Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://airave.sprint.com/tellMeMore.html

Wondering whether Verizon phones would also be compatible?
    I am so looking forward to this being available in VA. Sprint coverage at my places leaves much to be desired.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    So how much is it? I can't find that anywhere on the site.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    wow that is cool.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    So how much is it? I can't find that anywhere on the site.
    According to engadget, it's $49.99 initially, then $30/mo. for families or $15/mo. for individuals.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...in-denver-and/
    I was talking about this earlier... it is really great for those who work from the house... although, with sero, I don't need this since I'm no where near my 1250 minutes. Or for someone with poor reception in the basement or only have issues at home...

Have to give sprint credit for bringing out a product that is priced right and actually has some value. See if verizon follows. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  7.    #7  
    I live in a test market (Denver) and was told that there is a launch promo to get the unit for free...picking up later today!
  8.    #8  
    OK, I got one and just set it up. Initial thoughts:

1. I was a bit worried about the GPS reception (has an internal antenna to track your location--ensuring you are not using Sprint minutes via an Internet connection in Mozambique!) because my window faces north and the position of the Airave in my office is tangential to the window. But it picks up fine. One type of customer might have problems: getting the Airave to boost signals in a basement...might be difficult unless there is a window for the GPS signal.

2. Call quality clear (cannot distinguish from regular quality with good signal).

3. I thought data was only in 1X speed, but I've got my EvDO indicators on and data speed seems like my normal EvDO performance.

4. In the end, I'm not sure that it will be worth the $15 monthly fee, but I'll give it a shot!
    I live in Denver and have always had pretty poor reception in the house. I've been watching the news on these and when I saw they were out yesterday I picked one up right away. I didn't elect to do the add'l $15/month for unlimited, this kind of confused the guys at the store. They ended up giving it to me for free, with no activation or changes to my contract.

The GPS doesn't work in my basement. I've tried it all around the house, it seems to want to be next to a south or west facing window. Once it gets the GPS signal it works GREAT. I have a Treo 755p, and get at least 4 bars everywhere in the house now. Call quality is excellent for cellular.

Regarding data, I had heard the it doesn't support EVDO yet, which seems to be the case. I will be logged onto EDVO at home with the Airave off, then when it comes up and my phone switches over, it will "Log into Power Vision" but only get a 1x connection. HOWEVER, with the non-EVDO connection it is really solid and fast. I can stream music, etc. and I would dare say that it is at least as fast as I normally get via EVDO. When I use SlingPlayer via the Airave, it stays steady at 127K of bandwidth used. Being a network engineer, I would speculate that the lower latency makes the end result faster, even though it has less bandwidth. I should say that I have DSL broadband.

Overall, I am way impressed with this device, even more so that it was free. This will keep me as a Sprint customer.

For the other network/linux geeks out there, here's what running nmap against the Airave returns:
    22/tcp open ssh
    23/tcp open telnet
    80/tcp open http
    83/tcp filtered mit-ml-dev
    219/tcp filtered uarps
    296/tcp filtered unknown
    343/tcp filtered unknown
    378/tcp filtered dsETOS
    450/tcp filtered tserver
    465/tcp filtered smtps
    519/tcp filtered utime
    520/tcp filtered efs
    572/tcp filtered sonar
    612/tcp filtered unknown
    621/tcp filtered unknown
    715/tcp filtered unknown
    741/tcp filtered netgw
    748/tcp filtered ris-cm
    799/tcp filtered controlit
    806/tcp filtered unknown
    809/tcp filtered unknown
    812/tcp filtered unknown
    877/tcp filtered unknown
    954/tcp filtered unknown
    997/tcp filtered maitrd
    1364/tcp filtered ndm-server
    1454/tcp filtered interhdl_elmd
    1494/tcp filtered citrix-ica
    1510/tcp filtered mvx-lm
    1552/tcp filtered pciarray
    3292/tcp filtered meetingmaker
    3455/tcp filtered prsvp
    6668/tcp filtered irc
    7100/tcp filtered font-service
    9100/tcp open jetdirect

I tried logging in with a variety of credintials, but no dice:
    Mobilinux(TM) 4.0
    Linux/armv5tejl 2.6.10_ucmb-omap1710

Linux 2.6.10_ucmb-omap1710 ((none)) (pts/0)

(none) login:
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I got mine yesterday and posted my first impressions and shopping experience on my blog
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tangozebra View Post
    I live in Denver and have always had pretty poor reception in the house. I've been watching the news on these and when I saw they were out yesterday I picked one up right away. I didn't elect to do the add'l $15/month for unlimited, this kind of confused the guys at the store. They ended up giving it to me for free, with no activation or changes to my contract.

(none) login:[/INDENT]
    I didn't know having it without the $15/mo fee was an option. Did you have to do anything special to get this done?
    All I did was say that I was getting the unit because I had poor reception in my home and did not want to add the unlimited option at this time. One borchure I saw said that the $49.99 activation fee was waived if you signed up for the unlimited. I would have paid the activation fee if needed to avoid the extra monthly charges as I already have enough minutes.
    Calls via the Airave actually run through your broadband connection - correct? It is not really "boosting" your signal to a tower, just rerouting your call, right?
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Calls via the Airave actually run through your broadband connection - correct? It is not really "boosting" your signal to a tower, just rerouting your call, right?
    Yup, is like a CDMA-to-VOIP bridge.
    As long as you don't need to spend $15 for unlimited calling I'm all over this. My wife and I both have plenty of minutes, but we get terrible reception in our house. If this is free, or just a small fee, after buying the device it'll be great.

It's doing both. The Airave acts as a tower unlike T-Mobile's product so any Sprint phone can connect to it. The signal then gets converted to VOIP and is eventually reintegrated back into Sprint's network.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post

It's doing both. The Airave acts as a tower unlike T-Mobile's product so any Sprint phone can connect to it. The signal then gets converted to VOIP and is eventually reintegrated back into Sprint's network.
    But you are still at the mercy of questionable internet quality while it is in route. I work from home and my Sprint phone is my primary phone (I also use Skype a little). I could see using this to save on minutes, but I have good reception now. So, it would really only be a minutes saver for me - and I don't like VOIP very well as it is. Still a cool product though and I will keep my eye on it.
    But you are still at the mercy of questionable internet quality while it is in route. I work from home and my Sprint phone is my primary phone (I also use Skype a little). I could see using this to save on minutes, but I have good reception now. So, it would really only be a minutes saver for me - and I don't like VOIP very well as it is. Still a cool product though and I will keep my eye on it.
    This is going to be one of those products that's hit or miss. Some will find it useful and like it, some won't. In your situation, it's not that big of a deal. For me it is. I have a reliable broadband internet connection and I've been using VoIP for years with great success. For me, the ability to use my Sprint phone and its services through VoIP is wonderful.
    If you don't like VoIP then you won't like this product as it is essentially the same.

Have you ever used a real VoIP service such as VoicePulse, Vonage, etc? I've had VoicePulse for 3+ years and no one realizes I have VoIP instead of landline when they use the phone.

I'll be all over this product when I can get my hands on one! I just need a stronger reliable signal in the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
    If you don't like VoIP then you won't like this product as it is essentially the same.

Have you ever used a real VoIP service such as VoicePulse, Vonage, etc? I've had VoicePulse for 3+ years and no one realizes I have VoIP instead of landline when they use the phone.

I'll be all over this product when I can get my hands on one! I just need a stronger reliable signal in the house.
    That is a very good point - I was making a general judgement based on my experience with Skype - which I don't have optimized on my network anyway. As I said above, I'll still be looking for it when it hits Austin as it might help me save a lot of minutes.

IMHO, this is the wave of the future for Sprint. Based on the LTE standard that Vodaphone and VZW announced and with Sprint's work on WiMAX, I would bet they see that CDMA (and GSM) cell networks are not the future - total wireless is (voice/data on the same network).
    Quote Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

Well said. I've had Vonage for about three years and no one can tell the difference. I had some issues with a bad adapter when I first got it but once that was sorted out, it's been perfect. The only time it's an issue is if I'm uploading files and max out my upstream. But that's to be expected anyway. I'm obviously sold on VoIP and it's the future of telecoms in general. Once WiMax is fully deployed, all Sprint voice communications will be VoIP no matter what.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast