Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Great thread with a lot of well thought out posts!

Every time I've thought of switching away from Sprint, I find much more expensive data elsewhere. In general, I've been very content with Sprint day to day.

However, I recently switched my wife over and changed plans (to family) along with both of our phones. Sadly, very few of the Sprint Customer Reps have any idea how to do their job. It literally took more than 24 hours of time on the phone and two visits to a local store to get things mostly sorted. The first bill had mystery charges for four lines and took a few more hours to sort out.

Hopefully, they can get their business sorted out even though they greatly deserve all the hardship currently happening.
    Brian
    Will it be worth sticking to HP Web OS? I hope so but need to see the right hardware and software.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
    Man, I tell you what, a buyout by Alltel wouldn't bother me in the least. At least then maybe my 6800 wouldn't count Alltel as roaming and freeze up on me.
    Are you using the old ROM that was pulled back because of that error? There is an updated ROM that reportedly does not have that problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    Seems like we ain't comparing apples and apples here. I just looked up all the carriers rates and they are all $89.99 on a 2 line family plan.

The 1400 minute plan under AT&T is $89.99 for two phones.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...hone-plans.jsp

The Sprint Power Pack Family Plans is also $89.99

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASAp...itRegionAction

Verizon has a 1400 minutes per month plan at $89.99 per month:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...Id=2&catId=323

Seems to me the only difference I can see between the plans is w/AT&T where it offers rollover minutes and the others don't mention it.

Now of course you can be eligible for certain discounts as a long time customer, or member of a certain group with any of them under specific conditions but again, this isn't apples and apples.

I tried to look up Sprint's currently offered data plans but the site now has obfuscated the options pretty well....I gave up after 10 minutes.

You are missing the Sprint SERO plans:

500 minutes + unliminted internet + unliminted texts = $30
    1250 minutes + unliminted internet + unliminted texts = $49.99

If you need 2 phones, then just get two 500 minute plans. That is just $60 and it includes as much data and texting as you want. Nights start at 7 so that's not too bad.

read more about signing up here: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=680568
    Quote Originally Posted by JrrInTN View Post
    Looking at the ATT Plans, I see I could get a "family plan" for $89, plus $20 per line for two lines for data = $129. I pay $60 for two lines with Sprint, so ATT is over twice the cost -- not quite as expensive as Verizon, but still over $800 more expensive than under Sprint.
    Where are these plans ? Again, apples and apples. You say "you" get this $60 deal; why ? Why isn't this $60 deal on their web site ?
    Quote Originally Posted by gaster View Post
    You are missing the Sprint SERO plans:
    I am missing the Sprint SERO plans cause it's not apples and apples. Can any regular Joe get a SERO plan ? The only SERO users I know of are hanging out here and this forums constituency represents only a small share of Sprint customers. Without access to the secret universal e-mail, you outta luck. AT&T has a program if you attend / work for a university. AT&T has a plan if you work for any branch of government.

Also, 1) family plan savings eat up the SERO savings and 2) if you a Sprint customer, can not port numbers and 3) Unlimited texting ends in 3 weeks also.

SERO also has diminishing returns as members in family plan increases.

Here's my costs under AT &T $60 (1st 2 phones) +$30 (3 phones) +25 (Sons data) +20 (my data) = $135
    Here's my costs under SERO 5 x $50 = $150
    I think I'd might even be better off using my prof society discount of 24% than SERO .... moot point cause there's no signal here.

But I am all for getting whatever discount programs you can weasle ya way into. But my point was, unless you can get into one of these plans, the big three are all charging the same thing to the average Joe / Josephine
    2) if you a Sprint customer, can not port numbers and 3) Unlimited texting ends in 3 weeks also.
    Both of these are not totally true.

When you sign up for Sero on the web you can port your number right there or when you get the phone to activate it. Also, existing Sprint customers can and have ported numbers or had their accounts switched to Sero (like me).

Unlimited Texting is basically permanent. It also "expired" on Dec 31 and they generally keep renewing it--it's been "free" for about 6 months now, maybe even longer and before then it came and went.
    Here's my costs under AT &T $60 (1st 2 phones) +$30 (3 phones) +25 (Sons data) +20 (my data) = $135
    Here's my costs under SERO 5 x $50 = $150
    I think I'd might even be better off using my prof society discount of 24% than SERO .... moot point cause there's no signal here.
    Right, but it should be noted that the Sero plans all get unlimited data, whereas you plan just has 2 lines (if I read that correctly). I mean what would happen if you added 3 more data accounts to your AT&T service?

Unlimited SMS = add $30
    Data = add $60 or higher

Either way, we're splitting hairs here. Point is, if you can spend a couple of minutes on the internet looking up deals, getting Sero is pretty simple and for all that you get, including that unlimited 3g data and SMS, it is the best deal around, assuming you have good cell service in your area.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/22/2008 at 04:42 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Both of these are not totally true.
    I'm only going by what is posted on the fatwallet and Sprint sites. Considering Sprint's financial condition, I think it's a bit of a leap to say for sure what they will do when current programs expire.

Right, but it should be noted that the Sero plans all get unlimited data, whereas you plan just has 2 lines (if I read that correctly). I mean what would happen if you added 3 more data accounts to your AT&T service?
    The other three phones are not data capable....and they new so won't be changed for about 1.5 years.

Another consideration is that with five (5) separate SERO plans, I can't pay five separate bills out of my business account. Wife is my bookkeeper so business pays for the data and two phones.....all **I** pay outta that bill out of my own pocket is $9.99 x 3 for the kiddies.
    Different strokes for different folks.

I have 3 smartphones, unlimited data and SMS, sharing 800 minutes and all the usual stuff.

$69 a month, which includes taxes. One bill.

No one else can touch it on the data side, that is why I stick with Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by WMExperts Articles View Post
    So, Sprint customers: will you go down with the ship or jump off?

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/tine_to_start_the_sprint_death.html
    Sprint is not going anyplace... somebody would buy them first.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Sprint is not going anyplace... somebody would buy them first.
    Exactly. No Sprint customer will wake up one day to a phone with no signal a la Amp'd Mobile. Worse comes to worse it will be a repeat of the old troubled ATT wireless being bought out by Cingular back in 04. That will hold true for all those cheap plans. If Sprint gets bought out it will be increasingly difficult to hold on to them as time goes by. Forced migrations anyone??
    Seems like we ain't comparing apples and apples here. I just looked up all the carriers rates and they are all $89.99 on a 2 line family plan.

The 1400 minute plan under AT&T is $89.99 for two phones.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...hone-plans.jsp

The Sprint Power Pack Family Plans is also $89.99

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASAp...itRegionAction

Verizon has a 1400 minutes per month plan at $89.99 per month:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...Id=2&catId=323

Seems to me the only difference I can see between the plans is w/AT&T where it offers rollover minutes and the others don't mention it.

Now of course you can be eligible for certain discounts as a long time customer, or member of a certain group with any of them under specific conditions but again, this isn't apples and apples.

I tried to look up Sprint's currently offered data plans but the site now has obfuscated the options pretty well....I gave up after 10 minutes.
    As far as apples to apples...we have to look at the amount of bite we get per buck. Sprint's family plan includes 7PM-7AM night and 7PM Friday-7AM Monday weekend as where verizon only offers 9PM -6AM nights and 12AMmidnight Friday/Saturday morning-12AM Sunday night/Monday Morning...not a lot of free time for the equivelant plan with Verizon and Sprint doesn't restrict any content with its data plan as apposed to Verizon. PowerVision starts as low as 15$-25$ as where Verizon is around a healthy 45$ for the same EVDO 3G network in which case Sprint is a little snappier at 1800mHz...a little more bang. I honestly don't know much about ATT and I don't feel like taking the time...I just know I have been with all three in the past 7 years and found I got the most for my buck with Sprint. Verizon won't even allow 7PM unlimitted talk time at any cost
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Hoo boy! Now some key executives are leaving...
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    Hoo boy! Now some key executives are leaving...
    That is normally a step in the right direction... I know of someone in palm who has stayed beyond his usefulness. Hopefully sprint won't have that issue.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    As far as apples to apples...we have to look at the amount of bite we get per buck. Sprint's family plan includes 7PM-7AM night and 7PM Friday-7AM Monday weekend as where verizon only offers 9PM -6AM nights and 12AMmidnight Friday/Saturday morning-12AM Sunday night/Monday Morning...not a lot of free time for the equivelant plan with Verizon and Sprint doesn't restrict any content with its data plan as apposed to Verizon. PowerVision starts as low as 15$-25$ as where Verizon is around a healthy 45$ for the same EVDO 3G network in which case Sprint is a little snappier at 1800mHz...a little more bang. I honestly don't know much about ATT and I don't feel like taking the time...I just know I have been with all three in the past 7 years and found I got the most for my buck with Sprint. Verizon won't even allow 7PM unlimitted talk time at any cost
    I don't think it matters much... it all depends on the person and what they are getting in their world. I'm saving $79 per month since I'm with sprint vs. Verizon's old plan. ATT I won't touch, the service is not there for me in my area.

Obviously JackNaylorPE has sold himself on att, so he won't back down now... and after seeing some of the comments about sprint, I'd say he would make himself believe att is "better" no matter how twisted the argument gets.

All good though, everyone is sold on one service or another... well, I'm not really sold on sprint, but I love having that extra $79 in my pocket every month. Numbers don't lie....
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    As far as apples to apples...we have to look at the amount of bite we get per buck. Sprint's family plan includes 7PM-7AM night and 7PM Friday-7AM Monday weekend as where verizon only offers 9PM -6AM .....
    Yes, Verizon does have stricter rules .....why, cause they can get away with it. Their business marketing has been very successful. Then again AT&T offers the same evening times and has rollover minutes....as well as unlimited data for $19.99. All I am saying is that the costs are comparable for the "Average Joe" unless you have a pre-existing or can get into a special plan....and each vendor has numerous special plans with widely varying eligibilityr equirements.
    I don't think it matters much... it all depends on the person and what they are getting in their world. I'm saving $79 per month since I'm with sprint vs. Verizon's old plan. ATT I won't touch, the service is not there for me in my area.

