1.    #1  
    I brought my 650 into a Sprint store because my headset jack was broken......40 minutes later they tell me I had water damage and they couldn't fix it, would have to go through insurance and pay $50. I carry full ERP/Insurance btw. My phone has never been wet in any way, it's 7 months old, man was I pissed....it's a total scam. Anyone know how I can escalate this?
    Try a different Sprint store?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    isn't there a dot that they check?
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    Ask them to prove to you there's water damage
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for responding everyone. I made them bring it out from their locked door service area where the sales mgr showed me the "dot". I pressed him to show me where water, moisture anything had happened to no avail. This device is 5 months old and has NEVER been in or around water. I brought it in to fix the headset jack period, and I get this bullS***. I demanded they replace the jack and I'll deal with the "moisture" issue but that's against their policy. contract up in November, buh-bye Sprint!
    Did they sell you a new, or refurbished 650 seven months ago? What would they replace it with for $50, surely not a 650? Might be worth it. $15 vision plans sure make it worth staying with Sprint. Don't cut your nose to spite your face. In less than two months you will have saved your copay, the rest is money in your pocket.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Did they sell you a new, or refurbished 650 seven months ago? What would they replace it with for $50, surely not a 650? Might be worth it. $15 vision plans sure make it worth staying with Sprint. Don't cut your nose to spite your face. In less than two months you will have saved your copay, the rest is money in your pocket.

7 months ago I received a refurbished 650 through insurance (dropped the phone) which is a correct usage of the insurance. Asurion is replacing it again w a 650 for $50.

I certainly agree about the $15 vision plan and Sprints' overall cheaper rates but I get a lousy signal around and in my house, so tired of dropped calls. I will get AT&T Premier rates when I switch due to my wife's company affiliation.
    So if you got a refurb - did you check the dot? Maybe it was already "activated"? I'd push the issue with them. I got a refurb 650 from Asurion that out of the box didn't have a working ear speaker - the phone only worked on speaker phone.

After that i "asked for" and got a new 700p. It doesn't hurt to ask if they have a 755 to replace it with, they won't volunteer it. I got a refurb 700 a few weeks ago (battery issue) and it was GROSS. The screen was scratched and the phone hadn't been cleaned at all. YUCK. They replaced that with a new one the next day.

Anyway, if you got a refurb i'd wonder if it wasnt' already activated.
    m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TraecyS/FL View Post
    So if you got a refurb - did you check the dot? Maybe it was already "activated"? I'd push the issue with them. I got a refurb 650 from Asurion that out of the box didn't have a working ear speaker - the phone only worked on speaker phone.

After that i "asked for" and got a new 700p. It doesn't hurt to ask if they have a 755 to replace it with, they won't volunteer it. I got a refurb 700 a few weeks ago (battery issue) and it was GROSS. The screen was scratched and the phone hadn't been cleaned at all. YUCK. They replaced that with a new one the next day.

Anyway, if you got a refurb i'd wonder if it wasnt' already activated.
    Good point, and that dot could have been red already but to check that the unit must be opened which voids the warranty, sort of a Catch-22.
    Sprint totally pulled this same scam on me. I broght in my 700p cause the data port quit working (later I found out it was a bad cable that I was using) Anyway so I took it to a sprint store in virginia beach and they said It had corrosion and water damage and they would not fix it. I fought them for about a full week. calling sprint going to other sprint stores and It was no use cause they had already marked my phone as "damaged beyond repair" on the system, so no one else would even bother with it. The phone is old but It never had water damage.
    I learn about this Sprint insurance racket this week the hard way.
    They did pretty much the same thing to me.

I brought in my phone on monday because it was no longer charging the battery, they said there was "internal physical damage", specifically a dented board. I was in a hurry so i took the phone back and tried to get the insurance to replace the phone but they wanted $50 which i wasn't about to pay.

Tuesday I go to another sprint store and they refused to look at it, sent me back to the original store. I went back there and asked nicely to see this physical damage. The original technician was not there so another tech looked at the phone (not realizing there was a previous work order) and said I had water damage and they wouldnot replace it.

I return to pick up my phone and asked how it switched from a dented board to water damage, then they changed their story to "both water damage and dented board". Asked to see the damage and they showed me some metal cover that if you hold it up to the light you see a slight bend in it. and the water damage was pretty much the where the phone pressed against this same metal cover. It looked nothing liek water damage and the tech is looking at me with a straight face saying that it is.. (btw my phone never got wet or fell into water).

Oh forgot to mention this is a refurb phone i got from the same sprint store which they replace my new 700P with. It had a bad headset jack..

So the scam seems to go this way.
    1. Replace customers new phones with used parts and refurb phones
    2. if customer returns again, claim internal or water damage pointing out silly things due to the fact that it's not a new phone.
    3. tell customer to pay $50 deductable or buy a new phone
    4. Laugh all the way to the bank.

Also, while i was at the second sprint store on tuesday, I overheard them telling 3 customers the same thing, and i was only there for 15 mins or so.

Today I went to see the store manager, explained my situation and he personally ordered me a new phone.

Maybe the solution is to carefully explain the situation, making them aware you figured out the racket without actually saying so.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Sprint totally pulled this same scam on me. I broght in my 700p cause the data port quit working (later I found out it was a bad cable that I was using) Anyway so I took it to a sprint store in virginia beach and they said It had corrosion and water damage and they would not fix it. I fought them for about a full week. calling sprint going to other sprint stores and It was no use cause they had already marked my phone as "damaged beyond repair" on the system, so no one else would even bother with it. The phone is old but It never had water damage.
    I live in VAB too. The Sprint contract store at Loemans Plaza
    on VAB Blvd tried to pull the same crap on me when I attempted to get my wifes 650 repaired. Her earpiece speaker died and the phone was under the monthly warrenty plan. The tech opened up the phone and claimed the phone had physical damage. When pressed to prove this, he pointed to a tiny blemish on a circuit board and said the phone had been mistreated and I would have to file a $50 insurence claim. Mind you, the circuit board was protected by both the exterior case as well as an interior plastic shroud. When again pressed to explain how the board become "dented" through to distinct plastic covers, neither of which showed any damage, he refused to assist me any further.

I then took the phone to the corporate sprint store, next to chic-fil-a and an hour later walked out with a fully repaired 650 and a thank you note from the tech.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    There's something going on at Sprint that just smells of being illegal.
    This is why I never get Sprint insurance and always use Amex...extends the warrranty and extra year. No hassles.
    Hey I was wondering, I just bought a Treo650 off of ebay. I thought about adding the total protection plan for $7. I wanted to know what would happen if I filed an insurance claim for it. Would they replace it with a newer model smartphone? Will it have the same features as my smartphone has now? Has anyone done this before? I don't know what the normal procedure is.
    I know with Verizon/TEC/Assurion insurance, you get only 2 claims per year or contract. Not sure. Is sprint the same way? I would say forget about the headset jack issue and ask for the phone back.
    Verizon also pushed this scam to a friend over mine 3 yrs ago!
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.