Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I don't think it will make huge difference, but it is a good development. This only means cell phone makers has a better chance of selling one model to work on both Verizon and Sprint. For example, one can buy a Centro from Sprint and then switch to use it on Verizon network. But most people would want get the discount by signing a service contract, so the impact on Sprint is small. Also this does not prevent Sprint or Verizon to get exclusive rights of a phone model, which means you may still have to buy the phone from one carrier for a period of time, like what happens to Centro.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Unless the phone OEMs start producing more CDMA phones, this announcement won't matter much.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Last I heard, Sprint was unlocking phones but I don't know anything about them allowing unlocked phones as of yet.

Also, Sprint was gearing up to allow online ESN swaps but I think it still has to be Sprint phones.

I guess we'll see.
    With all the carriers' copycatting of customer policies going on in order to just keep up and not lose more revenue, I'm pretty certain Sprint will offer their own variation on the theme ... eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer View Post
    Unless the phone OEMs start producing more CDMA phones, this announcement won't matter much.
    THAT is exactly the point. It's all terrific news, and could mean a lot of great things. IF we get the handsets that GSM providers get.
    END OF LINE
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Last I heard, Sprint was unlocking phones but I don't know anything about them allowing unlocked phones as of yet.

Also, Sprint was gearing up to allow online ESN swaps but I think it still has to be Sprint phones.

I guess we'll see.
    That feature isn't available until you are migrated to the new billing system Ensemble from what I've heard.
    Sprint PCS ****
    Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by CPL Radar View Post
    It won't change anything. As far as I know, there are only 7 companies using, CDMA . ( Sprint PCS, Alltel, U.S. Cellular, Cricket, Midwest Wireless, MetroPCS and Verizon). They have no plans to move away from it, so you're right back where you started.
    Wrong. You can say for example verizon doesn't have the 755, in this case you would then be able to take the sprint 755 and activate it with verizon if you wanted to.. or if sprint were to do the same thing you would be able to take the new voyager thats only with verizon and activate it on sprint. I see a real benifit in doing this. Opens a whole lot of choices to the end consumer.

CDMA has way better quality than GSM anyways. And since only a very small percentage of people using cell phones travel overseas there's really no reason for any of those big carriers to convert.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    With all the carriers' copycatting of customer policies going on in order to just keep up and not lose more revenue, I'm pretty certain Sprint will offer their own variation on the theme ... eventually.
    First off, this thread is in a bunch of forums already and is almost being spammed here--should be in Treo General or OT.

...but anyways Sprint does have their own twist already, besides the "unlock" thing, which is really not a big deal.

WiMax is going to be completely open--meaning any 3rd party device with a Wimax chip can access the network. It'd be like a regional hotpsot, to use familiar jargon.

There is even talk of it being free but with limited connectivity speeds (300kbps) and only 1 device. Paying customers obviously get much, much higher speeds and can have multiple devices. This is reportedly part of the Gov't plan for open, easy access to the internet. Chris Price at phonenews.com had an article about it.

Also, laptop manufactures are starting to put Wimax (piggy backed on Wifi chips) in laptops. I imagine we'll also see cameras soon too equipped with the little chip.

Now, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Wimax$ $is$ $still$ $not$ $a$ $voice$ $protocol$--$so$ $it$'$s$ $straight$ $data$. $In$ $that$ $regard$, $it$'$s$ $quite$ $different$ $than$ $what$ $Verizon$ $is$ $doing$. $Still$, $it$ $could$ $be$ $as$ $big$, $if$ $not$ $bigger$ $than$ $that$ $move$.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    You're still only limited to phones from 7 companies. How does that change anything?
    Because it would drastically open up more phones to the market of consumers wanting different phones but cant buy them because they are with another carrier.

I also think if all the major carriers did that it would allow more phone manifacturers to start making more phones for cdma carriers knowing that people could just switch carriers like you can do with gsm phones.
    Doesn't the announcement say that only "approved" handsets will be allowed? So if the 755p is not officially "approved" by verizon then will it still be allowed on the VZ network?

I don't know either way...I'm just trying to interpret the corporatespeak...
    Funny. For years they did everything they could to avoid being "pipes" and trying to get their piece of the lucrative services business, now Verizon seems willing to be a pipe.

Is it 700mhz preemptive? FCC regulation preemptive?

Interesting at least, but as others have said, GSM phones will still be excluded by nature of the incompatible CDMA technology (we'll see what 4G brings, though, depending how Vodafon steers them...)
    It's probably a bit of both, perhaps slightly tilted toward fear of regulation. "See? We're being good... please don't regulate us!" Moreso, I think a lot of this is driven by this whole domino effect that you see happen now when one of them makes a policy change. Suddenly the others have to follow suit or they're seen as laggards.

Gosh... doesn't it sound an awful lot like the airline industry? Hmm... And look at their wonderful customer service!
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I predicted this years ago when they were bidding on WCDMA bands. Pretty soon you'll be able to use all the networks at the same time because they'll all be interchangable universally. All the devices will use an open OS that will be compatable with more platforms, and the platforms is where the real differences will be. Just like when the dreamers of JAVA technology were trying to make that happen. The electrical devices in your home, on the street and in the office will be communicating with each other so any and every one will know everything about what you are doing before you know what you want to do.

Sorry, if I got too abstract.
    sounds like a horrible place to live.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    Wrong. You can say for example verizon doesn't have the 755, in this case you would then be able to take the sprint 755 and activate it with verizon if you wanted to.. or if sprint were to do the same thing you would be able to take the new voyager thats only with verizon and activate it on sprint. I see a real benifit in doing this. Opens a whole lot of choices to the end consumer.

CDMA has way better quality than GSM anyways. And since only a very small percentage of people using cell phones travel overseas there's really no reason for any of those big carriers to convert.
    Got that right. CDMA is actually newer technological wise of the two and is better when handling a higher data rate on CDMA networks, hence 4G. GSM is going to always be behind CDMA in the data area. IMHO, having experienced both...GSM sound quality seems more cellular sounding while I have found CDMA's to be more comparable to a lan line with crystal clarity. Europe is the one that needs to make a change.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    ISuddenly the others have to follow suit or they're seen as laggards.
    Hopefully the rest of those money-grubbing laggards will follow Verizon's lead on prorated Early Termination Fees too - like AT&T recently announced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Hopefully the rest of those money-grubbing laggards will follow Verizon's lead on prorated Early Termination Fees too - like AT&T recently announced.
    Unfortunately, as a matter of Verizon's new ETF policy, it's only available to new customers. Don't know if any existing customers have successfully had the new policy extended to them or not.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12