Obviously JackNaylorPE has sold himself on att, so he won't back down now... and after seeing some of the comments about sprint, I'd say he would make himself believe att is "better" no matter how twisted the argument gets.

All good though, everyone is sold on one service or another... well, I'm not really sold on sprint, but I love having that extra $79 in my pocket every month. Numbers don't lie....
    True...I look at it one way. The corporate dogs do whatever is possible to maximise profits being job termination of the working class be it white collar or blue, so why don't we as people maximise our profit of income and not pay their high prices if applicable and terminate them for cheaper cost. Works for them so why not for us. Corporate competition is good for the consumer so prices can drop. I would figure Sprints data pricing would be a problem for Verizons steep pricing but I guess not when Sprints competing with Verizons stellar network brings the balance. Sprint has to stay a float because I won't get gouged at Verizon and I'd I had to I wouldn't use data and just stick to my notebook. I can afford Verizons pricing but I try to think like the corporate dogs...not when I can get the same for cheaper as long as the coverage is good. I will go to ATT before Verizon if possible.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Yes, Verizon does have stricter rules .....why, cause they can get away with it. Their business marketing has been very successful. Then again AT&T offers the same evening times and has rollover minutes....as well as unlimited data for $19.99. All I am saying is that the costs are comparable for the "Average Joe" unless you have a pre-existing or can get into a special plan....and each vendor has numerous special plans with widely varying eligibilityr equirements.
    I see your point.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Obviously JackNaylorPE has sold himself on att, so he won't back down now... and after seeing some of the comments about sprint, I'd say he would make himself believe att is "better" no matter how twisted the argument gets..
    Not at all. First of all I am not "sold on AT&T" as I have both a AT&T and a Verizon phone. Why ? .... because i can get signals on those carriers. The fact is you can't even find a store here that will sell you a Sprint phone. The three closest to my home / office have all dropped Sprint products swithin the last 2 years because, as what happened when I went into look at the Treo 650 when it came out, you walk outside the store and you can't make a call....there is no signal. And this in the 22nd largest Metro area in the USA.

What comments I have made about Sprint plans are unarguable. Where's the twists ?

1. If you go on there web site, their advertised plans are identical to the ones by AT&T and Verizon. The only differences are that AT&T has rollover (I have 7k minutes stored at the moment) and data plans with verizon's being significantly more expensive.

2. In my particular case, my 5 phone plan with AT&T is the cheapest one available. 5 SERO phones on Sprint is more expensive than what I have now.... though not really a consideration since there is no signal.

Every carrier has "special" plans which if you dig you can find out about. If as you say I am "sold on AT&T" why did I set up a 24% discount for my professional society where any New York State member would get 24% off their sprint bill ? Less than a handful of our 2,600 members have taken advantage of the offer, I can't say why. We tried to negotiate a similar deal with AT&T and Verizon but were turned down. They did offer alternative plans if we were members of government agency, working or attending universities and a host of others.

In short:

1. The advertised voice plans form each of the big 3 carriers are almost always identical in price.

2, Verizon has a disadvantage in that it has shorter "evening hours".

3. AT&T has advantage with rollover.

4. Verizon's data plans are steeper than the competition. Sprint and AT&T are comparable though I had trouble finding Sprint's advertised rates right now.

5. Every carrier has special plans and, all things like reception being equal, you should evaluate all these plans before making a decision.

Finally, it's no secret that Sprint is in dire financial shape. If you haven't signed up for a special rate plan as yet, suggest doing it fast as the likelihood of them being renewed is shrinking.

I love the act that Sprint exists because I think they are keeping prices on the other carriers down. Simple fact is, Sprint is NOT cheaper for my phones / usage and no matter how cheap a plan is, it ain't worth a damn if you can't get a signal.
    That is why I said I would only go cheaper if I had the coverage...hence Verizon can get away with their pricing along with the companies financial stability.
    at&t iPhone3G
    What comments I have made about Sprint plans are unarguable. Where's the twists ?
    Basically because not everyone is in the same boat as you are... we are on a forum full of "those in the know." Why are we worried about "advertised rates?" It is cool... my "advertised rate" from sprint was $79 cheaper than anything from verizon and more than likely att as well (same minutes -- did not check ATT, no time to waste right now).

Rollover? How about free? That beats roll over.

suggest doing it fast as the likelihood of them being renewed is shrinking
    Where did you read that? When will they go away?

Simple fact is, Sprint is NOT cheaper for my phones / usage
    That could be argued... it really depends on what you are trying do... but in your case, maybe it is true. I'm sure I could find something better though... but who knows. With rollover minutes (that a teen could go through) and starting later, I'm not sure ATT would be the best deal for everyone.

and no matter how cheap a plan is, it ain't worth a damn if you can't get a signal.
    You got that right!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast