1.    #1  
    Tuesday March 25, 2008 3:26 PM CDT - By: Michael Kwan

The good news is that you'll be able to surf the web at blazing EV-DO speeds anywhere you have a cellular connection. The bad news is that you'll probably want to limit how much bandwidth you use. That's because the new Verizon Broadband Access plan caps your data at a paltry 50MB each month. You might not even survive a YouTube video at that rate.

In the advertisement, it says that you will be able to browse, email, and download for $39.99. I don't think it's too much trouble if you do a little bit of browsing. Even emails should be fine if you avoid any sort of heavy attachments. But downloading? Grab a couple of songs from iTunes and you've already burned through like 20% of your monthly allotment.

Yeah, it's not exactly expensive at forty bucks a month, but you're getting next to nothing in terms of bandwidth. If you can take advantage of Cricket Wireless and their $35 unlimited plan, that might be a better deal.

Verizon has so much to offer.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    The bad news is that you'll probably want to limit how much bandwidth you use. That's because the new Verizon Broadband Access plan caps your data at a paltry 50MB each month.
    Verizon's a bunch of damn idiots, if you ask me.

Any carrier that has a cap on their plans ought to integrate some sort of system that warns the user at the time that they go over that limit (or as close as is reasonably possible). Then, instead of screwing the user with the per-kilobyte or per-megabyte charge, offer to upgrade the plan, on the spot, from the phone itself.

This then serves these purposes:
    1. The user can be confident that when they sign up for a data plan, they'll know that they aren't likely to go over by a whole lot without being notified (text message, perhaps?) and given an offer to change plans... The theory I have here is that since the subscriber sees less risk, they might be more interested in trying a data plan.
    2. For the users that signed up for a 50MB plan, those that go over that limit may be enticed enough to sign up for another 50, 100, 200, etc. MB.
    Ultimately, if the customer feels like they're in control, rather than the feeling like they might get surprised at the end of the month, it creates a much more positive relationship.

Ugh, this and the prices Verizon charges... no wonder why I left them for Sprint... and I was a long-time customer since the Bell Atlantic Mobile days.

But I'm not bitter.
    Who's flying this thing?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    Verizon's a bunch of damn idiots, if you ask me.

Any carrier that has a cap on their plans ought to integrate some sort of system that warns the user at the time that they go over that limit (or as close as is reasonably possible). Then, instead of screwing the user with the per-kilobyte or per-megabyte charge, offer to upgrade the plan, on the spot, from the phone itself.

This then serves these purposes:
    1. The user can be confident that when they sign up for a data plan, they'll know that they aren't likely to go over by a whole lot without being notified (text message, perhaps?) and given an offer to change plans... The theory I have here is that since the subscriber sees less risk, they might be more interested in trying a data plan.
    2. For the users that signed up for a 50MB plan, those that go over that limit may be enticed enough to sign up for another 50, 100, 200, etc. MB.
    Ultimately, if the customer feels like they're in control, rather than the feeling like they might get surprised at the end of the month, it creates a much more positive relationship.

Ugh, this and the prices Verizon charges... no wonder why I left them for Sprint... and I was a long-time customer since the Bell Atlantic Mobile days.

But I'm not bitter.
    Well said...I couldn't agree with you more. I used to be with Verizon befor Sprint and now I am with AT&T, and I know coverage is important but if you can get it from any other carrier go for it because I can bet all of the the other carriers have cheaper data than Verizon and are truely unlimited...more for your dollar at a saving.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Just to think this is the company that just won (key areas ) in the airwaves auctions...

Everyone keeps saying it is going to be "open." I keep saying... keep dreaming. That is why google is not attempting to piggyback off TV station waves "white areas." Google knows verizon sucks... we all know it... everyone knows it.

But they still make their money each month since most of america is fooled into thinking that verizon has the best coverage. I was fooled for seven years.

Thank you SERO... I love you.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    $10 more a moth gets you unlimited on SERO, with a Data card.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Just to think this is the company that just won (key areas ) in the airwaves auctions...

Everyone keeps saying it is going to be "open." I keep saying... keep dreaming. That is why google is not attempting to piggyback off TV station waves "white areas." Google knows verizon sucks... we all know it... everyone knows it.

But they still make their money each month since most of america is fooled into thinking that verizon has the best coverage. I was fooled for seven years.

Thank you SERO... I love you.
    I have no love for Verizon but they do have a pretty good network, but it doesn't mean lets make customers pay high and cap low because of it. I don't know why they charge more and give less in the way they run things. They don't even offer 7PM starts for unlimited nights and weekends and unlimited weekends don't start until midnight Friday/Saturday morning ending Sunday at midnight...short weekend, and now capped data. They act like its a privelage to be with them and you will get what they offer even if it doesn't compliment the cost.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Sprint, thank you very much for SERO.
    Unlimited means unlimited.
    I'm confused... are we talking about a Vzn plan for laptop cards or for Treos?

I thought I was paying 45 (recently reduced from 49?) bucks a month for unlimited internet on my treo- in addition to my voice plan.

Are you telling me I am not paying that now, or that they are not offering that to new customers anymore and I am grandfathered in?

Are they now charging more money (in the 50's) for less internet (more restricted limits)??
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Also... I was seriously considering switching my Vzn Family plan over to Sprint SERO (4 separate SERO lines at 30 bucks each) when the final phone in my Vzn plan is up for renewal. However, the 30 bucks each would be a waste for 2 of the lines that use no data, so I'd have to save enough on my phone (uses data) and my wife's (she uses no data now but may be interested in getting a Centro) to make it worthwhile.

However, this "Open Web" fiasco over at Sprint makes me wonder if I will have real, non-misdirected internet over in Sprintland. If Vzn is going to cost even more than I am used to paying already- Sprint looks more tempting IF they get the Open Web stuff fixed.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Also... I was seriously considering switching my Vzn Family plan over to Sprint SERO (4 separate SERO lines at 30 bucks each) when the final phone in my Vzn plan is up for renewal. However, the 30 bucks each would be a waste for 2 of the lines that use no data, so I'd have to save enough on my phone (uses data) and my wife's (she uses no data now but may be interested in getting a Centro) to make it worthwhile.
    Why not two SERO lines, and then put the other two lines on a basic family plan? I'm too lazy to do the math, but just the data savings alone would probably beat Verizon's prices. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if you could beat your configuration on Verizon by using Sprint's plans even without SERO.
    However, this "Open Web" fiasco over at Sprint makes me wonder if I will have real, non-misdirected internet over in Sprintland. If Vzn is going to cost even more than I am used to paying already- Sprint looks more tempting IF they get the Open Web stuff fixed.
    I did a search for "Open Web" and "Sprint"... and I didn't see it on the forums here. What am I missing?
    Who's flying this thing?
    It seems in trying to bring a more desktop experience to regular phones, they are beginning to route traffic through a proxy, and not allowing the info that tells websites (including ones that ARE mobile-friendly) what phone you have. It makes it hard (or worse) to download things to your phone. Is it evil, trying to stop you from downloading anything they don't like or get paid for, or is it more benign?

Here's some places to look...

http://wapreview.com/blog/?p=510
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1588-1.htm
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=blazer+spying

=-=-=
    Getting back to the original topic... I assume y'all were talking about Verizon laptop card broadband access, and not smartphone access??? Is that right???

I don't want any surprizes in my already high Vzn wireless bill.
    =-=-=
    I looked at the math, and it only makes some sense to switch to Sprint SERO if the wife wants data as well as me. Just putting the 2 non-data phones on a regular Sprint plan and hers and mine on SERO doesn't really save much money over my shared-minutes family plan with Verizon (with only one data phone- 10 bucks each per extra line).
    Last edited by duanedude1; 03/27/2008 at 08:16 PM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

It seems in trying to bring a more desktop experience to regular phones, they are beginning to route traffic through a proxy, and not allowing the info that tells websites (including ones that ARE mobile-friendly) what phone you have. It makes it hard (or worse) to download things to your phone. Is it evil, trying to stop you from downloading anything they don't like or get paid for, or is it more benign?

Ah, thanks for the links. This is what I get for not paying as close attention to the TC articles as I do the WMExperts articles now, I guess. Definitely seems like something to watch out for.
    Who's flying this thing?
  13. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=duanedude1;1426026]It seems in trying to bring a more desktop experience to regular phones, they are beginning to route traffic through a proxy, and not allowing the info that tells websites (including ones that ARE mobile-friendly) what phone you have. It makes it hard (or worse) to download things to your phone. Is it evil, trying to stop you from downloading anything they don't like or get paid for, or is it more benign?

QUOTE]

Im sure a few registry edits will solve this issue though....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    Im sure a few registry edits will solve this issue though....
    It depends entirely on how they're implementing their proxy configuration. If it's a handset configuration, then yeah, it may be possible to work around this. If it's implemented in the gateway devices that all handsets have to pass through, we're at the mercy of the carrier.
    Who's flying this thing?