Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi View Post
    Here is a free option...
    Gmail
    you setup a free Gmail account and use their SMTP.
    You setup your other emails as verified in the Gmail settings and then you can use them (or so it seems, I am still playing with my setup).
    Here is a link to the how to:
    http://www.granneman.com/techinfo/em...ailforsmtp.htm

EIDT: It works great

If anyone is following this thread (yes, all three of us), please still email Dan@Sprint.com
    if you have not already done so; this should not have to be this hard or have even happened in the first place (at least IMHO).

I am so very happy we found a solution. Thanks for the people here and MyTreo.net
    Regards, Matt
    Matt
    Here is my effort, the Subject line is WHY??????
    Thanks for all your efforts keep up the fight.
    -g-

Hello Dan,

Sprint has been gaining points with the Airave and many other things, but WHY oh WHY are you terminating PCS MAIL??? Especially now that I just resigned for another 2 years or it can be looked at for another 4 months. It should be noted that I have been a customer since 2000.

It was announced that Sprint will terminate the PCS Mail service (username@SprintPCS.com) on December 31st 2008, part of this shutdown will also effect people that use the SMTP sever to ‘relay’ email from Optonline and other email services who have been doing this for years.

Please leave the SMTP server running or allow us to access another one (see below for details)

Terminating the ability to use/get PCS mail is one thing, we understand you have to save money and there are other options if you were just using it for mail and not relaying (e.g. Hotmail, Gmail etc).

However, users that use the PCS SMTP server to relay email (e.g. Optonline, Time Warner Road Runner, Comcast, etc) will find out quickly on 1-1-09 that they can no longer do that they had/have been doing for years. Unlike the main part of the PCS email that can have a workaround (Gmail, hotmail and such), these users will be dead in the water.

Many Sprint PCS users use the PCS mail’s SMTP server to “relay’ emails to customer, family and friends.

In closing, please keep the PCS Mail SMTP (smtp.sprintpcs.com) server running or give us another one we can use.

Thanks for your time
    -g-
    Steve

Details:
    Many email providers will not let you relay emails (send their emails on a different server then their own (for spam and authenticity reasons). I can only speak about the provider I use, but other email providers are the same way, many, many Palm Treo owners use this feature.

There are no issues with using an email client (e.g. Mobile Email, Snapper Mail, Chatter Mail, Palm Mail) to receive the mail (via the providers POP3 server), but when they try to send and email from that same providers SMTP server, they get a kickback saying that they do not allow this. The solution for years as been to change the outgoing SMTP server in your setup, to the PCS Email SMTP SERVER (smtp.sprintpcs.com) and to use your PCS Email user name and password to do so. This was all done transparent to the person getting the email, so they were able to respond with out issue and it was seamless, streamlined and worked for years. When Sprint shuts down PCS Email in December, not only will be loose PCS email, but it will also cripple many other email uses.
    -g-

Treo 300-650-755P, Contract ends 11/30/07. SERO F&F 1250, The following are unlimited: N&W (7PM), Mobile to Home (M2H), Free Incoming, Vision Data, Text Messages for $49.99 - Plus Sprint AIRAVE @ N/C.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie_g View Post
    Matt
    Here is my effort, the Subject line is WHY??????
    Thanks for all your efforts keep up the fight.
    -g-
    This is the auto reply I got:

Thank you for taking the time to write. To truly revolutionize wireless, we need your input. It’s people like you who are using our services everyday that can provide the best perspective. We'll be looking through all the ideas and feedback we receive.

This will, of course, take some time. I appreciate your patience until we can get you a response. A representative from my office will be contacting you in about a week.

In the meantime, if you are interested in learning more about our new Simply Everything plan, you can find the details at www.sprint.com/everything.

Once again, from all of us at Sprint, thank you.

Dan Hesse
    President and CEO – Sprint
    -g-

Treo 300-650-755P, Contract ends 11/30/07. SERO F&F 1250, The following are unlimited: N&W (7PM), Mobile to Home (M2H), Free Incoming, Vision Data, Text Messages for $49.99 - Plus Sprint AIRAVE @ N/C.
    I got the same reply.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I just got it all set up to work with my fios/yahoo email and all tests fine
    i even set up text notifications in yahoo so now when i get an email yahoo sends me a text which chatter "sees" and deletes and gets the mail sort of like push. This is how my old pcs mail worked BUT i never got charged for the text alerts from sprint BUT now i get charged.
    Wonder if this setup will give me leverage to get bumped from 500 free to unlimited for free????
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    I got the same reply.
    Me too. I heard back from them today and they said that I should have included my PCS phone number and/or account number. So I am going to reply to that email with the info they need.

So please include your account # and phone number in the email to Dan

Regards, Matt
    Here's a thought... I signed something a while back called a CONTRACT. Under the terms of that contract, I was to have been provided with a service.

Now I'm no lawyer, but by deactivating part of their service, it sounds to me that Sprint is trying to change the terms of that contract -- which puts them in breach of contract.

At the very least, it should be possible to terminate my service with no early termination fees.

Thoughts?

-c
    When clicking on an email link (name@address.com) on a web page with my Sprint Centro, the email is sent from my sprintpcs versamail account. What happens when email it is no longer supported by Sprint?
    I heard back from Sprint a second time and they are having a Super Advanced Tech call me next.
    I'll keep you updated.

Notes:
    Send them your PCS phone number and/or a contact number in the email to Dan Hesse (Dan@Sprint.com)

Some of the Sprint people I talk to don't really get/understand the SMTP deal, they think that you can get another email from one of the providers they suggested. you have to simply explain that SMTP deal to them and then they either understand, or at least know its over their head and they will get someone lese involved.

Explain that if you just used PCS Email for email, then other then a minor pain to setup email with Yahoo, Gmail and the like and sending a blanket email to eveyone that as your PCS address that you have a new one, you would be ok. Its the fact that you HAVE TO USE the PCS SMTP server to send other emails and with Buiness Connect dead, its even more important.

I told the person that I talked to that even if I never send email with my PCS email address (in other words send and receive as me@SprintPCS.com) that it would still eccect me since I use the PCS SMTP server to send other stuff. Stuff that I have been doing for years and I have to do since I am so mobile and use the phone for business too.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions...
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 08/30/2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: More info
    I recently saw the notice that Sprint PCS Mail will be discontinued on 12/31/08. Like many users, I use it with VersaMail only to send email from my POP3 email from my ISP that does not allow access to its outgoing email server (examples include Optimum Online, Comcast, Time Warner Cable's Road Runner, etc.). Does anyone know an alternative for this once Sprint PCS Mail gets discontinued?
    Using your PC, log into your Sprint Account and click on: "Got Questions? Click to Chat". Someone usually responds within a couple of minutes.

My chat was with a "Lewis" and I have copied the text where he says there will be not charge for using the Sprint Email Solution (http://www.sprint.com/landings/pcsmail/) that is shown on Sprints alternate email suggestions page.

Install Sprint Mobile Email®

"Next, if you want to send and receive emails on the go, you can install our Sprint Mobile Email®* application on your Mobile Email-capable phone. With Mobile Email, you can manage many of your personal email accounts right on your phone. Check to see if you have a Mobile Email-capable phone. If you don't, now may be the time to consider an upgrade."

Here is what Lewis from Sprint said: "Frank, there are no charges to use the no email service with the phone because you have an unlimited data plan"

And I do have an unlimited plan.

When I asked him the question about what happens when you click on an email address on a webstie, he said he was going to check for an answer. He never could get an answer for me on what happens.

I think we should hit this chat link alot until someone at Sprint answers these questions.

Let us know what answers you get.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    dans "office" called me to apologize for the ending of sprintpcs mail
    i explained the problems and how i now have yahoo send me a text when i get email etc etc... they bumped my 500 texts for free to 1500 for free so complaining does get some results.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    gmail, last of the free home of the chrome
    yahoo would likely work as well, but I agree about gmail. having an address not tied to a paid account is a great help. I've switched isp's at least three times since I got a gmail account, and never needed to worry about getting a new address.
    For those that are still following this, below is the response I received:

Dear Mr. G,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. In speaking with you today
    09-12-08 we discussed the pcs email feature being decommissioned in Dec.
    2008. I did offer you the option of using Yahoo. Windows live or Aol services. We do offer Sprint mobile work for corporate email services it is $9.99 monthly fee. I did provide you with our advance technical support number for additional assistance if needed (1-877-809-9969). It was a pleasure speaking with you. If you need further assistance feel free to call me at 757-223-3236 or you may send an email. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Lisa C.
    757-223-3236
    Sprint

So I will look at the Google option and maybe the corporate email service and see what that is all about. In addition if need to I will call them.

Anyone else found the work around that we need?
    -g-
    -g-

Talked on Friday morning with advanced support.
    Reason for my call was to remove "johndoe@sprintpcs on behalf of John Doe [john@doe.com"] from the header "from" line embedded by Sprint. I was able to do this last year, and also last month for one 800w through advanced support and was trying to do this on a second 800w.

I was told this could no longer be done and the SMTP will definitely be out in January. I was offered a $10 (per line!) alternative . lol- WTF

I think they have NO idea what a hassle this will cause them when tens of thoousands of people who are not using their sprint address for incoming, but who use the sprint SMTP on their sprint phones all of sudden have their email stop working.

it is going to cost them a pretty penny (certainly more than the smtp will cost them, which already goes to your 5gb/month!) in support calls and send their JD powers rating to a new low.
    Holy Crap!
    If this eliminates being able to use Sprint's SMTP outgoing server, there are a lot of people who will be affected. I use it with my SnapperMail.

Anyone know?

TIA
    I used to use sprints smtp server with Snappermail as well. A few weeks ago I switched to use gmail server and it is so much better. Me and my wife use snappermail as our sms app now. Sending from snapper with gmail server is as fast as our sms app. I switched because it use to take up to 12 hours for the person to receive an email sent from sprints smtp.

The only thing I am concerned about when Sprint cans the email is that they keep there 3453422385@sprintpcs.com so I can receive sms messages as sort of a push mail.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Here's a thought... I signed something a while back called a CONTRACT. Under the terms of that contract, I was to have been provided with a service.

Now I'm no lawyer, but by deactivating part of their service, it sounds to me that Sprint is trying to change the terms of that contract -- which puts them in breach of contract.

At the very least, it should be possible to terminate my service with no early termination fees.
    Possibly, unless the details of the email service was not stated in the contract. I remember a few years ago Sprint lost a lot of contracts when they changed the SMS fees and terms on everyones existing contract. That was an obvious breach of contract.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
    Possibly, unless the details of the email service was not stated in the contract. I remember a few years ago Sprint lost a lot of contracts when they changed the SMS fees and terms on everyones existing contract. That was an obvious breach of contract.
    They will have to forgo charging ETF for the 16 months or so between the announcement and implementation. The state based Attorney Generals offices which handle this type of thing love to be all over any ETF if any portion of a service is discontinued, including things of value not stated in a contract. SMTP serving has value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi View Post
    Here is a free option...
    Gmail
    you setup a free Gmail account and use their SMTP.
    You setup your other emails as verified in the Gmail settings and then you can use them (or so it seems, I am still playing with my setup).
    Here is a link to the how to:
    http://www.granneman.com/techinfo/em...ailforsmtp.htm

EIDT: It works great

I am so very happy we found a solution. Thanks for the people here and MyTreo.net
    Regards, Matt
    Burkhardi (or anyone that can help, please)
    I need some help here.

I followed the instructions you provided above and it worked well using my SnapperMail on my Centro.
    However, the recipient sees my name (xxx@gmail.com) instead of my name (xxx@cox.net).

When the recipient replies their outgoing email is addressed to xxx@cox.net. So that's works well.

Is there anyway that I can change some settings so that the recipent sees xxx@cox.net and not xxx@gmail.com?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Is there anyway that I can change some settings so that the recipent sees xxx@cox.net and not xxx@gmail.com?
    You can go to gmail settings, accounts, send mail as and specify a different reply email address.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast