1.    #1  

One question we get a lot as moderators or technical writers in the WM world has to do with Sprint and their MMS service called “Picture Mail”, specifically why is the service not offered for all Windows Mobile devices (as well as BlackBerry) on that network?

For a long time, it was common practice for users to download a 3rd party program aka ArcSoft MMS Composer aka “the MMS hack” to enable the feature but even this stopped working at the beginning of February. Sprint figured out how to directly block just WM users form using the service.

Why so? Will it change? What are the hacks to get around the block? Are you violating Sprint’s Terms and Services? Read on for the scoop…

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ed...ws_mobile.html
    Whats even funnier than the above legal speak coming from Overland Park (or Reston) is that when I was a Sprint employee in St Louis, I carried a then new PPC 6700 with the hack. I was instantly hailed as a savior by upper execs, store managers and customers alike and a memo went out to our techs to install the arcsoft hack CAB whenever someone at the store level asked "why can't I send picturemail?" Remember, that device stated ON THE BOX that it could send and receive MMS. I just find it funny that Sprint covered their legal bases with hacked software from the underground community, then 5 years later throws it in full reverse when it doesn't suit them anymore... And yeah I do own a treo 700wx, and I'm pissed! I'll be going with an unlocked Xperia on one of the 2 GSM nets here in the US (if 1700Mhz 3g is supported on that device) Open standards is the way to go and if VZW is getting it, then surely Sprint should too.
    Great info starrwulfe--in addition I added that bit about the 6700 above as I forgot about that.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    On your personal opinion you say that texting someone a weblink to view your online photo is lame. But that does not happen when you used to send MMS from our WM Sprint phones. Only when recieving them would we get a web link. But sending to other carriers worked just fine. THey didnt need web access.
    @digital

Good distinction--I was being a little broad--so correct, when you send you just attach the photo. I'm just not content with pseduo-MMS and would prefer a more traditional interoperable system.
    Nice article, Thanks for the mention.
    I send picture mail all the time. I open outlook and send as an attachment.

That is not mms, but it works the same for me. I don't see a difference...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    @ theog:

I agree with you... it's no big deal to simply send a picture straight from the phone, even the camera application on the Mogul has an icon for emailing the picture.

I think what this whole MMS issue stems from is from folks who are used to the old school way.. in other words, years ago folks got use to the ability to send pictures from their phone to another phone without having to know an email address... they just simply selected a phone number from their contacts. People don't understand that now phones, that is, WinMo phones are more Internet end-point-devices than phones... Internet identities such as SMTP email address and device IP are becoming more important in the transmission of data, the way it's always been on the desktop/laptop.
  9. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TC99 View Post
    @ theog:

I agree with you... it's no big deal to simply send a picture straight from the phone, even the camera application on the Mogul has an icon for emailing the picture.

I think what this whole MMS issue stems from is from folks who are used to the old school way.. in other words, years ago folks got use to the ability to send pictures from their phone to another phone without having to know an email address... they just simply selected a phone number from their contacts. People don't understand that now phones, that is, WinMo phones are more Internet end-point-devices than phones... Internet identities such as SMTP email address and device IP are becoming more important in the transmission of data, the way it's always been on the desktop/laptop.
    That is true but for the type of money we are paying for our ppc's, they should definitely include MMS. I had the 700w when I had VZW then when I switched to Sprint to get the 700wx, that feature sadly wasn't available. I found the Arcsoft app but now they have blocked MMS using that app too.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Actually its not true that Sprint is the only network that blocks mms from wm users. I am on the Alltel network and have no mms on my Treo 700 wx. Alltel also informed me they have no intention of allowing access to most of their wm phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by tajlund View Post
    Actually its not true that Sprint is the only network that blocks mms from wm users. I am on the Alltel network and have no mms on my Treo 700 wx. Alltel also informed me they have no intention of allowing access to most of their wm phones.
    Interesting. Thanks for the clarification

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC99 View Post
    @ theog:

You know, I'd probably have no problem with emailing the MMS message if I didn't have to always ask "what carrier do you have?" so that I could address it properly. It would just be nice if there were some sort of universal email - to - phone gateway, where if you sent the phone number, it would translate that to the proper email address of the person you're trying to send it to.

Then again, maybe this isn't done due to privacy concerns, or something like that...
    Who's flying this thing?
    You shouldnt be limited to what the phone is capable of. Which is the phone is able to send picture messages sprint just retricts it from being sent out to other cell phones, there answer is send an email. I worked for verizon in the data support, and I had vx6800. I left them and went to sprint and got the ppc 6800 and can not send picture mail. People pay too much for a phone for it not to be able to send out a simple picture message. I cant even use the workout because it calls for a picture mail account, because I have a windows phone. I have an unlimited plan data and voice.