Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    Hosted Exchange and then what? Now I'm out another $60/year and still don't have a comparable way (to BC) of syncing my Treo.
    Hosted Exchange with Exchange ActiveSync. That way, you'll get push e-mail, just like BlackBerry or ChatterMail + IMAP IDLE. However, you'll have to entrust your contacts and calendar to the Exchange server since enabling EAS on PalmOS seems to force calendar/contacts/mail to all sync via EAS.
    You all can try signing up for the beta versiom of Seven email. The forum is at http://community.seven.com

The seven beta has the same features as bizconn.
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    Hosted Exchange with Exchange ActiveSync. That way, you'll get push e-mail, just like BlackBerry or ChatterMail + IMAP IDLE. However, you'll have to entrust your contacts and calendar to the Exchange server since enabling EAS on PalmOS seems to force calendar/contacts/mail to all sync via EAS.
    Cheapest I've come across for Hosted Exchange is $10 a month. I'd rather switch to a Blackberry rather than spend another $120/year to do what BC did. I think there is a way to push email from Outlook to a BB without Exchange.

If I decide to use Hosted Exchange will I still have a local pst with all my data?

How do I migrate all the rules and filters and data I have on my desktop to the hosted server? Seems like switching over would be painful at first.
    Assuming you are using Outlook, it should be carried over directly.

You do know that the Blackberry Connect service is also about the same cost so that should be a wash between those two chocies.
  5. jbh
    With BCPE dying soon I have today gone back to using SEVEN beta for my 700p. I'm using SEVEN.PRC version 6.5.6.284 but it has many features that do not work with the 700p.

I have several versions of SEVEN.PRC in the 6.7.0.000 series; but it is a memory hog and IMO does not work as well as the 6.5.0.000 series. Hence my desire and request for SEVEN.PRC in the 6.6.0.000 series.

If you happen to have a SEVEN.PRC file in the version 6.6.0.000 series, please kindly email me at jbhbah at yahoo dot com.

Thanks much.
    John
    John B Harris
    Quote Originally Posted by jbh View Post
    With BCPE dying soon I have today gone back to using SEVEN beta for my 700p. I'm using SEVEN.PRC version 6.5.6.284 but it has many features that do not work with the 700p.

I have several versions of SEVEN.PRC in the 6.7.0.000 series; but it is a memory hog and IMO does not work as well as the 6.5.0.000 series. Hence my desire and request for SEVEN.PRC in the 6.6.0.000 series.

If you happen to have a SEVEN.PRC file in the version 6.6.0.000 series, please kindly email me at jbhbah at yahoo dot com.

Thanks much.
    John
    There was no 6.6 version for the beta system. It went from 6.5 to 6.7. There was a 6.6 version of Sprint Business Connection that was based on 6.5 beta. In my opinion, one of the best palm clients. It didn't work on the 755 or Centro though.

The server is hard coded into the software, so you can't use the Sprint version on the Seven beta servers unless you hack it.
    Even if you have found a temporary workaround with a Seven beta, please write Sprint and express your dissatisfaction with this abrupt cancellation of Business Connection. As other posts have noted, BC users have been among the most loyal and longstanding of Sprint customers. We have purchased some of the most expensive phones Sprint sells. They have pulled the plug on corporate email access, presumably a key need for most pda users, and do not provide Palm users ANY viable substitute.

Indeed, even if we were to upgrade our phones, the suggested "solution" provided by Sprint customer care,there is not a single PDA-phone on which Sprint Mobile Email Work is currently available. Would you want to purchase a new phone and renew your Sprint contract with an expensive new data plan without some assurance that you will be able to access your email? Would you want to do so knowing that they could arbitrarily drop support for your phone at any time?

If you are like me, you have lost untold hours over the past few weeks trying to find a solution that will ensure uninterrupted access to your email. Convey your frustration to Sprint:
    dan@sprint.com
    Dan Hesse President and CEO---nice form letter came back saying he will investigate but will take some time. Noted someone from HQ will call me to discuss. Yeah right--to late.

I have Versamail on Treo 650--I guess will try to make this work,.
    Hello,

I don't understand the problem. Sprint's new Mobile Email should work on your existing Treo 650 phone. It should sync in real time with Microsoft Outlook on your desktop, just like BCPE. They are both made by SEVEN. In fact the Sprint Mobile Email version information says it is "Sprint Mobile Email for Palm" version 6.7.4. Download Mobile Email to your Treo 650. Once it downloads and installs, hopefully, you will be fine. Once the download installs, your Treo 650 will automatically be using Sprint Mobile Email instead. You won't be using BCPE. Mobile Email looks and feels very much like BCPE. It's important to keep the "desktop connector" you already have on Windows. Mobile Email remembers your password and everything.

I downloaded Sprint Mobile Email version 6.7.4 last night to my Treo 650. Today, it syncs up in real time with Microsoft Outlook on my desktop, like BCPE did.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you.
    Wilw raises an interesting point. Does basic SME include access to corporate email via the desktop director? The initial description of these services on the Sprint website suggested that it did most definitely did not:

"Sprint Mobile Email allows simplified access to your favorite personal email providers including Yahoo!, AOL, Gmail, and MSN/Hotmail on the go through your phone. You can have up to three email accounts for viewing at once on Java phones and unlimited email accounts on BREW phones.

Sprint Mobile Email WORK allows you to access your personal email and your corporate email on your phone. You can receive email from Microsoft Exchange 2000, 2003, 2007 and Lotus Notes Domino versions 6.0, 6.5 and 7.0 using the desktop redirector software."

However, a new search today (buried deep in the support pages) suggested that SME does, in fact, support desktop direction.
    http://support.sprint.com/doc/sp1146...evPageIndex=15

So thanks for the clarification, Wilw. (Seems Sprint might do a better job of this themselves). Of course, my phone is not compatible with even SME, so I am still SOL....
    As a very happy Business connection person, I went ahead enabled Versamail so I could review before the 9/1 expiration date of BC. I immediatly noticed how less featured this product is than Sprint BC. I immediatly called Sprint and Kelly in Advanced Tech support was great to work with. She walked me through the upgrade to 3.1F and told 3.5 would not do me any good. I see no difference so not sure what the upgrade did for me. I told her I live on the road and need the calender function but we could not get it to work where you accept a calender invite that is embedded in a email. She siad Versamail does not look to support this function--wow!

Bottom line we both agreed I needed to upgrade to 755p and she was very apolgetic. She stated this is not the reason "she thought" that BC was retired. She said no one really uses it much anymore. Well I am a small business owner and I do. In any case, I will be looking at a 755p--wanted to get one anyhow and live for now with Versamail simple email features.

So Veramail works but a step back in time for mobil email compared to Sprint BCS
    You may have known about, or received an email on your PCS account about Sprint killing the Sprint PCS email service on 12/31/08.

If you use an email client like Snapper, Chatter, Mobile Email and such to send emails from a third source (e.g. Time Warner Road Runner, Comcast, etc) you will be dead in the water.

Most email providers will not let you send emails from a server other then their own. The work around for years is/was to use the PCS Email SMTP server, username and password.

I called Advanced Tech support at Sprint today and they said, "yes, they are going to turn it all off and there is no plans right now to keep the SMTP server running or give us a new one".

The person I talked to said for all of us (that means you) to email Dan Hesse at Sprint and ask him to do something.

Here is the email I sent to Dan at Dan@Sprint.com

Please do the same, thanks, Matt

Dan,

It was announced that Sprint will terminate the PCS Mail service (username@SprintPCS.com) on December 31st 2008, part of this shutdown will also effect people that use the SMTP sever to ‘relay’ email from Road Runner and other email services who have been doing this for years.

Please leave the SMTP server running or allow us to access another one (see below for details)

Terminating the ability to use/get PCS mail is one thing, we understand you have to save money and there are other options if you were just using it for mail and not relaying (e.g. Hotmail, Gmail etc).

However, users that use the PCS SMTP server to relay email (e.g. Time Warner Road Runner, Comcast, etc) will find out quickly on 1-1-09 that they can no longer do that they had/have been doing for years. Unlike the main part of the PCS email that can have a workaround (Gmail, hotmail and such), these users will be dead in the water.

Many Sprint PCS users use the PCS mail’s SMTP server to “relay’ emails to customer, family and friends.

In closing, please keep the PCS Mail SMTP (smtp.sprintpcs.com) server running or give us another one we can use.

Kindest Regards, Matt Burkhard

Details:
    Many email providers will not let you relay emails (send their emails on a different server then their own (for spam and authenticity reasons). I can only speak about the provider I use, but other email providers are the same way, many, many Palm Treo owners use this feature.

There are no issues with using an email client (e.g. Mobile Email, Snapper Mail, Chatter Mail, Palm Mail) to receive the mail (via the providers POP3 server), but when they try to send and email from that same providers SMTP server, they get a kickback saying that they do not allow this. The solution for years as been to change the outgoing SMTP server in your setup, to the PCS Email SMTP SERVER (smtp.sprintpcs.com) and to use your PCS Email user name and password to do so. This was all done transparent to the person getting the email, so they were able to respond with out issue and it was seamless, streamlined and worked for years. When Sprint shuts down PCS Email in December, not only will be loose PCS email, but it will also cripple many other email uses.
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 08/26/2008 at 03:16 PM.
    I downloaded the sprint mobil email as you suggested and your right this all works as before eliminating my need for Sprint BCS. Can you clarify if this is still bounce email where my PC must always be on to relay or will emails now come directly from our company exchange server. My guess is this is still a relay service and if my PC is offline I will not get the emails. So need to investigate in set up if I can change the settings for our email exchange system bypassing the bouncing from my desktop to my 650. Le me know your thoughts

Thanks a lot for the post. Versamail was so not good since it was so old.
    ok I see where I can set up a new pop account. Essentially set one up to our exchange server so the emails go directly to Treo 650 vs pc first. Actually looks like I can use the director which saves a copy of sent emails on my PC. If for some reason my PC stops working, I can still send/receive email from the pop account. Sorry to sound like a newbie but I just use the technology for my job and not normally worry about how it all works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi View Post
    You may have known about, or received an email on your PCS account about Sprint killing the Sprint PCS email service on 12/31/08.

If you use an email client like Snapper, Chatter, Mobile Email and such to send emails from a third source (e.g. Time Warner Road Runner, Comcast, etc) you will be dead in the water.

Most email providers will not let you send emails from a server other then their own. The work around for years is/was to use the PCS Email SMTP server, username and password.
    This is not completely true. I use Chatter and am able to send emails from my Verizon and Worldnet accounts with no problems. If your ISP supports SSL you will be fine.
    If you look at the title of this thread and content of Burkhardi's post, this is about Sprint, not Verizon.
    I got a notification in my email saying Ronbo had posted to this thread but it's nowhere to be found. Odd. Here is what the email said he posted:
    Here is the message that has just been posted:
    If you look at the title of this thread and content of Burkhardi's post, this is about Sprint, not Verizon.
    My reply:
    Uh, yeah. I know. I have Sprint. By Verizon account I meant Verizon DSL. I do read all threads throughly before adding to them.
    Yeah but they are talking about Sprint dropping PCS email services on Dec. 31, 2008 and your phone email access via Sprint using the Sprint PCS email.

Sure, your Verizon DSL, Comcast Broadband, etc. will still work as well as your direct access to your email accounts on those ISPs will continue to work but if you subscribe to Sprint for email, will your Sprint PCS email service work past Dec. 31, 2008?
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrydann View Post
    I downloaded the sprint mobil email as you suggested and your right this all works as before eliminating my need for Sprint BCS. Can you clarify if this is still bounce email where my PC must always be on to relay or will emails now come directly from our company exchange server. My guess is this is still a relay service and if my PC is offline I will not get the emails. So need to investigate in set up if I can change the settings for our email exchange system bypassing the bouncing from my desktop to my 650. Le me know your thoughts

Thanks a lot for the post. Versamail was so not good since it was so old.
    Yes, in addition to syncing to your Microsoft Outlook Desktop, the Mobile Email on your Treo 650 can also access email from other services. In fact, it can access email from multiple services. To do this, go to the Sprint Mobile Email main menu on your Treo 650, click on the "ACCOUNT MANAGER: Add, modify or delete services" icon at the bottom, then click on the the "Add Account" icon, then choose from AOL Mail, AIM Mail, Yahoo Mail, Gmail, Hotmail, Other POP, Other IMAP, etc. Of course, you can delete as well as add email services.
    Last edited by Wilw; 08/27/2008 at 12:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Yeah but they are talking about Sprint dropping PCS email services on Dec. 31, 2008 and your phone email access via Sprint using the Sprint PCS email.

Sure, your Verizon DSL, Comcast Broadband, etc. will still work as well as your direct access to your email accounts on those ISPs will continue to work but if you subscribe to Sprint for email, will your Sprint PCS email service work past Dec. 31, 2008?
    One of us is completely misunderstanding, and maybe it's me. My posts were in response to someone who said without Sprint PCS email, sending emails would be impossible because ISP's don't allow their SMTP servers to be accessed remotely, and PCS mail was the workaround. I was simply pointing out that you don't necessarily need Sprint's email service to send emails-if your ISP supports SSL you'll be able to send email just fine.

Hope I made things a little clearer.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast