I assume it is going to my new 5GB cap, and therefore in now way shape or form stealing, since Sprint's scheme is to charge me for a certain amount of data.
    You just keep on telling yourself it's not stealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    It isn't because it was a phone formerly on my account and doesn't involve any labor for them to provision and the data seems to be coming off my account.
    If it qualifies as stealing then so does buying another computer for my home and setting it up with my router.

Who maybe stealing is Sprint. By cutting costs and not having proper provisoning software and causing existing customers who change phones and sell them not being properly unprovisioned when the phone is replaced and sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Who maybe stealing is Sprint. By cutting costs and not having proper provisoning software and causing existing customers who change phones and sell them not being properly unprovisioned when the phone is replaced and sold.
    Indeed, that is the real problem. How does one sell their old phone and not risk the new owner using up the original owner's data allowance via streaming video, etc.? If Sprint doesn't properly turn off all of the services on the old phone, any new owner of the phone could potentially be stealing service from the old owner.

Not good.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    It isn't
    Quote Originally Posted by hellobro View Post
    It isn't
    Yeah. I don't know what kind of "blame the customer" attitude the "stealing" crack came from in the first place.

Sprint has gone through many different types of provisioning. I have had handsets that had been shut off and retired, and hard reset, not get access and then start getting access a few months later.

To say it is stealing is the same as saying if a customer calls the cable company and cancels HBO, and the cable company doesn't bother to stop service, you are stealing when you watch it! No one is hacking these phones to establish service it just isn't being turned off or it is being turned back on by Sprint.
    I've had a couple of older phones that have been "deactivated" yet still able to get a data connections. But, this morning I couldn't get it to work on either of them. Anyone else having this problem? Did Sprint finally figure it out?
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Yeah, my deactivated Centro stopped working yesterday after 30 days of glorious free data. I thought it was because I'd activated a phone on another line, but I guess Sprint must be auditing their system.
    I was just hoping it was fluke or something but I still can't access data on my two old phones. Bummer, I was really enjoying that.
    Maybe someone tipped Sprint...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast