1.    #1  
    Not sure if this is a problem with Sprint Vision or Google Maps, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

OK, so I was using Google Maps on my Sprint 650 problem-free for a long time. Yesterday used it in the a.m. - worked just fine as usual. In the pm got an error msg and wouldn't load map. Message said app needs a data connection so I checked my data connection by surfing the web. No problem there. Getting sites thru Blazer OK. Let it rest. Same problem today so I tried a reset. No improvement. Thought maybe the app was corrupted somehow so I used Uninstall to delete it. Went to the site www.google.com/gmm. It seemed to detect my device because the link said specifically "Download Google Maps for the Palm Treo 650." Installed version 1.2.0.8. (I had an older version before and had never upgraded) Still getting same error msg which says:

"Network Unavailable
    This program requires a data connection. Please contact your carrier, or visit www.google.com/gmm/configure.html on your computer for more info.
    (Error: network timeout)"

Do you think Sprint did something to the Vision data connection which is affecting the app? I know most of you have EvDO and maybe you're not dealing with regular Vision anymore, but I don't understand why this suddenly came up without any reconfiguration on my part. Any ideas?

Jim
    I have SERO and ran into a similar problem...a couple of times. In both incidences Blazer would work but Google couldn't connect to net. The first time happened after a Vision update. It cleared itself up after half a day. The second time happened after a failed Opera install. A couple resets and some time cleared that up.
  3.    #3  
    Hey thanks. It does seem to have corrected itself over time. Now just having trouble with DA which has become a must-have app for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by freediver View Post
    Hey thanks. It does seem to have corrected itself over time. Now just having trouble with DA which has become a must-have app for me.
    If you check the Apps forum here you will see that DA isn't having the problem - the site they pull the data from is down/reorganizing/something.

m100(for 1 day)->Sony PEG-S300->PEG-N710C->PEG-NR70 (needs a new battery!)->Treo 650 (bad connector)->650 (dead ear speaker)->700p (sucky battery life)->new 700 on way
    Quote Originally Posted by freediver View Post
    Not sure if this is a problem with Sprint Vision or Google Maps, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

OK, so I was using Google Maps on my Sprint 650 problem-free for a long time. Yesterday used it in the a.m. - worked just fine as usual. In the pm got an error msg and wouldn't load map. Message said app needs a data connection so I checked my data connection by surfing the web. No problem there. Getting sites thru Blazer OK. Let it rest. Same problem today so I tried a reset. No improvement. Thought maybe the app was corrupted somehow so I used Uninstall to delete it. Went to the site www.google.com/gmm. It seemed to detect my device because the link said specifically "Download Google Maps for the Palm Treo 650." Installed version 1.2.0.8. (I had an older version before and had never upgraded) Still getting same error msg which says:

"Network Unavailable
    This program requires a data connection. Please contact your carrier, or visit www.google.com/gmm/configure.html on your computer for more info.
    (Error: network timeout)"

Do you think Sprint did something to the Vision data connection which is affecting the app? I know most of you have EvDO and maybe you're not dealing with regular Vision anymore, but I don't understand why this suddenly came up without any reconfiguration on my part. Any ideas?

Jim
    Jim,

I have T-mobile and I have the exact same problem. Repeated resets and re- installations of the program hasn't cured anything. Is yours working OK now?
    I went to Holland, Grand Rapids and South Haven, Michigan this past week and I can't tell you how many times I used Google Maps both in the towns and travelling there and back from St. Louis, and it worked so good I couldn't believe it.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I just realized that I am in the wrong forum because T-mobile is on the GSM system. However, since the problems are similar, the problem is probably with Google.