Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I currently have the unlimited data plan w/ VZW and I only use it to check emails. My question is if I downgrade to the 10MB plan will that be enough for me just to check emails? I would really like to hear from those of you that just use your Treos for emails and how much data you use in a month and how frequently do you check your emails. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    All it takes is a couple of ppl to send you pictures or one good sized powerpoint and you could be done for the month. I personally get attachments sent all the time that I like to see on my handheld. Word docs with some pics in them can get large as well.
    You should be able to track your data usage, even with an unlimited plan. It should state on your bill how much data you are using.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I refuse to pay Verizon's fees for data use, but I do find it important to get my emails. As a solution I have unlimited text messaging on my VZW plan, and use www.teleflip.com as a solution for getting emails.

It works for me, but I'm sure it wouldn't work for everyone, especially people who actually need to see attachments on the fly, or people who don't get important email from new people routinely.
    Forensic Scientist

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Theta,

I set up to receive the TMs but they're not coming through. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I finally got it to work, but I was only getting a couple TM at a time then I would get a bunch. Gues I'll hold off until it gets better.
    I may give it a go. I don't have data, and to upgrade two programs over the air it cost more than if I had to buy the program all over again.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Be careful!!! Teleflip spammed all my contacts and now I'm starting to receive marketing calls!! THEY WILL SELL YOUR INFO!!!!!!

Biggest mistake I made!
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    There is an option when you sign up with Teleflip about sending out a broadcast message informing you contacts about Teleflip - I paid attention and opted not to do this option.

That being said, I have several of my own email addresses that are Teleflip contacts on my account, and none of them have been spammed.

Nor have I had any marketing calls in the 2 months I have been using Teleflip. All in all I think the service is great, and highly reliable. And for me, it's definately a reasonable way to get email to my phone, without paying Verizon's highway-robbery rates for a data plan.

Remember the Teleflip service checks your email every 10 or 15 minutes, and then send the text messages (flippets up to 10 per email). They can't control how many text messages are actually passed along to your phone - that's your wireless provider's job. I have had excellent luck, and have no problem replying when I'm "out in the field" to time sensitive emails.

I'm sorry you have had events happen that left you less than pleased, but I seriously doubt they "sell your info", regardless of the fact you typed it all in caps, and put not one, but six exclamation points.
    Forensic Scientist

I just foward my emails to my number @vtext.com and don't have to use any third party software. In any event, doesn't that and teleflip count as out of network messages, in which case I only have unlimited in messages and 50 out of network messages.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    cadman, how do you check your emails once you forward them to vtext.com? You have to pay for it some how. True?
    PruSucks -

I am considering the same option that you are asking CadMan about. This is what I have come up with:
    1. All your emails forward to YOURNUMBER@vtext.com
    2. They then come to your phone as normal text messages
    3. You can hit REPLY and your response will be sent to the orig sender, no problem
    4. If you have an unlimited text plan, you pay nothing extra.

I would be interested in knowing the Pros/Cons that Cadman sees with this method.