Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I love my Sprint plan and service. The price is right and the phone works everywhere I go: Vegas, NYC, LA and Mia.

But I am jealous of the people on GSM networks getting GPS built-in to their phones.

I understand that CDMA has certain limitations. For instance, we can't do silmutaneous voice and data over EVDO.

But shouldn't we at least be getting some sort of quasi-GPS type service through cell tower triangulation by now? Is there a plan for CDMA to eventually offer a GPS service?

Just curious what the future holds.
    The Spint Q9c has GPS (Malatesta did an article on WMExperts on improving it: http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ho...on_sprint.html) and the Mogul is supposed to after the next ROM update. I believe there will be more to come as it is a "hot" feature. Sprint listens eventually!
    Yup, what bubba mentioned is true, as well as the HTC Touch and there is a rumor that the Centro will also have aGPS turned on in a ROM update, along with Google Maps cell-tower triangulation (<--this is confirmed by Palm, the triangulation bit.)

Sprint either tried to come up with a business model to charge and failed and/or there was an issue with Qualcomm chips not having the proper API's written.

Whatever the reason, it seems to be coming to end and we should see more devices in the future (like the Treo 800w) with GPS built-in.

So, right now BB and the Q q9c have GPS.

Rumored
    :
    • HTC Mogul
    • HTC Touch
    • Treo 800w
    • Palm Centro

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    That's great news. I must be behind the times because I remember hearing that CDMA networks didn't support GPS. Sorry for the unnecessary thread. But I am looking forward to staying with Sprint a lot longer now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Yup, what bubba mentioned is true, as well as the HTC Touch and there is a rumor that the Centro will also have aGPS turned on in a ROM update, along with Google Maps cell-tower triangulation (<--this is confirmed by Palm, the triangulation bit.)

Sprint either tried to come up with a business model to charge and failed and/or there was an issue with Qualcomm chips not having the proper API's written.

Whatever the reason, it seems to be coming to end and we should see more devices in the future (like the Treo 800w) with GPS built-in.

So, right now BB and the Q q9c have GPS.

Rumored
    :
    • HTC Mogul
    • HTC Touch
    • Treo 800w
    • Palm Centro
    HTC Mogul is no longer a rumor but infact does have built in GPS. www.ppcgeeks.com has multiple threads with the new rom. I have it and GPS works great.