Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Is the Seven beta closed or can I still get into it? Are they using Seven's own servers, avoiding the shutdown of Sprint's servers?
    you can go to http://community.seven.com and get a login/password to the forums. Then go to the Palm forum. There is a thread where you can request beta access. Not sure if they are still allowing users.
    okay...

what's the difference between SME and bizcon?
    Sprint Mobile Email connects to Yahoo, gmail, POP, IMAP etc..

Bizcon connects to Exchange and Lotus email.

Sprint Mobile Email Work seems to be the same thing as Bizconn but doesn't seem to be available except for a few phones (non-palm) right now.

Seven makes all of these products for Sprint.
    Two days and three calls later, I've pulled the trigger on a Treo 800w.

Sprint is giving me the web price with no need to mail-in, for my existing line affected. So, $249 for the 800w. Teh company I work for will get that bill too. I had the option of a BB Curve for $149, but I'm too much a Treo fan for that.

However, I did have to extend my contract...no worries, I've been with Sprint for many MANY moons anyway.

The final CSR I spoke with was told that they are aware BC is going away, but they will have no real game plan in place until a few days before Sept. 1.

This means, it's possible a person may stand a chance to completely walk away from a contract given the particular circumstances. OR...use it to leverage a better deal. I might have been able to push that point today for myself, but I have x4 lines and enjoy the bandwidth on Sprint much too much to bail completely. Plus, after a year with the Centro I think it was time I return to a more funtional form factor for my hands.

So...that's just a heads-up for those of us Palm freaks having to either jump ship or select a new device on Sprint because of Business Connect going away.
    Here is a word-for-word Nonresponse from Sprint!

Thank you for contacting Sprint. I apologize for the inconvenience you
    have experienced due to shutdown of Business Connection Personal
    Edition.

I am sorry that we cannot do anything about this decision. However, we
    do provide other email options like Windows Mobile or BlackBerry.

Further, if your current handsets are not compatible with these
    services, then you can upgrade your phones. All lines except line #8635
    are eligible rebate. You can purchase new handsets at online price with
    a new two-year agreement on each line.

Please visit Sprint Store and our representative will demonstrate you
    the new handsets.

Thank you again for contacting Sprint. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,
    Valentin V.
    Sprint
    For Tech Legal or Cybercrime Help visit http://centrallaw.com
    Yeah I had to bite on that because I can't risk an outage of my business email. They did also honor the additional $100 mail-in...so got an 800w for $249 flat with the contract renewal and no trade in needed. Guess I'll be posting my less than a year old Centro on eBay soon.

I had 3 calls with CSR's and the third finally told me they have no gameplan in place yet. And likely won't until a few days before the 1st.
    so.. how does the 800w help you with email?

It's just a different phone on a different platform. Or is there some app that works with email better then a Centro?

My company uses Exchange 2003. We have Outlook Web Access, but they don't have Exchange activesync turned on.
    I'm told we have success using Blackberry Connect on a few Win devices around here.

Worse case scenario, I'll see if the SEVEN solution for Win products can slingshot my stuff from Exchange like BC used to.

I'll know more tomorrow when I receive the 800w.

I'm still miffed about leaving a Palm product. Going to have to replace all my applications with comperable stuff...not fun.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Guess I'll hold out until the 1st ... which is Labor Day anyway, so I guess I won't concern myself until the 2nd! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by krock View Post
    yes, I am currently attempting to get the 6.7 prc to see if I can use it OWA or via the desktop redirector, which is of course what I use currently with BCEE.
    I would be highly interested in this.
    Has anyone found an alternative to Sprint Business Connection?

I've looked at the links provided by Sprint and they don't replace the function of BC - not using anything that I can control within my company's technology landscape.

Years ago I heard there was going to be a Blackberry client app for the Treo. does it exist and can I install and enable it w/o involving my corp IT team (we are already a Blackberry shop, I just don't want one)?
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    BlackBerry Connect was only for the Cingular/AT&T Treo 650 and Treo 680. No one's ever been able to get it to work on any other PalmOS Treo.
    I'm miffed like many of you. BC Personal Edition is the single application that kept me tied to Sprint. Sounds like most of you are using an Exchange server, but I just have Outlook running on my PC which keeps my email, calendar, contacts and even documents synced and available to me from my Treo.

What is the Seven OWA 6.7 Beta that I've heard mentioned several times in this thread? Is this only for Exchange or will it work with Outlook like BC Personal did?

Does anyone know of an alternative with Sprint or any other carrier?

My requirements are a touchscreen, physical keyboard and ability to live sync my cellphone to my desktop PC (without Exchange). If there are any third party apps that I can use with my 755p I'm open to giving them a try.

Thanks in advance for any help!!! I'm feeling rather screwed by Sprint at the moment and with only a couple of weeks before the kill date I don't have a ton of free time to figure out a backup plan.
    Where does your Outlook client get the email from. It has to talk to a server somewhere (IMAP/POP,....)?

Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    I'm miffed like many of you. BC Personal Edition is the single application that kept me tied to Sprint. Sounds like most of you are using an Exchange server, but I just have Outlook running on my PC which keeps my email, calendar, contacts and even documents synced and available to me from my Treo.

What is the Seven OWA 6.7 Beta that I've heard mentioned several times in this thread? Is this only for Exchange or will it work with Outlook like BC Personal did?

Does anyone know of an alternative with Sprint or any other carrier?

My requirements are a touchscreen, physical keyboard and ability to live sync my cellphone to my desktop PC (without Exchange). If there are any third party apps that I can use with my 755p I'm open to giving them a try.

Thanks in advance for any help!!! I'm feeling rather screwed by Sprint at the moment and with only a couple of weeks before the kill date I don't have a ton of free time to figure out a backup plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by mark3397 View Post
    Where does your Outlook client get the email from. It has to talk to a server somewhere (IMAP/POP,....)?
    Outlook gets my email from a POP server.

But I use a client-side email filtering program that knocks out spam and sorts my email into different folders (I use POPFile which I very highly recommend).

BC is great for me because it only syncs with my Outlook Inbox after all the filtering has taken place. I definitely don't want anything that would sync my Treo directly with my email server because I get WAY too much junk mail. Plus that doesn't keep my calendar, contacts or documents synced.

BC was near-perfect for me.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho View Post
    Outlook gets my email from a POP server.

But I use a client-side email filtering program that knocks out spam and sorts my email into different folders (I use POPFile which I very highly recommend).

BC is great for me because it only syncs with my Outlook Inbox after all the filtering has taken place. I definitely don't want anything that would sync my Treo directly with my email server because I get WAY too much junk mail. Plus that doesn't keep my calendar, contacts or documents synced.

BC was near-perfect for me.
    What about hosted Exchange? I think they run $5/mo and provide spam filtering for you. I gave up on client-side filtering years ago when I realized the pros do it way better. I'm on Lotus Notes which means my only alternative may be a BlackBerry.
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    What about hosted Exchange? I think they run $5/mo and provide spam filtering for you. I gave up on client-side filtering years ago when I realized the pros do it way better. I'm on Lotus Notes which means my only alternative may be a BlackBerry.
    Hosted Exchange and then what? Now I'm out another $60/year and still don't have a comparable way (to BC) of syncing my Treo.

What about going with Windows Mobile? Is there something comparable to BC on the Windows Mobile platform that will keep my phone synced in real time with my desktop Outlook? I hate to go the Windows route but there may be no other option. And as much as I hate giving more business to Microsoft, my parting ways with Palm/Handspring/PalmOne is long overdue. I've been loyal to them for many years (largely in part due to my reliance on BC) but they've fallen so far behind that they hardly deserve my continued loyalty. The way RIM has evolved their platform puts Palm to shame with their minimal incremental "upgrades."

I too almost gave up on client-side filtering until I discovered POPFile. It's unreal. And it's so much more powerful than just spam filtering. I have it filter personal email, work email, spam, etc. and it does it with close to 100% accuracy. It's open source and can be a bit of a pain to set up because the documentation is still pitiful after many years. But it's incredibly accurate. (If I've motivated anyone to try it I also recommend a free Outlook plugin called Pocketknife Peek which is a great complement to POPFile.)
    I moved to a Treo800w but have found that our Exchange is 5.5 (OUCH!) so I may not even get to use SEVEN. Though...you may. SEVEN created BC, and their product and support is wicked nice...you should look into it.

As an added kick in the melon, I installed the Blackberry Connect .cab from an HTC Diamond (easy enough) and called Sprint to setup a BBC account. Apparently every csr at Sprint feels Blackberry ANYTHING can only work on a Blackberry device. Even ignoring the HTC products that have BBC installed. UGH!

/me just can't win!
    Quote Originally Posted by laphta View Post
    I moved to a Treo800w but have found that our Exchange is 5.5 (OUCH!) so I may not even get to use SEVEN. Though...you may. SEVEN created BC, and their product and support is wicked nice...you should look into it.

As an added kick in the melon, I installed the Blackberry Connect .cab from an HTC Diamond (easy enough) and called Sprint to setup a BBC account. Apparently every csr at Sprint feels Blackberry ANYTHING can only work on a Blackberry device. Even ignoring the HTC products that have BBC installed. UGH!

/me just can't win!
    Will Seven sync with a desktop installation of Outlook (no Exchange)?

Man BC was so awesome, it created a little mini Exchange server for me and, even better, allowed me to access documents on my computer too.

Does BBC also require Exchange or can it work with an individual Outlook install like BC did?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast