1.    #1  
    When my 755p acts up once in a while and I need to spend hours finding out what happened and getting it back to its stable state, I can't stop thinking about switching to the stability of a BB.

My research indicates that the BB has nothing to compare to 2day and even Chatter is a better e-mail client for push than a BB (assuming your server handles IMAP IDLE).

But, my biggest concern is the cost. How do you guys (the ones that switched) justify the huge cost increase? I have 5 treo's on a family Plan. Data cost is $15/each (at most as some are grandfathered in at a $10 price). BB BES (which I would get) is $40/month. That is $25 each more per month or over $1,500/year. That is not including the cost of BES Professional which is about $500 for 5 users.

Knowing that BBs use a NOC only makes it harder to consider a BB. If anything, I would look at a Q9C ot at least wait for the 800w. How do you guys justify such a high cost for a BB?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quite frankly I can't justify paying that much more for a blackberry. My first smartphone was a blackberry and I thouth it was a godsend, until I discovered the treo and found out all that I was missing. Blackberrys are pretty much good at one thing and that is push email (really only good if you don't have access to an IMAP server with IDLE). The web browser (at least back when I had one) is crap blazer IMO is much better. Then of course theres the lack of software and linux support. Oh and don't forget the lack of a touch screen. Then again it mine did have built in GPS.

With a treo you get a very well rounded smartphone. It may not be the best at one thing, but it does everything well. With all the software out there you can come close to making it the best in everything.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Let us face it... BBs are good for clueless corporate types with loads of money, so any argument would be useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Let us face it... BBs are good for clueless corporate types with loads of money, so any argument would be useless.

I would trade a no lifer tweaking Treo type to be a clueless corporate with loads of money any day...I'd be playing with much bigger toys then.
    at&t iPhone3G
    If you compare what you get it's actually about the same cost.

$15 Treo data plan: unlimited data

$30 Blackberry data plan: unlimited data, unlimited text, unlimited Sprint GPS navigation

Since I use GPS navigation, text, and data then it is a no brainer for me. For someone who only uses data then it is a small difference.
  6.    #6  
    Compare a Treo to a Q9c to a BB Curve. GPS is free on all of them it just depends on the device and whether it has GPS. The $30 BB plan is not for BES. I don't know abt the texts though.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    I just switched my son from a Sammy flip to a BB Curve on Sprint with BIS. Basically replaced the Sprint PowerVision plan ($15) and unlimited text ($8) with Power Vision Blackberry Plan ($30) which is unlimited data and text plus Sprint Nav, Sprint TV, Sprint Radio. Since I also removed TEP ($7), it was basically a wash.

I did basically the same thing when I went from a 700p to a Curve but went with BES ($39) which cost $9 more than I was paying before for unl data and text. Fortunately my employer pays for BES, but even still not a big diff when you consider the Sprint Nav is thrown in as well.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  8.    #8  
    I looked online. BES is $40 not $39 (I know, minor). But I also don't see how it includes unlimited text. There is an option there for $10 for unlimited text. I just don't get the huge cost difference and the fact that you have to go through a NOC.

I think RIM has done a fantastic job of making the public associate business mobile e-mail with their product. And people are willing to pay for it. Personally, I feel that I (and this community) know a special secret that the public doesn't realize: PalmOS with Chatter is a better e-mail solution and it is cheaper. The PIM is better too.

Stability: Well that is another story. But I am a 'tweaker' and will deal with it to get it to work for me.

Lack of Innovation on PalmOS: No argument there. But just because it is old doesn't mean it is bad.

And finally, hardware updates: I would love to have a GPS with PalmOS but I still believe there is no one perfect device.