Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
    You can go to gmail settings, accounts, send mail as and specify a different reply email address.
    jayzee,

Unfortunately that doesn't change the header display that the recipient sees. I wanted the header to read my name xxx@cox.net and not my name xxx@gmail.com.

Perhaps it can't be done just like when we used the Sprint outgoing SMTP the header seen by the recipient displayed xxx@sprintpcs.com on behalf of my name xxx@cox.net) Although someone posted that they contacted Sprint tech support and had the Sprint reference deleted.

Any other ideas?
    TIA
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 10/17/2008 at 07:27 AM.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Those of us using external providers are not going to have a problem. In other words, if you use GMail, Yahoo!, Everyone.Net, Fastmail and bunches of others, no problem regardless of whether you are using ChatterEmail, Versastink or any of the WM applications.
    The problem is that free email services like Yahoo, MSN, AOL, GMail, etc., are sometimes rejected by corporate mail servers. Not only that, but I've tried to set up an account to sign up to pay bills online with my Yahoo mail account and was told that "free" email servers are not allowed. There are also sometimes issues with attachments.

But more importantly, SprintPCS email was one of the benefits of signing up for a Sprint account. When they take value away from your account, they should deduct that from your bill.

Just my 2 cents worth. (I'll use Fastmail.FM for my SMTP server.)

RonB
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    jayzee,

Unfortunately that doesn't change the header display that the recipient sees. I wanted the header to read my name xxx@cox.net and not my name xxx@gmail.com.

Perhaps it can't be done just like when we used the Sprint outgoing SMTP the header seen by the recipient displayed xxx@sprintpcs.com on behalf of my name xxx@cox.net) Although someone posted that they contacted Sprint tech support and had the Sprint reference deleted.

Any other ideas?
    TIA
    I corrected that problem (sort of) by creating another email address. In Gmail, under, Settings/Accounts you have your default email xxx@gmail.com. Under that, you should see a link to add another email address. Just create the email address you want to use there. Once created, make that the default email address. I just did a test sending an email from Snappermail and it worked fine.

But you will then have all your traffic going to your new email address instead of the gmail. I don't use my gmail account, so that works for me.
    Last edited by cash70; 11/10/2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Added info.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70 View Post
    I corrected that problem (sort of) by creating another email address. In Gmail, under, Settings/Accounts you have your default email xxx@gmail.com. Under that, you should see a link to add another email address. Just create the email address you want to use there. Once created, make that the default email address. I just did a test sending an email from Snappermail and it worked fine.

But you will then have all your traffic going to your new email address instead of the gmail. I don't use my gmail account, so that works for me.
    cash70,
    I must be doing something wrong.
    I followed your steps. However the receipient sees the following header on their laptop Outlook mail:
    my name (xxx@gmail.com) on behalf of my name )xxx@cox.net

Interesting enough, when I send it to another email address on my Treo is doesn't show the "on behalf" just the xxx@cox.net as I wanted.

Any suggestions.
    TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    cash70,
    I must be doing something wrong.
    I followed your steps. However the receipient sees the following header on their laptop Outlook mail:
    my name (xxx@gmail.com) on behalf of my name )xxx@cox.net

Interesting enough, when I send it to another email address on my Treo is doesn't show the "on behalf" just the xxx@cox.net as I wanted.

Any suggestions.
    TIA
    Well, I found the answer to my issue. Outlook will display it. Here's the quote from gmail:

Note: when you're sending with a different 'From:' address, your Gmail address will still be included in your email header's sender field, to help prevent your mail from being marked as spam. Most email clients don't display the sender field, though some versions of Microsoft Outlook may display "From yourusername@gmail.com on behalf of customaddress@mydomain.com."

So I'm good.
    Tks for your help cash70
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 11/10/2008 at 09:54 PM.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Well, I found the answer to my issue. Outlook will display it. Here's the quote from gmail:

Note: when you're sending with a different 'From:' address, your Gmail address will still be included in your email header's sender field, to help prevent your mail from being marked as spam. Most email clients don't display the sender field, though some versions of Microsoft Outlook may display "From yourusername@gmail.com on behalf of customaddress@mydomain.com."

So I'm good.
    Tks for your help cash70
    Ahhh, when I did my test yesterday I didn't send it to my Outlook account. That is why I didn't see it. But that is good to know. Good catch!
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Is there any consensus as to whether this really changes terms of service or not? This is going to be a major hassle, not just immediately when we users have to switch to gmail SMTP, but down-the-road when we have messages start bouncing because some other servers reject authentication from free services (which is well-justified IMO).

I would like to either terminate my contract without penalty on January 1st or have Sprint offer a real solution to this problem. Does anyone have any guesses as to my chances with the former if they don't fix the problem?
  8.    #68  
    Leverage your disappointment that they canceled PCS Mail when you call in to renegotiate your contract. Eventually you'll get a plan as good as mine.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    http://www.sprint.com/popups/pop_mailfaq.shtml

sprint's outgoing smtp server will remain. So we can still send our emails using sprints servers.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    http://www.sprint.com/popups/pop_mailfaq.shtml

sprint's outgoing smtp server will remain. So we can still send our emails using sprints servers.
    Good find SedahDrol.
    Tks
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    My mail is still working for sending and receiving..anyone else?

Brian
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
    still working for me too - includung txt forwarding.
    confused as well - can't find any info on other sites, either (sprintusers.com)
    hope it continues, will it?
    Yes mine is still working as well.
    I moved two of my three email accounts to the gmail/server as suggested in this thread. I've left one (least used) on Sprint's server.

I may just keep them split up like that.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    looks like Sprint did the right thing after all and is keeping the smtp servers up and running ongoing. yay.
    Yes according to sprints FAQ (look at my previous post above) there's a link to it. their outgoing smtp servers were to remain functioning so people could use them to send emails with their smartphones.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    01/07/09 I am still able to send & receive. I can also log onto my sprint.com and view my mail. Is this somthing that Sprint is now going to continue to use?

17.    #77  
    I actually removed my sprintpcs.com email from my eBay and Paypal accounts because I didn't want to lose any incoming auction money. Well, somewhere, buried down deep, my sprintpcs.com account must be lingering because I received an auction payment to that address, but I never received an email. But TODAY, one came in saying "you have money, add this email to a paypal account to get it"

So I readded that email to paypal and received the notification... thus the email seems to be working fine, but this is completely annoying and I hate it and I hate Sprint for doing this.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    It is me or the Sprint Mail is no longer available under "My account Tools" on sprint.com

Thanks
    Brian

My Sprint TV stopped working. My NAI in the phone settings is set to the pcs mail e-mail address.
    I go into my account and it suys "null" for the account name. So what the heck, will that update automatically or do I gotta contact support?

Anyone else not able to load Sprint TV channel listings?
    Just an update, I can load sprintv again. Logging into my account still says "null" where the e-mail account used to be in the settings area.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast