1.    #1  
    http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/2427/1

Sprint Finally, Finally Deploys ESN Swapping Online

Written by Christopher Price
    Sunday, 14 October 2007

For years, we have chronicled Sprint's total failure to let users easily change phones. Despite not having SIM cards, despite turning down USIM cards, and adding complexity with PowerSource phones... Sprint has disabled ESN swaps since the rollout of Vision data services.

After years of consumer complaints, Sprint decided to address the change with the migration of the Ensemble billing system. The unified billing system finally integrates all Sprint and Nextel customers onto one account management system. That is infrastructure Sprint has needed to allow for online phone changes. Competitor Verizon Wireless avoided such issues, and has consistently allowed for online phone changes since before the turn of the century.

However finally, Sprint is rolling out online handset changes for Sprint PCS customers. After logging into My Sprint account management, you will be given the option to change active handsets. Your account must have already been migrated to the Ensemble billing system for this to take effect. If you have not yet been migrated, your account will be by the end of the year, and you can call customer service to find out if, and when your account will be migrated to Sprint's unified billing system.

It's about f'in time.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post

I guess they finally figure out they should get with the times. Anything to avoid having to wait on hold to talk to Sprint CS is an inprovement.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    So the question is... Is it still going to 'take up to 4 hours' for services to aggregate? If so, online ESN swapping isn't nearly enough...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    uh... when i do an esn swap- the handset is active before i hang up the call and the auto IOTA happens a few minutes later...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum View Post
    uh... when i do an esn swap- the handset is active before i hang up the call and the auto IOTA happens a few minutes later...
    I know this... You know this... Everyone that uses Sprint knows this... But Sprint won't guarantee this... and (possibly) being without a phone for up to four hours at a time isn't really a plausible answer to taking a SIM out of one phone and putting it into another and having service.

That is my gripe.

However, this is an improvement, don't get me wrong. I just don't see it as an end-all solution.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Yeah, my over the phone swap has always been quick. It's the holding for a rep that ticks me off.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    The question is: would they charge an activation fee when you do it online. It seems Sprint is bearing down on activation fees - getting more and more difficult to get the fee waived (have to make sure the CS notes it on your account).

Anyone know if the activation fee is automatically waived when swapping ESNs online?

P.S. Activations have been very fast lately. Usually less than 10 min including data provisioning. Just be sure to turn OFF the radio on the old phone (happened to my son once - BIG headache).
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Has either Sprint or Verizon given a reason for refusing to use a SIM card? I always figured it was due to the CDMA network.
    Last edited by caseyatbt; 10/17/2007 at 02:59 PM.
    YAY!!!
    That means fewer calls to their brain-dead CSR's! Drinks are on me.

I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    The question is: would they charge an activation fee when you do it online. It seems Sprint is bearing down on activation fees - getting more and more difficult to get the fee waived (have to make sure the CS notes it on your account).

Anyone know if the activation fee is automatically waived when swapping ESNs online?

P.S. Activations have been very fast lately. Usually less than 10 min including data provisioning. Just be sure to turn OFF the radio on the old phone (happened to my son once - BIG headache).
    I have never been charged an activation fee when I call customer service for an ESN swap. I get used to get charged if I had the store do it.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Where do you look in your online account to see if this is available yet?
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Where do you look in your online account to see if this is available yet?
    should be under phone and plan or account details... most logical places.

I've not seen it...

This is great news though. Guess I'll attempt to grab a cheap phone on ebay that I can take with me to games (football/basketball/etc). Sometimes it makes little sense to carry around a treo. I never liked the fact you had to call either...

This was one of the things I missed about verizon...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001