1.    #1  
    So I got the burned on ebay. Scored a 755p for just over $200 but it's got a dirty ESN (due to deliquency). Of course, Sprint refuses to do anything for me. Assuming returning it / getting a refund is not an option, what else can I do? Is the phone just garbage? I have a Treo 600 that I am going to deactivate that is pretty much destroyed. Anyway I can hack the ESN on the 755 and put assign it the one from the 600?
    Hmm, I don't get it. So Sprint won't let you do an ESN swap on your good account to the 755p because the 755p you just purchased used to belong to someone who wouldn't pay their bill?

That doesn't make sense. What does your good account have to do with that person's delinquent account? Nothing. That's like giving the buyer of a used car the points that the previous owner had on his/her driver's license.

I'd call back and explain it to them again. Perhaps the person didn't understand that you are NOT the same owner and have a completely different account.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  3.    #3  
    No, trust me. They understood. I had that exact conversation with them. For like an hour. That is their "policy", intended to prevent people from getting subsidized phones and then selling them for cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggersplat View Post
    No, trust me. They understood. I had that exact conversation with them. For like an hour. That is their "policy", intended to prevent people from getting subsidized phones and then selling them for cash.
    Wow! That sucks rocks.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    How did you pay? If you used PayPal, like everyone should on ebay, you do have recourse and will most likely get your money back. If you didn't use PayPal, then honestly, you're more trusting than I'd be. Can you post a link to the ebay item you bought?
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    How did you pay? If you used PayPal, like everyone should on ebay, you do have recourse and will most likely get your money back.
    Not always true. I got burned by a long time seller on Ebay. Great feedback, and a history of selling higher end phones. I bought a brand new PPC-6700 from this guy in Arkansas.
    Got it in 3 days. I immediately activated it. No problems.

Found out I didn't like the phone and relisted it on Ebay. Sold it for almost what I paid. But the guy that bought it was told by Sprint it was a stolen phone.

Any way, long story short... Some guy started up a commercial account through Sprint with a stolen identity, and ordered some 20 high end phones. By the time Sprint figured it out, the guy was long gone with all the $$$ drained from the Paypal account.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

I'm talking about the insurance included now on most Paypal purchases. See the photo below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I'm talking about the insurance included now on most Paypal purchases. See the photo below.
    http://www.paypalsucks.com/

You're not dealing with American Express. You are correct that on paper you should be protected by PayPal. But there are plenty of stories on the 'net (sure, you never know what is true) about troubles with PayPal when you dispute a charge. Yes, even when the evidence is clear as day. My point is that you should be careful out there and do what you can to protect yourself because you cannot always count on anyone else to protect you.

Good Luck
  9.    #9  
    the short version is i didn't really want my money back since i got the phone for such a good price i'd prefer to have gotten it activated. i was able to return it for a refund.

the long version of the story is, the ebay seller was a consignment sell-it-4-u type store. i contacted the store immediately and told them the phone was locked and that i needed to return it and that they should not to pay the consignor of the phone. the people at the consignment shop were super helpful and happened to be local. they contacted the original owner of the phone who claimed he was a dealer and could clear up the ESN. it didn't make any sense to me, but the consignment shop told me to bring the phone in and we'd see if we could get it to work. the original phone owner dropped off some cable and software that we were supposed to use. when i got up there, the cable he left didn't even have the right plug and was clearly for some other phone. i got a refund from the store and i presume the store will return the phone to the original owner.

and for the record, i did pay with paypal, even though they *do* suck. but i have it linked to a bank account with $1 in it so i can't get money stolen like i did before (~$700 stolen). and also, paypal charges my credit card instead of debiting my account, so i have protection there as well. i would have gotten my money back one way or another. i just wanted to use the damn phone.

anyway, lesson learned. do not buy used sprint phones without verifying the ESN first.

that part that i really don't understand is why Sprint refuses to help me. my account is in good standing. i have been a customer for at least 10 years. i guess i'm not surprised, but it just doesn't make any sense.
    Last edited by jiggersplat; 10/19/2007 at 06:58 PM.
    I feel for ya.

Here is the guranteed to cover your *** on eBay/Paypal.

First, Paypal protection is bullshyte, and a joke.

However, Amex protection is good. (Visa, MC and Discover are a lame, however.)

So basically register you Amex in your PayPal account.

Always keep your PayPal balance at zero. (if you have even a cent in the account, transfer it out.).

When using eBay, always pay by Paypal. When asked to funding source, choose your Amex, not you bank account.

This way, the full charge shows up on your Amex, and can be disputed easily.

I have had issues with deadbeats before, and Amex always saves the day.
  11.    #11  
    yeah, that is pretty much how i use my paypal account. no balance in paypal. no balance in the bank account it is linked to. i always fund purchases with my credit card.