Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I keep on hearing all over the place that Sprint is dying. They lost 1 million subscribers last quarter or something (though it didn't say how many new customers they got) and people are bailing left and right.

But my experiences have been totally different. Sprint is the first to get good phones (especially 3G ones), was the first to have a 3G palmOS (755p) months before Verizon, and has 3G data services that are significantly less than the competition. New data plans are $15 and I am grandfathered in on a $10 plan. Their service in the tri-state area is excellent, and my (seldom) travelling to other parts of the country have given me no problems. I also rarely had any problems with billing and the one or two times I did in 5 years were quickly resolved by CS.

With 5 Treos on my family Plan, I save at least $15 each per month on data (compared to AT&T) and more compared to Verizon. That is $75/month!!! And everyone will agree that the SERO plan (which I don't use is the best deal around.

Surely, I can't be the only one. I know it is common to hear more complaints on boards and that is why this board is filled with people 'ranking' on Sprint. But even the 'experts' are predicting Sprint's demise. I, for one, hope Sprint sticks around for a while. I have nothing to complain about. I hope there are many others that feel the same way.

So for those of you thinking about Sprint and tempted by their prices, 3G data and phone selection, I urge you to test out their network for the 30 day trial and don't be discouraged by all the talk that Sprint is dying. The more people sign up, the less we will hear that Sprint is doomed.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    I myself like sprint I get nothing but good service from them, their plans are the best priced. They don't try and rape you for data services (one of the reasons I swithched from a nextel blackberry to a sprint treo). In my area I always have a good connection. Granted I live by a big city but even when I go into the country I seem to always have a good signal.

One thing these "analysts" seem to leave out from their info is wheter these are nextel subscribers bailing a sinking ship or are they sprint subscribers. Sprint made a mistake when they bought nextel hoping to be able to merge both technologies (the push to talk is probably what they were really wanting).
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    But my experiences have been totally different. Sprint is the first to get good phones (especially 3G ones), was the first to have a 3G palmOS (755p) months before Verizon, and has 3G data services that are significantly less than the competition. New data plans are $15

Surely, I can't be the only one. I know it is common to hear more complaints on boards and that is why this board is filled with people 'ranking' on Sprint. But even the 'experts' are predicting Sprint's demise. I, for one, hope Sprint sticks around for a while. I have nothing to complain about. I hope there are many others that feel the same way.
    I myself like sprint I get nothing but good service from them, their plans are the best priced. They don't try and rape you for data services (one of the reasons I swithched from a nextel blackberry to a sprint treo). In my area I always have a good connection. Granted I live by a big city but even when I go into the country I seem to always have a good signal.
    DITTO & DITTO
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I stick with Sprint because my plan cannot be beat. You sometimes don't get your way on your first call to CS, but try and try again and you always come out ahead.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    I keep on hearing all over the place that Sprint is dying. They lost 1 million subscribers last quarter or something (though it didn't say how many new customers they got) and people are bailing left and right.

But my experiences have been totally different. Sprint is the first to get good phones (especially 3G ones), was the first to have a 3G palmOS (755p) months before Verizon, and has 3G data services that are significantly less than the competition. New data plans are $15 and I am grandfathered in on a $10 plan. Their service in the tri-state area is excellent, and my (seldom) travelling to other parts of the country have given me no problems. I also rarely had any problems with billing and the one or two times I did in 5 years were quickly resolved by CS.

With 5 Treos on my family Plan, I save at least $15 each per month on data (compared to AT&T) and more compared to Verizon. That is $75/month!!! And everyone will agree that the SERO plan (which I don't use is the best deal around.

So for those of you thinking about Sprint and tempted by their prices, 3G data and phone selection, I urge you to test out their network for the 30 day trial and don't be discouraged by all the talk that Sprint is dying. The more people sign up, the less we will hear that Sprint is doomed.
    The whiners are always the loudest... check out some of the people that whine.... check no further than here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=164773

Honestly, sometimes you look at things and shake your head.

Sprint will be ok... it has a strong name. Many people jet for different reasons... tonight an old friend is leaving for verizon... his girl is on verizon, so he is going there to save money... guess they can talk for free or something. No other reason....

Stuff like that can't be helped...

When one of my (close) relatives jumped over to att for a phone, it hurt to see my minutes being taken out... made me realize how much we talked every week. But I have enough minutes and he has unlimited... so no biggie.

But I also think that part of the issue is verizon's marketing... Before I switched to sprint, I thought sprint's network was CRAP... in all caps. lol.... Sprint has to turn that tide someway... they need someone to have both a short and long term plan.

ATT marketing as well... although, the relative on att has major issues and is going over to verizon. Although, he will more than likely relax and stay with att, dunno.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I agree that Sprint is the best price/performance out there. Their new web site/billing system where you switch phones online is slick.

I think their big issues are the Nextel acquisition (unnecessary and costly), and their lackluster handset offering (they should have had better relations with Nokia and SE.

And o course, everyone wants an iPhone.

What they should have done is created a GSM MIMO.

Anyway, their death is greatly exaggerated.
    I'm on VZW and I'm getting tried of waiting for the Centro and the high cost of using VZW. The problem is that I'm on family plan and I signed up for another 2yr contract back in April.
    I'm a fairly new Sprint user (February)... switching from my local carrier because they wouldn't support the new phone I was getting... and for the SERO plan. I had a little issue the first month getting my number switched and then paying them... (yup.. they actually gave me a hard time paying them... )... and then this past month I had an issue where I accidentally sent a text message to a landline.. and I get a text message telling me it was sent using "text to landline".. I freaked! I figured it was something that was going to cost me.. and all that.... well t make it short.. I chatted with CS and after she assured me it was included in my plan (unlimited text).. I mentioned that I had had an issue with other text messages that were suppose to be covered, but I ended up getting charged 4 bucks for them the first month I had them, which I promptly canceled.. (it was of all things.. their NASCAR updates)... at which point she told me they were giving me a $35.00 credit!!! It paid that's months bill with a little left over..... I kept the chat log in case they want to change it.. but I was only out 4 bucks in the beginning.. and they gave me a month for free......
    The best thing about a fantasy is the possibility that it might come true. But when that possibility is gone, well that just sucks.
    FYI-Most telcoms would like you to think that their CS is overall better than the others. Guess what? They're all collectively mediocre.

I was with the evil Blue before they were the blue and orange and they stunk back then. I even worked for them before and after they became AT&T mobility.

Been with Sprint since 2002 and have very few complaints. However, I am a very educated customer, which most cell phone customers are not.

Is Sprint dying? Nah...they'll be alright.
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by nitido357 View Post
    Nah...they'll be alright.
    Phil Jackson said that last night going into the 4th quarter. The Celtics made Phil a lier.

Little humor on this Friday the 13th!
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  11. UserOne
    I must admit... I entered a Sprint contract with great trepidation expecting the worst (even keeping my old provider & device, just in case) because of all the "horror stories" I've heard. Much to my surprise, I have yet to have a single problem with them.... billing, service, performance, quality of signal, etc., etc. have all been excellent.

I'm sure there are those that have had problems, but I simply can't say I'm in that crowd.

Just my .02... L8R
    A few hiccups but been with sprint for must be a decade and sometimes I think of switching to verizon only becasue where I live ( Just my local area) SPrint signal is spotty but verizon is top notch here (NJ) but then I look at my plan and the speed i surf the web and other than a few areas of town I get a great signal. Never really had any issues with Sprint. (Excpet 2 rebate problems) .
    So far I still love Sprint.
    I love Sprint's plans (go SERO) and equipment (towers & phones). But their customer service... well my sig says it all.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Sprint is 1 of the worst services you can have its just the facts the lost in almost every field when consumer reports did a wireless report not to long ago.
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    I've got a Sprint business account, and the customer service is truly excellent. If Sprint could take their business service as a model, and try to replicate it throughout the company, they'd have the best customer service in the industry.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I've got a Sprint business account, and the customer service is truly excellent. If Sprint could take their business service as a model, and try to replicate it throughout the company, they'd have the best customer service in the industry.
    I agree 100%...as a business customer, I ahve ZERO complaints...
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    I've never had any of the signal or coverage problems others seem to think are endemic - a few weeks ago I was on a road trip across half of the western US - much of which wasn't on Interstate Freeways, and had internet access for my laptop the whole way. Granted it wasn't very fast in many areas, but I almost always maintained a connection. There may have been a few canyons that blacked out (as well as tunnels of course) but then everyone else in the car that was on Verizon or At&t didn't have any signal either.

Sprint coverage may have been an issue in the past, but they really seem to have gotten their act together lately.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    small business- 7 lines:

I had sprint for like 6 years- never had a problem. coverage was good enough. prices were amazing. never had any customer service issues. I was completely satisfied. I talked all my friends into using them. no one was unhappy.

but a few years ago we switched to vzw. (basically vzw is a big client of ours and it was politically incorrect to walk into their offices all the time with sprint phones- they notice such things...)

well now that we are on vz I don't ever think we'de go back. the coverage in the old bellatlantic / nynex region really is a bit better. sprints was certainly good enough. probably I'd say sprint works like 99.97% of the time where you would expect it. but vz works 100% of the time where you would expect and maybe 10% where you wouldn't expect (3 levels deep in a subway station- out in the ocean where you can't even see land., etc).

is that tiny bit better coverage worth the raping on your bill? is it worth the 3-6-12 month delays in new phones or firmware? is it worth their take it or leave it attitude?

on a personal level- hell no. but when my livelyhood, my bussiness is at stake it is. the extra 200 a month I'm probably paying for 7 lines is not a bad insurance policy to keep my business positioned as best as can be. so I pay the ripoff rates and deal with the other downsides.

I think that summarizes their problem. they are NOT the choice of business. they probably need 10 of you folks on the sero plans to equal the profit vz makes on a single business line.

I can't believe they don't have many more subs then vzw- I really don't understand how price isn't that important. but I guess all the businesses add up who will pay more?

besides the small businesses from what I see in the monster fortune 500 places is they all have att/cingulair or verizon.

that can't be good.

its a shame but I think sprint has problems unless they can somehow get more business customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    Don't take this wrong but you have it wrong. the number is net, it already includes new customers. the total number of of customers plummeted over the past 12 months.r.

Sprint has had a net loss higher than any mobile company and it also has higher churn (customer turnover) which is also very bad .
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    ....Sprint has had a net loss higher than any mobile company and it also has higher churn (customer turnover) which is also very bad .
    do any of the big boys ever even have net sub loses?

I thought vz and att just keep adding?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast