1.    #1  
    Okay, so Sprint Navigation is based on Telenav. Sprint Navigation isn't available on the Palm Treos. Telenav is. I have seen a lot of people wondering this question, but haven't seen any definite answers yet- if someone pays for the Sprint Navigation Pack (I'm currently on the $15 power vision, but would upgrade to the $20 one for Navigation), is this compatible with the Telenav app that works on Palms. Sprint told me it isn't, but I've almost never gotten a correct answer from them, so has anyone here tried it?
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Okay, so Sprint Navigation is based on Telenav. Sprint Navigation isn't available on the Palm Treos. Telenav is. I have seen a lot of people wondering this question, but haven't seen any definite answers yet- if someone pays for the Sprint Navigation Pack (I'm currently on the $15 power vision, but would upgrade to the $20 one for Navigation), is this compatible with the Telenav app that works on Palms. Sprint told me it isn't, but I've almost never gotten a correct answer from them, so has anyone here tried it?
    I think the problem is that the Treo does not have a built in GPS device.. so if you want GPS you have to purchase the software and Bluetooth GPS yourself, and therefor would not need a 'Navigation' plan.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    I think the problem is that the Treo does not have a built in GPS device.. so if you want GPS you have to purchase the software and Bluetooth GPS yourself, and therefor would not need a 'Navigation' plan.
    I understand that, but I have a bluetooth GPS already, and for Telenav/ Sprint Navigation its a monthly fee as opposed to the one-time cost of TomTom. The Telenav software works great on the Treos with a Bluetooth GPS, and since Telenav provides the Sprint Navigation Pack I was hoping that the Navigation Pack (which would be cheaper) would work with Telenav.
    I've used TomTom for a few years and recently tried Telenav when I got my new Treo 755p, the subscription is $9.99/month and you need your own GPS device. Long story short, TomTom is a way better way to go for a number of reasons, unless you really don't want to mess with software on your Treo and files on your SD card (but then you should probably get a Blackberry instead of a Treo anyways...).

Telenav has horrible customer service. I've been trying to cancel my account for a few weeks now and it's still not done. I've had to send faxes and make multiple phone calls. I would really steer clear of it if I were you.

TomTom also leaves something to be desired when it comes to support, but I really haven't had to call them much so it's not as big of a deal.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tangozebra View Post
    I've used TomTom for a few years and recently tried Telenav when I got my new Treo 755p, the subscription is $9.99/month and you need your own GPS device. Long story short, TomTom is a way better way to go for a number of reasons, unless you really don't want to mess with software on your Treo and files on your SD card (but then you should probably get a Blackberry instead of a Treo anyways...).

Telenav has horrible customer service. I've been trying to cancel my account for a few weeks now and it's still not done. I've had to send faxes and make multiple phone calls. I would really steer clear of it if I were you.

TomTom also leaves something to be desired when it comes to support, but I really haven't had to call them much so it's not as big of a deal.

Yeah, I do use TomTom, but after being upgraded to the 755p, I've been considering Telenav so that it doesn't take up as much space on the smaller memory card.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Select your carrier and phone and it will tell you what you need. http://store.telenav.com/newstore/
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3 View Post
    Select your carrier and phone and it will tell you what you need. http://store.telenav.com/newstore/
    I understand that. Telenav has its navigation for $10 per month, which works on the Treo 700p and 755p. However, Sprint offers a navigation power vision pack, for an additional $5 per month. Sprint's navigation app isn't compatible with any Treos. It says on the site that Sprint's navigation app uses Telenav as a back-end, and both seem to require the phone number and a pin number in order to log in. I was hoping that the Sprint navigation pack would be compatible with the Telenav app, so that I could save $5 per month. Otherwise, I'd probably just stick with TomTom taking up the space on my card.

I guess that nobody has tried this, from the responses I've been getting?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I understand that. Telenav has its navigation for $10 per month, which works on the Treo 700p and 755p. However, Sprint offers a navigation power vision pack, for an additional $5 per month. Sprint's navigation app isn't compatible with any Treos. It says on the site that Sprint's navigation app uses Telenav as a back-end, and both seem to require the phone number and a pin number in order to log in. I was hoping that the Sprint navigation pack would be compatible with the Telenav app, so that I could save $5 per month. Otherwise, I'd probably just stick with TomTom taking up the space on my card.

I guess that nobody has tried this, from the responses I've been getting?
    I don't have the Treo 755p yet but this is exactly what I want to know too. I've also emailed Sprint asking them if with an external bluetooth GPS receiver the Treo 755p could work with Sprint Navigation since it is powered by Telenav but I got the "not supported response." I just see it as even better cost wise through Sprint Navigation than getting TomTom Navigator 6. At basically $5 a month that's only $60 a year. Millions of updated downloadable POIs available compared to the ones you're with on TomTom 6 until the next update is a big factor for me.

So my question since you've used TomTom is how often are the USA maps updated and it is always $150 for the maps? I'm guessing it's once a year and I saw that when the last update came out there were discounted prices. Is it always like that because if so then I'd be leaning towards the TomTom side again. lol.

Edit:
    This is my first post by the way. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY TREO NEXT MONTH!
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 07/20/2007 at 08:30 PM.
    I thought I read somewhere that TomTom put a bid on Telenav....

**Edit**

Oops, its Tele Atlas NOT TeleNav...sorry:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070723/nethe...tlas.html?.v=1
    Last edited by reverendrhino; 07/26/2007 at 02:51 AM.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Here is something, I just got a 755P yesterday. They said the the Treo needs an external device for the GPS. Then why does it work with the family locator feature?
    It does? I was told it didn't....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I just got off the phone with a sprint rep. I was upgrading my text messaging when the rep offered to upgrade my $15 vision pack to include;
    - picture, video, webmail
    - TV, Music, and Navigator
    ALL FOR NO EXTRA CHARGE
    Yeah right!? I have a Treo 755p

I went to this URL and followed the instructions. Now I have the telenav app for Treo 755p.
    But my phone doesn't have GPS built in. TeleNav is 9.99 a month. I recommend to everyone to get the TOMTOM Navigator! It works very well on all Treos; for a one time fee.

I called Sprint back and now the Navigator service is not free. Oh well, atleast I got my 300 text for $5 and some video/picture mail included into my $15 vision pack.
    Last edited by carlnunes; 10/27/2007 at 03:25 PM.
    c a r l n u n e s
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > iPhone( ) > Treo 755p
    WATCH THIS BEFORE POSTING