Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Read this article that sounded interesting and thought I would pass it along.

Hopefully it ends up being as good as their making it sound

http://news.vzw.com/news/2007/11/pr2007-11-27.html

Joey
    jkOnTheRun has some great news for us: Verizon intends to get a little nicer with their network with a new program called “Any App, Any Device.” The upshot is that any customer can bring any compatible device to the big VZW and VZW will let 'em. This basically means that if you can get Sprint to unlock your phone, Verizon will pretty much take it.

Actually, it *really* means a whole lot more: If you can build your own cellphone that works on Verizon, Verizon will take it. After they test it and charge a testing fee, of course, they're not **madmen**. Still - this is great news, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it a seismic shift.

And as jk's Kevin Tofel notes, Verizon is thinking about moving to LTE (which is GSM-ish) for their 4G standard someday - which would mean that “Any Device” would cover a heckuva lot more devices.

Be still my heart - are carriers becoming less evil?

In early 2008, the company will publish the technical standards the development community will need to design products to interface with the Verizon Wireless network. Any device that meets the minimum technical standard will be activated on the network. Devices will be tested and approved in a $20 million state-of-the-art testing lab which received an additional investment this year to gear up for the anticipated new demand. Any application the customer chooses will be allowed on these devices.
    Read: Verizon Wireless To Introduce ‘Any Apps, Any Device’ Option For Customers In 2008

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ve...twork_any.html
  3.    #3  
    Didn't I just post about this?

Just trying to avoid doubling posting!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=156918
    Last edited by joey304; 11/27/2007 at 10:51 AM.
    Any device? Any Application?

Behold the end of the world is in sight!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    "Any" is like that other dangerous word "unlimited." I think the key phrase as "any compatible device". Key word: compatible.
    merged. When I post to WMExperts it makes a thread automagically and I forgot to check for dupes.
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Any device? Any Application?

Behold the end of the world is in sight!
    Do you think they'd test my toaster?
    Hopefully we'll get lucky and Sprint will follow suit...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Do you think they'd test my toaster?
    I just want a phone that works the way it should!
    it goes without saying that Alltel uses CDMA too. Well, ok, it doesn't go without saying since I just had to say it.
    sure...as long as you pay the special fee for non verizon equipment. :-)
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    This will make things very interesting. So which carrier will come out as the winner?
    Did we buy to soon?
    will there be price wars?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=22260
    Of course no mention as to the terms yet...

This is not surprising, the U.S wireless cartel makes money from contracts, selling a service. For the most part, consumer equipment has been the carrot, a loss leader. Believe it or not, if the cartel can convince us to bring are own phones to the table, it probably will mean more of our money in their pockets.

Now a true pay-as-you-go non-contractual bulk minute and data plan for any phone, that would be news!
    It may lead to phones being released with both technologies, but not soon. They would have to have CDMA/EVDO, GSM, GSM T-Mobile, HSDPA, HSDPA T-Mobile, etc etc. A little too much for one phone IMO, but we'll see. The iPhone will not be on Verizon until the iPhone has a CDMA radio inside of it.

This may be a big deal, or may just be (why give the subsidy if we don't have to?) a business ploy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    This may be a big deal, or may just be (why give the subsidy if we don't have to?) a business ploy.
    Agreed. We can only hope that "no subsidy" also means "no contract." For if there is no financial incentive to draw me in, I see no reason to be trapped.
    What do you think? Will it REALLY make a differnce?
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=sec-business
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    It won't change anything. As far as I know, there are only 7 companies using, CDMA . ( Sprint PCS, Alltel, U.S. Cellular, Cricket, Midwest Wireless, MetroPCS and Verizon). They have no plans to move away from it, so you're right back where you started.
    I just hope Sprint follows suit...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I thought sprint was doing something like that; where you can take any unlocked CDMA phone, call them, or go to this website and switch your phones when ever.

I swore i seen a post on that here, not too long ago; but now i cant find it for the life of me.

heck, if I recall even you posted in that thread gksmithlcw
    Last I heard, Sprint was unlocking phones but I don't know anything about them allowing unlocked phones as of yet.

Also, Sprint was gearing up to allow online ESN swaps but I think it still has to be Sprint phones.

I guess we'll see.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast