1.    #1  
    So I've had my 650 (well, several 650s as they like to die) for around three years now. Even with all its quirks, it's the best phone I've ever had.

But I wanted a better camera and EVDO, so I've been eyeing the venerable 700p. Two weeks ago, on a whim, I called Sprint to see what kind of a deal could be had. I talked to a very nice American lady with an easy-to-understand accent and here is what went down:

Me: I'd like to keep my plan exactly the same (it rocks!), plus free EVDO, I want the 700p for free.

Her: Sure can do, no problemo. Plus we'll give you a $70 service credit for re-signing for 2 years. Lemme see if I have a 700p in stock. *check* Woo, sorry, no 700p's in stock. How about a 755 for $200 after MIR?

Me: No thanks, but note my account, I'll try to find a 700p on eBay.

Her: Account noted, just call back when you get one.

So I troll eBay for a while and find an auction that just opened for a 700p in VG condition, $89 shipped. Great feedback, etc. I Buy It Now.

It arrives today. Front has a few scrapes, no more than my 650. Screen is 99.9% good (a smallish dark spot, not a dead pixel in the lower center, I'll get over it).

So I play with it for a while, make sure my favorite apps convert over to the 700p, all is well. So I phone Sprint

I get a foreigner, but I can understand him.

He sees the notation. I ask for more roaming minutes, he gives me 100 (up from 50) for free. But! $70 offer is gone. Now it's only $50.

Me: Try harder.

Him: I'll transfer you.

New Guy: What can I help you with.

Me: *explains everything*

New Guy: Oh, I can't help you with either of those, sorry.

Me: *click*

I call back, knowing full well how Sprint works. One person says no. The other person says sure, no problem.

I get a black dude out of Indiana who sounds either drunk or exhausted.

Me: *explains everything since two weeks ago up to 5 seconds ago.*

Indy Drunk: $70? 100 roaming? Sure man.

Me: Why couldn't the other guy(s) do this?

Indy Drunk: No idea.

So he goes through all the motions, puts me on hold for a seriously long time while he works, but in the end gets it done.

So, end result:

$89 for eBay Treo. $70 bill credit = $19 Treo 700p

My plan: 750 anytime. Unlimited Nights/Weekends at 7p. Free Sprint-to-Sprint. Free EVDO. Free SMS/PicMail/Etc. 100 roaming minutes. $40 + tax.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    Yeah, I jump up and down too until I get the next bill.

Sometimes takes a couple of billing cycles to get everything right but you do get it in the end.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    I too have a 650 that I'd love to upgrade, but I don't want to lose my old grandfathered plan just to get higher memory and faster transfer rates. I have...
    2000 shared minutes
    2 lines
    free 9pm night/wkend/text/picmail/unlimited vision
    $10 free download credit
    $100 (total bill is $85 after corporate discount)

Sounds like some ppl transfer from the 650 fine with the grandfathered plans, and some don't. I hate to take that chance, but EVDO is calling everytime I use my Blackberry.

Darrell
    Last edited by tayl428; 06/04/2008 at 02:40 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Yeah, I jump up and down too until I get the next bill.

Sometimes takes a couple of billing cycles to get everything right but you do get it in the end.
    Update:

My first bill since the swap arrived a week ago. It was $194!!!

After careful inspection, I was charged $.002 per KB for like 64MB of data. Also was charge $32 for Long Distance Roaming.

I call in and talk to some lady. She says that I was never given Unlimited Vision but if I buy it for $15/mo they'll give me 50% off my $192 bill.

I tell her there is no way I resigned my contract w/o having Unlimited Vision in the first place. That was the whole point of getting a new phone.

She says they gave me Casual Vision, not unlimited. I tell her this is completely wrong.

She quickly and politely transfers me to Retention.

I get a nice Indian dude who immediately fixes everything. Vision fees gone. Roaming fees gone. Unl Power Vision (re)added. Bill is not $24.

We'll see what happens next month.

-Nick.
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Hope it's good!
  6.    #6  
    Well, my next month's bill I was charged for pro-rated Data useage and again some Long Distance While Roaming minutes.

Another call to Sprint and they were fixed in minutes. She also gave me free unlimited roaming to quelch any further problems.

I'm happy (although not with their discontinuation of Sprint PCS Mail, see my other thread).

-Nick.
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by theleetbeagle View Post
    So I've had my 650 (well, several 650s as they like to die) for around three years now. Even with all its quirks, it's the best phone I've ever had.

But I wanted a better camera and EVDO, so I've been eyeing the venerable 700p. Two weeks ago, on a whim, I called Sprint to see what kind of a deal could be had. I talked to a very nice American lady with an easy-to-understand accent and here is what went down:

Me: I'd like to keep my plan exactly the same (it rocks!), plus free EVDO, I want the 700p for free.

Her: Sure can do, no problemo. Plus we'll give you a $70 service credit for re-signing for 2 years. Lemme see if I have a 700p in stock. *check* Woo, sorry, no 700p's in stock. How about a 755 for $200 after MIR?

Me: No thanks, but note my account, I'll try to find a 700p on eBay.

Her: Account noted, just call back when you get one.

So I troll eBay for a while and find an auction that just opened for a 700p in VG condition, $89 shipped. Great feedback, etc. I Buy It Now.

It arrives today. Front has a few scrapes, no more than my 650. Screen is 99.9% good (a smallish dark spot, not a dead pixel in the lower center, I'll get over it).

So I play with it for a while, make sure my favorite apps convert over to the 700p, all is well. So I phone Sprint

I get a foreigner, but I can understand him.

He sees the notation. I ask for more roaming minutes, he gives me 100 (up from 50) for free. But! $70 offer is gone. Now it's only $50.

Me: Try harder.

Him: I'll transfer you.

New Guy: What can I help you with.

Me: *explains everything*

New Guy: Oh, I can't help you with either of those, sorry.

Me: *click*

I call back, knowing full well how Sprint works. One person says no. The other person says sure, no problem.

I get a black dude out of Indiana who sounds either drunk or exhausted.

Me: *explains everything since two weeks ago up to 5 seconds ago.*

Indy Drunk: $70? 100 roaming? Sure man.

Me: Why couldn't the other guy(s) do this?

Indy Drunk: No idea.

So he goes through all the motions, puts me on hold for a seriously long time while he works, but in the end gets it done.

So, end result:

$89 for eBay Treo. $70 bill credit = $19 Treo 700p

My plan: 750 anytime. Unlimited Nights/Weekends at 7p. Free Sprint-to-Sprint. Free EVDO. Free SMS/PicMail/Etc. 100 roaming minutes. $40 + tax.
    Wow..not only are you a rude and demanding customer, but you can tell someone's race just by the sound of their voice?
  8.    #8  
    Heh, there's always one.

Where was I rude? When I wrote *click*? Sorry, let me make it more accurate:

"Okay, thanks. *click*"

And why yes, I can tell certain races from the sound of their voice. Many people can. Ever called a call center and immediately realized you were talking to a native of India?

But I guess I'm just a racist with an awesome plan because I'm so demanding.
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by SueWalsh623 View Post
    Wow..not only are you a rude and demanding customer, but you can tell someone's race just by the sound of their voice?
    Not rude or racist, perhaps just a little insensitive. You didn't mention the race of the first woman "her". You only mentioned race or "foreigner" when there was a negative connotation. Either they were drunk, or screwed up your account. Unintentional on your part I'm sure.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Then recognizing a female's voice on the phone would then be sexist?
    I don't buy it. I come from a very diverse city. I've learned to recognize many dialects. Not only can I *usually* pick up on a Hispanic accent, I can tell if they are Mexican, or Puerto Rican. I can tell if they are Chinese, or Korean. Canadians are even easier. That's how I found out Comcast outsourced.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Wow, not only did you call him out, but you needlessly quoted his entire post to do so...