Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I restored an old copy of slingshot.cf7 onto my PC and BCPE redirector works again! Sticking with the Centro for now! :-)
    I just went to bc.sprintpcs.com web-site. It seems like it is still active.
    Yep...it is. It all is. AND, I got billed a total of $649 for my new 800w and have spent a week with retention and CSR's there trying to get that fixed.

Seeing how I have been with Sprint since May of '99 you'd think these kinds of things wouldn't be so hard.
    Well I am very disappointed with this "Retirement" and until I read this post thought I was the last BCPE user out there. I also have made several phone call to Sprint and have been a continuous customer since 1999 but received no solutions at all. I get a lot of support people telling me to use "Good Link", however they do not hear me tell them I do not have a corporate exchange server.

I loved the way BCPE would "push" calendar and emails, have access to contacts and the great feature of accessing my PC to attach pdf files to outgoing emails. Why go backwards in technologies?

As long as I can remember I have owned a palm based PDA starting with the Palm III working my way to what I now have, Centro and 755P and have loved their progress and size. Now I am looking at the dreaded Iphone switching carriers to AT&T and a G3 account that will cost me $80.00 more each month for the same applications I am currently using. There is a service called Mobileme ( http://www.apple.com/mobileme/ ) that will do the same thing for more $ with a larger device. Go figure?

In my conversations with Sprint I have learned to ask for "Advance Technical Support" but for some unknown reason I get disconnected just as they transfer me over. One time a man Casey said he would transfer me to a MR. CARLS but too got disconnected. I believe MR. CARLS may have the answer we are all looking for. Maybe a Beta replacement service?
    I know it's supposed to continue until 1 Jan., but for the life of me I can't get the desktop redirector to connect to the server as of this morning. Anyone else having the same problem?

Maybe they changed the date of decomm for 15 Sep. for personal edition users.
    Out here on the West Coast. BCPE is not working (2 computers, 2 accounts). Nothing but a 'red' smile from the connect icon. Tried to reset the computer and it did not help.
    I also cannot get the desktop redirector to connect to the server as of this morning? Looks like even though I was told from top tier tech support that they would not cut off current legacy users, they are indeed doing so. Nothing new for Sprint...the right hand not having any clue as to what the left hand is doing?!

Does anyone have any suggestions on a work around/alternative BCPE solution?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Hello! I don't own a Treo (I have a blackberry) but this seems to be the only current thread where the business connection retirement is being discussed!

Bcpe is far superior to other people's goodlink access, and my company's corporate blackberry exchange because to access BES they force an IT policy on your phone that locks it. NOT what I want on my personal blackberry! Bcpe allows full access from any computer or my phone because it is just a web page, and it only pulls the data ON DEMAND when I load the page - not by pushing notifications and email constantly!

Anyway, I don't need to sell it to you guys. I'm in the same boat of looking for alternatives. Sprint's alternatives are not acceptible to me: Only BES for blackberry users, and Goodlink for other supported phones. I need another backdoor alternative, and would gladly keep paying $5 a month for it!

I will keep looking, and update here if I find something, but I'm not holding out much hope. I thought I had more time as a rep from sprint last month said the service would actually stay active until 12/31, not 9/1. As of yesterday, its looking like they lied....
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Yep, my BCPE redirector won't connect today either. And the bc.sprintpcs.com website is down. The note had specified 9/1/08, so it looks like they "gave" us 2 weeks grace period. Argh. It seems like a BB is in my near future...
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Bit the bullet and just ordered a BlackBerry Curve. Not having my work e-mail on my phone is killing me. We're a Lotus Notes shop, so no EAS or WinMo device for me! It's been a fun 10 year ride, PalmOS!

PalmPilot Pro --> Palm V --> Palm Vx --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Centro --> BB Curve (!)
    Yeah we confirmed BC has died. bc.sprintpcs.com is gone as well.

I've been told that Sprint will be releasing something in the future by some kind folks with such knowledge. The part that's upsetting is that anyone that depended on BC on a pre E2K environment is basically forced to dump any palm based product for either a BB or Win based one from Sprint. You'd think Palm could have helped in halting such a move.

BTW, for those keeping score, Sprint reps did finally get my full cost 800w dropped down to the agreed on price.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laphta View Post
    Sprint reps did finally get my full cost 800w dropped down to the agreed on price.
    Good luck with your 800w! May I ask why you went that route versus BB? As much as I love Palm, I feel they "sold out" with the 700wx and 800w. It's like Apple shipping a machine preinstalled with Windows Vista and putting a Windows key on their keyboard.

I hope this BB (or WinMo) experiment for us BCPE users is short-lived and that Palm Nova can give us some Lotus Notes or Exchange 5.5 lovin'!
    I'm just a big'ol Palm dork and love the form factor of the Treo Communicators.
    Last edited by laphta; 09/19/2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: found my original posting
    Here's the answer to everyone's problems: support.sprint.com/doc/sp11890.xml?selectedDeviceId=8899&related=y&Referring%20Related%20DocID%20List%20Index=4&docid=9971& navtypeid=6&pagetypeid=7&prevPageIndex=3

You may have to copy and paste the above link into your web browser, as I'm getting the following lame message which is not allowing me to post a link: "To be able to post links or images your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 1 posts. Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post."

This is Sprint Mobile Email WORK. I have a 755p and this works exactly like the old BCPE, only better because the 755p is supported!

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgonzales View Post
    Here's the answer to everyone's problems: support.sprint.com/doc/sp11890.xml?selectedDeviceId=8899&related=y&Referring%20Related%20DocID%20List%20Index=4&docid=9971& navtypeid=6&pagetypeid=7&prevPageIndex=3

This is Sprint Mobile Email WORK. I have a 755p and this works exactly like the old BCPE, only better because the 755p is supported!
    Yes, Sprint Mobile Email Work does let you sync your email to your Outlook Exchange server. However, it does NOT sync to the Outlook client on your desktop like the old BCPE did.

If you use SpamBayes on the Outlook client to remove spam, the de-spammed email could be sent to your Treo or other phone with the old BCPE. Similarly with the old BCPE, the contacts and calendar on your Outlook client could be sent to your phone.
    Last edited by Wilw; 09/27/2008 at 11:43 AM.
    Wilw-

Mobile email WORK actually does sync to the Outlook client on your desktop EXACTLY like the old BCPE used to do. The phone interface (I'm using the 755p) and everything looks and feels exactly the same, except instead of seeing "BCPE" accross the top, you see "Desktop Connector." I have my calander, contacts, email, documents and all working exactly how the old BCPE had functioned using the desktop redirector application. Give it a try and you'll see! Good luck.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345