1.    #1  
    Will be getting a Treo 800w this summer--if it comes out tby then--and I'm thinking of getting the plan where for an extra xx.xx(?) per month, you can use your Treo as a wireless modem.

On the other hand, if you lose your Treo, that could be a pain.

But...if the Treo 800w has Wi-Fi, I might scratch that extra plan idea for Internet cafes, along with my regular Wi-fi enabled laptop.

On the other hand, the Sprint broadband cards, while more expensive, could actually work out better. BUT if this new WM Treo 800w allows you to talk whilst either using Wi-Fi or Sprint's own 3G Broadband connection, then that adds another possibility.

Am I overthinking this?
    My wife and I both have Sprint accounts and we both use Centros. On my account I also have a Sprint broadband card (Sierra Wireless 595U) with an unlimited data plan ($50 per mo). While I dont use it as often as I would like, it certainly come in handy when I do need to use it. The flexibility of my broadband card has been amplified with my recent purchase of a broadband wifi router made by Cradlepoint Technology.

Here is an example of how I use this combo. I am pursuing my VA funeral directors license and often times take to work either my Dell laptop or my Nokia N810 internet tablet. If I have the time to get online to do some school work, or some time to kill between services, I can fire up my own personal hotspot and quickly get online. All this without having to tie my Centro up (I do run USB Modem on my Centro, so I could also use it for internet access). The benifit of using the broadband card and broadband router is that I can place the combo where I have the best access to a signal, such as near a window, then the router broadcasts out to my laptop or internet tablet.

Recently my wife took some continuing education courses at an ODU facility in Suffolk, VA. While the facility had a wifi signal, it was locked out to non-students. No problem. My wife took my broadband card/router combo to class as was able to use Sprints EVDO signal all day long during the course ~and~ also share the signal with her co-workers who were there taking the same course. This was done by giving them WPA access to the broadband router.

While its great to use a Treo / Centro for quick internet connectivity for a laptop, if you need prolonged connectivity and also the ability to share it with other, then a broadband card/router is the way to go. That is of course if you can justify the monthly expense for an unlimited plan.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post

On the other hand, the Sprint broadband cards, while more expensive, could actually work out better. BUT if this new WM Treo 800w allows you to talk whilst either using Wi-Fi or Sprint's own 3G Broadband connection, then that adds another possibility.

Am I overthinking this?
    PC cards in general perform a little better due to not being limited to the phone's processor speed. The difference is there but it's not drastic. They will both run on the EVDO Rev A network so there may not be a noticeable difference when comparing tethering a Treo 800 to a PC card. As far as simultaneous data connections with voice, can't say yet as the only Rev A phone out is the Mogul and no one that I know has come out announcing simultaneous voice/data capability. As far as simultaneous Wifi and voice that works just dandy, I tried it when I had a Mogul and was able to surf with Wifi while on a phone call.
  4.    #4  
    I could justify the price, if the deal was good. Also, the stars are in alignment when it comes with potential deals with Sprint. I've been month-month w/ Sprint for 2 years now and have been using the T650 for 3.

I've been thinking of getting the Sprint all-you-can-eat plan for $99/month when I upgrade to the T800w. It would be at this time when I would consider getting Sprint's broadband card w/plan. Would it be possible to sweet talk Sprint into getting a deal with broadband card rates along with a new Sprint phone plan at the same time? I'm comfortable with the 2-year agreement thing.