Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I do not want to ever sign any more contracts with carriers. Treo 755p phones are available brand new with clear ESN's without a contract for about $400. I am interested in purchasing one and buying a 450 minute plan plus the $15 data plan from Sprint on a month-to-month basis.

So I called up Sprint Customer Service (I am NOT presently a Sprint customer). The first person I talked to told me no, they won't sell me month-to-month service even if I have my own Sprint phone. He said that I would have to sign a 2-year contract, just to purchase service! I told him no thank you, I will take my business elsewhere.

Later I found a different Sprint 800# to call, and asked the same question, and got a different answer. This CSR first tried to convince me that I should buy a phone from Sprint. I told her I wasn't interested and would not sign a service contract, that I just want to know if they would sell me month-to-month service with the data plan if I have a Sprint phone. She went and talked to someone, and came back and told me that yes, they could do it, with a $36 activation fee.

Two different answers from two different CSR's doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence to go ahead and invest $400 in a Sprint phone, hoping the second CSR I talked to was right. Does anyone here have any knowledge or experience with acquiring ones own Sprint phone somewhere else, and being able to purchase month-to-month service as a new customer (with data plan) from Sprint?
    Use it to your benefit...

I think Sprint might have done away with month to month for new customers...

Go to ebay and get the Treo 755p for a new sign up for .99 I have dealt with ebay name mojowireless personally and they are quite good. You have to keep the phone/service 6 months in order to avoid paying full price for the phone and it is a contract but if you ever decide you want to walk away from sprint the termination is 200...

Your way you pay 400 but no contract....

My way .99 and if you want out $200
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tip. I'll consider that alternative. I've seen the 99 cent Treo 755p that the seller you mentioned sells on ebay. Do you know if Sprint's early termination fee is amortized down the longer you stay with the contract? Verizon is doing that now -- their early termination fee is $175, but that figure is reduced by $5 for every month of the 24 month contract that you fulfill. Apparently customers are complaining more and more about the friggin' contracts and the early termination fees, otherwise, VZW would certainly not have made this change ...

It really disgusts me the stranglehold the carriers have over the cell phone product, and the way they try to force everyone into contracts. It has a number of negative effects: It stifles innovation by cell phone manufacturers, because if you are an entrepreneurial company and want to produce a new phone with new features, you have to get the "approval" of the carriers (with the sole exception of Apple, due to their clout, and then only a poorly-rated carrier would go for their terms), not just produce your new phone product and let the marketplace of consumers decide. Forcing cell phone manufacturers to build their cell phones according to the dictates of carriers is akin to forcing car manufacturers to get approval for new car designs from highway builders, owners, and maintainers. The whole system is an oligopoly and is out of whack, and is the reason that the U.S. is behind Asia and Europe in cell phone design.

If we had a free market system in cell phones and carriers, we would be able to go to Electronics brick and mortar or online stores, and there should be rows of cell phones to choose from, and the boxes would be marked: "for GSM service", and list the carriers you could activate it with. And "for CDMA service, carriers you can activate with are Verizon and Sprint". Carriers are dumb pipes, but they have evolved into an oligopoly controling the whole cell phone hardware and carrier market. I only seldom advocate legislation, but I might support it in this instance to break up this oligopoly, just as Ma Bell was in the past, because they would only allow you to plug staid phones rented from them into their phone lines. Only thru legislation, were we finally given the freedom to plug anything we like into our land phone line, as long as we don't harm their network. This same process needs to happen to cell signal providers.

I have no problem with cell signal providers offering contracts, but customers should not be forced into them, and carriers should not be the only place you can purchase a new cell phone. In a free market system, if I want to buy my new cell phone from a carrier, and sign a contract to get some kind of discount on the phone, and/or on the price of the service, I could. But if I preferred to buy my phone somewhere else, and go to a carrier and buy monthly service, then I would be able to, and perhaps the carrier would offer one price for month-to-month, and lesser prices for varying lengths of contracts, if I chose to sign one in order to save money. But there is no reason the customer should ever be forced into signing a contract just to purchase cell service ... /end of rant
    Buy a phone with pre-paid minutes.
    You don't need a contract, course you're stuck with whatever phone they offer.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Buy a phone with pre-paid minutes.
    You don't need a contract, course you're stuck with whatever phone they offer.
    As I mentioned, I want a Treo 755p, or some feature-laden smartphone with Internet access, which are simply not available on pre-paid plans.

Further, aside from that -- I have looked into the "pre-paid plans" ... if you actually take the time to study these so-called "pre-paid" plans, they are a rip-off. They are fairly expensive, and all of those plans expire your minutes very very quickly if you don't use them ...

I visited the Philippines recently, and even though it's a third world country, almost everyone has a cell phone. The system is free market, competitive, and simple; it was refreshing. There are no contracts even offered. You buy any phone you like anywhere (and they are sold used and new, everywhere you go), then you pay to load minutes in it (and almost any kind of store, even tiny convenience food stores, are an agent to sell you minutes and load them on your sim card for you). You use your pre-paid minutes whenever you like, and they don't expire if you don't use them in a set period, as they do here with "pre-paid plans" (Minutes are only deducted from the caller's sim card -- incoming calls are free to the callee) There are two different suppliers of minutes, so they are always running specials to compete for your business. Sim cards are universal and interchangeable -- I was there when my friend's battery was dying when he got a call, so he quickly took his sim card out and put it in his brother's phone, and when the call came in again, he was able to receive his call on his brother's phone. Too bad our cell system isn't free market. (political note: The Philippine government is corrupt from top to bottom, so this free market phenomenom that I saw in cell phones and carriers, was not similarly evident in all products)